daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2008, 04:32 AM   #921
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTF View Post
This thread needs a big pic update otherwise it will end up in London vs Beijing discussion.
i agree..pix pix pix
Maxxclip no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2008, 04:54 AM   #922
Vanguard

Likes (Received): 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siopao View Post
London will be a victim of comparison for the next 4 years.

And the Handover performance wasn't so impressive. For me, it's too broadway-ish and there's nothing really to look forward to for the Opening Ceremony in 2012. And... Leona Lewis? Are you kidding me? Is that what London has? Pop Culture? There's nothing spectacular about that. London doesn't have that rich cultural identity that Beijing has. That is probably why Olympic Athletes aren't so enthusiastic about London like they were 4 years ago when Beijing was the next host.

Vanguard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #923
metroranger

Likes (Received): 1727

23rd August 2008

Stadium from the Greenway.

[IMG]http://i35.************/2m7u1j9.jpg[/IMG]

Main entrance to the stadium.

[IMG]http://i36.************/dwf69u.jpg[/IMG]

Check out the time lapse here.

Towards the Aquatics Centre site from the Greenway.

[IMG]http://i35.************/6iablw.jpg[/IMG]

The two cranes in the distance are part of the Stratford City development (See link below).

Last edited by metroranger; August 27th, 2008 at 09:12 AM. Reason: links
metroranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #924
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:

And the Handover performance wasn't so impressive. For me, it's too broadway-ish and there's nothing really to look forward to for the Opening Ceremony in 2012. And... Leona Lewis? Are you kidding me? Is that what London has? Pop Culture? There's nothing spectacular about that. London doesn't have that rich cultural identity that Beijing has. That is probably why Olympic Athletes aren't so enthusiastic about London like they were 4 years ago when Beijing was the next host.
So much stupidity, such a little post.

I'm not even going to bother trying to correct such a delusional statement. I can only hope that it's actually sarcasm.
Old August 27th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #925
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

HAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAAHa

i can't even describe in words how stupid that post is.
Old August 27th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #926
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6360

Quote:
London doesn't have that rich cultural identity that Beijing has. That is probably why Olympic Athletes aren't so enthusiastic about London like they were 4 years ago when Beijing was the next host.
Oh please.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #927
MTF

Likes (Received): 203

I hope they will do something about those high tension electric poles if they dont they will be such a eye soar.
MTF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #928
ClishMaclaver
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

It seems everyone has already commented on that lost post by Saipao. I chuckled aswell.

Quote:
London doesn't have that rich cultural identity that Beijing has
Cultural identity is Londons strongest point.
ClishMaclaver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #929
ClishMaclaver
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTF View Post
I hope they will do something about those high tension electric poles if they dont they will be such a eye soar.
They are all going undergound!
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #930
madjackmcmad

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by acc521 View Post
From a Chinese point of view, they did all they could to ensure they didn't lose face and unsuprisingly the cost of this was that to most Westerners, it was very dull and lifeless.
Exactly, I enjoyed the games immensly but where was the usual fun for the Athletes at the closing ceremony?

London will be great. But it will be different (as it should be)
madjackmcmad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #931
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

Most people don't hold too much hope for the London one for a reason, unlike Beijing, people was looking forward for the Beijing game, no matter they like it or hate it, they want to see how it come out. But the London one...people just don't care, London fail to create excitment
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #932
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

I'm sorry to tell you this Sexas but most people outside of China couldn't care less about Beijing in 2004. It was an event a long way off in a country most people I know didn't think should have it.

The excitement really starts to build in the months leading up to the Games. It's the same for all hosts, London will be no different.

Last edited by RobH; August 27th, 2008 at 11:44 PM.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #933
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
Most people don't hold too much hope for the London one for a reason, unlike Beijing, people was looking forward for the Beijing game, no matter they like it or hate it, they want to see how it come out. But the London one...people just don't care, London fail to create excitment
Did you not see the party in London on the day of the handover then??

40,000 people in front of Buckingham Palace all having a good time, excited about the Olympics, looking forward to the Olympics - lots of atmosphere, lots of fun.

If this happens on the day of the handover, 4 years before the London Olympics, imagine what it will be like when the 2012 games begin.
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #934
ClishMaclaver
BANNED

Quote:
London doesn't create excitement?

I dont understand why there are so many idiots on these forums. I thought it would at least have a majority with common sense!

Nobody knew what was happening in beijing because they couldn't bloody report it.
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #935
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
people certainly dont care.

[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/xc/82536585.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19368FFB0B613D6DEB0B20AC3B4A4840ADBE30A760B0D811297[/IMG]
[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/xc/82536869.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19368FFB0B613D6DEB07D2F32EFF5F1C3F0E30A760B0D811297[/IMG]

I rest my case.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #936
ClishMaclaver
BANNED

Have you ever wondered why London is littered with foreign nationals, tourists, sport events, concerts, movie premiers, fashion parades, carnivals?
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #937
ClishMaclaver
BANNED

Now just imagine this in Beijing?

Old August 28th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #938
ClishMaclaver
BANNED

Old August 28th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #939
acc521
Do you expect me to talk?

Likes (Received): 450

Yes, I mean why would one of the most multicultural, exciting, international cities in the world holding the Olympics be of any relevance to anyone?

In Australia I know the general vibe regarding Beijing was that it just didn't seem like the Olympics. The lack of a human side to the games and the general 'fakeness' rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

It was good being in the same time zone though
acc521 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #940
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClishMaclaver View Post
London doesn't create excitement?

I dont understand why there are so many idiots on these forums. I thought it would at least have a majority with common sense!

Nobody knew what was happening in beijing because they couldn't bloody report it.
Sometimes I'm absolutely astounded by how stupid, insular, ignorant and naive some people on here are.

I hope whoever it was that claimed London doesn't have culture is feeling absolutely stupid now. People like that really should be singled out and ridiculed. Have they even ever heard of London? Are they confusing it with Dubai or something?

The London games will be the best ones ever, I'm sure of it.

On a side note, the Australian media's going to town about Jacques Rogge not saying that the Beijing Games were 'the best games ever' - he didn't say it about Athens either, but he did say it about Sydney - so everyone here is assuming that it still stands and they [to date] they are still the best Games ever. I'm quite sure that he'll be saying 'the best Games ever' at the London closing ceremony.

I'm probably biased though, London's my home town and I love every single inch of the city.

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics