daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #861
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfallen View Post
I'll interpret that for you.

'err.....we dont have the money to do what Beiijing has done.

<Seb Coe exits stage left.........quickly>
correction: we arent allowed to spend excessive amounts of money the way BEijing has because people and media in the UK are actually allowed to hold those in charge accountable for using their tax money.

as before some very confused people. even those that actually live in london. ill put it down to growing up.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #862
Englishman
Urge Desire Rest

Likes (Received): 96

I still think it's a shame 2012 is not using the old logo featuring the Thames. The visit London advert reminded me of it.
Old August 20th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #863
Downfallen

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
correction: we arent allowed to spend excessive amounts of money the way BEijing has because people and media in the UK are actually allowed to hold those in charge accountable for using their tax money
Correction...
We ( the Government) dont have the money to spend on it....
If they had the money to spend....it would find a way through prying eyes.
Further investment would have to come from 'public funds' ( lottery) or an unlikley(and undesirable) redirection of government funds, or through some creative private investment initiatives.
The governments financial position has been made crystal clear as regards funding for 2012
Downfallen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #864
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

I wouldnt call a 9 billion pound package as "limited" . Thats a huge sum of money, and it doesnt indicate any signs of a lack of commitment to the Games. The designs/architecture were thought out well before the 9 billion pound package. That doesn't include many other major investments accelerated due to the Games or infrastructural improvements directly linked to the Games.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #865
sam-whit-kid
'what are digits?'

Likes (Received): 1

4 million on a shitty ad campaign that people will hate for making London look overpowering and better than any other country on the planet!!!!

Come on olympic park designers...you could have bought at LEAST 5 more trees for the park, with that much cash!

I'm with downfallen on this one. SPEND BILLIONS. just think of the cool points London would get!! think of he cool points :P
sam-whit-kid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #866
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6361

The Visit London ad has nothing to do with the 2012 budget.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #867
sam-whit-kid
'what are digits?'

well the point was that 4million thrown at an ad campaign (although now ive thought about it 4million isnt that much for 4 years on a worldwide basis for adverts everywhere) seemed a bit much when apparently the costs are spiraling out of control so it all needs to be cut back.

i am still very pleased with what london is getting however. looking at the 3D visualisation, on the staduim forum, of the entire olympic park we wont be doing that bad. As long as they doint ruin he velodrome...im not fussed!
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:31 AM   #868
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6361

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-whit-kid View Post
well the point was that 4million thrown at an ad campaign (although now ive thought about it 4million isnt that much for 4 years on a worldwide basis for adverts everywhere) seemed a bit much when apparently the costs are spiraling out of control so it all needs to be cut back.
You seemed to have missed what I said. The Visit London ad has nothing to do with the 2012 budget.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:34 AM   #869
foundation

Likes (Received): 12

London will host a truly magnificent Olympics

Not bigger than Beijing - just different - and by the way, whatever political side of the fence you sit on, Beijing have hosted an amazing games

The countdown to London 2012 has now seriously started, and even I - as the most cynical, miserable old hobbit you could ever meet - feel incredibly proud that the next games will be in London

With all the bad news in the world right now, in the last two weeks we have proved to the world that we can be a "United Kingdom" and truly a "Great Britain!" Third in the medal table!!!!!!!!!!
foundation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:59 AM   #870
sam-whit-kid
'what are digits?'

i love seing us 3rd on the medal table... i would love to do something like the olympics... but alas im too old!! 18 really does creep up on you :P
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:11 AM   #871
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Boo hoo. London is no the only city that has to deal with the ripple effect of the credit crunch of the global economy. Its not the only city/region that needs to prepare for a mega-event. I'm a bit concerned about its procurement issues. That roof and facade steel structure could be made in Italy and shipped to the UK next year. The earlier its sorted out the cheaper it is.
Yeah true but other events don't come bigger than the olympics you know what i mean.If South Africa had to price there stadiums now for the world cup they would be in deep s*** wouldn't they.
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM   #872
metroranger

Likes (Received): 1727

August 21st 2008

August 21st 2008

Towards the City over the Stadium site from the top of Stratford Shopping Centre.

[IMG]http://i38.************/2v3lijs.jpg[/IMG]

You can see the eight crane around the Olympic bowl.

[IMG]http://i33.************/2l9t63l.jpg[/IMG]

To the left you can make out Tower42 & the Gherkin.
The new City cluster is going to look impressive from this angle.
metroranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:36 PM   #873
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfallen View Post
How arrogant?
I thought we had gotten beyond the stage we thought we ruled/represented the world
I've lived here a long time....London certainly doesnt 'represent' the world...there are much more interesting places in the world
Regardless of my views on 2012 I think this sets an awful tone...as tourist marketing.

Why not...something that just promotes London...as a cool city with some interesting things to see, more than enough to fill a holiday?
What the hell are you talking about Downfallen? Jesus mate calm the negativity down a bit yeah?
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:05 PM   #874
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrio415 View Post
Yeah true but other events don't come bigger than the olympics you know what i mean.If South Africa had to price there stadiums now for the world cup they would be in deep s*** wouldn't they.
Big part of the funding for the Beijing Olympics come from compatriots in Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan and Oversea Chinese. The Water Cube is fully donated by compatriots from Hong Kong , Macao, Taiwan and Oversea Chinese...

Now we will see how much for those so call "Londoner" REALLY LOVE his/her county. Anyone have Mohamed Al-Fayed and Richard Branson's number?
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:12 PM   #875
JILN
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

JILN...

Go London, si se puede, see you in 2012.
JILN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 11:35 AM   #876
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

The shipping forecast will herald London2012

Jerusalem, Greensleeves and excerpts from the shipping forecast read by Radio 4 regular Zeb Soanes interweave with three traditional sea shanties with harmonies based on the chimes of Big Ben.

The shipping forecast, a new version of the national anthem sanctioned by the Queen and the most famous footballer on the planet will herald the start of the London Olympiad tomorrow when the capital briefly takes centre stage in Beijing's Bird's Nest stadium.

As China's games officially draw to an end with a closing ceremony certain to be epic in scale and execution, London has just eight minutes to mark the official handover of the Olympic flag.

Organisers are pinning their hopes on a very British affair marked by an innovative score, a live performance of Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love, a double-decker bus and David Beckham to set the tone for 2012.

It is a hugely significant moment for the London project, with the £2.5m show offering the first opportunity to make a global statement about what the city will bring to its games. Faced with the challenge of conveying so much in so short a time, it has gone for instantly recognisable icons and a big rock moment. The 70-strong cast rehearsed for for two weeks at a private airfield outside Beijing.

Martin Green, head of ceremonies for London 2012, said the intention was to spark a celebration for the capital and the country. "We have eight minutes to say 'this is London'. We don't want to overcomplicate, to rebrand the nation or stage an opening ceremony. This is a short sharp, shock that fires the starting gun for London."

Protocol demands that the official handover begin with the Olympic flag being handed from the mayor of the current host to the president of the International Olympic Committee, Jacques Rogge, who in turn passes it on to Boris Johnson, the mayor of London. Once he has waved the flag the required six times it will be carried out of the stadium accompanied by the National Youth Orchestra singing the national anthem, arranged by music director Philip Sheppard.

Then an animated title sequence bookended by the BBC World Service call sign, This Is London, will be played on the screens as a red double-decker bus, No 2012, arrives in the stadium.

Awaiting it on the far side of the track at a London bus stop next to a zebra crossing complete with belisha beacons, will be the 36 dancers from the hip-hop troop Zoo Nation, the CanDoCo Contemporary Dance Company and Royal Opera artists, all sheltering under umbrellas.

The bus will make its way round the track to a score written by Sheppard that evokes Britain's musical heritage without abandoning the contemporary tone. Jerusalem, Greensleeves and excerpts from the shipping forecast read by Radio 4 regular Zeb Soanes interweave with three traditional sea shanties with harmonies based on the chimes of Big Ben.

Halfway round the track the bus will be joined by cycling gold medallists Chris Hoy and Victoria Pendleton, and BMX star Shanaze Reade dressed as a courier, a City gent and a London biker. Reade hopes to take part despite injuring her wrist when crashing out of the BMX final yesterday.

When the bus arrives at the stop, a nine-year-old Londoner, Tayyiba Dudhwala, will emerge to be handed a football by Erika Tham, a Chinese-Canadian chosen to represent the children of the world.

As the people in the queue dance beneath their brollies, the bus will begin a transformation, its roof opening like a lotus flower to reveal a stage. Leona Lewis will emerge on a platform to perform an R&B aria. Meanwhile, Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page will appear at the other end of the bus and strike out the opening chords of Whole Lotta Love. In order to meet the eight-minute limit the song has been curtailed, but to Page's delight now cuts straight to the solo.

As the duet climaxes, Beckham rises up on a third platform clutching the football flanked by a cellist and violinist in Team GB kit, and kicks the ball into the athletes packed in the centre field of the stadium. The bus departs, transformed into an ersatz carnival float.

Stephen Powell, the creative director, said the intention was to create a quintessentially British moment

Last edited by jerseyboi; August 23rd, 2008 at 01:01 PM.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 11:37 AM   #877
Vanguard

Likes (Received): 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
What the hell are you talking about Downfallen? Jesus mate calm the negativity down a bit yeah?

I think he's mentally ill.
Vanguard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM   #878
Rory990

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
I wouldnt call a 9 billion pound package as "limited" . Thats a huge sum of money, and it doesnt indicate any signs of a lack of commitment to the Games. The designs/architecture were thought out well before the 9 billion pound package. That doesn't include many other major investments accelerated due to the Games or infrastructural improvements directly linked to the Games.

And tbh, if we can pull these games of, in this time of economic difficulty in the uk, and the world i will be amazed and so pleased and proud to be british, only y'day it was announced we are on the verge of recession, and we will most proberly go through a recession before these games come here, and i bet my LIFE that we will pull of a magnificent olympics. and am not sure many countries will be able to pull that of, but i bet london will
Rory990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #879
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

[IMG]http://i28.************/vpduf8.jpg[/IMG] Handover day to London2012

Posted by AlL gUUd. Some of the venues for 2012
O2 - Gymnastics

WIMBLEDON - tennis

LORDS CRICKET – archery

REGENTS PARK Road Cycling

HYDE PARK Triathlon and 10km Open Water Swim

EXCEL CENTRE Boxing, Fencing, Judo, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Weightlifting, Wrestling, Boccia, Paralympic Table Tennis, Paralympic Powerlifting, Wheelchair Basketball.

ETON DORNEY Rowing, Flatwater Canoe/Kayak, Paralympic Rowing.

ROYAL ARTILLARY BARRACKS Shooting, Paralympic Shooting.

GREENWICH

HORSE GUARDS Beach Volleyball

WEMBLEY Football

Last edited by jerseyboi; August 24th, 2008 at 11:29 AM.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #880
Brightonboi
Rule Britannia !

Likes (Received): 4

WTF with the natinol anthem ?
Brightonboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics