daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 07:53 PM   #2601
3naranze

Likes (Received): 2

you're right. everybody is angry with Autovie venete concessionaire about all these dangerous mergings (priority to the right), especially truck/van drivers: they don'see 'cause they haven't the car second glass row. again, car drivers don't see 'cause the three waves guard-rail (H3), it's quite high
legenda: piano viabile=road level - dimension in mm
autostrade standard guard rail: H3 road (below)- H4 viaduct

Last edited by 3naranze; July 23rd, 2011 at 07:59 PM.
3naranze no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2011, 08:06 PM   #2602
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

I also traveled on this motorway, today. Going northbound it is possible to see the viaduct's height.

My camera has got some dust on the lenses, visible only when using the zoom, unfortunately it is no more covered by the guarantee

The first viaduct ("Restello"), just after Monte Baldo tunnel:

An enlargement of the previous photo:

Again:

Builders of Le Cave Est/East tunnel faced a diffficult zone, so that the first southern portal had to be abandoned and the tunnel modified (before opening):

The northbound carriageway is slightly more curvy because initially planned as a two lane road, the second carriageway was added to the project only later and built on a more direct alignement. Fadalto - Lago Santa Croce exit was, as far I know, planned to be temporary, that's also why it it can be accessed only to/from the south.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #2603
3naranze

Likes (Received): 2

google streetview now in veneto, even A27

fadalto ovest&est/west&east viaducts seen from fadalto hydro power plant/lago morto

Last edited by 3naranze; July 24th, 2011 at 10:45 PM.
3naranze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #2604
Coccodrillo

A single lane road in Antholz valley leading to Staller Sattel (pass), with departures allowed for 15 minutes every hour: http://maps.google.ch/maps?q=Fadalto...,101.06,,3,2.5

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #2605
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

This is also the largest expansion joint (dilatation) for a viaduct I ever seen anywhere (between 4-5 m wide), also on A27 on first longer viaduct (2,1 km long), just north of Vittorio Veneto Nord exit.

http://maps.google.ch/maps?saddr=A27...12.92,,0,24.25
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #2606
lucaf1

Likes (Received): 92

Municipality of Jesolo (provincia di Venezia)

lucaf1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #2607
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

where in the city is that ridiculous night-time ZTL?

The central government, though ANAS, needs to reign on the mess of ZTLs all over the country, standardize them, create a SINGLE sign, easily readable and pictorial, for them, and propose cumbersome requirements on municipalities wanting to enact them! It has become a party, free for all.

Milano, for instance, have a serious problem: much of its expanded downtown is off-limits to big trucks, which is otherwise fine. The problem is that they use a sign with dwarfed letters and instructions, impossible to read for a driver not familiar with the city. So one would just see the "entrance forbidden" European sign and will not be able, humanely, to stop his car and read the sign!! Unless one parks...

I'm much in favor of severe restrictions of ZTLs. Most of them are enacted not because of traffic but because of parking. Let the comuni, then, enforce parking laws wisely and efficiently, not impose driving bans to avoid illegal parking!
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #2608
Coccodrillo

A service tunnel is under construction parallel to the existing Fréjus road tunnel. The internal diameter is 8 m, enough for two lanes for some, too small for others (including myself). Officially it is only for emergency vehicles, but it could (in my opinion) be opened with a single lane for France-bound lorries, leaving the existing one for France-bound passengers vehicles and for all Italy-bound traffic. This to reduce the danger caused by frontal collisions between two lorries.

http://www.sftrf.fr/doc/general/plaq...alerie2010.pdf

http://www.sftrf.fr/web/guest/galerie

Old July 26th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #2609
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3naranze View Post
A27-A28 Belluno-Conegliano. Southbound.
Belluno turnpike
nice photos!
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:46 AM   #2610
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
A service tunnel is under construction parallel to the existing Fréjus road tunnel. The internal diameter is 8 m, enough for two lanes for some, too small for others (including myself). Officially it is only for emergency vehicles, but it could (in my opinion) be opened with a single lane for France-bound lorries, leaving the existing one for France-bound passengers vehicles and for all Italy-bound traffic. This to reduce the danger caused by frontal collisions between two lorries.
I like how they are widening the tunnel on a coveted project (or almost).

The best use they could do for the new tunnel, IMO, is to operate it in alternate directions, funneling there trucks with flammable cargo.
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #2611
Coccodrillo

I think it's better to separate the two directions of truck traffic. The Mont Blanc disaster was caused by the fire of a truck carrying margarine, not dangerous goods. As passenger vehicles are very few, around 2.000 a day, the result would be a near separation of flows, which also improve ventilation.

Old July 29th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #2612
Coccodrillo

A9 "Autostrada dei Laghi" (or "del San Gottardo"?) is being widened to 3 lanes. Some very short parts have already been opened a week ago or so, together with the two-lane viaduct linking the A9 with the A8 from the right instead than from the left. Works for the fifth lane between this junction and the toll booth have not started.

Old July 29th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #2613
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I love Italian roadworks. Nobody takes a blindest bit of notice of the speed limits. Neither do I to be honest. These road works from a while back between Turin and Milan on the A4 were a real challenge to put your foot down. And what about these string of tunnels after the Mont blanc Tunnel? 80 and 100 signs are for decorational purposes only. Sometime you see the Polizia sitting in a lay-by, but that's more for decoration as well as it seems. If you can't beat them, join them. That's my motto driving in Italy full stop. They even treat a number plate from another region like lose walking wild, so what chance have you got with a Brit, Austrian or Dutch plate.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #2614
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I love Italian roadworks. Nobody takes a blindest bit of notice of the speed limits. Neither do I to be honest. These road works from a while back between Turin and Milan on the A4 were a real challenge to put your foot down. And what about these string of tunnels after the Mont blanc Tunnel? 80 and 100 signs are for decorational purposes only. Sometime you see the Polizia sitting in a lay-by, but that's more for decoration as well as it seems. If you can't beat them, join them. That's my motto driving in Italy full stop. They even treat a number plate from another region like lose walking wild, so what chance have you got with a Brit, Austrian or Dutch plate.
Beware of Tutor

Tutor is the most fair and efficient speed control system I've ever seen in Italy. It has reduced highway fatalities by almost 45%, on average, on the sectors where it has been deployed (2011 = 65% of Italian highway network).

As for fines to foreign vehicles, some road authorities use to contract collectors to collect fines from abroad. But they can't charge you with the points deducted on your license.

If you are fined by a policeman and are driving a foreign, sometimes you have to pay on spot.
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #2615
Napo
Personaggetto User

Likes (Received): 6434

Quote:
You have a vision a little stereotyped of Italy.

SBANNATELI CAZZO
***Innominables***
Napo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #2616
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Tutor is the most fair and efficient speed control system I've ever seen in Italy. It has reduced highway fatalities by almost 45%, on average, on the sectors where it has been deployed (2011 = 65% of Italian highway network).
I don't mind tutor as long as the system isn't abused to enforce low political motorway speed limits like 80 km/h in the Netherlands...
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #2617
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I don't mind tutor as long as the system isn't abused to enforce low political motorway speed limits like 80 km/h in the Netherlands...
Speed limits in Italian highways are usually reasonable. Where there are low limits, they are usually justifiable, like A10 Savona-Genova on eastbound carriageway (80km/h) or the 80-100km/h limit on the urban sector of A14 through Bologna (shoulder running).

The most unreasonable long sector limit I recall on a blink is A24 near L'Aquila (90km/h)
Old July 30th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #2618
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
I love Italian roadworks. Nobody takes a blindest bit of notice of the speed limits. Neither do I to be honest.
they don't do it neither in Germany. especially when they put 60 km/h sign while the works are going on. they do it often here in HR and that's what i call stupid. 80 km/h is ok.
btw, i think that driving on Italian motorways is really pleasant regarding the speeds and culture of driving at all. imo much larger than in Germany for instance. i really rarely see somebody doing 180 or 200 in Italy, or passing in the right lane and similar. it is against all stereotypes, but that's the truth.
Old July 30th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #2619
brick84

A3 Napoli-Reggio Calabria

Some good news about the A3 Naples-Salerno-Reggio Calabria.

[IMG]http://i55.************/14ag0o5.jpg[/IMG]

the works on June 2011:

[IMG]http://i52.************/21eriau.jpg[/IMG]
green= finished
yellow and orange= work in progress or next start
red= to be entrusted

New opening:
Battipaglia interchange:

by pakino

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiagPal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embankment View Post
Lotto Contursi - Sicignano degli Alburni

Prima coppia

[1]
[IMG]http://i56.************/2enn6v9.jpg[/IMG]

[2]
[IMG]http://i54.************/2j61fy9.jpg[/IMG]

Seconda coppia

[3]
[IMG]http://i54.************/24qq2du.jpg[/IMG]

Viadotto (quello anticipato giorni fa da Matteoli)
[4]
[IMG]http://i52.************/1qs7md.jpg[/IMG]

Open in 21/07/2011

official news:

Quote:
From this morning three new sections opened to traffic in Campania, Basilicata and Calabria

Ciucci: "We have respected the time. The new A3 is already a reality and our pride with consecutive 121 km from Salerno and Lagonegro where traffic flows are about 70% of highway traffic"
Thanks to the planned closures were completed last night all the latest techniques and operations work activities which have allowed, on the occasion of this first weekend of summer holidays, the opening to traffic of the new stretch of three lanes in Pontecagnano, the new two-lane carriageway between Padula and Lagonegro in Basilicata and the two-lane section in each direction between San Mango D'Aquino Altilia and, in the low Cosenza.
"We respected the time announced for opening to traffic of the highways are very important - said the President of ANAS Pietro Ciucci - and we are pleased to have reached an important milestone with the start of the big summer departures, providing greater benefits in terms of time and safety, particularly for users of the Basilicata region. How will the new A3 is visible today and is already a reality thanks to consecutive 121 km from Salerno and Lagonegro, or any part of the Campania and Basilicata, where the flows vehicular constitute about 70% of highway traffic. These openings, which allow you to reach a total of 240 km of new highway, are examples of the commitment of ANAS, the construction companies, workers, representatives of local authorities, citizens who, despite various difficulties have continued to use the A3 with a great sense of discipline and civilization. "
The new stretch of motorway between junctions Pontecagnano and Montecorvino Pugliano is about two kilometers long, with two lanes to three lanes plus an emergency and consists of 4 new highway overpasses that connect to the local road network.
The new stretch of motorway between Lagonegro Padula and from km 107.000 to km 121.000, is about 13 km, representing 45% of the 2 nd macrolotto where work is continuing up to the release of Lauria, and consists of 5 new galleries, natural, including which the gallery "Casalbuono" long and 1.8 km tunnel "Cerreta" 700 meters long, 9 as well as viaducts, including the viaduct "Dry" and the viaduct "Calabria".
Finally, the new route between junctions of Altilia Grimaldi and San Mango d'Aquino in Cosenza is down about 8 km long. The new lanes have a width of 11.20 m each. The main works are the natural tunnel "Monaco" in the southbound carriageway 700 meters long and about 475 meters in the northbound carriageway, and six viaducts including the viaduct "Carito" 450 meters long, the flyover "Savuto" long and 342 meters Viaduct "Mentari" of about 153 meters.
"We thank you for your patience - he concluded Ciucci - all users in the month of July have had to endure some discomfort due to the increase in work activities for the construction of the new A3, which led to the opening last June 23 the new release of Battipaglia, July 21 opening of the stretch between Sicignano Contursi Terme Alburni and now these three goals, for a total of 240 new km opened to traffic "
Salerno, 29 July 2011
www.stradeanas.it

Quote:
A3 Salerno-Reggio Calabria: the movement continues without disruption to the south. Traffic heavy but smooth
Date of publication: 30/07/2011

The new stretch is practicable in the Campania dell'A3 60 minutes from Salerno Padula (108 km)
Day by black dot with no particular hardships for the moment on the new A3 motorway Salerno-Reggio Calabria. Traffic heading south is still very intense, but smooth on the whole route from last night and, in particular, the stretch of Campania and Basilicata. The circulation will be enhanced by the blocking of trucks that can travel up to 24 today and tomorrow from 7 am to 24.00. During the morning, the circulation was supported, but without slowing down thanks to new features open in Campania, the height of 2 km and 6 km from Pontecagnano Contursi and Sicignano, in the Basilicata region, 13 km between Padula and Lagonegro and Calabria, 8 km from San Mango d'Aquino and Altilia. At 10 am, traffic volumes were recorded with 2100 vehicles per hour at the height of Salerno and 800 of Lauria, Basilicata to the end of the stroke. In Calabria there are section 1200 vehicles per hour in Cosenza, 1000 Falerna and 800 vehicles per hour in Pizzo Calabro and Villa San Giovanni. The travel time, provided to users through variable message signs, at 10.00 are: 14 minutes-Battipaglia Salerno, Salerno Padula-60 minutes, 70 minutes North-Lagonegro Salerno, Salerno-Sybaris 134 minutes. At Villa San Giovanni, the waiting time to sail to Sicily are regular. Anas remembers the summer exodus management plan that involves the use of 330 men and 85 means to provide assistance to those traveling on the A3 through a filter constant movement in collaboration with the Traffic Police, the identification of pathways alternative, in case of major slowdown, and timely information to users. The evolution of real-time status is available through the site www.stradeanas.it / traffic. Anas recommended for travelers and careful driving, compliance with the rules of the road. Please note that the information to drivers about road and traffic is ensured through the radio and television, Anas www.stradeanas.it site and toll-free at 800,290,092.

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #2620
brick84

A3 - new opening

ALTILITA-FALERNA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by txente View Post
Altilia-Falerna

who is interessed to follow the works, see the italian thread:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1416868

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways