daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:20 PM   #4901
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

the last time when i traveled to Italy i had entered it at border crossing Osp/Crociata

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:56 PM   #4902
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Weird, aren't you?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:03 PM   #4903
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18311

I crossed at Socerb
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:06 PM   #4904
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Weird, aren't you?
i am but i had to pick up somebody at Gabrovica so i have saved 5 km actually so it is not that weird anymore
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:14 PM   #4905
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I remember when I was little we always went via Plavje border crossing, to avoid traffic at Skofije/Rabuiese. you were only able to go via local border crossing if you had a lasciapassare but that was old school.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:16 PM   #4906
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I crossed at Socerb
Strange people roaming around this world.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:17 PM   #4907
hofburg
middle lane hogger

^It was my advice I wanted him to see Trieste/Trst from Socerb, but it was all foggy.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:37 PM   #4908
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18311

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
^It was my advice I wanted him to see Trieste/Trst from Socerb, but it was all foggy.
Yeap, and also raining.
Maybe next time
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:40 PM   #4909
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Maybe more people drive up to the Frejus tunnel without entering it than they do in Monte Bianco...
I've always preferred Mont Blanc over Frejus. Less toll booths on the approaches in both France and Italy.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:00 PM   #4910
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Mont Blanc suffers from occasional congestion on peak travel days. Much less than Gotthard, but I don't think there has ever been any holiday congestion at the Frejus Tunnel. The Frejus Tunnel carries only 4 700 vehicles per day, no doubt due to the steep tolls.

My uncle was driving towards Italy, and he wondered why there was so little traffic at the eastern end of A43. He didn't realize the reason until he had to pay the toll. The tolls are € 40,90 currently...

The English version of the Frejus Tunnel operator site is one of the worst I've seen by the way.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:02 PM   #4911
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

The Gran San Bernardo is even less trafficked with meager 1708 AADT
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:04 PM   #4912
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg
I remember when I was little we always went via Plavje border crossing, to avoid traffic at Skofije/Rabuiese. you were only able to go via local border crossing if you had a lasciapassare but that was old school.
Prepusnica you needed to live less than 10km from the border to have it. A similar situation existed the I-CH small crossings until late 2008.
Until 21.12.07 the only border crossings open to everyone between I and SLO were:
- Fusine
- Predil
- Uccea (daytime only)
- Stupizza
- Venco' (daytime only)
- Gorizia Casa Rossa
- Gorizia Sant'Andrea
- Fernetti
- Lipica
- Pesek
- Rabuiese
- Lazzaretto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK

I've always preferred Mont Blanc over Frejus. Less toll booths on the approaches in both France and Italy.
I don't know what they choosed the open toll system on the new A32, it wasn't a bright idea.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:09 PM   #4913
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Mont Blanc suffers from occasional congestion on peak travel days. Much less than Gotthard, but I don't think there has ever been any holiday congestion at the Frejus Tunnel. The Frejus Tunnel carries only 4 700 vehicles per day, no doubt due to the steep tolls.

My uncle was driving towards Italy, and he wondered why there was so little traffic at the eastern end of A43. He didn't realize the reason until he had to pay the toll. The tolls are € 40,90 currently...

The English version of the Frejus Tunnel operator site is one of the worst I've seen by the way.
I reckon less traffic because it's not accessible from the larger part of Europe avoiding Lyon or having to do extra motorway miles if you don't want to cut across from Bourg En Bresse.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:10 PM   #4914
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I don't know what they choosed the open toll system on the new A32, it wasn't a bright idea.
Because in this way residents can use it for free. Don't forget that this is Valsusa, where people form barricades if they don't get what they want and what is only for their own good.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:18 PM   #4915
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza

Because in this way residents can use it for free. Don't forget that this is Valsusa, where people form barricades if they don't get what they want and what is only for their own good.
They'll use the same system for the A12 Tirrenica. In this case there is a good practical reason: not to rebuild all existing junctions on the SS1 expressway that will be upgraded into A12 motorway.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:55 PM   #4916
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There is another reason - alternative road from Oulx (I) over Claviere/Montgenevre pass and through Briancon (F) to Grenoble (F) - it is about 1 hour longer drive, but it is normally passable in winter too. I went there a couple of times and it is pretty nice drive on most part. Also motorway on French side has steep tolls too.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:03 PM   #4917
hofburg
middle lane hogger

will the new A34 be toll free? or will you pay additional toll at Vilesse for entire section?
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:08 PM   #4918
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg
will the new A34 be toll free? or will you pay additional toll at Vilesse for entire section?
Likely. Autovie already charges more when you exit at Portogruaro or Sacile, even if you don't use the toll-free A28.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:16 PM   #4919
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Something I really don't get is why local residents feel entitled to use toll roads without paying. It doesn't make any sense. The effect on highway traffic is the same for a given car with a given weight at a given speed, regardless of where its owner lives.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #4920
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Something I really don't get is why local residents feel entitled to use toll roads without paying. It doesn't make any sense. The effect on highway traffic is the same for a given car with a given weight at a given speed, regardless of where its owner lives.
This has sense if the motorway is the only primary road in an area - that's the case for A12, upgrading existing SS 1 Aurelia and leaving no alternatives.

On another subject:
Last lots of Variante di Valico could be the first to open. Works on the stretch between Barberino di Mugello and Badia (base tunnel and lots 12-13) are nearing completion (95% currently). Lots are made up of 15.5 km of north carriageway (rest area Aglio Est - Badia) and 20.6 km of south carriageway (Badia - Barberino di Mugello).

Major pieces of engineering on these stretches are of course the Base Tunnel (twin-bore 9km-long) and Aglio viaduct (600 m long, 90 m high, weighing 4660 tons of steel and 44300 tons of concrete).

Stretches can be opened at the end of spring, after structure and wiring tests.

http://online.stradeeautostrade.it/n...00013010499003

Last edited by g.spinoza; January 5th, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways