daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 28th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #941
Metroguy78

Likes (Received): 10

yeah i notice that mr Rogge didnt say best ever, and im glad he didn't. I loved the Beijing games but it was no where near as enjoyable as Sydney for fun and envolvement. I just felt a little uneasy at how marshalled and military it seemed. I am sure that the Chinese really loved having people in their city but I couldn't help think there was some enforcers making sure they were all smiling.

London will be great fun, and i'm proud they will set a precedence for the way olympics should be sport first, show off arenas third or forth.

I will be making my spare room available to rent to incoming althetes as will my neighbours, I will also be volunteering to help our on anything I can.

It is nice that now London is the host city that the excitement has gone up a level
Metroguy78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #942
acc521
Do you expect me to talk?

Likes (Received): 450

I remember reading something a while back from the IOC saying that they won't be saying "best ever" because they always used to say it after each one and they no longer want to be seen as comparing and so forth.
acc521 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #943
scgirush

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
On a side note, the Australian media's going to town about Jacques Rogge not saying that the Beijing Games were 'the best games ever' - he didn't say it about Athens either, but he did say it about Sydney - so everyone here is assuming that it still stands and they [to date] they are still the best Games ever.
Jacques Rogge did not say "the best games ever" at the Sydney closing ceremony, it was Juan Antonio Samaranch, the former IOC president, and he used to say it at every closing ceremony in his presidency (1980 – 2001) except in Atlanta. When Jacques Rogge got elected he said he will never say it. Personally I think the '00 '04 and '08 Olympics were pretty much on the same level. Okay they all had their flaws but they were overall pretty astonishing. Let's see how London does.

hey first post
scgirush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #944
zee
Jelly Bean!!

Likes (Received): 17

welcome to the forum
zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 04:27 AM   #945
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Sometimes I'm absolutely astounded by how stupid, insular, ignorant and naive some people on here are.

I hope whoever it was that claimed London doesn't have culture is feeling absolutely stupid now. People like that really should be singled out and ridiculed. Have they even ever heard of London? Are they confusing it with Dubai or something?

The London games will be the best ones ever, I'm sure of it.

On a side note, the Australian media's going to town about Jacques Rogge not saying that the Beijing Games were 'the best games ever' - he didn't say it about Athens either, but he did say it about Sydney - so everyone here is assuming that it still stands and they [to date] they are still the best Games ever. I'm quite sure that he'll be saying 'the best Games ever' at the London closing ceremony.

I'm probably biased though, London's my home town and I love every single inch of the city.
Don't you realize IOC President Rogge broke the tradition of saying the "best games ever"? It was Samaranch's tradition of saying "best games ever". Samaranch was still IOC President for Sydney 2000 Olympics. But when Rogge took over in 2001, he broke that traditon by
saying something different every time.
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #946
maldini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroguy78 View Post
yeah i notice that mr Rogge didnt say best ever, and im glad he didn't. I loved the Beijing games but it was no where near as enjoyable as Sydney for fun and envolvement. I just felt a little uneasy at how marshalled and military it seemed. I am sure that the Chinese really loved having people in their city but I couldn't help think there was some enforcers making sure they were all smiling.

London will be great fun, and i'm proud they will set a precedence for the way olympics should be sport first, show off arenas third or forth.

I will be making my spare room available to rent to incoming althetes as will my neighbours, I will also be volunteering to help our on anything I can.

It is nice that now London is the host city that the excitement has gone up a level
Don't be so jealous about China. Beijing has shown that they put the top priority to the sports themselves. Just because they built impressive arenas did not meant that they did not put top priority to the sports.
Now for London, just because the arenas will not be as impressive as Beijing's, does not mean the sports themselves will be successful.
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #947
TONZI
defaNcto city

Likes (Received): 156

Well, every Olympic host has its own unique surprise every four years. We cannot dismiss the fact that England is one of the world's super economies. At this time, to be modest about their hosting is one of the first things that London ought to do. Who would ever insult a present host of an ongoing Olympics by telling the next host is going to outpour more than the present? I think that would be unethical to do when you're saying that to the front of millions of Chinese and not to mention you're currently standing in their turf. One thing, to boast of something that has not happened yet is very awkward to do, and, more to that, what if what you boasted would not actually materialize?

The closing ceremony and the glimpse of 2012 London was just a teaser, a puzzle that would linger in the minds of the whole world for the next four years. And having the kind of Olympics we had in Beijing? That will give a deeper thought to our minds on what London will offer. And we know, they will not disappoint all of us. Don't close your minds on what London will offer. Instead, let London inspire what it wants to do by not comparing what they haven't accomplished yet against Beijing who has already benchmarked their hosting.
Old August 29th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #948
Epi

Likes (Received): 77

I don't see why there would be much of a difference between London and Beijing aside from the amount of entertainment in the Opening/Closing ceremonies. I mean it's not like the vast majority of the people on Earth actually GO to these cities to see how 'fun' it is, they just watch the sports on TV... and no matter where you host it, it will be exactly the same on TV. It's the sports, the athletes and the athletic competition which matters.

Therefore the amount of 'fun' is completely irrelevant except to the people actually living in the city. I think aside from people who are bitter they got forced out of their homes and were not happy with the compensation homes, most people in Beijing were pretty happy about the Olympics. A lot of people went out to celebrate in all of their pre-olympics parties, bunched up in giant outdoor areas to watch the opening/closing ceremonies on giant TV screens in many areas set up around Beijing, lined the streets to watch the longer races and the Marathon, volunteered to help out in record numbers (NBC in America said there were 1 million volunteers!) and enjoyed the games on TV like everyone else.

I for one thought the athletes looked like they were enjoying themselves at the closing ceremonies from what I saw on NBC. Maybe they only showed soldiers on BBC or something.
Epi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #949
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldini View Post
Don't you realize IOC President Rogge broke the tradition of saying the "best games ever"? It was Samaranch's tradition of saying "best games ever". Samaranch was still IOC President for Sydney 2000 Olympics. But when Rogge took over in 2001, he broke that traditon by
saying something different every time.
Well perhaps you should've read all of my post and realised that it was the media saying it and not me

Duh...
Old August 29th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #950
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

Sneek peek:
The structure of the Olympic Stadium for the London 2012 Games is already beginning to take shape...

Old August 30th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #951
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

2012 Games ceremony to be city-wide

Organisers of London 2012 will not try to imitate (stadium) pageantry of the opening and closing ceremonies at the Beijing Games, Olympics minister Tessa Jowell has said.

Instead of holding the ceremonies inside the main Olympic Stadium, the London organising committee is looking at staging a series of events across the city.

Ms Jowell said: "We don't want to try to emulate Beijing. What we want is new ways of thinking about the opening ceremony.

"We want the whole of London to be involved, with different parts of London taking part in the ceremony. The London Games must be deeply democratic, with the city's citizens feeling they're intimately involved.

"I think what you will see is a very vivid sense of celebration right across the city at both the opening and closing ceremonies."

Ms Jowell told The Independent that the Beijing Games were very impressive but London could improve on a number of areas when it hosts the Games.

She said: "In terms of great organisation, fantastic facilities, and a welcoming attitude and pride among the people, Beijing was superb. But there are things we can and will do better.

"I saw lots and lots of Chinese people standing outside stadiums, on the wrong part of a perimeter fence, as observers rather than participants. We must reverse that trend and make sure our Olympics are more accessible.

"I also want to minimise the number of empty seats in stadiums, which frustrate the public and keep them at a distance for no reason.

"And I want our volunteers to be trained better and given a more clearly defined role."
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #952
Deki

Likes (Received): 53

hm
Deki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #953
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
Most people don't hold too much hope for the London one for a reason, unlike Beijing, people was looking forward for the Beijing game, no matter they like it or hate it, they want to see how it come out. But the London one...people just don't care, London fail to create excitment
Oh dear Sexas I and others have continually tried to give you a chance to redeem yourself, to present a good argument and show your qualities. Really yes we are that generous *nods* I do hope you are joking with this patronising drivel because if not I believe you are speaking utter tripe. Funny how every foreigner I talk to is more excited about London than they were Beijing, but this isn't the point I am making. I believe that people were looking forward to Beijing, just as people are looking forward to London. Do you really think however that people just don't care about the London games when it is the most international city in the world, home to 300 languages etc etc etc? I find that slightly hard to believe don't you?
Old August 30th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #954
megacool

Likes (Received): 1

will you guys in this LONDON page stop being pick with beijing? (i am sure, someone will say, they are not pick with someone) yes, your GB and london are great, but why the summary always end with the word "BUT", then the result always will be: " london is better "

even someone thinking that the smile on chinese faces are organized and planed ? how f ignorant, and arrogant. most chinese people have enjoyed last 17 days with olympic, no less than anyothers on this planet.

at last, when u "Great" people would be really great, then please take respect on other side, and do not try to pick with others, and just want to show how good you are at the end. be modest and open, then you will be really Great.
Old August 31st, 2008, 12:38 AM   #955
Bandit

Likes (Received): 6

Can't wait to see the producers of American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance in charge of the London games. I'm going to find it entertainingly bad to watch with that piece at the closing ceremony as an example of what's to come.

Get ready for the worst Olympics in history.
Bandit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 01:02 AM   #956
rob_right
In the brig

Likes (Received): 0

Too true.

Last edited by rob_right; April 6th, 2009 at 06:51 AM.
rob_right no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 06:27 AM   #957
maldini

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacool View Post
will you guys in this LONDON page stop being pick with beijing? (i am sure, someone will say, they are not pick with someone) yes, your GB and london are great, but why the summary always end with the word "BUT", then the result always will be: " london is better "

even someone thinking that the smile on chinese faces are organized and planed ? how f ignorant, and arrogant. most chinese people have enjoyed last 17 days with olympic, no less than anyothers on this planet.

at last, when u "Great" people would be really great, then please take respect on other side, and do not try to pick with others, and just want to show how good you are at the end. be modest and open, then you will be really Great.
Some of these western people are just jealous of China's success in many areas. All the Chinese people worldwide already know that the western media are just trying to bash China whenever possible. They like to nitpick on Chinese people. It shows you the western media are hyprocritical. Oh yeah, London will be a success before it even started.
Old August 31st, 2008, 06:29 AM   #958
acc521

Ugh it has nothing to with jealous or puting Beijing down. Read my post a few pages back about Chinese culture and "saving face". I'm sure to many people with this cultural background the Beijing games would have been great - and they were an efficient, well run games. There is no denying the fact that those without this cultural background (i.e. the West) see a successful games in a different way and want more than just the efficiency and grandeur that Beijing provided. Not a putdown of Beiing at all, just an acknowledgement that there are many areas where Western and Eastern cultures are different.
Old August 31st, 2008, 12:17 PM   #959
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Oh dear Sexas I and others have continually tried to give you a chance to redeem yourself, to present a good argument and show your qualities. Really yes we are that generous *nods* I do hope you are joking with this patronising drivel because if not I believe you are speaking utter tripe. Funny how every foreigner I talk to is more excited about London than they were Beijing, but this isn't the point I am making. I believe that people were looking forward to Beijing, just as people are looking forward to London. Do you really think however that people just don't care about the London games when it is the most international city in the world, home to 300 languages etc etc etc? I find that slightly hard to believe don't you?
funny about it is...for once (really! for once) I don't looking forward for the next Olympics
Old August 31st, 2008, 12:39 PM   #960
acc521

Well I don't think too many people outside of London or non-Britons are going to be "looking forward" to these Olympics per se until they are closer. Just like any major event, the hype won't really kick in until a few month before hand.

It's like me (an avid football fan) saying that I'm not really looking forward to the 2012 Champion's league final yet.

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics