daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #881
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

London 2012 preview

London 2012 Preview>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/puff...av/7579987.stm
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #882
jerseyboi
BANNED

thought hand over was kool.
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #883
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

awful. the best part was the video.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #884
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

This is what London 2012 is all about. Thousands showing up just for the handover. Imagine when the Games are actually in London.

[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/xc/82535173.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19368FFB0B613D6DEB0F79B2AAC0673FFD1E30A760B0D811297[/IMG]
[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/xc/82534617.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19368FFB0B613D6DEB000CE8C43A441B4A6E30A760B0D811297[/IMG]
[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/xc/82536585.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19368FFB0B613D6DEB0B20AC3B4A4840ADBE30A760B0D811297[/IMG]
[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/xc/82535181.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19368FFB0B613D6DEB010A0A5C3FE9FEAA7E30A760B0D811297[/IMG]
[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/xc/82536014.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19368FFB0B613D6DEB00FCC93A27B5AA77EE30A760B0D811297[/IMG]
[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/xc/82536118.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19368FFB0B613D6DEB08DCD994D1ACAB334E30A760B0D811297[/IMG][IMG]http://cache.***********.com/xc/82536517.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19368FFB0B613D6DEB04783AC1A2249DD8DE30A760B0D811297[/IMG]
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #885
JILN
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

JILN...

Fantastisc performance in Beijing, I want to go London in 2012, see you soon, Greetings.
JILN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #886
philipman2000

Likes (Received): 1

what the hell with Boris Johnson he could at least be smart and at least Gordon brown won't be in power when it come in the uk its the conservative to run the country
are stadium isn't fantastic and it wont be the national stadium which is Wembley when the games are finished in 2012 its going to be converted into a 20,000 stadium for the public but before that happen the world will be finished apparently like on the you tube videos
philipman2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #887
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

Now i'd like to know who came up with this idea?

Thats all i could think of throughout it.

PS. That after closing ceremony party was shocking in all ways.
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #888
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipman2000 View Post
what the hell with Boris Johnson he could at least be smart and at least Gordon brown won't be in power when it come in the uk its the conservative to run the country
are stadium isn't fantastic and it wont be the national stadium which is Wembley when the games are finished in 2012 its going to be converted into a 20,000 stadium for the public but before that happen the world will be finished apparently like on the you tube videos

Literal diarrhoea.

And Boris Johnson. Smart. You are joking right?
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #889
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

For sheer variety and pedigree of Olympic venues, I think London wins hands down

Tennis at it's home in Wimbledon
Beach volleyball on the site where the court of King Henry VIII held tournaments 500 years earlier
Gymnastics at a great-looking Dome
Equestrian events at the 0 degree longitudinal line in Greenwich Park
Shooting at the Royal Artillery Barracks whose past graduates, have for better or worse, gone on to shape the world during the Empire
Archery at the world's oldest and most elite cricket ground
Football finals at the home of one of the world's oldest and greatest football leagues
Triathlon and cycling in two great lungs of London, Hyde and Regents Park

These will be supported by an amazing Aquatics centre as well as a new stadium and use of other large facilities in London (Earl's Court, ExCeL). I think all Olympians will be enthralled to represent their nations at some of these great venues.

I think we should play up these virtues in our Games:
  • cultural pedigree
  • representation from all the world
  • efficient and modern city
  • sporting prowess and contribution

(Rather than urban dance troupes, artwork of questionable taste, and excessive attention on yoof)

Last edited by TallBox; August 25th, 2008 at 02:14 AM.
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #890
Saigoneseguy
Vivat capitalismus

Likes (Received): 106

I thought it would be a Routemaster, turned out to be supposedly, a Metroline instead
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #891
miguelon

Likes (Received): 304

i think the handover was ok,,,, not spectacular, but very british, great introduction video.

still God Save the Queen, could have been performed, much more "stronger", I dont know how to explain it,,,,,,
miguelon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #892
briker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 90

Modern Sport is going back to its hometown, London. Looking forward to 2012
briker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #893
jerseyboi
BANNED

its going be an amazing fun games for 2012

[IMG]http://i34.************/2mq9f05.jpg[/IMG]

'Ping pong is coming home': Boris takes hold of the baton

Who better than an eccentric Englishman to take the Games from Beijing to London? Cue Boris Johnson.

The London Mayor strode on to the international stage yesterday, happily waved the Olympic flag, and told the watching world in no uncertain terms: "Ping pong is coming home".

He waved the huge banner as he was joined by Gordon Brown and other senior ministers as he addressed the throng at a party in Beijing which was held to celebrate the handover to London in typical style by hailing Britain as the inventor of the parlour game turned Olympic favourite.

In a speech peppered with classical references at London House, the British Games' headquarters in Beijing, Mr Johnson said Britain had invented table tennis over its dining tables before it became a Chinese national obsession.

To cheers from the assembled British officials, Mr Johnson declared that the Chinese "have excelled magnificently at ping pong. Ping pong was invented on the dining tables of England and it was called whiff whaff".

"There you have, I think, the essential difference between us and the rest of the world. Other nations such as the French looked at the dining table and saw the opportunity to have dinner. We looked at the dining table and saw an opportunity to play whiff whaff.

He continued: "That is why London is the sporting capital of the world. I say to the Chinese and I say to the world – ping pong is coming home."

[IMG]http://i34.************/2088fns.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i33.************/2zzswuc.jpg[/IMG] Next stop London 2012!

Last edited by jerseyboi; August 25th, 2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #894
cheriah

Likes (Received): 0

I actually felt that the whole spectacle was hideously embarrassing. Whoever put that farcical together should be given their marching orders ASAP!
I mean if they really had to use a bus to symbolise London then what happened to the much loved route master? Britain and in particular London has a culture that is as rich as the Chinese. The Tube for instance which is the oldest in the oldest such system in the world, Shakespeare, pearly kings and Queens, Dickens, rock music, punk London, London cockneys, the witty and clever market sellers who sing about their wares to attract the punters, our unique black cabs, our unique red telephone boxes/post boxes, the monarchy. And all they could get was a generic red bus , a few out of sync dancers in dull colours, a stiff x-factor graduate and Beckham? One wonders just how much tax payers money Beckham got to kick that ball. What was the point of the ten year old kid? It was a an absolute disgrace and it came across like more like an end of year school production and not a worldwide global representation of the great British London culture and traditions. If the ceremonies in 2012 are to follow in this vein then the whole country will be a laughing stock of the whole world?
As a Briton and a Londoner I am sure I speak for many when I say that Londoners do not want to be disgraced. Please pull your finger out ... into the rich culture of Britain for that matter and come up with something that will not make Britain a laughing stock on the world in 2012.
cheriah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #895
Luke
Blackboard Monitor

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriah View Post
One wonders just how much tax payers money Beckham got to kick that ball.
Beckham appeared for free. Only his plane ticket was paid for by the Brits.
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #896
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelon View Post
i think the handover was ok,,,, not spectacular, but very british, great introduction video.

still God Save the Queen, could have been performed, much more "stronger", I dont know how to explain it,,,,,,
The handover was awful and this is coming from someone who isn't a doom monger, this is no reflect on the opening ceremony in four years time.

They messed up Leonas sound, and the anthem was done terribly. Boris Johnson didn't have a clue and he stuck his hands in his pockets repeatedly

The Routemaster wasn't, and the craaazy dancers just got on my wick.

What frustrates me is that instantly I can come up with a better idea. If Leona had been dressed as Britannia holding the trident...imagine her dressed as Britannia, with the anthem playing at that point, then into the rock music or whatever. David Beckham not standing there stiff but also on a plinth rising, he then does a really cool few keepy uppies and then kicks it far into the crowd below.

Really good dancers like those chosen in the last Madonna concert in London, all in sync, all differnt cultures, dancing around Britannia and Beckham.

Last edited by Zenith; August 25th, 2008 at 12:12 PM.
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #897
cheriah

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Beckham appeared for free. Only his plane ticket was paid for by the Brits.
Even the plane ticket was good money wasted.

Is there anywhere for one to go to log their official disgust at that ceremony so that the organisers know that that was totally unacceptable. I wish Ken was still the major. He was a pin in the bum but he would never have stood for that!
cheriah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #898
RobH

Likes (Received): 10313

Not as slick as I was expecting and Beckham's presence was a little contrived. I loved the music (the arrangement of Greensleves with snippets of Jeruselum was nicely done and Whole Lotta Love was great!) and the video at the start was colourful and well-produced. The dancing was not as good as I was expecting and there was something a little bit "Blue Peter" about the props, particaurly that London skyline on the bus which looked liked it had been made from old cardboard boxes. I have to say also, I found the sight of a London bus with its roof coming off a little bit eerie.

But you know what, despite some problems I smiled a lot more during that segment than I did during the Beijing opening which was spectaclar but lacked any sort of humour (much like the overhyped Lord of the Rings trilogy in that sense!)

Slicken it up, have a whole stadium full of colour and humour rather than a little corner of one, and I think we could be on our way. It really got me in the mood for London 2012, even if technically it wasn't as special as I thought it would be.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #899
crossbowman
^Xpande^

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboi View Post
He continued: "That is why London is the sporting capital of the world. I say to the Chinese and I say to the world ping pong is coming home."

[- Reunification of the PARTHENON Marbles -]

Life is FULL of rude awakenings...
crossbowman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #900
jerseyboi
BANNED

looked a great party out side the palace

Last edited by jerseyboi; August 25th, 2008 at 09:56 PM.

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics