daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2012, 04:01 PM   #4601
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It would be interesting to know its AADT.
It would be interesting to know the AADT of all Italian motorways
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2012, 04:08 PM   #4602
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Yes, the RA2 Avellino-Salerno is more similar to an expressway.

Does someone know the exact altitude of the highest point of the A3?
Here they say the highest point is 1017m (3336 ft) near Campotenese. The highest junction is the Campotenese, at 985m (3231 ft), as they say here.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 04:10 PM   #4603
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza
It would be interesting to know its AADT.
Quite low I guess. It's used mostly to reach Gorizia, since most of traffic between Venice and Ljubljana goes via Fernetti (it's faster).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 04:40 PM   #4604
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

But could that change over time? The route via the A34 is a bit shorter (two km, but still) and saves a bit of toll.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:07 PM   #4605
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

I always preferred the route through Gorizia from Ljlubljana to Italy (even when the Slovenian expressways hasn't been built yet) so I drove Raccordo Gorizia - Villesse several times. The original road must have been refurbished, however, I, too, can't see the reason for upgrading it to a full profile motorway.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:51 PM   #4606
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino-
But could that change over time? The route via the A34 is a bit shorter (two km, but still) and saves a bit of toll.
Depends if there is a high speed trap risk on the H4, that has 110 speed limit.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:13 PM   #4607
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza

Here they say the highest point is 1017m (3336 ft) near Campotenese. The highest junction is the Campotenese, at 985m (3231 ft), as they say here.
Thanks. I asked it because I read 1300 in some post and it seemed very unlikely to me.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:41 PM   #4608
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

about RA17 - lorries prefer the route H4 (SLO)-RA17 (I) instead of A3 (SLO)-A4 (I). reason? i don't know really.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:39 PM   #4609
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
Unless they widen it then it is way below spec for a motorway. I can see it in Streetview, there is no way that is a real motorway.
That's an old photo, before they started with reconstruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
The original road must have been refurbished, however, I, too, can't see the reason for upgrading it to a full profile motorway.
I wouldn't mind, if it were built without shoulders, but it was too narrow and the speed limit was just 80 km/h.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:52 PM   #4610
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
That's an old photo, before they started with reconstruction.

I wouldn't mind, if it were built without shoulders, but it was too narrow and the speed limit was just 80 km/h.
It was so narrow because it was initially a 4-lane single carriaggeway and the concrete median was added later without widening the road.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:16 PM   #4611
Verso
Islander

Yeah, I remember when it was a single carriageway.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:55 PM   #4612
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
about RA17 - lorries prefer the route H4 (SLO)-RA17 (I) instead of A3 (SLO)-A4 (I). reason? i don't know really.
Guess because it saves a bit of toll, while lorries won't have the difference in vmax of remaining on the A4 to their advantage. 110 or 130 is irrelevant if you're a lorry...
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:18 PM   #4613
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino-
Guess because it saves a bit of toll, while lorries won't have the difference in vmax of remaining on the A4 to their advantage. 110 or 130 is irrelevant if you're a lorry...
And toll difference is bigger for lorries.

Some years ago there was an idea to remove Villesse and Lisert toll plazas and build a new one between Palmanova and Villesse. It would made the Villesse - Trieste section toll free.
It would have solved the congestion problems in Trieste Lisert toll booth, that has few gates and there is no space for widening.
However, since the new A34 includes a new, wider, toll plaza in Villesse, this project will never be completed. Maybe because Autovie Venete would have lost toll revenues.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:01 PM   #4614
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
Guess because it saves a bit of toll
For cars yes, but I think it's slightly more expensive for trucks.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:13 PM   #4615
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

Quote:
it doesn't save a toll. let's take route Ljubljana - Portogruaro (as the part of the most used route from Slovenia to Italy). H4-RA17-A4 combination costs 38,70€, A3-A4 combination costs 36,00€
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:47 PM   #4616
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Today, 22nd November, at 18:00 (6pm) two small sections of new A34 (former RA17) are going to open. First section is the junction between current carriageway and the exit ramp "Sant'Andrea", for vehicles coming from Villesse towards Gorizia. Second section is autostrada proper in the same spot.

Lengths are not shown anywhere...
didn't see anything new today, except that expressway below Gorizia roundabout is phisicaly opened, but not finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Yes. On the Slovenian side will remain the substandard expressway.
expressway is standard, motorway from Sempeter - Selo is substandard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It only lacks hard shoulders. With that low traffic they can be happy they have a 4-lane motorway/expressway at all.
Quote:
In fact I can't see the reason for widening the Italian side
there's a reason: I need it!

Quote:
now, with the works going on, trucks via Gorizia instead of Fernetici are fewer. but Slovak registered trucks still prefer this route
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #4617
Puležan

Likes (Received): 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Because A4 (section from Trieste to Monfalcone) sometimes can be very congested (with big share of trucks), so drivers going from Slovenia to Italia prefer H4/RA17 to avoid traffic jams...
Anyway, what's going on with plans to widen A4 to 6 lanes up to Trieste?
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #4618
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puležan View Post
Because A4 (section from Trieste to Monfalcone) sometimes can be very congested (with big share of trucks), so drivers going from Slovenia to Italia prefer H4/RA17 to avoid traffic jams...
Anyway, what's going on with plans to widen A4 to 6 lanes up to Trieste?
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=A...sz=13&t=m&z=11

this section being widened
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #4619
Puležan

Likes (Received): 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
Thanks
So after that section, there's still another ~120 km to go... Hope works will resume as planned
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #4620
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puležan

Thanks
So after that section, there's still another ~120 km to go... Hope works will resume as planned
Only till Villesse (A4-A34 junction) it will be widened.

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways