daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #3341
geor

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
There is an accident sign (red), then: "it is advised to take alternative routes"
I think this would be more acceptable for many tourists, especially when VMS is before the end of queue. As for Italians, they can write text message below.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
geor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #3342
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

geor, Italy is one of the few countries that seldom uses English text in VMS. In Germany they only use German, in France don't even let me start, their whole world is in French. In Spain they use Spanish, and, think about that, sometimes Catalan, how useful is that.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #3343
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

I also saw German on the A4 between Bergamo and Milan to say that there were 12 kilometers of queue northbound before the Gotthard tunnel last summer. Not italian and german...only german.
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #3344
geor

AFAIK MW Company A.Venete in Palmanova works on new project with Croatian colleagues. That includes different ways of distributing important traffic info via VMS portals on MW and exchanging info between them (Cro A1,A6,A7-It A4,A23,A28).

http://www.quiautovie.autovie.it/CMS..._magazine.aspx
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #3345
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by geor
AFAIK MW Company A.Venete in Palmanova works on new project with Croatian colleagues. That includes different ways of distributing important traffic info via VMS portals on MW and exchanging info between them (Cro A1,A6,A7-It A4,A23,A28).
Ignoring there is another country in between.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #3346
geor

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Ignoring there is another country in between.
No, Italy and Slovenia have already done theirs project, as well as Croatia and Slovenia
Old February 28th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #3347
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
True, but for no reason you drive more than half GRA at once.
Yes, that's what I meant.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #3348
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
There is an accident sign (red), then: "it is advised to take alternative routes"
it looks fake
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #3349
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
geor, Italy is one of the few countries that seldom uses English text in VMS. In Germany they only use German, in France don't even let me start, their whole world is in French. In Spain they use Spanish, and, think about that, sometimes Catalan, how useful is that.
I strongly have to disagree there. The French are brilliant in the usage of other languages depending where you are. Around Calais all information is displayed in English as well, and near the German border they use a lot of German. And near the Mont Blanc and Frejus tunnels, you will find a lot of Italian displayed. And on 107.7 FM traffic is updated in English on a lot of routes.

Routes to and from the sun have displays in French, English and German.

Some information and warning signs are displayed in other languages as well, and around the Lille area you even find information displayed in Dutch. Road side facilities are in English as well.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #3350
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I don't know what to say, around Perpignan there are no info in Spanish, near Nice there is nothing in Italian, and the same before the Frejus tunnel.
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:17 AM   #3351
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

I share Spinoza's experience. Surely you will find a couple of signs in other languages on French motorways, but they are relatively far in between (though I have to admit that I have never been around Calais). The most prominent signs are signs that tell trucks to use low gear or that they cannot drive through Lille.

Italy does indeed go an extra mile by using English as a second language on all VMS that indicate road works and sometimes even as the only language when it comes to directing tourist traffic onto alternative routes.

107.7 FM in France gives updates in the English language, but so does Isoradio in Italy.
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:42 AM   #3352
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Do you know if there are some German radio stations broadcasting traffic info also in English? When I lived there I used to listen to Antenne Bayern but they only broadcast in German, which was quite difficult for me to understand, especially in the first months.
Old March 1st, 2012, 11:15 AM   #3353
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

I'm not aware of any German mainstream radio station broadcasting traffic information in other languages than German. The difference between Germany and France/Italy is of course that Germany's traffic information comes from radio stations with a general audience, not from a station like 107.7 or Isoradio that focus on the motorist. For non-motorists listening to the German radio, it is already boring enough to have traffic updates as long and regular as German radio stations do, let alone to also listen to the same repeated in English.

What I don't know, however, is whether any of the digital traffic information channels that are around these days offer traffic information in languages other than German. And I don't know whether the radio stations operated by the US and British forces in some parts of Germany have traffic information.
Old March 1st, 2012, 01:51 PM   #3354
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza
Do you know if there are some German radio stations broadcasting traffic info also in English? When I lived there I used to listen to Antenne Bayern but they only broadcast in German, which was quite difficult for me to understand, especially in the first months.
While around Garda you have several radio stations broadcasting in German. Slovenia is good at English VMS too...
Old March 1st, 2012, 06:29 PM   #3355
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

in HR during the summer period there are often traffic information in english, german and italian on radio
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:38 PM   #3356
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Are Slovenian and Croatian mutually intelligible?
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:54 PM   #3357
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

basicly yes. people from northwestern Croatia shouldn't have many problems with understanding a Slovenian speaking slowly. but somebody from southern Croatia will not understand Slovenian that easy if he never had a touch with them.
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:12 PM   #3358
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Are Slovenian and Croatian mutually intelligible?
From a purely theoretical point of view, I doubt (except with northern- and western Croatian dialects (including Zagreb)). I think it has more to do with our proximity and having been in the same country, with (Serbo-)Croatian as the main language. We also travel a lot to each other's countries. For example, I can't speak other Slavic languages and I don't understand them very well either. Sorry for OT.
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:33 PM   #3359
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso

From a purely theoretical point of view, I doubt (except with northern- and western Croatian dialects (including Zagreb)). I think it has more to do with our proximity and having been in the same country, with (Serbo-)Croatian as the main language. We also travel a lot to each other's countries. For example, I can't speak other Slavic languages and I don't understand them very well either. Sorry for OT.
Or maybe some words are similar and other not but understanding some of them you can have a clue of the sentence. Like Italian and Spanish.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:36 PM   #3360
Verso
Islander

Yes, it's probably like Italian and Spanish. But not like Czech and Slovak, they're much more similar.

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways