daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #1821
lazzaro_HD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Tabasco!
lazzaro_HD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #1822
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7150

Get the party started - London will be the star of 2012

Never mind the sport: London is set for four weeks of fantastic entertainment as host city of the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Apart from the opening and closing ceremonies of both sporting extravaganzas — for which the Oscar-winning British film directors Stephen Daldry and Danny Boyle are spearheading a team of internationally renowned talent — there will be parties, concerts, events and spectacles taking place across the city, potentially including light shows at London landmarks and performances on the Thames.

Live sites around the city will offer both big-screen coverage of Olympic events and entertainment by stars of the calibre of Mick Jagger and Robbie Williams, plus performances by Britain's leading arts, opera and dance companies. The kind of gymnastic and acrobatic acts Simon Cowell unearthed in Britain's Got Talent could also be included, as could large-scale Bollywood dance numbers to please both Londoners and the international crowd.

Sites are planned for Victoria Park in Hackney, which can accommodate 40,000 people, and Potters Fields near City Hall, for about 6,000 (there is also a permanent Olympic live site at Woolwich, one of several around the country). Other London locations, for 5,000 to 6,000 people, are to be confirmed at Jubilee Gardens on the South Bank and at King's Cross — near the terminal for the Javelin train to the Olympic site.

But the biggest party of all will be at Hyde Park. City Hall and the Royal Parks are negotiating a multi-screen, multi-stage venue in the park that will bring sport and spectacle to up to 60,000 people a day, from 11am to 11pm over the 17 days of the Olympics.

No names are confirmed yet as the project is out to tender among producers, but organisers speak of “big international and national names” — undoubtedly of the magnitude of Madonna or a re-reformed Led Zeppelin — plus companies from blue-chip British flagship venues like the National Theatre and Royal Opera House.

Alongside sport and live and filmed performance, there are plans for “experiential”, interactive entertainments along the lines of Coke's environmental pavilion at the Vancouver Winter Olympics, which drew 2,000 visitors an hour and included a Wii game where punters played a polar bear looking for an ice floe. What's more, entrance to the Hyde Park events, like those at the other live sites, is planned to be completely free.

Tickets will be bookable online, with the possibility of some admissions on the day. (As in so many areas of the 2012 games, this is a careful balancing act. Since some people who book free tickets for events invariably fail to turn up, organisers don't want vast empty tracts of space at Hyde Park: similarly, they don't want thousands of people waiting for hours for admission, as at Vancouver, “which introduced the new Olympic sport of queuing”.) The cost of the entertainment at the live sites is to be met by key sponsors, with the possibility of commercial events at Hyde Park in the run-up to the Games.

But if you can't get tickets to top events at the stadium, velodrome or aquatic centre, or a ringside seat to the opening or closing ceremonies, or even make it along to Hyde Park or the other big screen parties, don't despair.

Mayor Boris Johnson is negotiating with local authorities to relax restrictions on street parties and will supply cash to “animate” each London borough, “which could mean lamp-post banners or could mean a party in Bromley park to coincide with the opening ceremony” according to the Mayor's director of marketing, Dan Ritterband. (City Hall is also working on an online diary and phone app that will list all sporting and cultural events across London during the Olympics, and afterwards, as part of the Games' legacy.)

Besides, over the next two years, the Olympics will be all around us. Ritterband says that the city will be “dressed” with a view to accentuating its beauty and its famous landmarks, rather than swamping the streets with Olympic branding and streetlamp posters. One intriguing prospect is for a video screen which could actually rise from the Thames. And it's not just about making Londoners feel welcome at the Games, but also people from around the UK and the rest of the world.

In addition to the 70,000 volunteers to be recruited by the Olympic authorities to help on the Stratford site, the Greater London Authority will recruit 8,000 “ambassadors or hosts” to raise “the level of visitor welcome” across the city. They join a raft of celebrity ambassadors, both formal and informal, promoting the games in various ways, from Stella McCartney — who will design Team GB's sporting kit — to enthusiastic national treasure Stephen Fry and sporting legends such as Lord Coe, David Beckham and Sally Gunnell. And the mascots Wenlock and Mandeville — named for the villages of Much Wenlock, which inspired the launch of the modern Olympics, and Stoke Mandeville, where the Paralympics were founded — will be everywhere.

Hundreds of actors will take the colourful, cyclopean characters to schools throughout London and around the country (once problems with the costumes, which prevented them from freely moving their limbs, are solved). They will also feature as soft toys from beanie to giant size, on stationery and lunch boxes, and on clothing from festival sponsors.

John Lewis will this week start selling mascot toys in the merchandising concession in its Oxford Street branch and will gradually roll out the merchandising to the rest of its store network (the company is an “anchor tenant” of the new Westfield shopping centre at Stratford, overlooking the Olympic site). The two characters were specifically designed to appeal to the young and to digital consumers, so they already have a huge presence on social networking sites such as Facebook.

“One of our ambitions has always been to make these everyone's games,” says Bill Morris, the former BBC stalwart who now glories in the title of director of culture, ceremonies, education and live sites for London 2012. He says Stephen Daldry and his three co-producers leapt at the chance to oversee the four major ceremonies, and to re-examine established Olympic protocols around torch-bearing and medal-giving. Danny Boyle's reaction was “instant passion about the creative challenge but also a sense of civic duty, that this was what he wanted to do”, when he was asked to direct the opening ceremony.

The creatives who will helm the other Olympic and Paralympic ceremonies are yet to be appointed, so planning remains at an early stage, although Boyle and Daldry insist they won't be falling back on their greatest movie hits: no dancing Slumdogs or Billy Elliot boys. Daldry talks about “taking the opening event outside the stadium and into London”, and Boyle has talked about taking inspiration from the East End's dockland heritage, and “the river [as] the focal point of the city”. It seems likely the Thames may feature in the opening ceremony and throughout the entertainment accompanying the games — perhaps in the final stages of the torch relay, perhaps involving that submersible video screen.

In all the ceremonies, everyone involved agrees, there will be a balance between celebrating London's history and its present and future as a multicultural city (where many Olympic teams will find a ready-made home crowd) in a world emerging from recession. There will be none of the bombast of the Beijing ceremonies, or the tweeness (buses, bobbies and Beckham hoofing a football) of the British hand-over ceremony there.

“I don't think we should feel the need to compete with Beijing,” says Daldry. Boyle talks about harnessing crowds as part of the spectacle, rather than as mere spectators. The opening and closing ceremonies for London's 2012 games, and the accompanying entertainments, will be about inclusion, reflecting an inclusive city.

“We're not even really thinking about Beijing any more,” says Bill Morris. “We will be celebrating what an amazing city London is, and the UK more generally — our unique position in the world. The morning after the opening ceremony, just before the sport starts, London should feel that it is walking on water.”

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...he-olympics.do
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #1823
PortoNuts

by DarJoLe.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old July 29th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #1824
RobH

Likes (Received): 10313

I like how the branding is developing now, with the pictograms incorporated into it properly and the pictogram styling being applied to London landmarks as well. Might have to take a trip to St P to check it out properly.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #1825
PortoNuts

The Velodrome

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=189
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #1826
scalatrava89

Likes (Received): 99

Easy and quick to construct, light design and relatively cheap. ‘Yes cable-net roofs are / should be the way forward’.
scalatrava89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #1827
totolotek
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
In Ukraine, killing the dogs before the Euro 2012

The organization of EURO 2012 became the pretext for the authorities of Ukraine to the mass extermination of stray animals living on the streets. streets. For this purpose, inter alia, purchased Lisicziansk Mobile crematorium, by which, in theory utilizes the killed animals, in practice throwing a vivid, sometimes only stunned or anaesthetized by pharmacological means.

In Kiev and other cities to the extermination of the poison used, resulting in long and painful agony of the animals. Officially, the dogs buried in mass graves, calling it "method of soil mineralization. Representatives of organizations defending the rights of animals in Ukraine reported that the dealings, which are spent enormous financial resources, is highly corrupt - the majority of funds for this purpose is stolen, resulting in the killing of animals without retaining any procedures, at the lowest cost.

September 18, 2009 in Nikolayev city departments have carried out a massive campaign winding dogs. Witnesses saw how the dogs were shot in broad daylight, their corpses were lying in public places. Part of the poisoned animals - used small doses of poisons, which is why the dogs died slowly and in pain. The carcasses of dead dogs are exported out of town and there were buried in mass graves.

In the mass liquidation of dogs killed the pets that have got lost, which are waiting at home owners. The ditch in Lugano, volunteers found a dog with a visible trace of the collar. It turned out that it was the dog that fit the description of the animal, in Lugansk sought by his owner. The woman identified the dead animal to have a photograph taken by volunteers.

"He was quiet, gentle and well mannered dog. He was loved by car park security, custodians, drivers. He was very trusting towards people. It is not known if he had been given poison. However, suffered the longest, was still able to crawl under the car and hide, hoping to survive. But the poison has performed its task. The killer did not take the dog. “Mischka” was lying dead in the parking lot two days. "

Unwanted and Forgotten Foundation - SOS for Animals plans to make a petition directly to the Ukrainian authorities as well as through the Polish authorities, as co-organizers of the championships, to exert pressure on their partners. Call to stop the disgraceful laundering will also be directed to the football associations, UEFA, the Football Association and other institutions responsible for organizing the EURO 2012.

Also, you can protest against the treatment of animals bestial Ukraine and join those already protesting the site Wirtualni.wp.pl . Organizers will also encourage the shares to join the protest on Facebook. For more information, please visit the Foundation www.niechcianeizapomniane.org .
Hi! I know this is not an appropriate thread to put such an information, but I just want to inform people around the whole world what terrible and cruel things are happening( with an approval of ukraine's government!!!) in a country that is going to organize EURO 2012!!! I realize that I expose myself to get a ban, but my intention is only to do sth to stop this barbarous procedure in Ukraine....
Here you'll find movies and other informations regarding the article:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...66744&page=249
totolotek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #1828
PortoNuts

Basketball Arena

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=214
Old July 31st, 2010, 10:37 PM   #1829
PortoNuts

IOC boss hails London 2012 a model of regeneration

IOC president Jacques Rogge said London 2012 was a "beautiful example" of what the Olympics should be about, with a Games that breathe life back into a run-down part of a host city.

The International Olympic Committee chief said the regeneration of the "polluted, derelict" quarter of east London at the heart of the Games was a "remarkable" project.

The Belgian said he was confident London would be able to fix the IOC's concerns about transport problems, and insisted the new Olympic Stadium must remain as an athletics venue as 2012 chiefs work out what to do with it afterwards.

"It's a beautiful example of city regeneration and I would say of a positive legacy," Rogge told AFP in London, at the signing of a 10-year sponsorship deal between the IOC and US consumer goods giant Procter and Gamble.

"East London was totally polluted, derelict, and we are going to revive it.

"We are going to put back a heart, a soul, life, housing and a local population. That's what's remarkable.

"They will revamp it with new access roads, building and social housing. That is a positive legacy of the Games.

"We always demand that there is a legacy which is not purely sporting, with one or two stadiums, but also has an economic, urban and human legacy."

At the IOC's latest check-up on London earlier this month, Olympic chiefs said they were happy with the progress but said their chief concern was the British capital's congested road network.

"It's true that transport in London is difficult because there is lots of traffic but the roads are not very wide," Rogge said.

"But the organisers, along with the city and the public authorities, have come up with a transport plan which, in my opinion, could work well. I'm not worried."

The original Olympic Stadium pledges presented to the IOC in London's 2005 bid had the 80,000-seater venue's top tier removed to leave a 25,000-capacity athletics arena.

But its future is still uncertain, with local English Premier League football side West Ham interested, and other plans for concerts, entertainment use and even cricket have been mooted.

But Rogge was adamant the athletics function would remain.

"We insist that they should not leave 'white elephants'," the 68-year-old said.

"We are sure that there will be an athletic legacy and another one -- could be football, could be entertainment, could be something different.

"You can perfectly have a football pitch of highest quality with an athletic track around.

"You can combine both, which in terms of legacy is absolutely perfect, so we have no concerns about that."

The London Games are on schedule and running within their budget of £9.3 billion (14.5 billion dollars, 11.2 billion euros).

"I expect that budget to be on balance," Rogge said. "We're not speaking about overspending."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...T-bAkuoZq-9DtQ

Old August 2nd, 2010, 03:55 AM   #1830
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

In Pictures: 2012 London Olympics construction

Jul 28, 2010: Officials reveal progress to date, two years from the opening ceremony

[IMG]http://i28.************/34g7wwk.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://i28.************/33ngjg7.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.************/9jezic.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://i27.************/2usz9qo.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.************/2lian46.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://i29.************/5xk3kg.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i30.************/n2irdi.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://i26.************/30wxu09.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.************/14xfn68.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://i30.************/9k0bgk.gif[/IMG]

http://www.constructionweekonline.com/

[IMG]http://i29.************/ogfbip.gif[/IMG]
Old August 2nd, 2010, 08:45 AM   #1831
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3046

great update
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM   #1832
PortoNuts

Niccolo Campriani first competitor to qualify for Games

The name Niccolo Campriani is sure to feature as a statistic or quiz question at some point in the build-up to the London 2012 Olympics after the young Italian became the first competitor to officially qualify for the Games.

The 22 year-old shooter won Saturday's 10m Air Rifle Men final, the opening competition of the 50th ISSF World Championship in Munich.

After becoming the first Italian to win the event for 40 years, looking ahead to London will now be all the more sweeter for Campriani, who missed out on the final at the Beijing Olympics.

Campriani said: "I can't believe I am the first qualified athlete. This is going to help me, the sport and our federation, in the future. I am so happy."

The Firenze marksman, who studies engineering and training at West Virginia University in the US, breezed through qualification with a score of 599 out of 600.

In the final he outscored Hungary's Peter Sidi and India's Gagan Narang, the current world record holder, to lift the title.

Abhinav Bindra, who caused a sensation in India when he claimed gold in Beijing – the first individual to do so, could finish only 25th in qualification.

Meanwhile, Britain's hopes of success in the athletics events London 2012 could be hit by a ban on a popular starting pistol.

The Olympic .380 BBM was banned last month after being used in a series of shootings when police discovered criminal gangs had been converting the pistols from firing blanks to live ammunition.

But David Brown, firearms licensing manager for UK Athletics, has now said that races around the country had been brought to a "virtual standstill", with two years to go before the Games.

"The implications for our major Olympic sport in the lead-up to 2012 should not be underestimated," he said.

"The guns are the only thing that give a dual signal, a flash and smoke, to the athletes in front of you and the timekeepers."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...for-Games.html
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #1833
PortoNuts

Aquatics Centre

Old August 6th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #1834
PortoNuts

Summer holiday? We’d rather stay here for Games, say Londoners

Almost three quarters of Londoners back the Olympics — and a big majority say they plan to remain in the capital during summer 2012 rather than go on holiday, a poll has found.

Games organisers have also seen their ratings rise, with nearly two thirds happy with the work of the Mayor and Government on the project. The findings are in an Ipsos MORI/BBC London poll to mark today's two-years-to-go milestone.

Seventy-three per cent of those questioned supported the Olympics, an increase of four per cent on BBC London's 2006 poll, and nine more than an Evening Standard survey last year.

Almost a third said they were more positive about the games compared with when the bid was won in 2005. Thirteen per cent opposed the Games, five per cent fewer than in 2006.

Sixty-five per cent said the Government and Mayor were handling the Olympics well — a jump of 20 per cent.

Four out of five Londoners plan to stay in the city during the event, and just eight per cent said they would leave to avoid the Olympics.

More than half — 53 per cent — said they planned to buy a ticket and watch events live — and three quarters said they should have preferential access to the 10 million Olympic and Paralympic tickets, which go on sale next March.

There are still concerns over the cost, and the capacity of the transport system to cope with an influx of millions of visitors.

Forty-five per cent said the £9.3 billion budget was “not good value for money” — the same proportion as last year's Standard poll — and one in five people said it should be cut further.

Some 55 per cent feared the transport network would struggle.

Londoners were divided over the idea of providing special “Olympic lanes” to speed accredited personnel to venues. Half supported it but 45 per cent did not, though a majority agreed they did not want them used by journalists, as currently planned.

A total of 1,002 people took part in the survey.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...y-londoners.do
Old August 7th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #1835
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #1836
PortoNuts

Are they making touristic tours to the Stadium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboi View Post
Old August 9th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #1837
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

progress so far........

[IMG]http://i34.************/x2wh2g.png[/IMG]
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #1838
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3046

Heres a great shot of the inside of the aquatics center

And also one of the parklands

And the inside of the stadium
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #1839
Rory Stott

Likes (Received): 0

I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with me here, but my favourite project that has come from the 2012 olympics is the electrical substation!!
http://www.openbuildings.com/buildin...file-1492.html
It is a very subtle building, opaque and forbidding enough to keep people out but not ugly and disrespectful of it's surroundings like you would expect from such a functional building. Not like these Generic 'Iconic' stadiums... I think they detract from the character of the city, because all the character they have is 'hey, the olympics was here once'
Rory Stott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 03:15 AM   #1840
PortoNuts

NBA heads to the O2 Arena to drum up support ahead of London 2012

The NBA is to bring regular-season basketball to the O2 Arena for the forthcoming season with confirmation that the New Jersey Jets and the Toronto Raptors will play back-to-back Atlantic Division games on March 4 and 5.

“The staging of our first regular-season games in Europe is a milestone for the NBA and the ongoing development of basketball in the region,” said NBA commissioner Dave Stern. “We are fulfilling our commitment to schedule a regular-season game in the UK prior to the 2012 Olympics – a natural progression given the overwhelming response to the many friendlies we have played to sold-out crowds over the years.”

“This, to us, is in the context of giving as much support as we can to the sport of basketball for the 2012 Olympics,” continued Stern. “Europe to us is second only to China as a potential revenue source.”

The O2 will be where the knockout stages of the 2012 basketball competition will be staged – the quarter-finals onwards – and has already proved an outstanding venue for the last four NBA Live exhibition games and the Great Britain national team during various European qualifying matches. In October it will host this year’s NBA live fixture, Kobe Bryant’s LA Lakers the reigning NBA champions, taking on the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The Nets roster currently features NBA All-Star Devin Harris, the number three overall pick in the 2010 NBA Draft in Derrick Favors and centre Brook Lopez, who earned a place on the T-Mobile NBA All-Rookie First Team in 2009. The team recently came under the ownership of Russian businessman Mikhail Prokhorov and has since named Avery Johnson — the 2005-06 NBA Coach of the Year and an NBA champion as a player with the San Antonio Spurs — as its new head coach.

The Raptors meanwhile would expect to feature a number of top European players including Italy’s Andrea Bargnani – the first-ever European No.1 overall pick in the NBA Draft, in 2006 – and Marco Belinelli; Jose Calderon a guard with European and World champions Spain and Linas Kleiza of Lithuania. Head Coach Jay Triano — who became the first NBA coach born and trained in Canada when he served as an assistant coach for the Raptors during the 2002-03 season — will lead Toronto.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...ndon-2012.html

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics