daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #841
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

I feel a bit sorry for the organisers at the mo because with the credit crunch and price rises they are having a tough time with the budget.People who are short sighted about this will be getting on there backs about the changing designs complaining that matarials are costing more than the budget is allowing.I for one think they are doing a great job in difficult times no other olympic organising organisation has had to go through this(well maybe montreal)But times are tough and it's unfortunate to be london
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #842
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrio415 View Post
I feel a bit sorry for the organisers at the mo because with the credit crunch and price rises they are having a tough time with the budget.People who are short sighted about this will be getting on there backs about the changing designs complaining that matarials are costing more than the budget is allowing.I for one think they are doing a great job in difficult times no other olympic organising organisation has had to go through this(well maybe montreal)But times are tough and it's unfortunate to be london
Boo hoo. London is no the only city that has to deal with the ripple effect of the credit crunch of the global economy. Its not the only city/region that needs to prepare for a mega-event. I'm a bit concerned about its procurement issues. That roof and facade steel structure could be made in Italy and shipped to the UK next year. The earlier its sorted out the cheaper it is.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #843
high_flyer

Likes (Received): 16

It was quite funny, Phelps was talking about how he's never been to London before, and is looking forward to visiting the venue where he will competing in 2012 as preperation.
"OK Michael, see that big patch of mud there? In a few years it will be the Aquatics Centre.......just visualise it for a moment"
high_flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #844
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6360

From this week's Time Out 2012 special:

1 Olympic Stadium
Construction began in May on the 80,000-seat main stadium, which will be converted into a 25,000-seat venue after the Games. The design comes from Team Stadium, a consortium that includes the builders of the Emirates Stadium.

2 Basketball Arena
A temporary venue that will hold 12,000 seats for basketball and handball, and 10,000 for wheelchair basketball and wheelchair rugby.

3 Energy Centre
Instead of having individual systems in each building, the Energy Centre will generate hot water, heating and electricity for buildings throughout the Park, using biomass boilers and a combined cooling, heat and power plant.

4 International Broadcast Centre/Main Press Centre
A 24-hour media hub for around 20,000 broadcasters, photographers and journalists.

5 Handball Arena
The venue for handball, modern pentathlon and the Paralympic sport of goalball, with a design to be chosen this year. After the Games, the arena will become a multi-sport centre for community use, training and small-scale events.

6 Hockey Centre
A temporary building with two separate pitches seating 15,000 and 5,000. Designs are due to be completed next year. After the Games, the centre will move to Eton Manor and will have 5,000 permanent seats.

7 Eton Manor
Named after the sports centre that formerly stood on this site, it will be the venue for Paralympic archery (with 3,000 seats) and wheelchair tennis (10,500 seats). Part of a new group of community and training facilities after the Games, including five-a-side football.

8 BMX Circuit
Part of the VeloPark, an outdoor venue with 6,000 temporary seats.

9 Velodrome
Olympic gold medal-winning cyclist Chris Hoy was among the team that selected the design for the 6,000-seat arena. After the Games, a road cycle circuit and mountain bike course will be added to create a VeloPark for community and elite sport use.

10 Sponsors’ Village
A hub for London 2012’s key partners at the heart of the Olympic Park.

11 Olympic Village
Beds for 17,320 athletes during the Olympic Games and 8,756 during the Paralympics, plus shops, restaurants and an ‘International Zone’ in which to meet friends and family. Afterwards, the village will become part of the overall Stratford City regeneration scheme.

12 Aquatics Centre
A 50m main pool and 25m diving pool with 17,500 seats and a 50m training pool, plus a temporary water polo venue. Designed by Zaha Hadid, the centre will be turned over to both community and elite use after the Games.

And a render of the permanent Handball Arena. I think (hope) the black stuff is backlit glass.

image hosted on flickr
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #845
JILN
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

BRAVO LONDON...

Wow, wow, fantastic development in London, great games, great city, great people, all. I'm wiht the open mouth.

Last edited by JILN; August 19th, 2008 at 07:49 PM.
JILN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #846
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_flyer View Post
It was quite funny, Phelps was talking about how he's never been to London before, and is looking forward to visiting the venue where he will competing in 2012 as preperation.
"OK Michael, see that big patch of mud there? In a few years it will be the Aquatics Centre.......just visualise it for a moment"
He's never been to London? Yet another person to not truly experience wonder. We should play some rousing classical music as he approaches key landmarks. A seasoned shakesperian actor shall read aloud the key stages of construction:

'Ah Mr Phelps they say no man can live your speed, no man. THIISSS PHELPS, * bites lip looks overcome with emotion. *, THIS SHALL BE THE STADIUM, this shall be the future, the calm before the storm Phelps, AND BY GOODNESS WHAT A STORM IT SHALL BE! IT WILL SHAKE THE VERY FOUNDATIONS OF THE EARTH (quite literally you see)..

I only wish I was you Mr Phelps, so I could witness the wonder from your hallowed perspective, a man at his pinnacle, a man who stares into the face of defeat and laughs, LAUGHS HEARTILY.

This is the place to do it Phelps, this is it. THE AQUATIC CENTRE PHELPS....gawwwwd...what a spectacle! What a triumph! What a roar! ROAAAR' * thumps his fist into the air triumphantly.*

Now i'm gagging for a cup of tea and a wee so come along.
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #847
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6213

of course it will be on a London double decker, that tour. The Queen can tear his ticket when he comes on.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #848
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

LOL. A robot Princess Diana can show him around the Olympic Park.

"Over here is the Velodrome... Shall we go help some AIDS orphans now?"
Old August 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #849
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

Less than five days to the handover to London2012
in Beijing....

summer games>

1996 XXVI Atlanta, Georgia United States gone

2000 XXVII Sydney, New South Wales Australia gone

2004 XXVIII Athens, Greece gone

2008 XXIX Beijing China now

2012 XXX London United Kingdom next!

Last edited by jerseyboi; August 20th, 2008 at 12:57 PM.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #850
Metroguy78

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboi View Post
Less than five days to the handover to London2012
in Beijing....

summer games>

1996 XXVI Atlanta, Georgia United States gone

2000 XXVII Sydney, New South Wales Australia gone

2004 XXVIII Athens, Greece gone

2008 XXIX Beijing China now

2012 XXX London United Kingdom next!
Wow London is to hold the triple X games :O)
Metroguy78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #851
Downfallen

Likes (Received): 2

When even the locals are making fun ( in a divertive kinda way) that we are 'cheaping' it'
I shudder.
The more we 'shave off' for whatever reason, true (credit crisis) or pretend ( we want it to be a green games..so wont be doing this or that).....the more we ensure the games dont come back over here anytime soon.
But who cares about that anyway.? UK wont be on the return list for anytime soon anyway ..right?
Cop out reason to cheap out if you ask me..

What a waste of an opportunity....GB should be lobbing everything it has at this , rather than capping spend here and there.
But of course....I'm sure the 'jolly good show' brigade would rather we dont spend...and rely on quaint British traditionalism & hospitality to impress the rest of the world....yeah that'll work

We need more cash....
Downfallen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #852
DarJoLe

I find it amazing one minute the British are complaining about the budget being busted and what a waste of money the whole thing is going to be, and then next minute there's talk that we need to spend more and build even fancier venues.

Never happy.
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #853
Downfallen

Quote:
I find it amazing one minute the British are complaining about the budget being busted and what a waste of money the whole thing is going to be, and then next minute there's talk that we need to spend more and build even fancier venues.

Never happy.
errr
That sound like a moan to me.
The usual British type...ie moaning about both sides of a debate....not productive or supporting a POV...just moaning

We all know ....all of us...we are going to underdeliver expectation in these 2012 games...based on what the world expects the next Olympics to bring
Dont be bashful about it.....or suggest that our 'attitude' 'hospitality' or 'enthusiasm' is going to bridge that chasm
We need more money coming in...simple as that...and it aint coming from the government....

The thought of the Chinese pissing themselves laughing on what we can put up for 2012, following their efforts.....makes me sad...because they will.
Is that how we want to be seen....?
The 'frugal' Games?
All well and good if the following hosts follow the same song....but if the next Games after London..'does' invest and put on a Beiijing type event......how shit will London look?
(and guarentee the games dont come back here for a long long time)

Last edited by Downfallen; August 20th, 2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #854
DarJoLe

Just chucking extra money at the venues doesn't mean the Games will be any more of a success than Beijing's.

How much do you suggest we raise the budget by? Where will that money come from? What would you spend it on? How would you try and better Beijing? What do you consider a successful Games, the wow factor of the opening ceremony? The number of records broken? How amazing the athletes were? How iconic the buildings are? The number of smiles on spectators' faces? The legacy left over after the Games are over? How much money the Games contributed to the host city's economy? How much money the venues are creating five years after the Games? The amount of regeneration still occurring fifteen years after the Games?
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #855
Downfallen

Quote:
Just chucking extra money at the venues doesn't mean the Games will be any more of a success than Beijing's.
With our plans and budgets....you are likley wrong
'chucking' more money at our games would give us better facilities...better legacies and keep the athletes singing the praises of our games ....
Just as athletes seem to be doing in Beiijing now......lots of calls of
'Best facility in the world' etc

As we are spending such a vast amount of money redevloping an existing area...and with our appalling cross town transport links....and reliability
Why not have 'all' the stadium based events.....on the Olympic Village site?
Why make do with spreading the events around outdated facilities around London...substandard sports facilities competitors will have to travel back and forth too ? Lords ....Horseguards Parade...Excel etc

Last edited by Downfallen; August 20th, 2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #856
jerseyboi
BANNED

Brand new start with 2012

In an interview with BBC, Lord Coe said that the Beijing games where amazing and truly spectacular
but the last of the grand games.
London 2012 will be very diffrent, and have new ideas and marks a new direction
for the olympics.
Its a full stop after the Beijing games and a new start with 2012 he said.
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #857
Downfallen

Quote:
In an interview with BBC, Lord Coe said that the Beijing games where amazing
but the last of the grand games.
London 2012 will be very diffrent, and have new ideas and marks a new direction
for the olympics.
its a full stop after the Beijing games and a new start with 2012 he said.
I'll interpret that for you.

'err.....we dont have the money to do what Beiijing has done.
Soooo......we are going to usher in the 'new' games...where its not as fancy, but we will do our best to make it work....
We are ushering in these 'new' games for the merits of efficiency and being green.....absolutely not because we dont have enough money...honest < cough> ..'

<Seb Coe exits stage left.........quickly>
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #858
jerseyboi
BANNED

[IMG]http://i33.************/oqwq54.jpg[/IMG]

Visit London is launching a £4m global ad campaign ahead of the Olympic handover this weekend to promote the capital as a tourist destination in the run-up to the 2012 Games.

The campaign, which uses the strapline "See the world. Visit London", aims to capitalise on the momentum of the next Olympic cycle officially being handed over from Beijing to London on Sunday.

Visit London's ad campaign will include a 50-second film featuring a map of London imposed on to the Earth as seen from space, which will run online internationally and across outdoor screens in the UK as well as in the London Underground. There will also be an international press, poster and digital advertising campaign.

video link>>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/vide...20/advertising

Last edited by jerseyboi; August 20th, 2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #859
Downfallen

How arrogant?
I thought we had gotten beyond the stage we thought we ruled/represented the world
I've lived here a long time....London certainly doesnt 'represent' the world...there are much more interesting places in the world
Regardless of my views on 2012 I think this sets an awful tone...as tourist marketing.

Why not...something that just promotes London...as a cool city with some interesting things to see, more than enough to fill a holiday?
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #860
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8156

Oh stop whinging.

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics