daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #2701
JB Colbert
In the Grid.

Likes (Received): 18

Nothing compared with the Naples subsoil: the surface of this cavities is 900.000 square meter, excavated during the centuries to extract the tuff for the construction of building or aqueduct

In the case of Bologna you are talking about some canal that were closed in the last years, in the case of Naples we are talking abuot cavities that are still there.

/OT
JB Colbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #2702
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Canals closed? There are two full rivers passing underneath Bologna...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #2703
JB Colbert
In the Grid.

Two=2
Old August 12th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #2704
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

One is the Aposa river. The other, my bad, is not a river but a canal, the Canale di Reno.

EDIT: In any case, this is not a contest for the biggest d*ck. If you build a road you MUST make sure that in no circumstances, no matter how difficult, a 10-meter-wide hole opens in it, otherwise it's bad planning, bad construction, bad maintenance. End of story.

Last edited by g.spinoza; August 12th, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old August 12th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #2705
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I couldn't agree more. I've driven in Naples, and when I drive there I want to pay attention to that wild-west trafficr - I'm pretty occupied whilst driving. Last thing I want and expect is to be sucked into a big hole when I'm doing all that.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #2706
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Now that I remember, the leaning towers of Bologna are leaning because just beneath them the Aposa river flows... but at least they are still standing since 1000 years...
Old August 12th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #2707
JB Colbert
In the Grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
One is the Aposa river. The other, my bad, is not a river but a canal, the Canale di Reno.

EDIT: In any case, this is not a contest for the biggest d*ck. If you build a road you MUST make sure that in no circumstances, no matter how difficult, a 10-meter-wide hole opens in it, otherwise it's bad planning, bad construction, bad maintenance. End of story.
Naples is not my city and I don't suffer of small d*ck syndrome, do you suffer?
It was only for information.

Bad planning?
Probably nobody knows exactly how many km of tunnel or how many cube meter of cavities there are below the city.

Often are road that were built a lot of decades ago, when no kind of diagnostic tools were available.

As we say in Italy, with mouth everybody are capable!

I don't like the people that spit on their country every day.

Buon ferragosto!
Old August 12th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #2708
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Colbert View Post
Bad planning?
Probably nobody knows exactly how many km of tunnel or how many cube meter of cavities there are below the city.
So, you build a road not knowing what it is underneath. If this is not bad planning...

Quote:
As we say in Italy, with mouth everybody are capable!

I don't like the people that spit on their country every day.

Buon ferragosto!
I'm not spitting over my country. I just said that in Bologna these things do not happen, and Bologna is still in Italy.
I'm not even spitting over Naples, I lived there some time but obviously it has many big problems. One of these is bad road infrastructure. When I was there a co-worker of mine used to say that all the time, and he was from Reggio Calabria, not Varese.

I don't think I did something so despicable or disagreeable when I said that a 10-meter hole must not open in a road, never.
Old August 12th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #2709
JB Colbert
In the Grid.

Ciao!
Old August 12th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #2710
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Bad planning can happan everywhere. Look what happened 7 years ago in my region, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, where "amenities" like mafia, camorra and 'ndrangheta dont't exist.
They build a new bridge along the SS552 near the village of Tramonti di Sopra to replace the 1400s stone bridge. Before the opening to traffic they tested it loading 3 trucks full of gravel. That was the result:
http://www.vajont.info/ponteTramontina/indice.html
2 driver managed to escape before it happened, the other was seriously injured.
The new bridge was completed 5 years after.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #2711
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Amazing.
By the way, by mentioning Naples and its roads I never mentioned camorra and such. I was not even thinking of that.
Old August 12th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #2712
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Although not all examples of bad planning are due mafia and camorra, we can't deny that orgainized crime is often involved in public\private costructions that are often done with poor safety standards and in wrong places. Many buildings in L'Aquila, included some very recents, that collapsed with the 2009 earthquake that killed over 300 people, had been built with concrete mixed with beach sand, that is illegal.
Off course, if a disaster involves an old building or infrastructure, probably nobody is guilty because advanced engineering studies didn't exist at that time, nor construction law were very stricts.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #2713
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Bad planning can happan everywhere. Look what happened 7 years ago in my region, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, where "amenities" like mafia, camorra and 'ndrangheta dont't exist.
They build a new bridge along the SS552 near the village of Tramonti di Sopra to replace the 1400s stone bridge. Before the opening to traffic they tested it loading 3 trucks full of gravel. That was the result:
http://www.vajont.info/ponteTramontina/indice.html
2 driver managed to escape before it happened, the other was seriously injured.
The new bridge was completed 5 years after.
Wow....

I know they are totally unrelated, but that creek/river (depending on the time of the year flow varies a lot) is not that far from the site of the worst ever engineering disaster in Italian history: a massive landslide on the Vajont Dam reservoir that created a freak tsunami more than 80m high that washed 3 villages away and killed more than 2.000 people (the dam, with its structural components intact, is still standing, and can be seen from google maps on the link I provided).

The disaster occurred close to the northern terminus of A27.

Last edited by Suburbanist; August 12th, 2011 at 07:06 PM.
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #2714
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

In fact, from the engineering point of view, the dam is a success: still standing, notwithstanding the massive forces generated by the tsunami which, by the way, was far higher than 80m. I remember a seminar course I attended where the lecturer said it was the second higher tsunami ever recorded at 250m. The record holder is a tsunami in 1958 in Alaska, more than 500m high.
Last curiosity about Vajont: the mountain that slided into the lake and generated the wave was called Monte Toc, which in Friulian language means Rotten Mountain
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:24 AM   #2715
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3841

construction of the new SS640 (superstrada level) in Sicily: it will connect Agrigento to Caltanissetta and the sicilian autostrade system

So far construction has started on only half the route, the second half shall start within the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gualtiero View Post
Le foto sono ordinate secondo la direzione Caltanisetta -----> Agrigento
scattate nei giorni 20 e 21 agosto.
Se vi interessano i formati originali delle foto domandate. Grazie.

Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #2716
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Nice for that new connection toward south part of island, but it looks like they again exaggerate with long viaducts - Sicilian speciality maybe?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #2717
JB Colbert
In the Grid.

Among the main benefits of this type of structure may include: the lightness (high strength / weight ratio), the slenderness (high ratio L / h), the lack of sensitivity to differential settlement of foundations, ease of construction of bridge decks with continuous spans of different lengths and curvatures imposed by the roadway, resulting in the durability of the possibility to renew the protective layer against corrosion and replace structural elements in order to increase the bearing capacity.
The viaducts preserve the soil and reduce the traffic noise.
Old August 24th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #2718
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

They wanted to make a highway without bridge, but than the construction companies made the politicians an offer they could not refuse

Just jocking...it appears here is at least more reasonable to make them: there seems to be many pieces without bridges and wherever there are it seems to me that it makes sense to cross a valley with a bridge instead of a steap going down and a steap coming up.
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #2719
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

let me post another reportage from the never-ending but enormous construction of the new A3 down in south Italy. Many thanks to Embankment

The pictures refer to the Padula-Lauria nord piece which was partially opened this year (even thought construction is not yet completed as you can see from the pictures).

However A3 - after years of suffering - is starting to take its final shape. More than half of it has now been completed

[QUOTE=Embankment;82997008]In aggiunta alle ottime foto di abarth del tratto Padula - Lauria Nord, metto anche le mie, fatte tra Padula e Lagonegro Nord.
Sono state scattare 2/3 giorni fa, sia verso sud sia verso nord.
Sono tante quindi, forse, un pò ripetitive.

Dir. Sud _____________________________________________

Old August 24th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #2720
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

I'm a bit lazy to re-write it, so I'll just quote. Sequence of photos of Passo dello Stelvio, the highest road mountain pass in Italy. I drove from Prato allo Stelvio to Bormio and all pics are in that order.

There are 87 signaled hairpins (but "tornante", literally "turner", is a much better word to describe them) on that route and many other merely "tight" curves.

Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Ho percorso la trata piu settentrionale della SS 38, cioè, il Passo dello Stelvio stesso. Belissima giornata. Peccato che le edilizie degli alberghi, ristoranti ed altri negozi sul passo siano brutte, vecchie.

SS 38, Prato allo Stelvio.

vicino a Gomagoi, l'ultima frazione prima della trata in montagna.

Trafoi, già nella tratta d chiusura invernale.

da Pratto allo Stelvio a Bormio ci sono 48+39 tornanti segnalti, più 40-50 (circa) "quasi tornanti" non numerati

Casa cantoniera in ristruturazione (x diventare un albergo?)

il versante sud-ovest

In Lombardia, la pavimentazione é meglio, e la protezione laterale peggio d quelle in Trentino.

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways