daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #1041
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrmom247 View Post
HAHA first of all learn proper English because you're poorly representing our country. Europe is in my opinion more advanced than the USA in a lot of aspects. Have you ever been to Europe? Or have you been stuck in the shit hole of America all your life?
I'm sure it wasn't aimed at you Yrmom, and thankyou for the compliments by the way.

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #1042
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

amazing progress. would be awesome if all projects in London raced ahead at this pace!
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #1043
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I'm sure it wasn't aimed at you Yrmom, and thankyou for the compliments by the way.
Indeed - what a nice young lad yrmom247 is. Not all of America is a shit hole though

And not all of Europe is fantastic either.
Old October 15th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #1044
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

Credit crunch means 50% of finance needed has yet to be secured

The government has released £95m in contingency funding for the 2012 Olympic Village in east London in the wake of the global economic crisis.

Organisers revealed last month that only half of the £1bn needed for the Athletes Village and Media Centre in Stratford had been secured.

The overall budget for the Games is £9.3bn, with the contingency funding making up £2.2bn of that.

Lend Lease and the Olympic Delivery Authority have yet to agree a final contract for the sites.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #1045
jerseyboi
BANNED

UK has released £95m in contingency funding

Credit crunch means 50% of finance needed has yet to be secured

The UK government has released £95m in contingency funding for the 2012 Olympic Village in east London in the wake of the global economic crisis.

Organisers revealed last month that only half of the £1bn needed for the Athletes Village and Media Centre in Stratford had been secured.

The overall budget for the Games is £9.3bn, with the contingency funding making up £2.2bn of that.

Lend Lease and the Olympic Delivery Authority have yet to agree a final contract for the sites.
Old October 15th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #1046
[email protected]
a person in the universe

Likes (Received): 0

I love the Olympics
neeki35@gmail.com no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #1047
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Indeed - what a nice young lad yrmom247 is. Not all of America is a shit hole though

And not all of Europe is fantastic either.
I never said all of America is. But he's obviously from one in my opinion. Hes also banned. Which is good news.
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:06 AM   #1048
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 371

OMG, I love england. been there before, and I love how the city fits together. I hope they can still afford to keep building. Anyways looks great & exciting I will check back on this thread later.
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #1049
Adam2707

Likes (Received): 102

Official Olympic Stadium tour as steel seating is installed

Adam2707 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 04:16 AM   #1050
天地都在我心中

do not remove the images though..use it as a "generic" image
天地都在我心中 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #1051
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

Who says the British aren't supportive of the Olympics??

Pics i took at yesterdays Athletes Parade -

Old October 17th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #1052
fishcatdogbird
* I BELIEVE YOU WINONA *

Likes (Received): 8

Twas rather impressive, i was working down that way yesterday and there were stacks of people, defo more than ive seen in Melbourne for the Grand Final Parade or Olympian parades (there the only ones ive ever seen...) Bring on 2012, cant wait to see how it all looks finished!!!
fishcatdogbird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #1053
jerseyboi
BANNED

Olympic sale after games?

The Evening Standard reports London 2012 officials plan to recoup millions of pounds from the cost of hosting the 2012 Summer Olympic Games by auctioning off temporary arenas and swimming pools.
Hundreds of offers are expected from bidders that include sports governing bodies, universities and district councils, looking to purchase Games venues, seating, lighting, heating and playing surfaces.

The auction will be run by Sport England on behalf of the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) who is considering bids from overseas as part of the pledge to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to boost sport in developing nations, reports the Evening Standard.

A source said, "everything that is not screwed to the floor will form part of what can be sold off. The venues will be marketed as having had one careful owner".

Popular items expected to go quickly include four Olympic-sized pools - giant tanks which will be erected in the Olympic Park for swimmers training during the Games. The temporary pools are reportedly needed for the athletes during Games because of a severe shortage of permanent Olympic-sized pools elsewhere in London.

According to the Evening Standard, also being auctioned off is the entire water polo venue next to the Aquatics Centre, which includes two 33-metre pools and 5,000 seats. Each water polo pool will be reconfigured to 50 metres in the hopes of increasing the resale value.

Not included in the auction are 55,000 temporary seats from the 80,000-seat Olympic Stadium. The ODA has suggested they may be sold to Chicago if it hosts the 2016 Summer Olympic Games.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:45 AM   #1054
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17783

Olympics-No funding package for Olympic village this year

LONDON, Oct 22 (Reuters) - A funding package for the 2012 Olympic Village will not be in place before the end of the year, Britain's Olympic Minister Tessa Jowell has said.

The delay will increase the likelihood of the project cutting deeply into the government's 2.2 billion pounds ($3.61 billion) contingency fund.

Construction of the village has been hit by developer Lend Lease's struggle to secure its share of funding for the one billion pounds project because of the credit crunch.

The Olympic Deliver Authority (ODA) said earlier this month that there was a 250 million pounds shortfall in funding while the Government confirmed on Tuesday that it had released 95 million pounds to keep building work on track.

Work has already started on the east London site which will feature around 3,000 apartments to house the estimated 15,000 athletes and officials during the Games.

"The Ministerial 2012 Funders Group has approved the continuation of negotiations with private sector partners, including Lend Lease, banks and Registered Social Landlords to fund the construction of the Olympic Village," Jowell said on Tuesday.

"Due to the current situation in the credit and housing markets it is now likely that these negotiations will run into next year.

"Our priorities are to secure value for public money, the Village delivered on time and a long-term asset that will provide up to 3,000 homes, with a return for the taxpayer.

"In the meantime 95 million has been identified within the 9.3 billion budget to enable work to continue on the Village so that it is delivered on time."

Falling house prices in the capital have already forced the ODA to reduce the number of apartments in the village by around 1,000 because of uncertainty about their value after 2012 when they are to be sold off to recoup the investment.

However the ODA said on Wednesday that athletes would not be forced into cramped conditions and that the ratio of athletes to apartments would be around the same as at this year's Beijing Games.

"As we have said previously, we have been reviewing the scope of the Olympic Village to ensure we only build what is necessary for Games while ensuring we meet IOC requirements," an ODA spokesman said.

"We will continue to work on the scope and layout of the Olympic Village, working closely with LOCOG and the British Olympic Association.

"Room configurations will be developed and finalised in accordance with IOC regulations, taking into account the experiences in the Beijing 2008 Games."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #1055
jerseyboi
BANNED

2012 Mascot from> TheGuardian

London 2012 has put out a brief to find a creative agency for the important task of creating mascots to represent the capital's Olympic Games, including issuing guidance that it must "reflect the best of British".

The creation of mascots for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games will generate income from licensing and merchandising, helping the event's organisers to raise the £2bn needed to stage the event.

Today's brief, issued by the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games, stipulated that the mascots must "be brought to life" in "toy form, on clothing, in film and animation, on the gaming and digital platforms and in physical form".

"[Mascots] help set the tone for the Games and we're very excited about kicking off this process today," said Chris Townsend, the London 2012 commercial director.

"Fun and games aside, the mascot programme will be a key component of our licensing plan and will be a strong revenue driver as we seek to raise the £2bn required to stage a Games in 2012," Townsend added.

The agency that wins the brief will have to "demonstrate public involvement or engagement in the mascot development" and provide a full marketing and communication plan to launch the mascot.

When London 2012 launched the logo for the Olympics it came in for widespread criticism with one research report claiming that 70% of 11- to 20-year-olds disliked it.

Lord Sebastian Coe, chairman of the Olympics committee, defended the 2012 logo, by branding agency Wolff Olins, saying "we don't do bland in London".

The Beijing Olympics used a series of five mascots called Fuwa, while the Athens games in 2004 used a brother and sister called Athena and Phevos, named after two Greek gods.

In 2000 the Australians used Ollie the kookaburra, Syd the platypus and Millie the echidna; a strange creature called Izzy represented Atlanta in 1996; while Barcelona used Cobi the Catalan sheepdog in 1992.

1988's Olympic games in Seoul featured Hodori the tiger; the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics Sam the eagle; and the Russian games in Moscow in 1980 used Misha the bear.
Old October 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #1056
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

Thney will spend millions of pounds on consultation fees, then unveil Larry the Lion again!
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #1057
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republica View Post
Thney will spend millions of pounds on consultation fees, then unveil Larry the Lion again!
I vote for Vicky Pollard
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #1058
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

Mascot eh? So it'll probably be some PC, inoffensive, disabled, abstract shape if the logo is anything to go by!

(That said, I think 'Larry the Lion' or anything alike would be equally cringeworthy)
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #1059
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBox View Post
Mascot eh? So it'll probably be some PC, inoffensive, disabled, abstract shape if the logo is anything to go by!

(That said, I think 'Larry the Lion' or anything alike would be equally cringeworthy)
Lets here your ideas then because i'm sure they'll be amazing...
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #1060
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBox View Post

It'll probably be Larry in a wheelchair with his head under his arm, and his name will be changed to something crap like 'LondON Differently Abled Lion 2012 Gold!' or something...
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics