daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #1101
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

I expect the olympic village to be an excellent place to live post olympics, and its a shame they dont have the money to build the extra, because the prices will no doubt be sky high.

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #1102
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

2012 brand>

[IMG]http://i40.************/55mmc6.jpg[/IMG]

found this online with the new routemaster bus
with 2012logo on its side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?...000000018c6be0
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #1103
RobH

Likes (Received): 10313

Not quite sure what this has to do with Olympic Park development (might be better in the branding thread), but what a fugly bus design, glad it wasn't chosen!
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #1104
jerseyboi
BANNED

Couple of new pics from the 2012 website site.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:18 PM   #1105
jerseyboi
BANNED

USA EXCITED OVER GAMES!

The United States Olympic Committee (USOC) visited the offices of the London 2012 Organising Committee (LOCOG) this week for a series of updates on the 2012 Games.

The delegation saw first-hand the progress being made on the Olympic Park and heard about plans for a range of topics specifically related to athletes, including the way sport competition will run, Pre-Games Training Camps and transport.

They also visited the first completed venue for the Games, Weymouth and Portland, which will host Sailing.

The visit was organised by LOCOG's National Olympic Committe and National Paralympic Committee Relations team.

Leslie Gamez, Managing Director of International Games at USOC (pictured above, second from left), said: 'We are excited to see the activity and development that is occuring at the Olympic Park. The Olympic Village plan looks great and the close proximity to a large number of competition venues will make it extremely convenient for our athletes and coaches.

'They are going to love competing in the historic venues like Wembley and Wimbledon and for those who will have the opportunity to compete in the newer venues like BMX or Aquatics they will get to experience the new and modern London.

'From being in and around London and Weymouth and Portland, looking at venues and speaking with locals, we sense the their excitement about the coming Olympic and Paralympic Games.

'With less than four years until the Games, we are pleased to see the progress being made on all fronts - from the Organising Committee to the venues to the public works. We have a sense that these Games will be spectacular.'
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #1106
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

The park is looking great so far. *drool* look at all those cranes.
Beijing was too excessive for me, London will be simple and for all the world to enjoy in hard times!
Old January 25th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #1107
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I didn't like the Beijing games, they killed a lot of the fun and copped a lot of anger from people outside of China. They were very divisive games, rather than unifying. I'm very impressed by the progress already being made with the London Olympic site though. The area will benefit immensely.
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #1108
jerseyboi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post

image hosted on flickr

wow thats great, stadium crown going into place!
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #1109
ljubav

Likes (Received): 0

i like olympic willage project. but stadıum is... ?
ljubav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #1110
madjackmcmad

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljubav View Post
i like olympic willage project. but stadıum is... ?
'temporary' is the word you're looking for.
madjackmcmad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #1111
ljubav

ljubav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #1112
jerseyboi
BANNED

Vid
Old February 1st, 2009, 03:09 AM   #1113
JordanB2710

After being amazed at the initial imgaes of what the stadium was going to look like (a blossoming flower) and then seeng the actual bargain bucket reality I was very annoyed. Beijing had the Bird's nest and the concept stadium would have been on a par but I feel the stadium where getting is very embaressing.

What maes it worst is Wembley is going to be a venue and is so much more impressive. Thats gonna be like a wedding where all the female guest look better than the bride. At least our aquatics centre despite the awkward tempory stands is visually interesting thanks to Zaha Hadid. The one good thing is the stadium isgoing up very quick. I stood on top of a car park last summer and it was just a hole dug into the dirt and its not even been a year and the bowl seems complete and the upper tier is progressing well.
JordanB2710 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 03:15 AM   #1114
madjackmcmad

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanB2710 View Post
After being amazed at the initial imgaes of what the stadium was going to look like (a blossoming flower) and then seeng the actual bargain bucket reality I was very annoyed. Beijing had the Bird's nest and the concept stadium would have been on a par but I feel the stadium where getting is very embaressing.

What maes it worst is Wembley is going to be a venue and is so much more impressive. Thats gonna be like a wedding where all the female guest look better than the bride. At least our aquatics centre despite the awkward tempory stands is visually interesting thanks to Zaha Hadid. The one good thing is the stadium isgoing up very quick. I stood on top of a car park last summer and it was just a hole dug into the dirt and its not even been a year and the bowl seems complete and the upper tier is progressing well.
If you've got an extra £400m to spend & can employ people for peanuts & not give a crap about health & safety i'm sure the organising committee would love to hear from you.

London doesn't need a 'look guys this is London' stadium in the way Beijing did. Similarly how London doesn't need a Burj tower to say hey this is London.

2012 will have some iconic venues. Wimbledon, Wembley, Lords...
madjackmcmad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:23 PM   #1115
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanB2710 View Post

go to the sports arena thread and completed projects you'll see a thread named birds nest look at the last few posts on there and you'll see that from whats said and put on there is that a 1 billion dollar stadium is sat doing nothin they can't get a tennant or anything.Since the games it hasn't been used.London is making sure we don't follow suit.And emabarresing you say what's better,a practical basic temporary design that will be wittled down to 25.000 to provide lasting legacy for the training and progression of our athlets and serving the community or a giant one billion dollar monoilth rusting away
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:51 AM   #1116
Alix_D

Likes (Received): 49

It's not the 'standard' design of the Olympic Stadium that annoys me, as with most stadia in this country the designer's hands are often tied, but the fact that the people in charge of Athletics won't let it have a purpose after the games which is worthwhile.

There are several football clubs (and possibly one of the Rugby clubs would have been interested) who wouldn't have minded following in Manchester City's footsteps with the stadium and making it beneficial for all parties and leaving a lasting legacy, but the insistence on retaining a running track and shrinking the stadium for a minority sport which is already catered for (not just in London, but with a simliar white elephant in Sheffield) as much as it needs to be.

Waste of time.
Alix_D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #1117
jerseyboi
BANNED

Snowy Stadium progress

see> other info there too

http://www.london2012.com/blog/2009/...m-progress.php
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #1118
RobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix_D View Post
It's not the 'standard' design of the Olympic Stadium that annoys me, as with most stadia in this country the designer's hands are often tied, but the fact that the people in charge of Athletics won't let it have a purpose after the games which is worthwhile.

There are several football clubs (and possibly one of the Rugby clubs would have been interested) who wouldn't have minded following in Manchester City's footsteps with the stadium and making it beneficial for all parties and leaving a lasting legacy, but the insistence on retaining a running track and shrinking the stadium for a minority sport which is already catered for (not just in London, but with a simliar white elephant in Sheffield) as much as it needs to be.

Waste of time.
Why should the people in charge of athletics shoot themselves in the foot?! They were promised an athletics legacy from 2012 and it's been that way from the start of the bid in late 2003. Why should they let a mega-rich club take their stadium from them?

The promise was to have an athletics track, that promise is being kept. The water table is too high to dig down and create a pitch without a track now anyway.

London doesn't have a modern athletics stadium and training facility worthy of a city of 8m people; it will do after these games.

Spurs and West Ham will sort themselves out.

Quote:

What maes it worst is Wembley is going to be a venue and is so much more impressive. Thats gonna be like a wedding where all the female guest look better than the bride.
Beijing had a huge iconic stadium that is now a white elephant. Athens had a reasonably iconic stadium with its new roof but it wasn't amazingly special. Sydney's stadium was fairly functional as was Atlanta's.

Yet, Sydney 2000 is still for a me a far better games than Beijing 2008 and better than Athens 04, so venue aesthetics have less effect than you might think on perceptions of the games.

Furthermore, this stadium works rather well in its park context. Wimbledon is the best analogy I can give.

Rather like Wimbledon Centre Court it's not particularly special on its own but works fantastically well within its setting and doesn't overwhelm its surroundings. Also like Wimbledon, the idea is really to make it a park, a festival:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This is much more preferable to me than a monolith in the middle of a hugely uninviting concrete parade ground, which is what Beijing offered. Beijing 08 was a perfect games for an archticture forum to get its teeth in but the Olympics aren't about architecture and London is focussing on different aspects and giving less weight to huge architectural statements. It's fairly predictable how that would go down in a forum like this!

As far as the stadium design goes and what was promised in 2005, London has stuck to its promise. The IOC were aware the insectoid stadium was a concept drawing only. What they liked and a big reason London won was the fact that, unlike Paris, our stadium would be built completely around athletics. What we're getting is a stadium which has the stands closer to the track than any previous Olympic stadium and one which is designed to keep wind conditions perfect for athletics.

And whilst you may have loved the original design, look at it again with a more analytical eye. Do you really think all those gaps would have retained a noisy atmosphere? Do you think they'd have been good for wind currents around the track? I don't just mean the gaps in the upper tier, but if you look to the left of the image you can see that the main stand is cut away completely. The original design was very poor in many ways:

Old

New

Last edited by RobH; February 7th, 2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #1119
EuropeWord
EuropeWord

There are so darn many cranes in that village. They have big plans. That village has an extraordinary benefit from the olympics. It will look great in the end!
But is it big enough to support all fans and stuff?

ps: yes, that's an ugly olympics logo.
EuropeWord no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #1120
RobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeWord View Post
But is it big enough to support all fans and stuff?
What do you mean?

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics