daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #3501
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpvNet
I have a question:
Stelvio Pass- Cortina D'Ampezzo - Kranjska Gora ( Slovenia ).
Which route is the best? Again: scenic/time. Any tips/advices would help.
Ss 38 from Stelvio pass to Merano, expressway to Bolzano, ss241 trough Costalunga pass (roads through a canyon, one of the most scenic roads I ever been), ss48 to Cortina through Pordoi pass (again, very beautiful), ss51, ss51bis, ss52 to Tolmezzo through Mauria pass, A23 (or ss13) to Tarvisio, then follow signs to Ratece/Kranjska gora.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #3502
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by F81 View Post
Lot II.5 is not necessary at all, as there is already a 4-lane Alba bypass, which will be refurbished together with lot II.6 works. Once lot II.6 will be open to traffic, there will be a complete 4-lane route between A6 (Marene) and A21 (Asti).
Maybe I then misunderstood the division into lots, as I was under the impression that Lot II.5 was not only the Alba bypass (i.e. upgrade of the present Statale), but also the very connector between Lot II.6 and the current Alba bypass. So if Lot II.6 runs to the Alba bypass, you can ignore what I said.
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #3503
IpvNet

Likes (Received): 3

Yup! Great!
Grazie
Anything in particular to see along this route?
IpvNet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #3504
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpvNet View Post
Yup! Great!
Grazie
Anything in particular to see along this route?
East of Bolzano you can have a stop near the nice Carezza lake (Karersee), then there is the town of Canazei (very nice, IMHO). From Pordoi pass you can take the cable car to Sass Pordoi, where there is a bar and restaurant at 2950 meters above sea level, the landscape from above is very beautiful if the sky is clean but the ticket is quite expensive, around 10€ if I remember well. You can see snow even in the middle of the summer at this elevation.
Off course Cortina deserves a visit, but is an exclusive destination with luxury shops and hotels and a lot of tourist. If you want a quite spot for enjoy the mountain environment, stay away from here. Also Tarvisio is a nice place and turistically developed. Just before the Slovenian border you can take a little detour to Fusine lakes. You can considering also a short trip to Austria. I've heard the road through Wurzenpass (A-SLO) is very bad, but I never drove there. Don't forget vignettes if you take motorways in Slovenia and Austria. Stelvio pass won't open before the last week of May and since this year will be tolled.
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #3505
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Everything!
I agree completely with italystf's route.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:18 AM   #3506
IpvNet

Stelvio Pass Toll? How much ?
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:23 AM   #3507
IpvNet

nah, not yet. It'll be delivered from Austria in july-august.
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:48 AM   #3508
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpvNet View Post
Stelvio Pass Toll? How much ?
Sorri, it was just a proposal. They won't introduce it before 2013.
Old April 21st, 2012, 01:08 AM   #3509
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

I see you are doing a full mountain pass tour That is very cool. I did something akin last summer.

Just to go back a bit in the thread, there is a 3rd option between Berninapaß and Passo Stelvio. I just put it here: http://g.co/maps/p2p5d

Going there, you will travel through the Passo Gavia, which is, in my opinion, the most daunting Alpine paved, opened for traffic pass in Italy. Not the highest, but one of the most "remote", light trafficked with many challenging (but not dangerous - daytime and low speed) features.

Take a look in these street views:
http://g.co/maps/7jnec
http://g.co/maps/8nanx
http://g.co/maps/ra3ps
http://g.co/maps/pympz
Old April 21st, 2012, 01:28 AM   #3510
IpvNet

Aye! 2 1/2 weeks : 6 cars 12 countries . It'll be lovely.
We've done this few years ago and now we have the chance to do it again.
Gavia Pass - noted . Danke Schon

Last edited by IpvNet; April 21st, 2012 at 01:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old April 21st, 2012, 06:38 AM   #3511
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
First pictures of NCI, the new East bypass of Rome:
http://roma.repubblica.it/cronaca/20...ia-33642491/1/
It's the expressway we talked about recently?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #3512
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11131

Some pics of Autostrada Pedemontana u/c

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Alex View Post
Sembra che il prossimo fine settimana sia quello buono per la posa del cavalcavia di Pedemontana sulla A8 a Cassano Magnago... simbolo della autostrada che arriverà

Consiglio questa galleria fotografica... alcune foto sono di ieri http://www3.varesenews.it/gallerie/?tag=699

Old April 24th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #3513
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Interesting, there are actually real tunnels, not just cut&covers as it would be expected in such plains like around Milano.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #3514
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

No, they're cut and cover tunnels, but their shape is like natural tunnels, with three prefabricated elements to make the arc.

I wondered why they made 'em that way and a possible answer could be that with an arc shape tunnel the structure is more resistant so they could use less concrete to build the frame (even because the shape itself requires less as three linear beams have a biggest total lenght)
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #3515
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

EDIT

You were reffering to these ones

I don't know why they didn't use cut and cover technique. Probably they have underpass a urban area or something like that

I'm gonna check
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #3516
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
I don't know why they didn't use cut and cover technique. Probably they have underpass a urban area or something like that

I'm gonna check
Checked

It's this strech running under those houses

[IMG]http://i40.************/330xk7s.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.pedemontana.com/progetto_...0_FI_002_A.pdf
Old April 24th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #3517
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I have few practical questions:

We are driving down from Basel to Genoa in two weeks and then following the coast to Marseille. Any idea how much it costs to use autostrada from the Swiss border to Genoa? We haven't been further in Italy than lake Como with a car yet...

Also is it likely that coastal road from Genoa to Nice will be very crowded this time of the year? Not that we are in a hurry - two days to cover this distance Any particularly nice roads in this part of Italy?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #3518
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns

We are driving down from Basel to Genoa in two weeks and then following the coast to Marseille. Any idea how much it costs to use autostrada from the Swiss border to Genoa? We haven't been further in Italy than lake Como with a car yet...

Also is it likely that coastal road from Genoa to Nice will be very crowded this time of the year? Not that we are in a hurry - two days to cover this distance Any particularly nice roads in this part of Italy?
If you drive a car/moto:
Como - Genoa 14,10
Genoa - Ventimiglia 15,80

The A10 Genoa - French border is very beautiful, as well the parallel SP1 "Via Aurelia".
I don't think motorways are very crowded in this period except in the urban areas of Milan and Genoa, better avoid rush hour.
I don't reccomend drivings along the Ligurian coast entirely on the SP1, is very slow and you will cross all towns.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #3519
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post

Whole A10 is a very interesting highway, especially west of Savona: many tunnels, and many ocean views.

If you want some good oceanside drive on the old parallel road, do so between Savona and Pietra Ligure.
Old April 25th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #3520
brick84

A3 Salerno-Reggio Calabria: Anas opened new interchange of 'Lauria Nord'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINACRIA FELIX View Post
Salerno-Reggio Calabria, Anas: aperto al traffico il nuovo svincolo di Lauria Nord. Inviata e-mail informativa alla Gabanelli!

[IMG]http://i39.************/3sn5g.jpg[/IMG]

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways