daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #741
somataki

Likes (Received): 0

Ok, the industrial revolution is really a huge issue. Totally agree. But what else? Someone talked about million of "gifts".
somataki no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #742
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by somataki View Post
Billion gifts??Funny. Just name 10 things from GB like that which are more important for every single person on earth than the "inventions" of China, like paper or the greek "inventions", like democracy, Socrates, Aristotle, Plato' s philosophical theories, Parthenon and its impact to world's architecture, theatre, olympic games, pythagorean geometry, etc etc. Im curious to learn.
Even the english language, is not the world's most spoken. Fist is the chinese, spoken by 1,205m pieople, 2nd the arabic and 3rd the spanish.
Oh **** off will you. Not only are you wrong but you and others like you have derailed this thread and led it to the point of madness. Take the ignorance to another thread and leave us in peace.

If you do not know what the UK has done then that is your problem. If you cannot see why English is the worlds most spoken language (do you know what most spoken means?) then that is your problem. You speak English yourself for christsake, think about it.

And to Sexas, desist your complaining, start listening to other people and allow the thread to get back on track immediatley, if it will again.

Last edited by Zenith; August 9th, 2008 at 03:15 PM.
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #743
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6360

First of Beijing's ceremony was spectacular, probably one of the best I've seen. The technology used and the way it was used was astonishing, and the design of the stadium came into its own last night.

London does have a tough act to follow, but at the same time I think people are getting a bit carried away if they expect something similar to Beijing just with United Kingdom styling. Beijing's was great, but it did give me this really aching feeling that the idea of an opening ceremony is becoming a bit redundant in these times. People know generally what Chinese culture is, and for me the show/parade of nations/flame order of the proceedings is becoming slightly jaded; we've in essence, seen it all before.

I reckon London could go two ways- something less spectacular but more symbolic, a lighting of the flame by a group of children or something, or possibly as I see it, a complete reworking of the entire opening ceremony. What if all the athletes in the stadium somehow lit the flame? What about a river of fire running down the River Lea in the park? How about several torches being lit across the country similar to how torches were lit in the past (was it the Spanish Armada war?) finally culminating in the huge torch by the stadium?

London has so many possibilities to play this one completely different to previous ones.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #744
Vanguard

Likes (Received): 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
First of Beijing's ceremony was spectacular, probably one of the best I've seen. The technology used and the way it was used was astonishing, and the design of the stadium came into its own last night.

London does have a tough act to follow, but at the same time I think people are getting a bit carried away if they expect something similar to Beijing just with United Kingdom styling. Beijing's was great, but it did give me this really aching feeling that the idea of an opening ceremony is becoming a bit redundant in these times. People know generally what Chinese culture is, and for me the show/parade of nations/flame order of the proceedings is becoming slightly jaded; we've in essence, seen it all before.

I reckon London could go two ways- something less spectacular but more symbolic, a lighting of the flame by a group of children or something, or possibly as I see it, a complete reworking of the entire opening ceremony. What if all the athletes in the stadium somehow lit the flame? What about a river of fire running down the River Lea in the park? How about several torches being lit across the country similar to how torches were lit in the past (was it the Spanish Armada war?) finally culminating in the huge torch by the stadium?

London has so many possibilities to play this one completely different to previous ones.
Brilliant idea!!!
Vanguard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #745
Vanguard

Likes (Received): 207

Quote:
Billion gifts??Funny. Just name 10 things from GB like that which are more important for every single person on earth than the "inventions" of China, like paper or the greek "inventions", like democracy, Socrates, Aristotle, Plato' s philosophical theories, Parthenon and its impact to world's architecture, theatre, olympic games, pythagorean geometry, etc etc. Im curious to learn.
Even the english language, is not the world's most spoken. Fist is the chinese, spoken by 1,205m pieople, 2nd the arabic and 3rd the spanish.

Habeus corpus ?
Vanguard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #746
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

I also thought that the path of fireworks tracking all the way to the Olympic stadium would look incredible on the snaking thames. Imagine doing that but with flames. I thought of the lighting of the beacons of Minas Tirith in Lord of the Rings when I saw it.
Old August 9th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #747
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Oh **** off will you. Not only are you wrong but you and others like you have derailed this thread and led it to the point of madness. Take the ignorance to another thread and leave us in peace.

If you do not know what the UK has done then that is your problem. If you cannot see why English is the worlds most spoken language (do you know what most spoken means?) then that is your problem. You speak English yourself for christsake, think about it.

And to Sexas, desist your complaining, start listening to other people and allow the thread to get back on track immediatley, if it will again.
I think I'm in love with you and your abrasive ways.

The UK has done more to shape the modern world than any other country on Earth, anyone that doesn't realise this is simply ignorant.
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #748
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Ok, the industrial revolution is really a huge issue. Totally agree. But what else? Someone talked about million of "gifts".
Computers, the Magna Carta, East Enders etc. etc.

Do you really want me to name them all?
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #749
Leesome

Likes (Received): 1963

East enders... HAHAHAH!! love it...

Anyway, can we now get back to what this thread is actually about?!?!?
Leesome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #750
ecotecture

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboi View Post
[IMG]http://i28.************/vpduf8.jpg[/IMG]

LONDON EXPECTED TO BE EXCELLENT

Experts believe that London 2012 will have a hard job to match
the opening ceremony and organisation of Beijing 2008 however
the British are very creative and the 2012 games are to be more friendly
and relaxed, less formal than 2008 games.
The British are renowned for there creativity and eccentric ideas that should
be exciting and the Brit's don’t need to spend the money to achieve spectacle.

2012 games will be a show case of British talent and creativity and be very diffrent
from 2008. Each nation does its own ideas and the UK olympics will be very 'British'

Already London 2012 has a diffrent stadium concept from the previous games this is only
the start for London 2012 !
London does dare to be diffrent from the previous games!
From bbc

I can feel the creativity while looking at the logo!
ecotecture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #751
ecotecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
But the United Kingdom has had far more influence than China, ...

Imperialism isn't actually a good thing.

Edit: The industrial revolution wasn't really the best invention. Green Olympics and celebtrating the industrial revolution won't work.
And the language came from europe. It is familiar with dutch and german for example.

Last edited by ecotecture; August 10th, 2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old August 10th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #752
YelloPerilo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 35

Monty Python should be revived, they have the humour, the creativity and they embody what most people (outside of UK) would consider to be truly British.
YelloPerilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #753
ecotecture

Little Britain!
Old August 10th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #754
UK Resident

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing
But the United Kingdom has had far more influence than China, ...
That's a very bold statement.

Quote:
Imperialism isn't actually a good thing.
lol... I mentioned somewhere else, that whoever our artistic director is, needs to tread carefully over what to present in the opening ceremony, especially in terms of our history.

Quote:
Edit: The industrial revolution wasn't really the best invention. Green Olympics and celebtrating the industrial revolution won't work.
lol... somewhat a contradiction....

Quote:
And the language came from europe. It is familiar with dutch and german for example.
Yes, that is true. Does anyone know whether the originator is Latin? Someone mentioned it once, but I wasn't sure. As for english being widespread , that again is a product of Imperialism.

Anyway, like our language, the industrial revolution (no matter how inappropriate) and other later inventions, were formed on the back of other 'inventions'.
UK Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #755
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Resident View Post
Yes, that is true. Does anyone know whether the originator is Latin?
No, although Latin did have later influences on English.

Most languages spoken from India westwards are - amazingly - believed to have a common source language known as Proto Indo-European. 1 billion people now speak a language originating from this original language; a language spoken thousands of years ago by a tiny number of people in a small area (believed to be close to Ukraine).

As you can see from the diagram, English is on the Germanic branch. This is because Germanic tribes (who were initially groups of adventurers) introduced a completely new language to England which overpowered the Celtic languages that were spoken in these regions.

Latin is on the Italic branch which developed seperately from the Germanic languages.

Last edited by RobH; August 10th, 2008 at 09:15 PM.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #756
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Who cares about the opening and closing ceremonies anyways? That is not what the Olympics are about!! Good facilities, a safe environment, and providing excellent security are the most important components to any successful Olympics.

It will be nice to have this event in a country where people are free to express their opinions and practice whatever religion they choose.
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #757
ecotecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Who cares about the opening and closing ceremonies anyways?
ME!!!
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #758
ecotecture

I could imagine a very "royal" looking ceremony, in honour to the Queen. She is ruling the modern UK, but represents like no other person on earth the old royal monarchy IMO. Maybe it's the last chance for the UK to make a very royal opening with such legendary woman!

(Well, I hope you understand what I wanted to say. I can't find the right words at the moment.)
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #759
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

It'd be nice to have a reflection of the Diamond Jubilee in there somewhere, I agree.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #760
chest

Likes (Received): 13293

hopefully the opening ceremony for London 2012 will be about half an hour long. I've always hated opening ceremonies.
chest no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics