daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2010, 03:56 AM   #1741
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Wow! Huge project!!! What will the City of London use this Olympics Park when they're done hosting an Olympics Game 2012?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2010, 09:47 PM   #1742
scalatrava89

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luboff View Post
Can the huge expense of this development ever be justified when much of the world's population doesn't even have access to clean water?
This isn’t the place.
scalatrava89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:06 PM   #1743
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Qatar plans to invest in London Olympics assets

LONDON: Qatar’s investment drive into London property is poised to focus on an unexpected area in the next few years: the 2012 Olympic Games and its real estate legacy.
Ghanim bin Saad Al Saad, Managing Director of Qatari Diar, which controls many of Qatar’s real estate investments, said yesterday the country was looking at taking part in the development behind the London games and its aftermath.
The move would mark a change in a strategy that has so far focused mainly on prestigious landmark buildings in the West End and City of London. Al Saad said: “We are looking for opportunities before and after the Olympic Games. There will be a lot of investment needed in real estate for the Olympics.”
Al Saad was clear that there would be further investment in the London market, having struck a flurry of recent real estate deals and been tipped to complete hotel acquisitions in the next few months.
Barwa, which is owned by Qatari Diar, bought a large West End development from Land Securities on Wednesday, and there are other deals being lined up to buy a stake in the Savoy hotel group by other parts of the sovereign state’s investment arm.
It is also on a shortlist to buy the Grosvenor House hotel.
However, sources close to Qatar were yesterday playing down talk of an immediate £700m bid for Songbird Estates, the majority owner of Canary Wharf Group in which Qatar Holdings is a 24 percent shareholder.
Songbird denied that there had been any bid.
Even so, the market has long been expecting a possible offer, or a Qatar-led corporate restructuring to resolve the complicated ownership of Canary Wharf.
Qatar supported a £1bn rescue rights issue and debt restructuring for the company in October alongside China Investment Corporation, China’s sovereign wealth fund.
CIC now owns about 15 percent of Songbird, with GF Investments owning about 24 percent.
Those close to Qatar have said the sovereign investor has never hid its admiration of Songbird, whose majority ownership of Canary Wharf gives it valuable exposure to the prime London office market.
During its restructuring last year, Qatar took its full entitlement in ordinary shares in addition to preference shares, warrants and participation in debt financing, showing its desire to gain higher exposure to the group.
There is also an acknowledgement among investors that the structure of the group is far from ideal.
Qatar will know that it has a strong relationship with the other major shareholder in Canary Wharf, Brookfield, which counts the sovereign state among the investors in its managed funds. 
Financial Times
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:11 PM   #1744
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7186

Qatar has been investing heavily all over London.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:14 PM   #1745
PortoNuts

Danny Boyle unveils 'epic and intimate' 2012 Olympic opening ceremony

Danny Boyle, the Oscar-winning film director overseeing the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics, has set out his vision for an "epic and intimate" launch event.

In an interview with The Sunday Telegraph, Boyle, whose films include Slumdog Millionaire and Trainspotting, said that the ceremony would be “full of spectacle and marvel”, and would feature pop and rock music from Britain’s greatest musical acts.

Boyle was announced as the artistic director of the opening ceremony last week, and will head up a creative team which includes the film-maker Stephen Daldry, who directed Billy Elliot and The Reader.

“Music has to play a big part in the ceremony,” he said. “For such a small country, we have the most extraordinary tradition of music, and people look to Britain as a beacon of music. It’s a big thing for young people, and the promise of the games was to bring sport and a sense of inspiration to young people. I hope one of the ways we’ll be able to do that is through music.

“Just think about who we’ve produced - the likes of David Bowie, Jimmy Page - and all the bands from Manchester where I’m from, like The Smiths, The Stone Roses and New Order. I love that world of music, it’s a big part of my life and many people’s lives, and you would imagine it would be a big part of the ceremony because pop music is freeing and inspirational.”

British films, he said, would also play a part in the opening ceremony, which will take place at the 80,000-capacity Olympic Stadium in Stratford, east London, on July 27, 2012.

He said: “You think maybe there should be some bits of British films in the ceremony, and there are some wonderful iconic British films that you could use - Chariots of Fire would be the most obvious one for obvious reasons. But just because Stephen and I are involved in film, I don’t think it should be a movie-themed thing.”

Boyle also hinted that winning acts from the television show Britain’s Got Talent, including Diversity and Spellbound, the dance and gymnastic groups, could also feature in the ceremony.

He said: “What’s extraordinary about those talent shows is the group work. Diversity are at such a level of professionalism, and I’ve been hugely impressed by that and you would hope to harness some of that talent. People love to see that kind of group work and I think there should certainly be some of that in the ceremony.”

Boyle, 53, who lives near the Olympic Stadium in east London, said that he would not attempt to “compete” with the extravagance of Beijing’s four-hour opening ceremony in 2008 which is thought to have cost more than £70 million and featured 22,000 performers, 43,000 fireworks and a 16-ton globe rising from the ground. Instead, he will stage the event to highlight Britain’s “idiosyncracies” and to showcase London as “a welcoming city without prejudice”.

He said: “Beijing is clearly the zenith of that type of ceremonial opening - you cannot get bigger than that and I don’t think you could probably get better than that, so it’s wrong to try and compete with Beijing.

“What’s wonderful about London is we have an opportunity to show that there is something idiosyncratic about our country, and we do things our own way, and re-think some of the traditions.

“It will have scale, because 80,000 people in the stadium deserve some kind of scale. It should be full of spectacle and marvel, full of promise and looking forward.

“I’d love to be able to sit here in two years time and say that the opening ceremony felt both epic and intimate.”

Boyle, who is renowned for making low-budget films that go on to make millions at the box-office, said that there were “strict budget limitations” for the ceremony and that it would be “inappropriate” to produce an overly “extravagant” event.

He said: “Again, it’s a contrast with Beijing, it’s a different time and a different place. China’s economy was in huge expansion, but it would be greatly inappropriate to attempt to do something on that extravagant scale and spend that amount of resources.

“It’s still a huge amount we’re spending in a difficult time for the country, so it should be spent well.”

Boyle described his new role as artistic director of the opening ceremony as “a massive responsibility and honour” that was “exciting and daunting”.

“I’m a huge fan of the Olympics, and this is a way that the cultural community of Britain says “welcome” to the games and to this city. I missed the Commonwealth Games in Manchester because I was away filming, and ever since then I’ve wanted to make amends, so when they said about doing this, I was thrilled and jumped at it.

“I have spent some time in the Stadium, and found it very inspiring. We will be able to produce something wonderful.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...-ceremony.html
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:36 PM   #1746
PortoNuts

£5m British garden project is inspired by the Olympic rings

The "Great British Garden" which will form the horticultural highlight of London's Olympic Park is revealed today.

The centrepiece of the £5 million project will be a "Perpetual Garden" inspired by the Olympic rings with a spiralling cinder track leading to a Pierre de Coubertin oak tree in memory of the modern Games' founder.

It will be surrounded by garden staples ranging from bluebells and delphiniums to sprouting broccoli and red cabbage. Excavation work has begun on the plot between the main stadium and the river Lea to create the kilometre-long gardens.

The garden's concept is an amalgam of two winning designs from 200 entrants in a competition launched last May by the Olympic Delivery Authority and the Royal Horticultural Society.

The winners, Rachel Read from Colchester and Hannah Clegg from Malmesbury in the under-16 section, have spent the winter at the drawing board with one of Britain's foremost horticulturists, Brixton-based Sarah Price.

Ms Price, who trained at Hampton Court, prefers the traditional approach over decking and water features and refers to gardening as "painting in three dimensions". It was 11-year-old Hannah's idea to divide the gardens into gold, silver and bronze sections. This has resulted in a bronze-planted circular zone with a "floating" sphere of Dorset granite. A silver sun-dial is at the centre of the second garden and surrounded by a woodland of silver birches. In the final "Perpetual Garden" the oak tree will be hung with golden acorns engraved with the names of former British champions.

An ODA spokesman said: “The Great British Garden will be a much enjoyed addition to the park that is taking shape as a green backdrop for the Games themselves and a new great park' for London in legacy.”

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ympic-rings.do
Old June 24th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #1747
PortoNuts

Basketball Arena

Old June 24th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #1748
scalatrava89

This is such a nice tent. Shame it’s going to be dismantled and moved after the games, at least it’s going to a good cause though .
Old June 24th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #1749
PortoNuts

And the lighting shemes it's going have ...
Old June 25th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #1750
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

http://www.london2012.com/planning/

planning application for the tower

[IMG]http://i47.************/vwxv9g.jpg[/IMG]

night view
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #1751
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3047

looks good, How tall is it since the only way up looks to be walking?
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 11:53 PM   #1752
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

amazing project
italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #1753
scalatrava89

Looks like Wembley Stadium’s offspring . Can’t wait to see this thing being constructed.
Old June 26th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #1754
PortoNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern37 View Post
looks good, How tall is it since the only way up looks to be walking?
It will be 115 metres high.
Old June 26th, 2010, 01:46 AM   #1755
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3047

its going to be a very impressive structure!!
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #1756
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboi View Post
http://www.london2012.com/planning/

planning application for the tower

[IMG]http://i47.************/vwxv9g.jpg[/IMG]

night view
seriously looks like a tower on an old fair.
looks like a piece of junk :///
skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #1757
PortoNuts

Aquatics Centre

by Ciudad Bristol.

Old June 28th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #1758
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 230

Im not a big fan of the steel 'structure'.

Its just too messy, I really tried to like it but what the park needs is something elegant, not 'in your face'
Old June 28th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #1759
PortoNuts

I don't want to have a full opinion on it until I see it built. Renders can be incredibly misleading sometimes, for good and bad.
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:42 AM   #1760
Geocarlos
Moderador

Likes (Received): 8059

That steel structure looks so heavy for that area. And I don't think is elegant either. Probably something lighter with fountains would be more appealing.
Geocarlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics