daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:59 PM   #981
manila_eye
Idiot Killer

Likes (Received): 99

i'm sure london will not use fake and ghost singers.
manila_eye no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #982
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by manila_eye View Post
i'm sure london will not use fake and ghost singers.
I think even they do, they will smarter then Beijing one and not saying anything
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #983
Metroguy78

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
trying out a different-ish fabric roof for the olympic stadium

Mo Rush, where did you get this?? I much prefer this to what we have now. Makes it a little more different than just a bowl in the ground.

this along with the projection screen idea would make me even more excited for visiting this.
Metroguy78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #984
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroguy78 View Post
Mo Rush, where did you get this?? I much prefer this to what we have now. Makes it a little more different than just a bowl in the ground.

this along with the projection screen idea would make me even more excited for visiting this.
I created it. Thought I'd try and build the stadium. Starting on second tier now.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #985
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6360

In some ways I think this stadium would look a lot more coherent without the wrap.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #986
tuten

Likes (Received): 1369

You could have told us this, instead of getting our hopes up that it might actually be built!

Citius, Altius, Fortius.
tuten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #987
Mo Rush

The cost of this stadium continued to concern me.

In Cape Town we just awarded the tender for a 30,000sqm PTFE facade from hightex(non RSA firm) yesterday for 5 million Euros. The same people that worked on Berlin Olympic stadium. There is no reason why London 2012 could not get a better facade.

Another example of todays prices. A double layer roof of glass and fabric with 72 steel trusses by Birdair(US) and Pfeiffer(Ger) is costing us 43m Euros.

Even double that....why could London 2012 not order the same thing and still produce a better facade and roof. This price includes installation!

5 million Euro facade - lets triple it to 15 million
43 million roof - lets double that to 100 million

Why are they paying 400+ million euros for 55,000 temp seats and the concrete for 25,000 permanent seats.

Labour is a big factor but since these tenders for Green Point Stadium include installation by the winning bidders from abroad I can only concluded that

YOURE GETTING RIPPED OFF
Old September 4th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #988
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroguy78 View Post

an updated version

Old September 4th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #989
meds

Likes (Received): 6353

they look great mo!!!
meds no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #990
Mo Rush

i've started a new thread for my olympic stadium design. would prefer not to fill up this thread with my ideas.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=701546
Old September 6th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #991
Big Texan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

have you done a render with the video screens?
Big Texan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #992
Mo Rush

http://planning.london2012.com/publi...rchtype=WEEKLY

link to what i assume are new planning docs relating to the stadium

Reference: 08/90143/REMODA
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #993
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 22

guys, as far as the singing goes, and yes i know its nowt to do with the stadium but can we end the ideas of london having live singers. it wont happen, risks of dodgy mics plus the massive issue of echo problems in a stadium which cause broadcast sound to be appaling mean that broadcasters get a live feed into the recording for 'live performances', imagine listening to the echo you get when you have the national anthem sung b4 a rugby match in cardiff, this is why tracks are used for olympic opening ceremonies. all i care about is the diva we are gonna haveat the closing ceremony, i am feeling, that after seeing her opening night of sticky and sweet, madonna would be a perfect choice seeing as london is her adopted home, she will be 54 by then but my god on the evidence of late aug, she will still me a mover lol
brummad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #994
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I'm not sure if any modern Olympic games use live orchestras - at the Sydney games, the symphony orchestra that was used had a 'back up tape' so they didn't play at all. The music that was actually played was done in a recording studio in suburban Sydney by the Sydney Symphony Orchestra and by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. The Olympic Organisers said that it would have been to risky for them to play live. I can't really blame them for that, when there's 100 odd people playing the risk of a **** up would be very high.

But when it's a small group/individual singer, then they should really sing live. But I'm a purist so I'm biased - I hate any singer that mimes.
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #995
acc521
Do you expect me to talk?

Likes (Received): 450

Not a Milli Vanilli fan I take it
acc521 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #996
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

Quote:
I can't really blame them for that, when there's 100 odd people playing the risk of a **** up would be very high.
Not on the musician's part it isn't. There's no way any professional ensemble wouldn't put on a fantastic live performance at an event of the magnitude of an Olympic opening ceremony. It's their job after all; it's no more or less risky than having hundreds of professional dancers. Anyway, the music they have to play at these kind of things is hardly the most avant garde, complicated music in the world.

There is of course the possible issue of exact timing with the lighting etc, so it's possible it was recorded to a click track to ensure it syncs up 100%.

But I think the biggest reason for pre-recording is so it can be mixed to work within the stadium acoustics which aren't ideal for a symphony orchestra.

Last edited by RobH; September 7th, 2008 at 02:09 PM.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #997
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Not on the musician's part it isn't. There's no way any professional ensemble wouldn't put on a fantastic live performance at an event of the magnitude of an Olympic opening ceremony. It's their job after all; it's no more or less risky than having hundreds of professional dancers. Anyway, the music they have to play at these kind of things is hardly the most avant garde, complicated music in the world.

There is of course the possible issue of exact timing with the lighting etc, so it's possible it was recorded to a click track to ensure it syncs up 100%.

But I think the biggest reason for pre-recording is so it can be mixed to work within the stadium acoustics which aren't ideal for a symphony orchestra.
The last part nailed it exactly. The sound mix in stadiums is horrendous, which could be seen clearly by the 8min UK appearance at the closing ceremony.
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #998
il fenomeno
♥ helfen statt hetzen ♥

Likes (Received): 22404

congrats. i thought the logo would be gay and reactionary as usual, but this is logo rocks.
il fenomeno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #999
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
I'm not sure if any modern Olympic games use live orchestras - at the Sydney games, the symphony orchestra that was used had a 'back up tape' so they didn't play at all. The music that was actually played was done in a recording studio in suburban Sydney by the Sydney Symphony Orchestra and by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. The Olympic Organisers said that it would have been to risky for them to play live. I can't really blame them for that, when there's 100 odd people playing the risk of a **** up would be very high.

But when it's a small group/individual singer, then they should really sing live. But I'm a purist so I'm biased - I hate any singer that mimes.
Bjork totally lip synced in 2004. Atlanta and Salt Lake City used live orchestras. John Williams specifically asked for that or he wasn't going to conduct. Salt Lake City also used the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. And if you use a stadium that has no roof and a sold out crowd the acoustics are fine. I know from experience.
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #1000
Dubai-Toluca
B.I.O.N.I.C.

Likes (Received): 20

NEXT

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics