daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 20th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #4741
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

29 km of enlarged A14, between Rimini nord and Cattolica, have been opened this morning at 7 o'clock, 10 months ahead of schedule. Three lanes now go almost all the way from Bologna to Pesaro. Almost, because 2 km just south of Rimini nord, and only southbound, are still 2-laned: Santa Giustina viaduct will be replaced with a three-lane one before Easter.

http://www.ilrestodelcarlino.it/rimi...a_corsia.shtml
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #4742
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Really good news.

A14 needs a 3rd lane down to Pescara, at least.
Old December 20th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #4743
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Really good news.

A14 needs a 3rd lane down to Pescara, at least.
Maybe "around" Pescara, since it's quite busy there, but not from Pescara to Civitanova. There is never too much traffic there, although they could straighten some curvy stretches...
Old December 20th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #4744
Suburbanist
on the road

Let's not forget a permanent fix to the half-ass job they did on the botched A24 project near Giulianova?
Old December 20th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #4745
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Let's not forget a permanent fix to the half-ass job they did on the botched A24 project near Giulianova?
I sent them a mail some months ago asking about that, and they have no plans... , but that's a job for Strada dei Parchi SpA, not Autostrade per l'Italia SpA...
Old December 20th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #4746
Suburbanist
on the road

I can live with the lower grade expressway east of Teramo, but to have that bottleneck near the (non)-junction with roundabouts and traffic lights is kinda unacceptable IMHO.

It wouldn't take much to build at a trumpet interchange here - no building to be demolished, no mountain, no stream/creek/river... just a freaking farm field.
Old December 20th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #4747
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

As a matter of fact the expressway Teramo-Mare (SS 80 racc) was badly built by ANAS: two years ago there were some troubles with a bridge and had to be closed for some time.

The original 70s project for A24 was to link with A14 further north, near Alba Adriatica. I read that recently the mayor of Alba (or some town nearby) wrote a letter to Strada dei Parchi SpA urging them to consider completing the A24 with the original project.
Old December 20th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #4748
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza
As a matter of fact the expressway Teramo-Mare (SS 80 racc) was badly built by ANAS: two years ago there were some troubles with a bridge and had to be closed for some time.

The original 70s project for A24 was to link with A14 further north, near Alba Adriatica. I read that recently the mayor of Alba (or some town nearby) wrote a letter to Strada dei Parchi SpA urging them to consider completing the A24 with the original project.
It doesn't worth to build a new motorway parallel to the SS80racc expressway, is better to upgrade the SS80racc to motorway standards, rename it A24 and connect it with A14 with a trumpet interchange (better without breaking the closed toll system).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #4749
Suburbanist
on the road

A24 is a strange case. Multiple construction companies went bust after undertaking the project. Maybe there is some curse associated with the deep bores of the Gran Sasso or the experiments done on the lab there j/k

Once it took me 20 min to clear the jam near that roundabout (on A24) and get an entrance ticket to A14 Fair enough, it was Easter, but still... It is obviously a VERY BAD IDEA to put two rondabouts and a traffic light (at the time) between two highways.
Old December 20th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #4750
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It doesn't worth to build a new motorway parallel to the SS80racc expressway, is better to upgrade the SS80racc to motorway standards, rename it A24 and connect it with A14 with a trumpet interchange (better without breaking the closed toll system).
What if they connected Teramo with Ascoli Pisceno ?
Old December 20th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #4751
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
What if they connected Teramo with Ascoli Pisceno ?
I read somewhere that estimated AADT would be less than 5000

There is however a project for a class C road (superstrada 1+1) called "Pedemontana Abruzzo-Marche" or "Intervalliva del Piceno" connecting these two towns. But I have absolutely no idea if they're actually building it.
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #4752
Suburbanist
on the road

Marche and Abruzzo have many expressways running perpendicular to the coastline (thus to A14). They should build and expressway connecting all of them just on the foothills of the Appennino Centrale
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #4753
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Marche and Abruzzo have many expressways running perpendicular to the coastline (thus to A14). They should build and expressway connecting all of them just on the foothills of the Appennino Centrale
Unfortunately orography and geology of Marche and Abruzzo are quite complex, and there is no such thing as "Appennino centrale foothills": Marche has three main parallel mountain ranges north-south (Catria, San Vicino and Cingoli ranges) while all the rivers and valleys are east-west. Therefore, between the three ranges there are no valleys but high-altitude plateaus and hills. Such a north south expressway would be 95% under tunnels, so definitely not worth it.

Under Quadrilatero project (building and renewal of SS76 and SS77 east-west expressways) there is also a plan for a class C road (superstrada 1+1), running in the only north-south piece of valley in Marche (Esino valley near Matelica and Fabriano), connecting SS76 and SS77 but AFAIK works have not started yet.

(Orography of Abruzzo is even more nightmare-ish, so I won't even start )
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #4754
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist
It would be very difficult due the mountanious territory. In central Italy the priorities are the completation of the "Quadrilatero Marche - Umbria", the E78 Grosseto Fano, the A12 Tirrenica and maybe the upgrading to motorway standards of the E45/SS3bis.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #4755
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Another opening today: new exit "Campotenese" on A3 Salerno-Reggio Calabria, highest junction of the whole motorway (985 m a.m.s.l.).
http://www.lestradedellinformazione....colo11639.html
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #4756
Suburbanist
on the road

I know about the orography, but I was thinking in terms of an expressway full of tunnels along the eastern slopes of the Apennines. Something like the SS36 of Marche an Abruzzo.

But that is just a pipe-dream. At most, they could link Fabriano with Camerino and Tolentino; and link Ascoli Pisceno with Teramo.
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #4757
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
But that is just a pipe-dream. At most, they could link Fabriano with Camerino and Tolentino; and link Ascoli Pisceno with Teramo.
Yes, both links are in project, and both are called "Pedemontana". The first Pedemontana will link Muccia on the SS77 and Albacina on the SS76 through Camerino, Matelica and Cerreto d'Esi.
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:55 PM   #4758
legolego
Used

Likes (Received): 937

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Only projects under real consideration here are red Cremona-Mantua, Ti-Bre (yellow route from Parma but straighter, Casalmaggiore-Bozzolo-Goito-Villafranca di Verona) and red route from Nogara to Legnago with conversion to autostrada of SS434 between Legnago and Rovigo.

Others are just dreams.
...also... "Autostrada Nuova Romea" and "Autostrada Cispadana"

(I'll try to map all of these projects)
Old December 21st, 2012, 01:53 PM   #4759
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Works on Ceto-Berzo Demo stretch of C class road (superstrada 1+1) SS42, in the province of Brescia, have been completed. The stretch is more than 10 km long and major pieces of engineering here are two tunnels, "Sellero" (5074 m) and "Capo di Ponte" (1866 m). Works started in 2009 and the stretch will open in February 2013.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=46...om=13&layers=M

http://www.lestradedellinformazione....colo11650.html
Old December 21st, 2012, 03:37 PM   #4760
legolego
Used

Likes (Received): 937

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolego View Post
...also... "Autostrada Nuova Romea" and "Autostrada Cispadana"

(I'll try to map all of these projects)
GREEN LINE : executive project or Work in progress
BLU LINE: definitive project
RED LINE: study or preliminary project

http://www.scribblemaps.com/#id=UJOIXnso5c

image ru

Last edited by legolego; December 21st, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
legolego no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways