daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #2381
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I drove there once and will never drive there again. Tunnels are so tight and low that I saw a campervan bump itself in the roof.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #2382
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

There is no alternative to this road north of Como but south of the main alpine watershed (the nearest link to the north is an illogical San Bernardino-Thusis-Julier-Maloja), except a road via Lanzo d'Intelvi which is much longer, higher and slower.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Last edited by Coccodrillo; April 13th, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #2383
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfosten View Post
does somebody have current information concerning a31 "valdastico sud" (and maybe valdastico nord) ???
Valdastico Sud: currently under construction. First parts expected to be opened in 2012, completion in 2013.
Valdastico Nord: unlikely to be ever constructed. If I understand correctly, a recent order by the Italian Constitutional Court gave the Autonomous region of Trentino-Alto Adige effectively a veto over the project. And that region will veto the Valdastico Nord if proposed.
Old April 14th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #2384
Schwarzpunkt

Likes (Received): 0

SS38 Superstrada Merano Bolzano

Hi.
I ‘m a new member. I begin with some pictures of the expressway near my home. The Superstrada Merano-Bolzano (called MeBo). This is the SS 38 between km 196 and 224 (his end).

1. beginning of expressway

3. Work to construction of the tunnel under the city of Merano (link between SS38 MeBo and SS44 della Val Passiria) (info: http://www.verkehr-bewegt.it/it/baus...bergtunnel.asp

6. Exit Merano sud

7. Exit ramp of Lana. the exit never have the sign “end of expressway” (the signage in Italy contains always some error)

8. Access ramp Lana to Bolzano

9.Exit Gargazzone

12. Beautiful view: the Catinaccio – Rosengarten (Dolomiti)

13. The busiest section (Frangarto - 35.475 vehicle/day - source: http://www.provinz.bz.it/astat/download/JB10_K18.pdf Pag 455 - SS38 Frangarto)

14. Tunnel of Castel Firmiano

16. The last junction. Too late signed
Schwarzpunkt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #2385
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3834

Map by Gruber of the italian motorway system bu mid 60'' when the main one was completed (Autostrada del Sole)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruber View Post
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #2386
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

when was Savona - Ventimiglia completed?
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #2387
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzpunkt View Post
Hi.
I ‘m a new member. I begin with some pictures of the expressway near my home. The Superstrada Merano-Bolzano (called MeBo). This is the SS 38 between km 196 and 224 (his end).

Herzlich willkommen - benvenuto

I haven't seen many four lane roads without barriers in the middle, it's strange.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #2388
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Most 1970s superstrade were constructed like that. The current concrete median barriers were only added later, for security reasons. The pictures of the Bolzano - Merano, too, suggest that the concrete median was added after initial construction. Not sure though why they didn't do the first part of the expressway.
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #2389
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Nice pics and landscape. :)
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #2390
Schwarzpunkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
Most 1970s superstrade were constructed like that. The current concrete median barriers were only added later, for security reasons. The pictures of the Bolzano - Merano, too, suggest that the concrete median was added after initial construction. Not sure though why they didn't do the first part of the expressway.
That’s not entirely true.
The first section of superstrada Merano Bolzano was constructed ca. thirty years ago (1980) as Bypass of Merano, without barriers in the middle.
The section Merano sud – Bolzano is (almost) new, it was opened in year 1997 and was projected and constructed with the concrete median barrier (speed limit: 110 km/h).
An example where the barrier has been added after initial construction are some sections with 4 lane of the SS 47 della Valsugana (because of it today it has very narrow lanes)
Old April 15th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #2391
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Some of the superstrade I know better, SS76 and SS77, were built in the '70 directly with concrete barriers in the middle.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #2392
Schwarzpunkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Nice pics and landscape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Herzlich willkommen - benvenuto
Grazie!

Effectively the 4 lane streets without barriers are now few; they are often added after construction, as Pino said.
I only know the SS 354 Latisana – Lignano (arond 15 km). This is not really a expressway, it has some traffic lights.

Last edited by Schwarzpunkt; April 20th, 2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old April 26th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #2393
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

A14 yesterday was a total nightmare. Combining the widening roadworks and the coming back from holidays, I stayed in queue continuously from Pesaro to Imola (120 km, almost 3h).
Old April 26th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #2394
Pfosten

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
when was Savona - Ventimiglia completed?
it was completed 1971
Pfosten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #2395
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
A14 yesterday was a total nightmare. Combining the widening roadworks and the coming back from holidays, I stayed in queue continuously from Pesaro to Imola (120 km, almost 3h).
I feel your pain, 11 hours Pescara-Milan (6 hours normally)

It's becoming clearer and clearer that the third lane for the 155 km between Rimini and PortoS.Elpidio - which at first looked as exagerated for this highway - is quickly becoming a necessity with the growth of traffic on this important highway

It's nice to see however that construction continues quite well. I hope by 2014 all can be finished as planned
Old April 28th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #2396
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
I feel your pain, 11 hours Pescara-Milan (6 hours normally)

It's becoming clearer and clearer that the third lane for the 155 km between Rimini and PortoS.Elpidio - which at first looked as exagerated for this highway - is quickly becoming a necessity with the growth of traffic on this important highway

It's nice to see however that construction continues quite well. I hope by 2014 all can be finished as planned
I read somewhere (can't remember exactly where) that roadworks on the Fano-Senigallia section are proceeding much faster than scheduled and they will be able to open the third lane (northbound only) before this summer...
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #2397
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

There was a press release to that effect on autostrade.it. 2014 is the currently scheduled date of completion, by the way.

The question of course remains to what degree the expanded A14 can cope with peak days like Pasquetta. Delays on days like that are inevitable. But generally, the increase to 2x3 seems appropriate for such an important North-South axis.
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #2398
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I don't think the widening of A14 will solve the problems, because problems aren't on that section. I drove several times a year for 7 years that section, and the problems were always between Imola and Pesaro. Also this time the problem was the huge amount of traffic entering the autostrada from Romagna northbound (that's the reason why jams always stop at Imola), but jams were so thick and long that they mirrored even south.

The only definitive answer would be separating long-range traffic and short-range traffic, but I recognize that is unfeasible. I think that it would be more useful to enlarge to 4 lanes from Pesaro northwards than enlarge the Marche section, which is never too jammed, and when it is, the culprit is in Romagna.
Old April 29th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #2399
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I don't think the widening of A14 will solve the problems, because problems aren't on that section. I drove several times a year for 7 years that section, and the problems were always between Imola and Pesaro. Also this time the problem was the huge amount of traffic entering the autostrada from Romagna northbound (that's the reason why jams always stop at Imola), but jams were so thick and long that they mirrored even south.

The only definitive answer would be separating long-range traffic and short-range traffic, but I recognize that is unfeasible. I think that it would be more useful to enlarge to 4 lanes from Pesaro northwards than enlarge the Marche section, which is never too jammed, and when it is, the culprit is in Romagna.
The further up-grade (widening, bypass-constructions...) of the SS16 and SS9 (like the north-bypass-road in Cesena) might be the right solution for Romagna...
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #2400
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

The reconstruction of A3 in its most difficult sections (the final km from Lamezia to Reggio) are finally looking well underway. The section is mostly made of long tunnels and super-tall bridges (among the tallest in the world) which are all being remade anew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack74 View Post
Ecco le foto relative al macrolotto 5 (da Gioia Tauto a Scilla) scattate lunedì 18 aprile 2011:

Viadotto Petrace carreggiata sud (Km 394)

Imbocco Nord Galleria San Filippo (Km 398), si viaggia a doppio senso solo sulla carreggiata sud

Imbocco Nord Galleria San Filippo (Km 398), si viaggia a doppio senso solo sulla carreggiata sud

Interno canna sud galleria San Filippo

Imbocco Nord galleria Santa Lucia carreggiata sud (Km 402), si viaggia a doppio senso solo in carreggiata sud

Imbocco nord gallerie Barritteri lunghe 2,7 Km al Km 405

Imbocchi sud gallerie artificiali Quartararo

Viadotti Gazziano entranbe le carreggiate tra le gallerie Bagnara (a Nord) e le gallerie Cacciapuiu (a Sud)

Viadotto Sfalassà

Imbocchi nord gallerie San Giovanni a sud dello Sfalassà, la canna sud non è stata ancora aperta

Imbocchi nord nuove gallerie Feliciusu al Km 417

Imbocco nord canna sud nuova galleria Muro

Viadotto Favazzina

Viadotto a nord dello svincolo di Scilla

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways