daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #4001
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

A Fisker Karma too
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #4002
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3847

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Isn't A4 between Milano and Novara planned for 2x4? Or did I misunderstood something?

it will be 2x4 only between Milan and Marcallo Mesero, or the exit to and from Malpensa. Ticino river is just west of Marcallo Mesero, so it will be 3x3

As I said thought hopefully the bridge will be 3+1 so that it will be allowed in the future to widen also this piece 2x4. A widening that today is totally unnecesary
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #4003
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post
A Fisker Karma too
since Justin Bieber drives it, it is double tolled
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #4004
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
We were not so intelligent. Except a few cases, every time we build an extralane we have to remake all bridges or most of them. There are exceptions: on A14 in the newer stretches south of Ancona it was possible to enlarge without touching overpassing bridges and so on.

Anyway this bridge will surely be built 3+1 so in the future if necessary it could be made into 4+4 without emergency lane, which is fine for a bridge

For now the project is to add the emergency lane on the entire Torino-Milano with some upgrades in terms of size, quality of the road etc whil the Marcallo-Mesero- Milano will be 2x4.

There is - as of today - not much need for a 2x4 also accross Ticino, but we all now these things change
The A22 between Modena and Verona is already ready for 2x3 since it has a very wide grass median.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Stelvio Pass is the only way to get from Northern Lombardy to Alto Adige, and it's open only during summers. I think it's enough for Valtellina to feel isolated. Tolls will only make this isolation worse
They should dig a tunnel under Stelvio pass to keep this important connection open year-round, especially after the SS38 Colico - Sondrio - Bormio was upgraded to a 2 lane expressway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
As for electric cars: that is a joke. There is hardly any electric car whose range can travel over the Passo Stelvio safely from Bromio to Prato allo Stelvio. None.
This law isn't made just for 2012. Hopefully electric cars will became more and more reliable and widespread in the next decades.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #4005
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
I think you mistranslated. Motorbikes will be tolled: cyclists will climb the Pass for free.
Oh, I read too fast :p
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #4006
Suburbanist
on the road

Can a Tesla climb up all the harpins ("tornanti")?

I measured the fuel consumption on several passes' ascents and it is usually like 25-30 liters/100km instead of the usual 5-7.
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #4007
Suburbanist
on the road

As for the Stelvio: a medium altitude tunnel (entrances at 1600m approximately) and 1+1 expressway approaches would go a LONG way making the connections to the area better.

Especially with the crawling but ongoing projects on SS38.
Old July 31st, 2012, 02:53 AM   #4008
Perennial Quest

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post
A Fisker Karma too
But Karma is only a hybrid.

Quote:
Can a Tesla climb up all the harpins ("tornanti")?

I measured the fuel consumption on several passes' ascents and it is usually like 25-30 liters/100km instead of the usual 5-7.
Sure, and it's REALLY funny to drive on mountain roads too. The amazing thing is that you can regenerate some energy while descending to the other side.

End of O.T.
Old July 31st, 2012, 03:38 AM   #4009
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perennial Quest View Post
But Karma is only a hybrid.
It's series-hybrid car, not parallel hybrid. This system has electric traction only, combustion engine turns only the generator to recharge battery in case of long drive.
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 12:33 PM   #4010
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
http://www.giornaledibrescia.it/le-n...sadetailholder

Green light for Stelvio Pass toll. Starting from next 1st January cars on the Pass will be tolled 10 euro. Electric cars will NOT be tolled.
A longer article about this news:
http://viaggi.repubblica.it/articolo...al-2013/226041

Main issues:
- Cars and motorbikes will pay 10 euro, heavy vehicles 30 euro. Electric cars and cyclists free.
- No toll booth, a vignette will be introduced. There also is a seasonal vignette for 60 euro.
- All money will be used for maintenance and update of the road, environmental works, and PT improvement.
- Toll introduction will likely not lower traffic. In similar tolled alpine roads (Grossglockner, Tre cime di Lavaredo, Rombo) traffic is increasing steadily.
- Most inhabitants prefer a road closure in specific times of the day, instead of tolls.

Last edited by g.spinoza; July 31st, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:34 PM   #4011
Suburbanist
on the road

This article says money will be used to finance roadworks as well.

The idea of closing mountain passes to vehicles is unacceptable.
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:45 PM   #4012
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
This article says money will be used to finance roadworks as well.
I already said that.

Quote:
The idea of closing mountain passes to vehicles is unacceptable.

Many other passes are closed at certain times of the day.
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:54 PM   #4013
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Many other passes are closed at certain times of the day.
That is usually the case when there is avalanche risk, which closes the passes in mid-afternoon.

It is a different thing than closing a pass due every day couple hours for cyclists.

===============
Now, the comparison with Rombo and Gloßglockner are not entirely proper: those routes had a lot of facilities built, they make for a nicer experience in terms of signaling, art installations along the route, and their summit is far more organized than the chaos at the Stelvio summit.

If proceedings for tolls will create such a route enhancement there, I'm all for tolling it.
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:57 PM   #4014
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
That is usually the case when there is avalanche risk, which closes the passes in mid-afternoon.

It is a different thing than closing a pass due every day couple hours for cyclists.
I agree.

Quote:
Now, the comparison with Rombo and Gloßglockner are not entirely proper: those routes had a lot of facilities built, they make for a nicer experience in terms of signaling, art installations along the route, and their summit is far more organized than the chaos at the Stelvio summit.
I don't know if the comparison is not proper. I think I'll drive such roads for the scenery, certainly not for facilities and art installations...
Old July 31st, 2012, 06:47 PM   #4015
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
I don't know if the comparison is not proper. I think I'll drive such roads for the scenery, certainly not for facilities and art installations...
Of course!

Those facilities add and enhance the stunning scenery that is already there

Also, they provide something critical: more parking spots along the route so you can get out, go to some vantage point to look at the mountains etc.

The Stelvio summit needs urgent renovation, though. Its restaurants and bathrooms are bad, they have those shacks selling merchandise and souvenirs etc. As I wrote once, they should have an Autogrill up there.
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:54 PM   #4016
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist
As I wrote once, they should have an Autogrill up there.
No, they should have traditional alpine buildings up there with restaurants and shops inside. An Autogrill style building would spoil the view. And Autogrill company wouldn't invest for an Autogrill that stays open just 5 months a year.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:59 PM   #4017
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
No, they should have traditional alpine buildings up there with restaurants and shops inside. An Autogrill style building would spoil the view. And Autogrill company wouldn't invest for an Autogrill that stays open just 5 months a year.
I'm talking less of the architecture as I'm talking about the food offer, organization and a minimal of "customer centered" service.

Of course in a mountain top you'd like to have massive glass panels instead of walls

But, hey, that doesn't mean filthy bathrooms, unorganized stores, long lines and bad food.
Old August 1st, 2012, 12:25 AM   #4018
brick84

A3 Salerno-Reggio Calabria: new opening today

- Anas has now opened to traffic of the new gallery "Barritteri" and the new release of Bagnara-Sant'Elia-Melicuccà, the stretch of the A3 Salerno-Reggio Calabria between the junctions of St. Elias and Palmi, near Reggio Calabria.

- Open to traffic by August 2 additional km of new motorway A3.

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 10:25 AM   #4019
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick84 View Post
A3 Salerno-Reggio Calabria: new opening today

- Anas has now opened to traffic of the new gallery "Barritteri" and the new release of Bagnara-Sant'Elia-Melicuccà, the stretch of the A3 Salerno-Reggio Calabria between the junctions of St. Elias and Palmi, near Reggio Calabria.

- Open to traffic by August 2 additional km of new motorway A3.
By new "release" I guess you mean "new exit". Google translate
Old August 1st, 2012, 01:55 PM   #4020
italystf

What kind of gallery is? Art gallery or photo gallery?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways