daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM   #121
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 1933

I dont like it, seems like humanity is stepping backward....or just Beijing is too far advanced.......

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:45 PM   #122
jak3m

Likes (Received): 3

I disagree
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #123
BenL

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogging Molly View Post
Darjole you dont half talk some crap! I was involved in advertising. Something that simple does not cost £400,000. If they appointed a single company to work on a logo it would've cost no more the £10,00 to design something.
You just don't listen. It's a brand, not just a logo.
BenL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #124
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenL View Post
You just don't listen. It's a brand, not just a logo.
Maybe you need to ask yourself, why so many people here feel the same way...maybe it is the LOCOG not listening!!
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #125
marrio415

Likes (Received): 9

it's usless arguing because all most people want to do is knock the games in any shape or form.If you don't like it don't post end of.It winds me up when people knock it if it was the world cup coming then everyone would be saying yeah great bring it on.But no not the olympics which is regenerating a deprived area and leaving a lasting legacy the world cup won't bring that apart from some hooligans people do not make sense at times they talk before thinking
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #126
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Huh! who says I was involved? I said "I was once involved in advertising" nothing to do with this and many years ago and NO! ... its a logo. Not a brand! The brand is the olympics. NOT THE LOGO! the LOGO cost $800,000 ... THINK ABOUT IT.

The brand will be branded with the LOGO.
Flogging Molly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #127
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogging Molly View Post

The brand will be branded with the LOGO.
Which shows you know nothing behind this project, nor the concept of branding itself.

Go to the london2012.com website and look beyond the logo - the colours used, the animation, the shapes and the 'style' of the wording, the way text is written and the overall message that London 2012 is trying to get across. In 2012, you'll be instantly able to recognise something to do with London 2012 without the need for the logo.

That is called a 'brand'. That's what Wolf Ollins designed and cost £400,000. The logo was a small part of this. The brand is what encompasses the whole package.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #128
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

so there going to have a new logo?
Dallasbrink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #129
jak3m

No! Definitely not.
Read back a couple of posts please.
Old January 26th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #130
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Which shows you know nothing behind this project, nor the concept of branding itself.

Go to the london2012.com website and look beyond the logo - the colours used, the animation, the shapes and the 'style' of the wording, the way text is written and the overall message that London 2012 is trying to get across. In 2012, you'll be instantly able to recognise something to do with London 2012 without the need for the logo.

That is called a 'brand'. That's what Wolf Ollins designed and cost £400,000. The logo was a small part of this. The brand is what encompasses the whole package.
As one of the biggest supporters of these Games, I think the brand and logo are shit! Regardless of the price tag or "aim" of the highly awful job they've done. It really is just depends on the opinion of each and every person, but this time round I'm on the side of the large majority that believe that the logo and brand is a total mess up. It might just be unforgettable for all the wrong reasons.

Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #131
DarJoLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasbrink View Post
so there going to have a new logo?
Yes, six months after launching and having the logo plastered over half of London they're going to spend another £400,000 designing another brand.

Jees.
Old January 26th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #132
DarJoLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
that believe that the logo and brand is a total mess up.
Why why why!? The brand and logo sets out everything 2012 wanted to achieve. It fits the brief PERFECTLY and the fact that every sponsor that has come on board has been able to take the logo and rejig it to their brand guidelines shows how successful a design it is.

I still for the life of me don't understand the whole furore over it. There are far more weirder looking logos out there and many, many more that are far worse (you only have to look at the ones submitted by the public) in terms of flexibility and instant recognition.

I can't grasp why people see it as a mess. Is it the fact it doesn't have a Big Ben on it, or is the fact isn't the Union Jack, or what? The brand colours are vibrant and youthful, the logo has energy and buzz, it's flexible across all media and it projects the image of what the London Olympic Games will be about....so why do so many keep saying it's a disaster?
Old January 26th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #133
jak3m

I back up everything DarJoLe is saying.
Old January 26th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #134
Mo Rush

Its great that sponsors and LOCOG are happy, but its still failed to capture the imagination of the people. I can understand that they have tried very hard, but perhaps its all the trying that has resulted in the logo mess. It looks totally out of place and without class in some of those velodrome interior images. I'm sure the venue overlay and branding will be bearable, but from those boards around the construction site, they've messed that up too.

As somebody has said before. Old people designing something they thought the youth would like.

Bear in mind this is just my opinion. They certainly haven't reached any balance between youthfulness, flexibility and "buzz". Heck even the word "London" is too tiny.

Anyway this is an old topic.
[/QUOTE]

Old January 26th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #135
Mo Rush

Velodrome design concept

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old January 26th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #136
jak3m

I like the look of the Velodrome, it's simple and is harmonious with the aquatic center.
Old January 26th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #137
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak3m View Post
I like the look of the Velodrome, it's simple and is harmonious with the aquatic center.
thats just the design team that won. not the final design.

Old January 27th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #138
jak3m

Oh, ok
Old January 27th, 2008, 07:07 AM   #139
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Its great that sponsors and LOCOG are happy, but its still failed to capture the imagination of the people. I can understand that they have tried very hard, but perhaps its all the trying that has resulted in the logo mess. It looks totally out of place and without class in some of those velodrome interior images. I'm sure the venue overlay and branding will be bearable, but from those boards around the construction site, they've messed that up too.

As somebody has said before. Old people designing something they thought the youth would like.

Bear in mind this is just my opinion. They certainly haven't reached any balance between youthfulness, flexibility and "buzz". Heck even the word "London" is too tiny.

Anyway this is an old topic.
[/QUOTE]

Just from the design point of view, if I don't know anything about it, I will think it is a Sydney or some Australia city Olympic game, because the "zero" look like Australia and the use of font. a normal Joe won't look at this logo and connect it with UK.

Look back at the logo of Sydney, Athens and even the Beijing one (Beijing isn't as good as Sydney and Athens but still not bad), those logo even without the city name you still can guess what county hosting the game...but without the word "London" this logo have no nationality at all.

Last edited by Sexas; January 27th, 2008 at 07:15 AM.
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #140
DarJoLe

Quote:
thats just the design team that won. not the final design.
Er...yes it is.

I took those photos.

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics