daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #3201
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Superstrada Cassino-Sora-Avezzano SS509/SS690

Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #3202
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

i drove that road few years ago (in the middle of summer) and wondered how it looks like in winter
Old February 7th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #3203
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Weird language order: French on the 2nd row (France around 600km) and German on the last (Austrian border close).
Now we should also add Slovenian, Croatian, Czech and Hungarian but probably this sign was made when the Iron Curtain still existed and there weren't many people from those close countries like today.
There was some traffic from Yugoslavia, and there were (and still are) some signs in Serbo-Croatian (but not Slovenian).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #3204
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
There was some traffic from Yugoslavia, and there were (and still are) some signs in Serbo-Croatian (but not Slovenian).
This is at Gonars Nord on A4. That sign tell not to buy stuff from illegal salesmen.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #3205
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

somebody got an explanation why there was f** 7°C near Gemona?? (both directions) basically Gorizia - Udine was around 2°, and the climat changes in Pontebba from mediteranean to alpine.

image hosted on flickr

map1 par d.hofburg, sur Flickr
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #3206
hofburg
middle lane hogger

4 lanes viaduct and 3 lanes tunnel on A23:

image hosted on flickr

07.02.2012 010 par d.hofburg, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

07.02.2012 009 par d.hofburg, sur Flickr
Old February 8th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #3207
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
somebody got an explanation why there was f** 7°C near Gemona?? (both directions) basically Gorizia - Udine was around 2°, and the climat changes in Pontebba from mediteranean to alpine.

image hosted on flickr

map1 par d.hofburg, sur Flickr
You got those figures by Internet forecasts or with your car's thermometer? Maybe Gemona is warmer because it's in a valley between mountains, but I think it's weird that they had 7°C while it was about 2-3°C south of Udine only a bit higher than the sealevel.
Old February 8th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #3208
hofburg
middle lane hogger

car's thermometer. it's weird indeed, and even weirder I got the same thing when I was driving back, in the evening was 6°C near Gemona again. is maybe some industry near the motorway?
Old February 8th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #3209
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
car's thermometer. it's weird indeed, and even weirder I got the same thing when I was driving back, in the evening was 6°C near Gemona again. is maybe some industry near the motorway?
There is a steel plant in Osoppo, near Gemona; you can see the smoke from the motorway (on the left travelling northbound). But I don't think that it would interfere too much with climate, more likely hills protect this area from cold winds that come from the east (the famous Trieste's bora).
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #3210
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17499

Quote:
There is a steel plant in Osoppo, near Gemona; you can see the smoke from the motorway (on the left travelling northbound). But I don't think that it would interfere too much with climate, more likely hills protect this area from cold winds that come from the east (the famous Trieste's bora).
This kind of plant can increase temperature for about 1-2 degrees I think.
Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #3211
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3841

Quote:
Do you remember if those pics were taken northbound or southbound? In the first case is Fella rest area, in the second Campiolo rest area.

Weird language order: French on the 2nd row (France around 600km) and German on the last (Austrian border close).
Now we should also add Slovenian, Croatian, Czech and Hungarian but probably this sign was made when the Iron Curtain still existed and there weren't many people from those close countries like today.
French, English, German and Italian are almost anywhere in Italy when you have to put a multi-language panel bc these are the most important languages in the EU, regardless how far the small eastern european countries are

Slovenian, Croatian, Czeck and Hungarian are fairly irrelevant in this sense, as most people are supposed to know some basics of at least one of the 4 languages above if they are travelling in Italy.

Probably what is missing is Spanish...
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #3212
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
Probably what is missing is Spanish...
And Friulan (although almost all of them understand Italian).

Last edited by Verso; February 9th, 2012 at 01:45 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #3213
Federicoft

Likes (Received): 4380

Understand? Virtually all of them are native speakers of Italian as well.
Last thing we need is a regional language mumbo-jumbo.
Federicoft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #3214
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
And Friulan (although almost all of them understand Italian).
I'm from Friuli but I'm against those bilingual signs they put everywhere in Friuli. They are very annoying to tourists (expecially foreigners). Reading a directional sign with 5-6 town names while driving on an unknown road may be difficult and confusing, imagine if those town are written also in the local language. By the way, Friulan isn't the same all over the region. Signs are written everywhere in Udine's Friulan, so local names are often differents from those really used for example in Pordenone, Tolmezzo or Latisana. Nobody needs those signs, even Friulans feel more comfortable reading Italian names. Changing all signs was IMHO a huge waste of money. This is in contrast with the process of globalization and EU integration that is happening nowadays.

autostrade - tangjenziàl

In some villages of the provinces of UD, GO and TS there is the I-SLO bilinguism:

Last edited by italystf; February 9th, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old February 9th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #3215
bogdymol
bogdymod

I hate when they put more than one language on a sign, but the town's name is the same in both languages, so they write it twice
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #3216
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I hate when they put more than one language on a sign, but the town's name is the same in both languages, so they write it twice
It depens on the situation. There are areas with 2 official languages such Italian and German in Alto Adige, Italian and French in Aoste Valley, Italian and Slovenian in some Trieste suburbs, French and German in Alsace, French and Dutch in Bruxelles, English and French in some parts of Canada, ecc... In those place is right use bilingual signs since both languages are spoken there by different people.
But local languages are a different thing. They aren't used anymore as primary language by anyone; everybody known the national language and they aren't usually spoken for example at school or at official ceremonies. In Italy Friulan, Sardinian, Occitan (spoken in some parts of Piedmont) and Ladin (Trentino - Alto Adige) are officially recognized as minority languages, so bilingual signs are allowed. But practically they're like other Italian dialect such Venetian, Lombardian, Tuscanian, Roman, Sicilian, ecc... spoken in families but everybody from those regions also knows Italian and speak it in more formal occasions. So, I think such kind of bilingual signs are useless and only confusing.
Old February 9th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #3217
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Preservation of our heritage. It's important to protect those minority languages. To be in UE doesn't mean to lose own identity and diversity
Old February 9th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #3218
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post
Preservation of our heritage. It's important to protect those minority languages. To be in UE doesn't mean to lose own identity and diversity
Making road signs confusing doesn't seem the right way to preserve your heritage...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #3219
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Making road signs confusing doesn't seem the right way to preserve your heritage...
Confusing is not the roadsign in two languages, rather is confusing the roadsign in itself
Old February 9th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #3220
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84
There are more serious ways to protect our heritage. If you really want bilingual signs, at least limit bilinguism to entry/exit town signs and street name signs but avoid bilingual directional signs that need to be easily readable by anyone while driving fast.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways