daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #4681
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

3rd lane works for Autostrada del Brennero (A22) between Modena and Verona have been approved and financed. They are going to begin in 2014.
http://www.lestradedellinformazione....mento2523.html
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #4682
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

That's funny. I have always found the stretch between Verona and Trento busier.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #4683
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

of course it's much easier to stick the 3rd lane Modena-Verona than Verona-Trento.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #4684
Road_UK
BANNED

Of course, but every time I join the A22 from the A1, I always get this relieved feeling over me to be rid of that busy lane hogging traffic.
Old December 14th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #4685
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

I think they could push a project to make A22 double-decked between Trento and Verona. There is barely any space for widening, but double-decking would be an interesting (and fun to drive on) solution. They could even make a second 2x2 upper deck meant for light vehicles only.
Old December 14th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #4686
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Road_UK's right, Verona-Modena is not the busiest stretch, but for sure is the easiest to enlarge, since there is already space for the 3rd lane in the grassy median. However, the 1+ km long viaduct over river Po has to be torn down and replaced, while the somewhat shorter viaduct over Fissero-Tartaro will be just enlarged in situ.

As for suburbanist's proposal, I think costs will be just... astronomical, and I don't think it can be seriously taken into consideration.
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #4687
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Besides, most of the congestion between Trento and Verona is due to Affi junction, where people coming from North and heading West onto A4 exit the motorway, pay the toll, and enter superstrada SS 450 towards Peschiera del Garda through two absurd roundabouts.
The only thing to do here is transform SS 450 into a motorway leg, directly connected to A22 and A4 (much like Fiorenzuola A21 leg, once a superstrada, now connects directly A21 and A1). There were plans to do so almost a decade ago, but the projects was attached to a northward extension of SS 450 until Pai, with a tunnel under Monte Baldo and - guess what - environmentalists blocked everything.
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #4688
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
However, the 1+ km long viaduct over river Po has to be torn down and replaced, while the somewhat shorter viaduct over Fissero-Tartaro will be just enlarged in situ.
I think they can close the 3rd lane before the viaduct and add it back on after without too much risk of congestion. There are more motorways in Italy and the rest of Europe with this kind of setup.
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #4689
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I think they can close the 3rd lane before the viaduct and add it back on after without too much risk of congestion. There are more motorways in Italy and the rest of Europe with this kind of setup.
Are you sure? I know of viaducts with no shoulder, but I've never seen a 3-lane road going 2-lane on a viaduct and 3-lane again after that. This kind of configuration will result in a major bottleneck (just like 3rd lane ends just before Rimini on A14, creating long queues..)
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #4690
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza
However, the 1+ km long viaduct over river Po has to be torn down and replaced
Why not build a new, narrow, viaduct next to the existing one and use the old one for a direction and the new one for the other?
They should do the same with the viaduct over Tagliamento on A4 (that will be turned from 2+2 no shoulders from 3+3 with shoulders).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #4691
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK

It's also dangerous and would need lower speed limits where the 3rd lane ends.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #4692
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Why not build a new, narrow, viaduct next to the existing one and use the old one for a direction and the new one for the other?
They should do the same with the viaduct over Tagliamento on A4 (that will be turned from 2+2 no shoulders from 3+3 with shoulders).
I don't know, I'm not an engineer. Maybe they calculated that old pylons could not withstand the added weight.
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #4693
italystf

Quote:

I don't know, I'm not an engineer. Maybe they calculated that old pylons could not withstand the added weight.
Why? If it currently can carry 4 lanes (2+2) why it won't be able to carry only 3 lanes (in the same direction) in the future?
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #4694
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Yes but the actual viaducts are two, and they are apart: to make them function as one, the gap between them must be filled. Maybe, for some reasons I don't know, they can't do that.
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #4695
italystf

Quote:
Yes but the actual viaducts are two, and they are apart: to make them function as one, the gap between them must be filled. Maybe, for some reasons I don't know, they can't do that.
Sorry, I forgot that the two carriaggeways aren't contiguous there. It's a long time since I drove there the last time.
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #4696
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Sorry, I forgot that the two carriaggeways aren't contiguous there. It's a long time since I drove there the last time.
They're not that far:

http://goo.gl/maps/q8jvA

but again, maybe there are engineering problems I don't know.
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #4697
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19424

This particular section of A22 opened in 1971, so I assume the bridge is somewhat better designed than 1960s bridges (a major issue in Germany currently). The shoulder on the bridge appears to be a tad too narrow to be used as a third lane.

It's not impossible to joint bridges together and use it with 3 lanes one way. Another less common option is to separate the carriageway and use a 2+1 setup in one direction, though this is generally not preferred. There are two locations in the Netherlands where this occurs.

Unfortunately there is no traffic data of Italian motorways, so it's hard to judge what not widening these bridges would mean to traffic flow.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #4698
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Aiscat has some data:
http://www.aiscat.it/pubblicazioni/d...im3-4_2011.pdf

(Although I don't know how to read them )

Last edited by g.spinoza; December 14th, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #4699
ArtZ

Likes (Received): 1076

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolego View Post

View from Tangenziale di Torino. The highest peak is the "Monviso" (About 3.800 meters high)

Excellent view. I really like it!
ArtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #4700
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19424

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
That is what many toll road operators publish, the amount of trips within a given range (for example 290.000 trips on a 200 kilometer stretch of road).

Unfortunately such data is useless to judge whether a road has adequate capacity or not. You need more detailed data for that, preferrably the number of vehicles between every single exit.

If I had to guess the traffic volumes for individual sections of the A22, I'd say it's within the 50.000 - 70.000 range. If it's 50.000, a 2x2 bridge won't create traffic congestion, but if it's 70.000 with some growth, it will reach capacity pretty soon. Additionally, the truck share is also an important factor, and summer volumes are also pretty important because seasonal variation is more pronounced in southern Europe and Scandinavia than in central/northwestern Europe.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways