daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 31st, 2008, 12:48 PM   #961
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacool View Post
will you guys in this LONDON page stop being pick with beijing? (i am sure, someone will say, they are not pick with someone) yes, your GB and london are great, but why the summary always end with the word "BUT", then the result always will be: " london is better "

even someone thinking that the smile on chinese faces are organized and planed ? how f ignorant, and arrogant. most chinese people have enjoyed last 17 days with olympic, no less than anyothers on this planet.

at last, when u "Great" people would be really great, then please take respect on other side, and do not try to pick with others, and just want to show how good you are at the end. be modest and open, then you will be really Great.

Good words.

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2008, 12:49 PM   #962
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
funny about it is...for once (really! for once) I don't looking forward for the next Olympics
Yawn, that is your problem. Perhaps one day you will get the chance to visit London.
Old August 31st, 2008, 01:20 PM   #963
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

The Olympic torch will be carried round Britain before the start of the 2012

The Olympic torch will be carried round Britain before the start of the 2012 Games — but there will be no repeat of China’s protest-scarred worldwide relay.

Tessa Jowell, the Olympics minister, said she had “a lot of enthusiasm” for the idea of the torch being taken round the “villages, towns and cities in the UK” which could apply to be part of the route.

Jowell, unveiling plans for four years of lead-up events, starting next month, said in an interview with The Sunday Times: “There would be no more powerful way of making them feel part of the Olympics, would there?”

Although welcoming the world will be one of the themes of the Cultural Olympiad that begins on the weekend of September 26, the torch relay is set to be restricted to Britain.

China’s decision to take the torch around the world turned into a global protest against its policies in Tibet, in which protesters scuffled with tracksuit-wearing security minders.

The plans for Britain’s Olympics, to be announced this week, show an attempt to create a more welcoming atmosphere than the impressive but gargantuan events at the bird’s nest stadium in Beijing.

A week ahead of the opening ceremony on July 27, 2012, two days of free performances will take place on five stages along the Thames representing the continents and Olympic rings.

The World River weekend will mark the culmination of the Cultural Olympiad which begins with the Open Weekend next month. Events include the illumination of Windsor Castle and other landmarks in the colours of London 2012.

Highlights over the coming four years will include festivals, free performances and the commissioning of a series of public works of art in each of the nine English regions, and one each in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. These will become national focal points for the Olympic celebrations and new works could include sculptures on the scale of the 65ft-high Angel of the North.

Tracey Emin and Damien Hirst could be among those approached to help the Arts Council choose winners from ideas submitted.

Jowell also disclosed that organisers have shaved £1.5 billion off the cost of the Games by simplifying the design of the main stadium and aquatic centre, and reducing the size of the Olympic Park. She admitted more money than originally predicted would be needed, but insisted the total cost to taxpayers would not rise above the £9.3 billion budget.

“There’s no more money. None from the taxpayer, none from the lottery, none from the government,” she said.

Jowell, who has returned from three weeks in Beijing, said there were lessons to be learnt from China’s experience.

Although the 2008 Games were acclaimed as the most spectacular ever, there were empty seats at events, security was often overzealous, and the opening and closing shows were considered too long. Jowell believes there is a “good case” for staging shorter ceremonies and has staked her reputation on ensuring venues are packed.

“My ambition is to see seats filled, every Londoner having the opportunity to see some event, and people being able to come from around the country. It’s not simple, but we are determined to crack this,” she said.

Jowell promised investment in school sports, labelling the attitude of many teachers and councils that competition is bad for children as “complete idiocy”. The minister blamed the Conservatives and “ill- informed, politically correct Labour authorities” for eroding sport in state schools.

“It was a great injustice that was done in removing competition from schools and school sports. Kids learn an enormous amount from the brutality of competition,” said Jowell, adding that children benefited from learning how to be good losers as well as winners.

Boris Johnson, the London mayor, has indicated he will find a role for Jowell in planning for the Olympics if Labour loses the next election. She admitted the Conservatives’ huge poll lead meant the government was in a “very serious situation”, but insisted the situation was “utterly recoverable”, if Labour could demonstrate it was “still in the game”.

Cultural Olympiad

On the weekend of September 26-28, a four-year Cultural Olympiad will begin the countdown to London 2012. Highlights include:

— A total of 300 events, including the illumination of buildings such as Windsor Castle in Olympic colours.

— Each of Britain’s 12 regions will host a work of public art, such as a performance or sculpture, marking the Olympiad.

— A national singing day for Britain is intended to become a global event.

— July 2011: Construction finishes on main stadium.

— July 21-22, 2012: World River Festival welcomes the world to the Games. The event will feature five stages held along the Thames, inspired by the Olympic rings.

— July 27, 2012: Opening ceremony of the Games.

"We don't want to try to emulate Beijing," said Tessa Jowell, Minister for the Olympics. "What we want is new ways of thinking about the opening ceremony."

Last edited by jerseyboi; August 31st, 2008 at 01:44 PM.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 03:57 PM   #964
MTF

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacool View Post
will you guys in this LONDON page stop being pick with beijing? (i am sure, someone will say, they are not pick with someone) yes, your GB and london are great, but why the summary always end with the word "BUT", then the result always will be: " london is better "

even someone thinking that the smile on chinese faces are organized and planed ? how f ignorant, and arrogant. most chinese people have enjoyed last 17 days with olympic, no less than anyothers on this planet.

at last, when u "Great" people would be really great, then please take respect on other side, and do not try to pick with others, and just want to show how good you are at the end. be modest and open, then you will be really Great.
I totally agree.
MTF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 02:38 PM   #965
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldini View Post
Some of these western people are just jealous of China's success in many areas. All the Chinese people worldwide already know that the western media are just trying to bash China whenever possible. They like to nitpick on Chinese people. It shows you the western media are hyprocritical. Oh yeah, London will be a success before it even started.
I laugh so much when I read posts like this. What you don't seem to understand is how free country's work. This might mean that some people are critical of something and then say what they believe (something that is not possible in China).

What you see is one sided reality. You see the criticism of China in the media and you think it's a big conspiracy against your country. But at the same time you can't see the full picture.

Have a look at recent media reports on the 8minutes that London provided at the closing ceremony. Notice the criticism? Or were you too obsessed by your narrow minded Nationalist views to not see this.

In free country's people have the right to criticize what they like. This is obviously something that you can't seem to grasp. Just as many in the media made negative comments about certain aspects of the Chinese Olympics, doesn't mean they won't do the same for London. After all, they have already started.

If you can't handle freedom of thought, then lock yourself up in your own world.
Old September 1st, 2008, 05:52 PM   #966
ecotecture

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by acc521 View Post
Ugh it has nothing to with jealous or puting Beijing down. Read my post a few pages back about Chinese culture and "saving face". I'm sure to many people with this cultural background the Beijing games would have been great - and they were an efficient, well run games. There is no denying the fact that those without this cultural background (i.e. the West) see a successful games in a different way and want more than just the efficiency and grandeur that Beijing provided. Not a putdown of Beiing at all, just an acknowledgement that there are many areas where Western and Eastern cultures are different.

... erm ... I have no clue what you are talking about.

Sure ... the different cultures on this planet are different to each other. That's the fun. We can learn from each other. Share our knowledge and experiences.

I'm born in West-Germany. My education was very western. But I enjoyed the chinese Olympic Games more than every before. I looked forward to Athens, but were dissapointed. I looked forward to Beijing but weren't dissapointed. I expected them to do well, but I haven't expected to do that well.

I visited London few days ago. I read a lot about the handover and experienced how London got ready for their games. I love London ... I would love it even more, if it wasn't that expensive. London is cool, but London is popular for ages now. I think people are more excited about "new cities" to host the Olympic Games. Like Beijing or maybe Rio de Janeiro in 2016!? I'm also very interested in the first indian, arabic or african Olympic Games!

Last edited by ecotecture; September 1st, 2008 at 06:02 PM.
ecotecture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 06:18 PM   #967
acc521
Do you expect me to talk?

Likes (Received): 450

I'm talking in general mate. Of course I can't speak for each individual
acc521 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 06:22 PM   #968
ecotecture

So in general the western people are narrowminded and aren't open for other cultures? Isn't it a bit ignorant?

I'm glad that I'm different to my european family then.
ecotecture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 06:25 PM   #969
acc521
Do you expect me to talk?

Likes (Received): 450

I'm just giving a legitimate reason as to why, in general, many people in western countries didn't find the Beijing games as engaging as say Sydney or Athens. Of course there is an element of cultural ignorance in there but one would have to be very naiive to not think that the same cultural ignorance exists in China as regards the western world.
acc521 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 06:44 PM   #970
foxmulder_ms

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
...free country's ...

This was painfully funny... You completely lack empathy.
foxmulder_ms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 09:01 PM   #971
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1545

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboi View Post
[B][SIZE="3"]The Olympic torch will be carried round Britain before the start of the 2012 Games — but there will be no repeat of China’s protest-scarred worldwide relay.
Free Wales!
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:56 AM   #972
Chevin

Quote:
The Olympic torch will be carried round Britain before the start of the 2012

The Olympic torch will be carried round Britain before the start of the 2012 Games — but there will be no repeat of China’s protest-scarred worldwide relay.
Free Scotland!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:35 AM   #973
benedetton_alexandra

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
I laugh so much when I read posts like this. What you don't seem to understand is how free country's work. This might mean that some people are critical of something and then say what they believe (something that is not possible in China).

What you see is one sided reality. You see the criticism of China in the media and you think it's a big conspiracy against your country. But at the same time you can't see the full picture.

Have a look at recent media reports on the 8minutes that London provided at the closing ceremony. Notice the criticism? Or were you too obsessed by your narrow minded Nationalist views to not see this.

In free country's people have the right to criticize what they like. This is obviously something that you can't seem to grasp. Just as many in the media made negative comments about certain aspects of the Chinese Olympics, doesn't mean they won't do the same for London. After all, they have already started.

If you can't handle freedom of thought, then lock yourself up in your own world.
i think u misunderstand

chinese ppl criticised (some) the 8 minute part in athens 2004 as well.

however ur media bashes other countries for ulterior motives (because a lot of chiense ppl know whats going on, theyve been to western countries as well as china) and certain aspects it is different and worse than china but u still bash others internal affairs even though the own ppl dont complain about it. i think it shows u cannot accept others countrys individuality

in china ppl dont bash other countries out of nowhere unless in defence.
benedetton_alexandra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:45 AM   #974
jerseyboi
BANNED

IT industry welcomes technology challenges of 2012 & looks forward to Olympics 3.0

With London opting for the successful delivery of its promise of a green, secure, and integrated Olympics rests on technology.

The aspiration is to deliver the first ‘Olympics 3.0’ with spectators being able to enjoy multiple viewpoints, real time Games updates and live travel information through mobile devices. Each audience member will be able to access information previously available only to the sports commentator in the booth.

Intellect’s Major Events Group is comprised of over 220 companies including; Atos Origin, Consult, Deloitte, Hyperion, Nortel and Tricerion. ICT will support over 205 international sporting organisations, 20,000 worldwide media, nine million spectators, and over four billion television viewers of the games.

Carrie Hartnell, Transformational Business Programme Manager said:
“London will be the focus of the world’s attention in 2012 and will be showcasing the best of British technology. Broadcasting, ticketing, venue management, security and transportation will be delivered through innovative and interconnected technological solutions. Come 2012 technology will be central to London’s Games and its legacy.”

4G mobile devices, contactless access platforms and smart cards will revolutionise the experience of spectators and athletes alike. Using these devices attendees of the London Games will be able to interact with the games in a number of ways including; finding their way through the London traffic, receiving security alerts, buying tickets, web blogging on the Games live, networking with friends across the Olympic village and accessing local wireless networks for close-ups and replays of Olympic events streamed to their mobile devices.

David Birch, Director of Consult Hyperion commented:
“By 2012 the technologies – mobile and contactless – will have come together. Major manufacturers, such as Nokia, have already begun to integrate the contactless technology into their mobile phone product range. Once again London has been in the forefront of the development of new applications and services to take advantage of this fantastic platform. Barclays, O2 and TfL have just completed an experiment involving several hundred people who have been using their phones to catch the bus, ride on the tube and buy cups of coffee with a simple wave. The possibilities for 2012 certainly look exciting.”

Transport operators, banks and retailers are continuing to roll out new contactless terminals throughout London, laying down the rails for the next generation of contactless mobile devices to run on. This enabling infrastructure can provide a platform for a whole new set of innovative products and services to support London’s Olympics.

Patrick Adiba, Executive Vice President for the Olympic Games at Atos Origin - Worldwide IT Partner to the International Olympic Committee through to the London 2012 Olympic Games, said:

"As we complete the delivery of the IT infrastructure and systems for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, we see two areas where technology will play a greater role in London in 2012. Firstly in helping to deliver the low carbon Olympic Games from helping people plan their journey to the Games through to how the Games are broadcast around the world. Secondly in improving how the global audiences watch and follow the Olympic Games. In Beijing we have processed more than double the amount of competition data for media and news agencies than we did in Athens four years ago. We believe that this will increase yet further as audiences worldwide expect more detailed and colourful information about the competition events as they happen in the way that they want to receive it."

The technology infrastructure being built into London 2012 will enable our Olympics to be environmentally sustainable, making London the low carbon Olympics. From helping people plan their journey more efficiently to intelligent building management, technology will be at the forefront in reducing London’s 2012 carbon emissions.

Last edited by jerseyboi; September 2nd, 2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:22 PM   #975
jerseyboi
BANNED

Video screen wrap for stadium??

The main stadium at the London Olympics may be wrapped in a kilometre-long video screen in an attempt to create a defining visual image to rival Beijing's architecturally startling Bird's Nest arena.

London 2012 officials will return from China next week to begin detailed consideration of the "look of London", which has so far been defined by a graffiti-style logo which drew as much criticism as praise.

Now, after the Bird's Nest became the identifying image of the 2008 games, attention will shift to how London's centrepiece stadium will appear on billions of television sets around the world.

The stadium's architect, Rod Sheard, is advocating a kilometre-long screen that would establish the London games as the first digital Olympics. Everything from images of main events to Olympic-inspired art could be projected on to the screen and Olympic officials confirmed the idea was to be developed in the coming year.

"Sydney took the opening and closing ceremony into the air with cables, Beijing has demonstrated what is currently possible using lighting and visual imagery," said Sheard, who designed the Sydney Olympic stadium and Wembley. "The London Olympic stadium will be the beginning of digital technology. We see the stadium as the ultimate communication device."

He said records, replays, previews and live events could be projected to create a kind of "Henman Hill of the Olympics".

Lord Coe, who is leading preparations for the London games, said this week: "It is unlikely we will see a games of this scale and stature again. It is unlikely this will be the format for the future. It won't be in London."

Sheard's idea will face intense scrutiny from cost controllers committed to keeping the stadium to its £496m budget.

A digital screen is likely to cost far more than the original idea for a 30-metre-high fabric wrap to conceal scaffolding supporting 55,000 temporary seats in the 80,000-seat venue. Sources at the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) said detailed calculations had yet to be made of what could be achieved within the budget.

Early designs showed the wrap made from a recycled polymer or even hemp and decorated with still images of Olympic athletes made up of pixelated graphics to echo London 2012's graffiti-style logo.

The wrap is essential to animate an otherwise rudimentary stadium that architect Will Alsop described as "disappointing" when it was unveiled. He was among many who complained that the design, dubbed by some the "vol-au-vent", was an anticlimax after plans were ditched that imagined the stadium's exterior like petals of a flower.

Olympic officials said yesterday that an artist or artists could be commissioned to produce ideas for the screen, which will also protect spectators and competitors from cross-winds.

"The idea of using digital technology on the wrap of the stadium is an option that is being discussed," a source at the ODA said. "It is early days. As we look more closely at the creative treatment of this element in 2009 and 2010 we would assess the need for the creative skills of an artist and that would have to fit in with the overall look of the games."

The design of the stadium will be instrumental in creating a visual identity as it is likely to feature in the backdrop to broadcasts seen on TV around the world.

Olympic officials hope other venues, including the velodrome, by Sir Michael Hopkins, and the £303m aquatics centre, designed by Zaha Hadid, will capture the imagination, as well as the distinctly London backdrops to events such as beach volleyball at Horse Guards Parade and archery at Lord's cricket ground
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:33 PM   #976
jerseyboi
BANNED

bbc 2012 stadium web cam>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/..._webcam2.shtml
Old September 2nd, 2008, 03:46 PM   #977
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevin View Post
Free Scotland!
Yea.. Please do!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:22 PM   #978
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

trying out a different-ish fabric roof for the olympic stadium

Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 01:36 AM   #979
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 228

MY MY MY!!!!

I think, after a bit of thinking...I like it!
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 12:31 PM   #980
meds

Likes (Received): 6375

Quote:
cool
thanks for that
meds no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics