daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #761
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

I think you might be dissapointed
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #762
chest

Likes (Received): 13293

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I think you might be dissapointed
I probably will, it'll be the usual 3 hours of women prancing about in unison, men doing something slightly butcher - in unison and then a load of fireworks.
If I was organizing it I would do something absolutely spectacular for about 15 mins - using London's hi-tec film animators somehow - maybe 5 giant hologams of athletes carrying the olympic rings - walking across the London skyline and meeting up at the stadium and then bring in the teams - 1 hour MAX.
chest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:31 AM   #763
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 22

as long as they use canary wharf for additional fireworks i will be happy, that skyline is too good to not have behind the stadium in a long shot. but if they get sarah shite soprano on the case i will refuse to go lol (look heres me already confident of a seat ha ha)
brummad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #764
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

oh and the athletes took 1 hr 50 mins to come in last friday
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #765
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

Likes (Received): 6

London 2012: No String Attached
Maxxclip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #766
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

bbc>

Olympics Minister Tessa Jowell has said Britain will work to keep empty seats at London's 2012 Games to a minimum.

There were rows of empty seats at some early events in Beijing, despite the Games being officially sold out.

Ms Jowell said she was talking to Beijing's organising committee about the issue adding: "Clearly our aim is to make sure seats are filled."

She added the Bird's Nest may be the last iconic Olympics stadium - London's will be scaled down after 2012.

Officially, 6.8 million tickets have been sold for the Beijing Games.

But Ms Jowell, who is in the Chinese capital to observe the games, said it was not unusual to have some empty seats at the early stages of the Olympics.

And she said there were "lots of lessons to learn" for the planning of the London Games.

Ticket rules

She said there would be day tickets to the Olympic Park at the 2012 Games so people could watch the big screens and be part of the atmosphere, even if they could not get tickets for a venue.

Our focus is making sure that every single Olympic building has a very clear legacy purpose

Tessa Jowell

The 2012 team was also talking to Bocog - the organising body for the Beijing games, about why there had been empty seats at some early events.

"Clearly our aim is to make sure seats are filled with schoolchildren if not by people who have paid the full price, but there are rules that the International Olympic Committee set about ticket pricing," Ms Jowell told BBC News.

"We have got to look at how we apply those rules in practice to minimise the serried rows of empty seats."

Heavy security

Asked how London could compete with the Beijing Games - where total spending is estimated at £20bn - Ms Jowell agreed they were on an "extraordinary scale" and said there was lots to learn.

"The Bird's Nest stadium is probably the last iconic Olympics stadium.... why? Because its capacity is a bit over 85,000 - in the UK we have an 85,000 seater stadium - more than - and it's our national stadium, Wembley.

"We don't need another 85,000 seater stadium. You can't, on the one hand, bemoan the fact that we are not going to have an iconic stadium like the Bird's Nest and at the same time go on about white elephants being left behind after the Olympics are over.

"Our focus is making sure that every single Olympic building has a very clear legacy purpose and if there isn't legacy need then we will build temporary venues and take them down at the end."

London's 80,000 seat Olympic stadium is designed to be scaled down to a 25,000 seater stadium after the Games.

Ms Jowell also agreed that security at the Beijing Games was "quite heavy" and said: "Our aim is that security will be proportionate, the games will be safe and secure but people will not feel under surveillance."
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #767
jerseyboi
BANNED

Telegraph>
What will 2012 be like?!!!!!!!!!!!!! Us Brits can laugh Ourselves

The Dance of the Plump Sugar Fairies: 14,000 gymnasts, tumblers and dancers contributed to the Beijing event. Given the costs involved, London will not seek to match such numbers. However, we can physically fill the space the 14,000 Chinese would have occupied. This will be done by recruiting participants from the clinically obese community.

No more than 200 would be required, who could be accessed via a quick trawl of a couple of fast-food restaurants. Not only would this reflect accurately the face of modern Britain and demonstrate the Games' steadfast commitment to inclusivity, it would provide an unbeatable opportunity for the active participation of one of our core sponsors, McDonald's.

The Story of London: Next, various tableaux will tell the tale of our proud capital. Not in a dull procession of dates and figures, but making reference to vital parts of its culture. First up will be a chorus of traffic wardens, police community support officers and Group 4 security personnel dancing to a specially commissioned tune from Sir Elton John: If Your Name's Not On The List, You're Not Coming In.

This will be followed by a mime detailing the history of the London pub. Chas and Dave will provide the musical background as Eric Bristow plays darts on a giant board and a series of chirpy Cockney characters hit each other over the head with beer bottles. The climax will come when a team from a brand-enhancement agency arrives to supervise the transformation of the premises into a Thai eatery.

Britain's Got Talent: The centrepiece of the evening will be a mass version of the reality show. Since it is too dangerous to unleash the real thing in public, a hologram of Piers Morgan will conduct auditions among the audience on their way into the stadium. Anyone demonstrating ability with a tune will be invited up on stage to join Dale Winton and Barbara Windsor leading a mass singalong through the back catalogue of McFly.

The Lighting of the Flame: Who will we get to apply the final touch to light the cauldron? It is anticipated that speculation will fill the papers for weeks in advance about the identity of the Olympic hero given the honour. Will it be Coe or Ovett, Thompson or Sanderson, Edwards or Lewis? To keep the secret locked tight, not even the participants will be informed.

Thus, as Sir Matthew jogs into the arena and hands on the torch to Sir Steve, who in turn gives a light to Dame Kelly, the guessing will continue. Right up until the moment that Boris Johnson steps forward. At this point, it will be revealed that, since it would be hugely insensitive in a time of rising gas prices to keep a flame burning continuously throughout the Games, London will be doing its own thing.

As the eyes of the world turn to the East End, the mayor will be winched high up on to the roof of the temporary Kwik-Fit stadium, where he will remain in situ for the entire fortnight. In lieu of a flame, his hair will flap in the breeze, visible as far away as Streatham.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #768
dnp

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
The stupidity on this website is astounding at times. Interesting to note that it mostly comes from US forumers.
HAHAHA I'm from the UK. Good counter-argument though, I really like the way you made your point in a mature, well thought out & logical manner, in which you clearly stated facts and your opinions and did not resort to xenophobia or insults; you are truly a class act and represent the pinnacle of savvy forum contributors. End of sarcasm.
dnp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #769
UK Resident

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
It'd be nice to have a reflection of the Diamond Jubilee in there somewhere, I agree.
We should definitely have a theme to do with the monarchy as it is a key element that runs through our history. Unfortunately, the UK is such a fragmented country (in many ways) that a lot of people will object to this.
UK Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #770
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotecture View Post
I could imagine a very "royal" looking ceremony, in honour to the Queen. She is ruling the modern UK, but represents like no other person on earth the old royal monarchy IMO. Maybe it's the last chance for the UK to make a very royal opening with such legendary woman!

(Well, I hope you understand what I wanted to say. I can't find the right words at the moment.)
You must be joking! The royal family is a bunch of useless conservative people. They should have disappeared along with the empire.

I would like the opening ceremony to show the modern Britain with a touch of history. But keep those bloody royal idiots out of the ceremony!
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #771
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

unfortunately we cannot ignore the royals, royal buildings will provide an amazing backdrop to the games, most of the tourists to london will want to see royal things, yes we may not like the windsors but my god they make us money!!

i have reservations about using royal themes in an opening ceremony, surely our queen will open the games and i think that is a marvellous way to celebrate the jubulee and incorporate them into the games, after all i fully expect lizzies granddaughter to be winning gold in london 2012!!
Old August 13th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #772
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

i hope london has amazing music, good use of lighting and special effects and lots of entertainment.
i hope they spice up the part where the athletes enter and also probably have an airshow above the stadium with the coloured smoke thing (very british).
imo, i think london will do a better job than beijing. all beijing did was show off with their inventions and telling the world about their ancient culture and not their modern culture. i hope that london celebrates modern britain as well as historical britain and multi-cultural britain. just put on one hell of a party.
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #773
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

The Queen come out do a modern dance number after William and Harry do a drum solo, that will be a something I want to watch...LOL

I think London will come up with something...like stonehenge, powerful Queen Victoria, Rock & Roll music...all are very Brit. Just don't let Elton John direct, he will make everything pink!

Last edited by Sexas; August 13th, 2008 at 07:09 PM.
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #774
MGM

SUGGESTION TO LONDON 2012 OPENING CEREMONY

Here's a suggestion for the almost two hours painfull waiting of the athletes on the opening ceremony:

MGM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #775
Big Texan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
Rock & Roll music
That is what London needs to do, show off there music beckground, some of the greatest bands the world has ever known have come from England...SO SHOW US! Dont out do Beijing, just do what you do well, and that is music, make it a 2 hour concert, then bring out the athlets, that is how you out do Beijing, and for once I will be able to understand what the songs are saying.
Big Texan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #776
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

athletes will wait in the basketball venue. or has that changed.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #777
MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
athletes will wait in the basketball venue. or has that changed.
I'm talking about the waiting INSIDE the olympic stadium during the parade. The first teams waits almost two hours on their feet, considering only the parade's time. After this they still have to wait for the rest of the ceremony [speeches, olympic flag, olympic flame]. More than 3 hours raised.

Also consider that not all the athletes go to the opening because of this.
MGM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #778
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

We were just tlaking about this and with the stadium being made out of canvas, we reckon the cauldron lighting mechanism will malfunction, spraying sparks all over the place and we'll have one big fire of burning canvas!

It would be a memorable opening!
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #779
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM View Post
I'm talking about the waiting INSIDE the olympic stadium during the parade. The first teams waits almost two hours on their feet, considering only the parade's time. After this they still have to wait for the rest of the ceremony [speeches, olympic flag, olympic flame]. More than 3 hours raised.

Also consider that not all the athletes go to the opening because of this.
ah. you meant waiting during, not waiting on.

Solution: have teams enter from each entrance onto the field, limiting the time it takes. exercise balls are great too.

maybe have glow in the dark exercise balls.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #780
jerseyboi
BANNED

2012 London Cauldron

noticed in the plans, for the 2012 cauldron>

http://planning.london2012.com/uploa...1%20(2268).pdf and>

http://planning.london2012.com/uploa...3%20(2269).pdf

great its out side the stadium must be high! to been seen?
from inside?

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics