daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 21st, 2010, 03:53 PM   #1981
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11131

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Articles 143 and 148 of italian street code and "decreto legge" 214/03 regulate this matter and state that you can only overtake on the left. But according to a recent regulation by Polizia Stradale the overtaking on the right is still "illegal" but it will not be sanctioned.
Never heard about it... I don't think it works this way: for what i know overtaking on the right is illegal and sanctionable

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:03 PM   #1982
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3naranze View Post
I'd like to point out that overtaking is passing another vehicle by changing lane. According italian road traffic code, you must drive on the right lane, the other ones are reserved to overtake - on the left - slow vehicles; this to prevent dangerous zig-zag driving. So, if you are driving on a lane while the right one is empty, you'll be fined 33 euros (and 4 points less on your driving license credit - italians only). therefore, passing alongside slow vehicles on the left lane while you're still driving on the right lane is correct!
Any official explanation or traffic code on the net? It can be in Italian language, especially the bold part.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:00 AM   #1983
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Any official explanation or traffic code on the net? It can be in Italian language, especially the bold part.
I've read both aforementioned articles (143 and 148) and found nothing. The closest it gets is this:

Art. 148 c. 5, 6:

Quote:
6. Sulle carreggiate ad almeno due corsie per ogni senso di marcia il conducente che, dopo aver eseguito un sorpasso, sia indotto a sorpassare un altro veicolo o animale, può rimanere sulla corsia impegnata per il primo sorpasso a condizione che la manovra non sia di intralcio ai veicoli più rapidi che sopraggiungono da tergo.

7. Il sorpasso deve essere effettuato a destra quando il conducente del veicolo che si vuole sorpassare abbia segnalato che intende svoltare a sinistra ovvero, in una carreggiata a senso unico, che intende arrestarsi a sinistra, e abbia iniziato dette manovre.
#6 says "in carriageways with at least 2 lanes per direction, the driver who, after having completed an overtake, intents to overtake another vehicle or animal, may keep the vehicle in the lane used for the first overtake, as long as the maneuver doesn't block faster vehicles coming from behind".

#7 says "the overtake shall be completed on the right when the driver of the vehicle intended to be overpassed had signaled that he/she intents to turn left or, in a one-way carriageway, that he/she intents to stop on the left and is already conducting a stop maneuver".

A far-stretched combination of #6 and #7 would suggest that it would be possible to pass on the left, but this would apply only to roads where there are exists on the left and, after passing a vehicle turning left by its right (allowed by 7) , you stays in the same right lane used for passing to overtake a second vehicle travelling on the left lane (#6).

#7 is meant to accommodate one-way roads and urban avenues with parking on both sides, or turning lanes. There are few circumstances in which a highway has an exit on the left, and, to the extent of my knowledge, no highway with shoulder or parking area on the left as to allow the application of this "comma".
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:33 AM   #1984
3naranze

Likes (Received): 2

overtacking on Autostrade italiane

this text is available in italian only, at present.
(Italian police forum web site is even under maintenance!) It points out what is overtacking (=sorpassare) and what is passing alongside(=superare) while you're driving on italian motorways, according italian road traffic code (articolo 143, modified by legge 214/2003).

Last edited by 3naranze; September 22nd, 2010 at 10:57 AM.
3naranze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:54 AM   #1985
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3naranze View Post
this text is available in italian only, at present.
Quote:
Chi provenendo da dietro si trova sulla corsia di destra, che è libera davanti a se, e trova occupata quella alla sua sinistra, può legittimamente proseguire la marcia su quella corsia senza con ciò incorrere nella violazione prescritta per il sorpasso a destra, perché sta semplicemente effettuando il superamento di un veicolo che è in contravvenzione, cioè si sta tenendo a sinistra nonostante ci sia una corsia libera a destra sulla carreggiata
(Italian police forum web site is even under maintenance!) It points out what is overtacking (=sorpassare) and what is passing alongside(=superare) while you're driving on italian motorways, according italian road traffic code..
I understand it now. It is argued that if a FASTER vehicle is travelling on the RIGHT lane and a SLOWER vehicle is driving on the LEFT lane, if the left lane is otherwise free the slower vehicle is violating the road code in the sense that it is not driving on the right lane. Then, the "keep on right at constant speed and pass" maneuver becomes legal because the driver is avoiding an irregular situation (slower vehicle on left) created by someone else.

The text also discuss the technicality of "overtaking". It must comprise a change of lane before passing the other vehicle. Hence, a driver who stays in his/her lane cannot be fined for overtaking on right if he/she was already on the right, as a change of lane is an essential element to characterize an overtake. Changing from middle lane to right lane to overtake is illegal though. Do it twice within 24 months and get your license suspended from 1 to 3 months.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:36 PM   #1986
nestea_lemon
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

No, you must not, ever, pass a car on the right side. Always on the left side, that's why it's called a "passing lane". That's illegal and you can cause an accident. Perhaps the car in front of you sees you and wants to clear the lane in the last moment and turns right and then BAM!
nestea_lemon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:36 PM   #1987
Suburbanist
on the road

I agree with you over the safety issue. Yet I was pointing technicalities of the law. Some drivers will not move out of right lane.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:11 PM   #1988
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

OK, grazie.

Now I see I can pass vehicles on right lane without making infractions.

Just another question: I see, that above article was written in October 2003, when they passed a new traffic code. But I remember, that later even newer traffic code was accepted (in 2007 or 2008, don't remember exactly). Is above information about passing on right lane still valid even under new code?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:49 PM   #1989
Suburbanist
on the road

AFAIK, no changes affected regulations of moving traffic. The legal text I attached above is up-to-date.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:22 PM   #1990
3naranze

Likes (Received): 2

modifications didn't affect those norms regulating driving on autostrade
3naranze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:11 PM   #1991
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

A50 - Tangenziale Ovest di Milano

A bunch of pictures from the western ringroad of Milano.

image hosted on flickr

ch 899 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 901 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 902 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 903 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 904 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 905 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 906 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 907 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 909 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 910 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 911 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 912 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 913 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 914 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 915 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 916 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 918 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 919 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 920 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 921 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 922 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 923 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 924 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ch 925 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:51 PM   #1992
Mauz®
Utonto

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
OK, grazie.

Now I see I can pass vehicles on right lane without making infractions.
My advice is not to do it. I wouldn't be suprised if even the Italian policemen don't know it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A50 - Tangenziale Ovest di Milano

A bunch of pictures from the western ringroad of Milano.

image hosted on flickr

ch 899 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
In this photo, where you see the Autogrill headquarter, is where I work (not in the Autogrill headquarter, but in a separate building close to it).
Mauz® no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:11 PM   #1993
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11131

Some pic of Milano East bypass by gruber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruber View Post
Monluè, 29 agosto 2010.
Foto scattata dalla T.Est

Tangenziale Est, 29 agosto 2010

Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:47 PM   #1994
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3841

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
The town/city of Isernia how big it is? I saw that town in google maps few weeks ago

@Coccodrillo: Thanks for the info
20K...I think the smallest capital of an italian province...maybe Sardinia excluded
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #1995
brick84

This is an old news, anyway interessant:

Quote:
Infrastructure: the gallery of the motorway Catania-Syracuse St. Demetrius has received the highest score in Test Euro Tap
[IMG]http://i53.************/15n85cn.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.************/2ilhkxf.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i53.************/wvbpdj.jpg[/IMG]

Published by peppecaridi on 26 August, 2010

The President Anas Pietro Ciucci, "We are proud of this prestigious award which rewards all of South Italy" - For the first time since they were established rigorous testing Euro Tap on tunnel safety in Europe, an Italian gallery has earned the assessment maximum 'excellent'. This gallery of St. Demetrius, on the motorway Catania-Syracuse, Anas management, which is the longest of Sicily (3 km) and has the latest technology in security. Euro Tap Tests are executed by a consortium comprising specialized engineers and 15 of the main European automobile clubs, including the ACI is also included.
Video surveillance, alarm and ventilation, fire safety exits and an organizational system, manned 24 hours by 24 trained staff, have enabled St. Demetrius of becoming the first Italian gallery to deserve better.

"Anas is proud of this achievement - said President Pietro Ciucci -. Gallery St. Demetrius was built with the latest technology to offer users the highest security standards. This is an important milestone for the company. "

Ciucci The President stressed that "the vote" very good "given to this gallery is a recognition of our activities and is due to careful planning that provides the most advanced ventilation systems, SOS, remote control, panels variable message signs and lighting, all arranged and dimensioned in accordance with the Guidelines for Safety in Galleria ANAS transposing, and in some respects exceeds the latest European regulations on safety. User safety is also ensured by constant monitoring of traffic, which uses a surveillance system directly linked to a control room located in the Passo Martino where 24 received 24-hour, real-time images for across the highway. "

"In particular - said the President Anas - in a tunnel between the devices used, there are guide lights that indicate the path to be followed in case of evacuation via escape routes illuminated by tubular bodies with LED light sources. The cameras are able to assess the presence of smoke in the tunnel, thus anticipating the detection of optical cable fire, the presence of stationary vehicles or against traffic or unusual traffic conditions. In case of fire inside the tunnel, as well as modern detection systems and smoke ventilation, were made airtight rooms where oxygen supply is ensured with a range of 36 hours. "

The Chairman Pietro Ciucci concluded that: "The Catania-Syracuse, is the most technologically modern highway in Europe and was built with hi-tech and environmentally friendly. But what I'm even more proud is that Anas has built the motorway Catania-Syracuse in an environmentally and in record time, with a total investment of 723 million (funded in part by the European Commission) demonstrating that even in our South can produce works and modern art. "
Source: http://peppecaridi2.wordpress.com/20...test-euro-tap/

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #1996
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Meanwhile still in Sicily constructions continue to upgrade the sicilian network

The pictures refer to SS640, which connects Agrigento and its temples to the autostrade network (near Caltanissetta). The SS is being upgraded to "superstrada" level

Many thanks to Alicata Dilecta which took the photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicata Dilecta View Post
finalmente ecco alcune foto scattate lo scorso sabato. le immagini riguardano la parte finale del primo lotto,tra canicatti nord e grottarossa,come potete notare i lavori precedono. una prossima volta vedro' di focalizzare la tratta da canicatti verso agrigento,dove i lavori sono sostanzialmente andando avanti. inoltre inseriro' a breve le foto dei lavori del raddoppio ferroviario fiumetorto-cefalu' alla prossima....

[IMG]http://i56.************/ddc2lz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i56.************/242y6n4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i54.************/4qll38.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.************/29nwmmc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.************/2cndv1i.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i56.************/arpfm.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i52.************/w6xlpj.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i53.************/xaxifr.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i56.************/k1cnpl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i54.************/35bw64n.jpg[/IMG]
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #1997
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Yesterday the ministry of transports confirmed all constructions of A12 (Roma-Genova) which is still incomplete between Rosignano and Civitavecchia, will start within 2011

It seems optymistic to me, but he also confirmed that the next piece (Civitavecchia-Tarquinia) will start end of 2010

The route is a foundamental gap of the italian instrastructure and is basically the main "Tyrrhenian" route between Rome, Genova and southern France
Old September 28th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #1998
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

But... There's superstrada almost all the way... Only Civitavecchia-Tarquinia isn't superstrada as far as I know (According to my Italian road atlas again).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #1999
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
But... There's superstrada almost all the way... Only Civitavecchia-Tarquinia isn't superstrada as far as I know (According to my Italian road atlas again).
well, now it will be superstrada wit shoulders. tolled
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #2000
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
There are other non-2x2 sectors and at-grade junctions:

- more than 60 (sixty) side access (from farms, local roads etc.) that don't cross the median (requiring turn-backs at the nearest exits). All of them will have to be rerouted or diverted to feeder/collector/frontage roads.

- level-junction at Montalto Marina: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...05246&t=k&z=18

- level-junction at Pescia Romana: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...20986&t=h&z=16

- 1+1 sector from Garavicchio to La Torba

- very substandard exits like this at Santa Maria di Ripescia: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...10493&t=h&z=17

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways