daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #4341
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
then why A22 turns east near Verona, if most of the traffic goes to Milan
Because it follows the course of Adige river, where it's easier to build, and serves Verona city (and its airport) better. West of it there are morenic Garda hills. As a matter of fact basically noone coming from north A22 turns right to go to Milan at Verona, because pretty much everyone leaves the autostrada at Affi, takes superstrada to Peschiera and enters A4 at Peschiera.

Most traffic goes to Modena, while a substantial but minoritarian part goes to Venice
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #4342
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I still go from A22 straight onto A4. It may be a few minutes longer, but I like to stay on the same toll ticket.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #4343
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

they could build SS450 to the right to serve Verona, and A22 to the left then.

also, when I tap Munich-Milan to g.maps, it gives me that: https://maps.google.si/maps?saddr=So...0&sz=7&t=m&z=7
Vienna-Milan: https://maps.google.si/maps?saddr=Ro...0&sz=7&t=m&z=7

neither one takes advantage of Brennerpass.

Last edited by hofburg; September 11th, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #4344
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

It would be batter have a full motorwat triangle Verona - Peschiera - Affi, like that between A11 and A12 in Tuscany.

Munich-Milan https://maps.google.si/maps?saddr=So...0&sz=7&t=m&z=7
This trip involves also the 1+1 A13 in Switzerland and you need two different vignettes (the Austrian one just for few km). Probably it's better via the Brennerpass.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #4345
Road_UK
BANNED

I met a German once on the Brenner road at the services who was on his way from Munich to Lyon via Italy.
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #4346
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Likes (Received): 2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It would be batter have a full motorwat triangle Verona - Peschiera - Affi, like that between A11 and A12 in Tuscany.

Munich-Milan https://maps.google.si/maps?saddr=So...0&sz=7&t=m&z=7
This trip involves also the 1+1 A13 in Switzerland and you need two different vignettes (the Austrian one just for few km). Probably it's better via the Brennerpass.
First: the link doesn't work!

The one that purchases that vignette is a stupid person: Bundestraße 190 all the way! Then into Germany and in the motorway A96 in Lindau!

PS: I agree on the Affi Triangle but local traffic has to be guaranteed to be toll free!

YES TO THE UNITED STATES OF EUROPE ♥ FREEDOM FOR NORTH KOREA
STOP SYRIAN AND IRAQI GENOCIDE ♥ SUPPORT FEMINISM AND FEMALE EDUCATION
Fabri88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #4347
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
they could build SS450 to the right to serve Verona, and A22 to the left then.
A22 was built in the 70s, SS450 30 years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri88 View Post
PS: I agree on the Affi Triangle but local traffic has to be guaranteed to be toll free!
Why? Nobody pays my motorway tolls if I enter A4 at Brescia...
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #4348
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri88
First: the link doesn't work!
https://maps.google.si/maps?saddr=So...0&sz=7&t=m&z=7

Fixed it. Sorry if I used maps.google.si but I copy-pasted the hogburg's post above.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #4349
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
A22 was built in the 70s, SS450 30 years later.
(but it doesn't seem so)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #4350
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
(but it doesn't seem so)
Can't find its inauguration date but it must be before 2000. Maybe mid 90s, so "only" 20 years later.
Old September 11th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #4351
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

as I think brennerpass serves more as a gateway towards the south Italy, than for Milan and Venice routes.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #4352
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg
as I think brennerpass serves more as a gateway towards the south Italy, than for Milan and Venice routes.
Not for freight avoiding high tolls in France and customs clearance in Switzerland, plus traffic from large parts of Germany and Scandinavia. Even from Calais to Rome or Milan via Brenner is not all that much longer.
Old September 12th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #4353
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Most traffic goes to Modena, while a substantial but minoritarian part goes to Venice
How much of that traffic goes to (southern) Verona? As I can see, there's just one interchange on the A4 (Verona sud), I guess most traffic uses the parallel expressway.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 01:06 AM   #4354
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso

How much of that traffic goes to (southern) Verona? As I can see, there's just one interchange on the A4 (Verona sud), I guess most traffic uses the parallel expressway.
If you came from Trento/Brenner you wouldn't exit at Verona Sud. Just exit at Verona Nord, take the expressways (tangenziali) end take the exit closer to the part of the city you're going.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old September 12th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #4355
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Yes, Verona sud only seems suitable for Via Nazioni, but you can also continue on A4 and go to eastern Verona. Still, I don't think that's so much traffic.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #4356
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

I was taking a look at an Italian detailed road map, trying to came to the conclusion of which new alignments (longer than 50km) are most desperately needing a full 2x2 controlled-access highway where none currently exists.

I came to the conclusion a highway connecting Spoleto-Terni-Rieti-L'Aquila, then multiplexing with A24 and A25 and then linking Sulmona-Castel d Sangro-Isernia-Benevento as the most useful long-distance would-be highway.

Parts of it have 1+1 expressways, but they aren't enough. A full-scale autostrada would greatly improve mobility, acting as a "spine" for several 1+1 routes connecting A1 or A14 to the "hinterland" like SS650, SS647, SS87 etc.

Chances of it getting built? Low for next 15 years unless a new economic boom is unleashed in Italy.
Old September 12th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #4357
Road_UK
BANNED

And you can tell all this by just looking at a map? I like Rieti, also like the countryside around it. It attracts lots of holidaymakers.
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #4358
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Yes, Verona sud only seems suitable for Via Nazioni, but you can also continue on A4 and go to eastern Verona. Still, I don't think that's so much traffic.
Yes because strangely enough, at Verona Sud exit there is no correspondent tangenziale exit. You have to go a bit through the city to take tangenziale from exit Verona Sud. Not worth it.
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #4359
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
And you can tell all this by just looking at a map? I like Rieti, also like the countryside around it. It attracts lots of holidaymakers.
No, it's like the absence of a high-capacity link along the Apennines.
Old September 12th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #4360
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I came to the conclusion a highway connecting Spoleto-Terni-Rieti-L'Aquila, then multiplexing with A24 and A25 and then linking Sulmona-Castel d Sangro-Isernia-Benevento as the most useful long-distance would-be highway.
Spoleto-Terni is u/c as a 2x2 expressway but with great difficulties (Somma Pass). Apart from that, there is not much traffic to and from Rieti, but I agree Castel di Sangro could be linked better with, well, anywhere. Reaching Castel di Sangro is still quite a challenge, even from the seaside.

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways