daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2010, 05:53 PM   #1621
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

It looks like hell. If you wanted the first disposable Olympic Games, why not just inflate the world's largest bouncy castle?

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:55 PM   #1622
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

Useful post. Congrats.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 06:40 PM   #1623
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Sorry, but I fail to see the point in this exercise if all that will be done is erasing it afterwards. If London wanted a real estate development they could have just spent the money on that without an Olympic subterfuge. If the purpose of the games was to commit the national treasury to local redevelopment, then this should be investigated. Again, sorry for pointing out the obvious.
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:04 PM   #1624
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7139

Many London 2012 venues will have a legacy mode. But not everything has to stay.

I don't think basketball is very popular in Britain.
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:21 PM   #1625
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Many London 2012 venues will have a legacy mode. But not everything has to stay.

I don't think basketball is very popular in Britain.
I understand that but it's disrespectful to the athletes to have them play in an oversized party tent. Surely London has a better arena. Beijing was very respectful to the games and the athletes while this just looks like a cheap end run to commercial development. If these games are memorable, it will only be for what occurs on the field.
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:32 PM   #1626
PortoNuts

I can't give an opinion on this one until it's finished.

It looks good in the renders but I shall wait for the final result.
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:50 PM   #1627
RobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I understand that but it's disrespectful to the athletes to have them play in an oversized party tent. Surely London has a better arena. Beijing was very respectful to the games and the athletes while this just looks like a cheap end run to commercial development. If these games are memorable, it will only be for what occurs on the field.
No offence, but that is total bollocks. Beijing had eight temporary venues. Nearly all Olympics use temporary venues when there is no use for them after the world has left town.

Paris 2012 proposed 11. Madrid 2016 had a temporary velodrome plan, the structure of which was going to be moved elsewhere in Spain post-2016. Chicago 2016 proposed several tempoary arenas for their Games and Rio 2016, the city it lost to, is also building several temporary venues.

The basketball venue for the knockout matches is temporary because the thought process behind it is to move it to another city in the UK post-2012. The handball arena in the Olympic park, which is permanant, will become a multi-purpouse indoor arena. Stratford doesn't need two of these after the Games are finished so they're moving the temporary basketball venue elsewhere - a hugely sensible decision.

The notion that this is an oversized party tent is also rather funny, given that, for a temporary venue it's really rather good. It will be wrapped in 20,000 square metres of fabric and used as the canvas for a vast LED lighting display in the evenings and at night. Because of the schedules, putting basketball late in the evening to please its biggest audiences (in the US), it was decided to make the venue look spectacular in the evenings, when the basketball games are on, rather than during the day. More on the wrap itself:

"LED pixels across the fašade are individually controllable, enabling UVA to create dynamic
‘scenes’ throughout the games. UVA uses their own software tool, d3, in order to accurately ‘map’
the fašade surface with video content, and sequence content prior to the games. These scenes can
then be triggered and controlled in realtime during the Games."

http://planning.london2012.com/uploa...2816707%29.pdf

A ú60m outlay is hardly disrespectful to the basketball players. But if you disagree, you'll perhaps be pleased to know that the final of the basketball, won't be at this venue, but will go to the O2, which has a much bigger capacity:

image hosted on flickr

Quote:
Sorry, but I fail to see the point in this exercise if all that will be done is erasing it afterwards. If London wanted a real estate development they could have just spent the money on that without an Olympic subterfuge. If the purpose of the games was to commit the national treasury to local redevelopment, then this should be investigated. Again, sorry for pointing out the obvious.
The Olympic Park will be left with a world class athletics stadium, a world class swimming complex, a world class velodrome with the fastest track in the world and new cycling and BMX facilities surrounding it, and a multi-purpouse indoor arena. Just north of the park will be smaller venues such as hockey fields and new tennis courts.

The basketball arena is being moved elsewhere for reasons I explained above, not "erased" after 2012. I'm sorry you couldn't be bothered to find all this out before your unfortunate post. Most of the venues are staying put. The basketball arena is the exception, rather than the rule.

Last edited by RobH; May 1st, 2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:42 PM   #1628
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
. I'm sorry you couldn't be bothered to find all this out before your unfortunate post. Most of the venues are staying put. The basketball arena is the exception, rather than the rule.
I tried but this thread is a sprawling mess of cancelled proposals, changed designs and locals giving anyone who doesn't like it the sharp elbow.

As for the tent, We have a college footbal practice facility here in Albuquerque that's quite similar. Football practice is scrubbed whenever high winds crank up.
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:10 PM   #1629
RobH

Quote:
I tried but this thread is a sprawling mess of cancelled proposals, changed designs and locals giving anyone who doesn't like it the sharp elbow.
I take it that means you acknowledge you got the facts completely wrong, and are happy for me to have corrected your earlier posts.

But really, what did you expect?

You said, "I fail to see the point in this exercise if all that will be done is erasing it afterwards." The truth is all but one of the venues will remain in the park post-2012.

You said Beijing, in not using temporary venues, was more respectful of athletes. The truth is Beijing used eight temporary venues for sports including hockey, baseball, fencing, archery and beach volleyball.

If that's a "sharp elbow" then I'm sorry, but I can't really see how we can have any kind of proper discussion when most of what you say, and most of what you base your opinions on, is just plain wrong.

Last edited by RobH; May 1st, 2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:24 PM   #1630
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I take it that means you acknowledge you got the facts completely wrong, and are happy for me to have corrected your earlier posts.

But really, what did you expect?

You said, "I fail to see the point in this exercise if all that will be done is erasing it afterwards." The truth is all but one of the venues will remain in the park post-2012.

You said Beijing, in not using temporary venues, was more respectful of athletes. The truth is Beijing used eight temporary venues for sports including hockey, baseball, fencing, archery and beach volleyball.

If that's a "sharp elbow" then I'm sorry, but I can't really see how we can have any kind of proper discussion when most of what you say, and most of what you base your opinions on, is just plain wrong.
No, what I meant by saying this thread is a sprawling mess is that it just is. Go to page one and see how much relevant info there is. Then scroll through the next 20 pages and see what's there. And I wasn't accusing you of sharp elbows but other forumers in this thread that made attempting to find useful and relevant info frustrating. I understand Beijing's use of temporary facilities for volleyball since few permanent venues for that sport exist anywhere, and baseball since it is no longer an Olympic sport. Hockey is not a summer sport.
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:56 PM   #1631
RobH

Field hockey.

Unless you're talking about the seasons field hockey is played in, though if you are I'm not sure of the relevence to this thread.

I agree this thread is a bit all over the place. It's mainly offshoots from the main 2012 forums (PortoNuts seems to be doing a good job of making sure the best photos and articles from those threads end up here). I guess that means it's a bit of a mish-mash of stuff.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:36 PM   #1632
PortoNuts

Having a thread for each Olympic venue wouldn't be very pratical I suppose (apart from the Olympic Stadium of course).
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:38 PM   #1633
PortoNuts

More Filler Planned For Stratford

Architects Sutton Griffin has designed this new mid-rise building to slot in on Stratford High Street amongst some of the many towers that are planned for the area.

With Jupp Road to the north west, the 11 floor building has been planned as a 188 bedroom budget hotel for developer Lightbanner to sit on between 24 and 17 storey buildings adding a bit of differentiation to the height along this part of the road, whilst helping to prevent the appearance of an excessively tall urban wall.

As one would expect from a budget hotel, the facilities included in the scheme are meagre and apart from the reception, a communal eating area, and a landscaped terrace are completely lacking. There is no swimming pool, top spec restaurant, or health club on offer here.

The design features a bookended mass with a transparent full height glazed ground floor as its frontage with a modular approach to the exterior creating a chequerboard of windows and cladding panels although the precise materials have yet to be determined.

Despite all the towers going up along Stratford High Street at the moment, its designs like this that will really mark the development of the area for the 2012 Olympic Games - they fill in sites such as the current Kwik Fit garage and add a sense of continuity to the modernity on display that is lacking if regeneration is piecemeal rather than consistent.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=2513
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:12 PM   #1634
PortoNuts

Old May 8th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #1635
PortoNuts

Old May 10th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #1636
dd231
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Nice.
dd231 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #1637
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 948

Quote:
No, what I meant by saying this thread is a sprawling mess is that it just is. Go to page one and see how much relevant info there is. Then scroll through the next 20 pages and see what's there. And I wasn't accusing you of sharp elbows but other forumers in this thread that made attempting to find useful and relevant info frustrating. I understand Beijing's use of temporary facilities for volleyball since few permanent venues for that sport exist anywhere, and baseball since it is no longer an Olympic sport. Hockey is not a summer sport.
There's a reason that this thread is in the "General Urban Developments" forum.
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #1638
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Phenomenal!

Cant wait!
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #1639
sloppyjoetuesday

Likes (Received): 0

i know right!!!!!!!
sloppyjoetuesday no está en línea   Reply With Quote