daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Latvia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #61
Vecais Sakarnis

Likes (Received): 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz View Post

Local tram and bus lines must be established to serve the people from nearby districts, like it's done in many other cities. It's much wiser to have each bus travel only ~2km long routes than clogging the streets in the entire city, also this will require less buses, due to faster vehicle turnaround rate on such a local route.
So, that means people need use 2 transports instead of one - it's more expensive, takes more time and is more unhandy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz View Post
Yes, trains can run every 10 minutes, why wouldn't they?
Why do you ignore my next sentence: How many new trains we need in such a case? Do we really have so many trains? But yes, trains are not expensive - only 5 mio/train with 3 wagons, but the real problem is that we need to rebuilt all railway network because at the moment there is no new trains in the world which would fit in Latvia's current infrastructure (it's not my words, but representative of "Pasažieru vilciens" words).

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013 BERLIN 2012 VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012 MADRID 2011 PARIS 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

UPCOMING: Malta 2013 | Cagliari 2013 | Amsterdam 2013 | Stockholm 2011
Vecais Sakarnis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 13th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #62
raz

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais Sakarnis View Post
So, that means people need use 2 transports instead of one - it's more expensive, takes more time and is more unhandy.
Not if you save 30 minutes or more each day, and get to sit down, instead of standing in the crowded bus for 30 minutes. It's also hardly more expensive, considering the benefits = savings. You can fit a lot of people in one train, and as I already said, requires less buses and drivers.
raz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #63
raz

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
[...]the real problem is that we need to rebuilt all railway network because at the moment there is no new trains in the world which would fit in Latvia's current infrastructure (it's not my words, but representative of "Pasažieru vilciens" words).
I guess the studies are being made right now about how financially viable this reconstruction would be in the current situation.
raz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #64
Nomels
SSC censors - go subtle

Likes (Received): 163

Here is a good dicussion link dedicated to the alternative transport systems
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=425443
Apparently monometro currently is a safest transport mode and it operates in Germany, Japan and is u/c in other places.

If you go to www.rvr.lv you'll see that they are already able to manufacture low floor trams (floor is 35cm from a rail) and trains and getting orders from other countries and renovating a public transport fleet in Riga, so we will se what happens in next years, see, Riga trams need to be replaced soon because the expiry date is 2010
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #65
Nomels
SSC censors - go subtle

While going through the stuff in net I found these incredibly interesting links:
http://www.dkubs.lv/karte/ - a map with all the public transport, stops and names of the stops
http://www.enjoymobility.lv/index.ph...=101&lang_id=2
I found it useful as well
Old November 29th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #66
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 3

Yes! Riga will have metro! I heard that Ministry of transport had officially approved the idea of creating a metro in Riga. Now they are just looking for investors to build it. So, it will happen!
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #67
indipuk
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
Yes! Riga will have metro! I heard that Ministry of transport had officially approved the idea of creating a metro in Riga. Now they are just looking for investors to build it. So, it will happen!

Please provide source of your information. And WTF do you mean by "they are just looking for investors to build it". Private investors will never build metro and I doubt that EU will fund metro for Riga.

Last edited by indipuk; November 29th, 2007 at 06:52 PM.
indipuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #68
Pauls
copyright

never mind
Pauls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #69
Pauls
copyright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
i want to belive that
Pauls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #70
Gatis

Likes (Received): 425

Ha ha ha.... wow. Bad joke

Ambermarks - landmarks of Latvia
Gatis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #71
RS
RS

Likes (Received): 10

No no it can't bee true , not naw, I just don't believe......

Where did you get this info ?
RS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #72
Vecais Sakarnis

Likes (Received): 524

Beautiful photo of traffic jam from "Diena" photographer Uldis Briedis:

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013 BERLIN 2012 VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012 MADRID 2011 PARIS 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

UPCOMING: Malta 2013 | Cagliari 2013 | Amsterdam 2013 | Stockholm 2011
Vecais Sakarnis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #73
Janis_LV
Janis_LV

Quote:
Beautiful photo of traffic jam from "Diena" photographer Uldis Briedis:

what a coincidence - as I saw this pic in todays diena - though of putting it on Skyscraper: pretty good ilustration of what it is to drive a car these days in Riga. Not so sure though how beautiful this sight is... I think this is more like a driver's nightmare.
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #74
RS
RS

And naw there is plan's to create traffic roads for public transport, I can't imagin, what traffic jams will bee.
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #75
Janis_LV
Janis_LV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS View Post
And naw there is plan's to create traffic roads for public transport, I can't imagin, what traffic jams will bee.
traffic jams, but only for the lazy arrogant ones who prefere to drive a car - for the rest of us (an absolute majority of us) life will finally be much easier, I think it is a fair decision.
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #76
RS
RS

MM, very easy and cheep, interesting, why other city's in EU didn't doo that.

Its a simple and dirty way haw to solve this problem. No one will use this public tranport for sure.

This is impossible, to doo "cheep and effective", sorry...

Discrime and recket for car driveres...
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #77
Nomels
SSC censors - go subtle

Riga Metro = Riga Railways

I propose to introduce a form of Public Transport for "posh Riga citizen who is not bothered to be stuck for an hour in a jam".

Every normal tram and trolley from when PT will have an advantage lines throughout a whole Riga should be followed by a high comfort (built in individual TV's, WI-FI...) "VIP" tram or trolley. It would cost more to make up the difference for the reduced passenger numbers, because of the limited seats available.

No more drunks breathing in your face, no more bumping and stepping on each other -always predictable times.

Old November 30th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #78
Gatis

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Its a simple and dirty way haw to solve this problem. No one will use this public tranport for sure.
Last two years since I started to work in Riga again (earlier I worked outside it) - I am using public transport from my 14 km far-away location. Occasionally I use car as well (if there is heavy purchase planned f.e.) - but then I leave it some 2 - 4 km outside the Centrum - close to some tram stop. Today I also had to take a car - so I left it at "Zelta bovlings" and took a tram. And you know - all my collegues do the same!!!

@nomels - basically all the people in trams and trolleys look normal and intelligent. The worst public happens to be in those damn minibuses. And other factor - if you separate people of different income, you create a lot more problems than benefits.

Ambermarks - landmarks of Latvia
Gatis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #79
Nomels
SSC censors - go subtle

I was reading TVNET new section called "drivers against traffic jams", and I could not resist to spend an hour to write and post an article in it - check it out - in Latvian though
http://www.tvnet.lv/zinas/traffic_ja....php?id=524936
Old November 30th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #80
Into
Landscape Architect

Likes (Received): 6

Hat's off to you Nomels! Good article, hopefully someone who can make decisions will read it and realize as you did that the infrastructure already exists and with a pretty good layout to boot!

Soon these drivers sitting in their cars will be seeing first bicyclists, and then pedestrians moving faster than they are and they will soon join them instead of sitting in a car, burning gasoline and taking 1-2 hours to cross Vansu Tilts.

Last edited by Into; November 30th, 2007 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Apsveiktu Nomels ka malacis!
Into no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, subway