daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #2661
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Don't worry Brick. You're making an effort, and that's what counts. A lot of your Italian counterparts don't speak a word of English, which is a shame because it's always nice to see nice people. But with hands and feet one can go a long way. And I love Italy - the chaos, the noise and the colours. So any communication with an Italian not from NYC is worth it.

Question. In Italy at road works they display signs stating in English: "men at work". They do this in the French speaking part of Belgium as well. Is this the name of the construction company? Or is this one of the most sexist Berlusconi style warnings that there are roadworks ahead?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #2662
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quite certain that it is the latter. Italy has its monopolies, but there is certainly not one company called Men at Work that operates them all.

While it would be English idiom to say "Roadworks ahead", I do not think that "men at work" is inappropriate to post on signs. As a message, it is possibly clearer for people with a limited knowledge of English (and who also lack an understanding of the Italian "lavori in corso") than "roadworks ahead". The sexist side of things should then be a point of lesser importance.
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #2663
Road_UK
BANNED

Perhaps, but I've always found it a bit strange. "Roadworks" on its own would be clear enough.
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #2664
brick84

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Carreggiata is carriageway, corsia is lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Don't worry Brick. You're making an effort, and that's what counts. A lot of your Italian counterparts don't speak a word of English, which is a shame because it's always nice to see nice people. But with hands and feet one can go a long way. And I love Italy - the chaos, the noise and the colours. So any communication with an Italian not from NYC is worth it.

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:55 AM   #2665
Mauz®
Utonto

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Perhaps, but I've always found it a bit strange. "Roadworks" on its own would be clear enough.
I think a lot of Italians wouldn't understand it. Ok, Italians don't need it, because it's also written in Italian ("lavori in corso"), but many Southern-Europeans wouldn't understand the term "roadworks".

BTW... I don't think it's sexist and I don't think they write "men at work" because it's clearer to undesterstand. I think they simply translated literally from Italian language ("uomini al lavoro" or "operai al lavoro").

Just a question: I think that "men working" would be better than "men at work" , wouldn't it?
Mauz® no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #2666
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
"Roadworks" and "men at work" are different ideas. "Roadworks" may mean that there are fences, machinery, reduced number of lanes, but it does not necessarily mean that someone is currently working there. "Men at work" means "beware! Some people are working on the carriageway, so don't run them over!"
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #2667
3naranze

Likes (Received): 2

this works! simply "men at work" is a music suggestion of a keen lover of the '80s working at autostrade communication headquartes...
3naranze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #2668
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauz® View Post
I think a lot of Italians wouldn't understand it. Ok, Italians don't need it, because it's also written in Italian ("lavori in corso"), but many Southern-Europeans wouldn't understand the term "roadworks".
I second that opinion. English has lots of words that are very confusing, except of course for those who have known it for years.

What is "roadworks", a factory of roads? For beginners it may be on the same scale of nonsense as "mind the gap" (beware the expensive clothing brand?).

Keep it simple. Follow Americans, they do it well.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #2669
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

It is better just to put that roadworks triangular sign and the indication of how far ahead does the occurrence happens.
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #2670
JB Colbert
In the Grid.

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:

Question. In Italy at road works they display signs stating in English: "men at work". They do this in the French speaking part of Belgium as well. Is this the name of the construction company? Or is this one of the most sexist Berlusconi style warnings that there are roadworks ahead?
Considerati mandato a quel paese.
Traducitelo da solo.
JB Colbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #2671
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

send to that country?

but for what reason? Because he insulted our intouchable, great and holy Leader?
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvio_Berlusconi
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #2672
JB Colbert
In the Grid.

Likes (Received): 18

Veramente la presa per i fondelli è per tutti.
JB Colbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #2673
Mauz®
Utonto

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
It is better just to put that roadworks triangular sign and the indication of how far ahead does the occurrence happens.
The triangular sign is always there... The "men at work" signal it's just in addiction to that!

Personally, I think it's not stupid! People reading the statement "lavori in corso" ("roadworks ahead") could expect to find just a bad-paved, narrow and difficult stretch of road with site-vehicles near the carriageway.
The statement "presenza operai" ("men at work") makes it clear that above all this there are also workers having a family waiting for them at home. And to underestimate the risk of speeding in such a stretch of road would be dangerous not only for the driver (and for the other drivers in the surroundings), but also for the workers.

Last edited by Mauz®; August 9th, 2011 at 04:59 PM.
Mauz® no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #2674
italystf

Yes, he said that Italians are ignorant, make noise, etc...
Unfortunately there are still too many stereothypes, one go to a country, meet some people behaving in a certain way and thinks that everybody is so.
I don't think in other European countries everybody speak English, expecially the less young, and is very polite.
Germans are known for being respectful towards rules and laws, but if you see some of them drunk after a night on the Italian riviera you would change idea.
Old August 9th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #2675
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Germans are known for being respectful towards rules and laws, but if you see some of them drunk after a night on the Italian riviera you would change idea.
They do abroad what they can't do at Home. Not that we are so much different, if you see italians when they go to Amsterdam.....
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #2676
italystf

That's true, people from all over Europe, not just Italians come to Netherland to smoke grass and go to brothels since they aren't allowed to do this in their homecountries.
But behaviors like became violent after intoxicated, vandalize public or private propertries, make loud noisies at nightime, dispose trash along the streets are illegal in Italy as in Central Europe and in every part of the world. If they feel autorized to do those things is because they think that Italians are rude and would tolerate it.
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #2677
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

"Men at Work" is an American idiom--"Roadworks Ahead" sounds positively strange to me.

That said, why it's popping up on construction warning signs in Italy is beyond me.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #2678
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Yes, he said that Italians are ignorant, make noise, etc...
Who said that? I certainly didn't. I just said I love Italy and the chaos, the noise and the colours. That's what I love about Italy.
Old August 9th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #2679
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
"Roadworks" and "men at work" are different ideas. "Roadworks" may mean that there are fences, machinery, reduced number of lanes, but it does not necessarily mean that someone is currently working there. "Men at work" means "beware! Some people are working on the carriageway, so don't run them over!"
I like the Swedish way. A picture of a proud child saying: Min papi arbited her - or something like that. Bad Swedish from my side, but you get the idea and it's understandable.
Old August 10th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #2680
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3845

Quote:
Who said that? I certainly didn't. I just said I love Italy and the chaos, the noise and the colours. That's what I love about Italy.
I guess a small hilltown in Tuscany is so much noisier and chaotic than NYC or any large american city

You are really talking about stereotypes, probably based on some sopranos-style kind of television junk about italo-americans (which are not italians, but southern italians turned americans)
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways