daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #4701
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That is what many toll road operators publish, the amount of trips within a given range (for example 290.000 trips on a 200 kilometer stretch of road).

Unfortunately such data is useless to judge whether a road has adequate capacity or not. You need more detailed data for that, preferrably the number of vehicles between every single exit.
That's what I suspected as well. It's a shame.

Quote:
If I had to guess the traffic volumes for individual sections of the A22, I'd say it's within the 50.000 - 70.000 range. If it's 50.000, a 2x2 bridge won't create traffic congestion, but if it's 70.000 with some growth, it will reach capacity pretty soon. Additionally, the truck share is also an important factor, and summer volumes are also pretty important because seasonal variation is more pronounced in southern Europe and Scandinavia than in central/northwestern Europe.

A technical question about capacity and congestion: you are talking about 2 lane brigde vs 3 lane bridge, as if they stand on their own. I think the issue should be more about the carriageway narrowing (going from 3 to 2) than the capacity tout court. I mean people drive differently on a 2-laned stretch of motorway or on a 3-laned-turning-2-laned stretch. It's there where the problems arise (people merging at the last second, and so on).

Is this correct or am I missing something?
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #4702
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

The impact of driver's behavior varies by country, but is often exaggerated in people's perception, studies have shown that it affects highway capacity in the order of a few percent. However, a reduction from 3 to 2 lanes means there is 30% less capacity. That is the main factor.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #4703
dreaad
Torino è elettronica!!

Likes (Received): 2870

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolego View Post

View from Tangenziale di Torino. The highest peak is the "Monviso" (About 3.800 meters high)

3841 m to be precise. very nice!

«Torino è la città italiana in cui negli ultimi anni si è costruito di più, un processo che riguarda tutte le città post-industriali, destinate a diventare città del divertimento. Il modello, anche se non esplicito, è Las Vegas» (Giuseppe Culicchia)
dreaad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #4704
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

One alternative would be using the two (structurally) existing bridges in one direction and building a new bridge in the other.

Quote:
Besides, most of the congestion between Trento and Verona is due to Affi junction, where people coming from North and heading West onto A4 exit the motorway, pay the toll, and enter superstrada SS 450 towards Peschiera del Garda through two absurd roundabouts.
When there were queues for the toll station there, I used just to go on A22 and drive the extra kms.
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #4705
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
When there were queues for the toll station there, I used just to go on A22 and drive the extra kms.
I did that too, but in the summer it's not unusual to see the queue at the toll station arriving well into the first motorway lane.
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #4706
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Sorry, I forgot that the two carriaggeways aren't contiguous there. It's a long time since I drove there the last time.
Lol, isn't that your only motorway to the rest of Italy?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #4707
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Lol, isn't that your only motorway to the rest of Italy?
Not at that place. There are A13 and A21 nearby
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #4708
Verso
Islander

Oops, I thought he was talking about A4 over Tagliamento.
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #4709
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso
Oops, I thought he was talking about A4 over Tagliamento.
I was saying that it's a long time I don't drive on the A22 Verona - Modena.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #4710
Verso
Islander

I've never driven there, so I understand you.
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #4711
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso
I've never driven there, so I understand you.
We need to cross this bridge only if our destination is somewhere between Mantova and Modena (I went few times to meet friends in Guastalla).
If we want to go south or even just to Modena or Reggio Emilia A14-A13-A1 is shorter.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #4712
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Today in Monza, near Milan, ANAS opened its worksite for the public to see the works of SS36 tunnel, which is going to be the (one of the) longest urban tunnels in Europe (1,8km in length). Open is scheduled for March 2013.

Two-tube tunnel will have 3 lanes per direction plus a narrow (90 cm) shoulder, and is going to receive 100k vehicles per day. Current stretch above ground will be used for local traffic only.

Some pictures here:
http://www.lestradedellinformazione....98.1.10.1.html

Last edited by g.spinoza; December 15th, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #4713
Suburbanist
on the road

What do you mean by one of the longest urban tunnels in Europe?
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #4714
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
What do you mean by one of the longest urban tunnels in Europe?
Er, I mean it's a tunnel, in an urban (non-motorway) context, and - at least quoting the ANAS press release, is going to be one of the longest in Europe.

What's confusing?
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #4715
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

They forgot the Giovanni XXIII (2,9 km), Södra länken (4,7 km), the Big Dig (5,6 km), the A86 Duplex tunnels and many others (the M30 in Madrid, the Dublin Port Tunnel, ...).

[email protected]: the Big Dig is clearly not in Europe...

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Last edited by Coccodrillo; December 15th, 2012 at 10:52 PM.
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #4716
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo
They forgot the Giovanni XXIII (2,9 km), Södra länken (4,7 km), the Big Dig (5,6 km), the A86 Duplex tunnels and many others (the M30 in Madrid, the Dublin Port Tunnel, ...).
Big dig in Europe?
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #4717
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
the A86 Duplex tunnels and many others (the M30 in Madrid, the Dublin Port Tunnel, ...).

[email protected]: the Big Dig is clearly not in Europe...
Duplex A86 is clearly not urban but motorway. And I said (one of the) longest . They also forgot the 2.7km tunnel under Lecco, on the same road (SS36).
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #4718
Suburbanist
on the road

Okay. Maybe we just have different definitions of urban tunnels, A86 is an urban tunnel for me, for instance.

In any case, that is a nice project. Now if they only build more tunnels in Milano to speed up city traffic
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #4719
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Okay. Maybe we just have different definitions of urban tunnels, A86 is an urban tunnel for me, for instance.
It seems that ANAS likes to brag even when it hasn't the right to do so

Quote:
In any case, that is a nice project. Now if they only build more tunnels in Milano to speed up city traffic
Yes, urban tunnels are nice and useful but don't think that Milan's going that way. In fact this tunnel is outside Milan, in a long-distance road (Milano-Lecco and beyond).
Old December 16th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #4720
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Bridge over Po river on A22 looks OK, but as seen from Google Streetview
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.0...227.76,,0,8.18
it is hard to widen it for a reasonable price because of construction technique that was used widely at that time. As it is over 40 years old and a capital object with design flaws, it is better to demolish it and construct completely new one.
If the bridge won't be some architectural extravaganza (shouldn't be in the middle of fields but you never know) then it also won't be expensive.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways