daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #4321
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I never forget this Fiat Panda in central Naples, who actually let me in. Been there loads of times since, but I thought it was something special: a native being courteous to a British reg driver.... Yet, the way they drive never bothered me. Same situations in Prague or Brussels, and I find them absolute *******s. Not the Italians. It somehow fits in their lifestyle.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #4322
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

I'm not talking about people per se, I remember one time when I lived in Naples, I was just arrived there, I was on the bus and asked an elderly lady for directions. She actually took my arm and walked me there, even if it wasn't her stop! I was amazed by the kindness of that lady.
It's just people on the road, who are selfish.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #4323
Road_UK
BANNED

Yes, I get that as well in Italy and Spain. One time in Seville, I totally got lost. It was the time before the GPS, so I stopped at the petrol station for directions. This car driver offered to drive ahead of me, and I followed him straight to my address. He didn't even want to accept 10 euros I offered him. God bless him, I would never have found it...
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #4324
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Those are the little things that make you think there's still hope for humanity...

Changing subject, I learned another thing during my trip. A Southern Thyrrenian motorway, Roma-Latina-Gaeta-Mondragone-Pozzuoli, is BADLY needed.
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #4325
Road_UK
BANNED

More in your neck of the woods then mine I feel. I couldn't possibly comment on the second part of your comment...
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #4326
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Weren't there plans to widen a part of A1 Roma - Napoli to 2x4 lanes?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #4327
Road_UK
BANNED

It'd be strange if they did. I never got stuck in traffic there. Plus, you'd get what I see between Bologna and Modena every time: people sticking with lanes 3 and 4 only.
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #4328
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
More in your neck of the woods then mine I feel. I couldn't possibly comment on the second part of your comment...
For lack of knowledge on your part or for some other reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Weren't there plans to widen a part of A1 Roma - Napoli to 2x4 lanes?
Not to my knowledge.

Quote:
It'd be strange if they did. I never got stuck in traffic there. Plus, you'd get what I see between Bologna and Modena every time: people sticking with lanes 3 and 4 only.
Indeed. Minds need enlargment, not (only) motorways.
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #4329
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

http://www.autostrade.it/opere/stato...html?initPos=2

All the way down:

I PRINCIPALI PROGETTI ALLO STUDIO - CONVENZIONE DEL 2008

A1 4° corsia S.Cesareo - Colleferro 16,6 km
A1 4° corsia Colleferro - Frosinone 31,3 km

It's a study according to a 2008 convention.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #4330
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza
Those are the little things that make you think there's still hope for humanity...

Changing subject, I learned another thing during my trip. A Southern Thyrrenian motorway, Roma-Latina-Gaeta-Mondragone-Pozzuoli, is BADLY needed.
There are already long term plans for this motorway. From Rome to Latina there is already an expressway (SS148).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #4331
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A1 4° corsia S.Cesareo - Colleferro 16,6 km
A1 4° corsia Colleferro - Frosinone 31,3 km
Probably more like a long term wish especially in current financial crisis. I always thought that this motorway has more than enough capacity.
For example A1 between Firenze and Roma is most part only 2+2 and I don't see any reason to expand this except south of Firenze.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #4332
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza

For lack of knowledge on your part or for some other reasons?

Not to my knowledge.

Indeed. Minds need enlargment, not (only) motorways.
Lack of knowledge.
Old September 9th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #4333
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
There are already long term plans for this motorway. From Rome to Latina there is already an expressway (SS148).
A rather substandard one, may I add. From Pozzuoli to Mondragone it's an expressway too (SS 7 quater - Domitiana), much better. I drove it yesterday and was amazed. A very little effort in widening and it's ready to be motorway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Probably more like a long term wish especially in current financial crisis. I always thought that this motorway has more than enough capacity.
For example A1 between Firenze and Roma is most part only 2+2 and I don't see any reason to expand this except south of Firenze.
I agree, there's really no need for a 4+4 widening to Frosinone. The only things that stretch needs are toll booth redesigning, as well as local roads leading to interchanges. Valmontone and Colleferro exits are often clogged, the first one because of a very famous discount market, the second one because toll booth is designed by a madman. Frosinone exit also is bad, not the exit itself but the road that get there: a very busy one, through the Southern neighborhood of the city.
Old September 11th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #4334
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Four lane roundabout near Affi at the end of SS 450:

[IMG]http://i49.************/i6ci6s.jpg[/IMG]

It is here but clouds cover it on Google Maps (but it's visible on Google Earth).

By the way, it's a pity SS 450 is not a motorway linket to both A4 and A22...

(crosspost from the roundabouts thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...6#post94975216)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #4335
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

what direction/destination does the most of the traffic from A22 southbound take after Verona?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #4336
Road_UK
BANNED

Either Milan or Modena I'd imagine...
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #4337
JB Colbert
In the Grid.

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Having driven in Italy, I have to say that Italian drivers overtake recklessly everywhere, either during a long roadtrip or a short one. The fact that overtaking is banned almost always doesn't help, I mean, they don't distinguish between where it is safe and where it is not because it's always banned.

There is almost no reckless passing in Spain or France, even in places only accessible by driving 100 km+ on two-lane roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
That's consistent with my experience. Half the drivers who have passed me in Italy have moved back into my lane less than 2 meters from me -- some of them less than 20 centimeters from me -- despite having no one in front in either lane.
I drove the past week-end for almost 2400 km, in Italy of course, on the path Savona-Cariati-Milano-Savona, via A10-A11-A1-A3-SS106-A14-A1-A7-A26.
Nobody has overtook me in reckless mode and nobody drove less then 20 cm from me.
Was I lucky?

Actually on the SS106 there was some drivers did not respect the speed limits.

I don't want to mean that aren't reckless people in Italy or that suddendly all the italian drivers became fair on the road, but someone often represents reality in a stereotyped way.

Last edited by JB Colbert; September 11th, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
JB Colbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #4338
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Colbert View Post
I drove the past week-end for almost 2400 km, in Italy of course, on the path Savona-Cariati-Milano-Savona, via A10-A11-A1-A3-SS106-A14-A1-A7-A26.
Nobody has overtook me in reckless mode and nobody drove less then 20 cm from me.
Was I lucky?

Actually on the SS106 there was some drivers did not respect the speed limits.

I don't want to mean that aren't reckless people in Italy or that suddendly all the italian drivers became fair on the road, but someone often represents reality in a stereotyped way.
JB, I drove 1800 km over the weekend (Brescia-Terracina-Salerno-Cava de'Tirreni-Terracina-Brescia) and I met countless people driving recklessly and doing every kind of stupid and dangerous stuff. It's not about stereotypes, it's reality. Yes, you must have been very lucky.
Maybe we just don't agree on what is "reckless". To me, even overtaking without signaling is being reckless. And in Italy, nobody uses his blinkers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
By the way, it's a pity SS 450 is not a motorway linket to both A4 and A22...

(crosspost from the roundabouts thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...6#post94975216)
I can't agree more. I read there was a project to transform it into a direct motorway link, but only if a superstrada could also be built from Affi to some place north (maybe Brenzone, or Malcesine), under monte Baldo and on the side of lake Garda. But guess what? Environmentalists said no.
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #4339
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

An article on stradeeautostrade.it tells about the financial difficulties of Pedemontana Lombarda. Banks aren't willing to lend money and works are about to stop.

http://online.stradeeautostrade.it/n...00012090599004
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #4340
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Either Milan or Modena I'd imagine...
then why A22 turns east near Verona, if most of the traffic goes to Milan
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags