daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #4961
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
This is something that's always struck me: the amount of trash beside roads in the South. During my month stay in Apulia I've seen them all: overflowing dumpsters, emergency bays in superstrade transformed into trash bins, people launching garbage from the window of their running cars... I simply cannot understand.
That's really bad. When you hear of Neaples garbage crisis you may say that it happens because of poor waste management services, because public administration is lazy and\or corrupted, because there are few landfills, incinerators and recycling plants, because the organizated crime is involved in waste treatment,...
But when you see piles of trash dumped along highways or people trowing bags from running cars it's another thing. You can't say that the system don't work well, but you have to admit that normal people are actually uncivilized. And I don't like to say that people from certain regions are worse than those from other regions, but sometimes is difficult to hide the evidency.

A north Italian city that I find very dirty is Trieste. Better than the south but worse than the rest of the north.
http://www.triesteallnews.it/index.p...-pauliana.html
http://ilpiccolo.gelocal.it/cronaca/...visori-1.19417
This is a cave in the Carso filled with oil

Quote:
Lol, but more seriously, Italy has 3 islands located onto African tectonic plate: Pantelleria, Lampedusa and Lampione, but interestingly enough, not Linosa, even if it's part of the same archipelago with Lampedusa and Lampione.
However Lampedusa and Lampione are geographically part of Africa while Linosa and Pantelleria belong to Europe.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #4962
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Lol, but more seriously, Italy has 3 islands located onto African tectonic plate: Pantelleria, Lampedusa and Lampione, but interestingly enough, not Linosa, even if it's part of the same archipelago with Lampedusa and Lampione.
What about Sicily?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #4963
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
That's really bad. When you hear of Neaples garbage crisis you may say that it happens because of poor waste management services, because public administration is lazy and\or corrupted, because there are few landfills, incinerators and recycling plants, because the organizated crime is involved in waste treatment,...
But when you see piles of trash dumped along highways or people trowing bags from running cars it's another thing. You can't say that the system don't work well, but you have to admit that normal people are actually uncivilized. And I don't like to say that people from certain regions are worse than those from other regions, but sometimes is difficult to hide the evidency.

A north Italian city that I find very dirty is Trieste. Better than the south but worse than the rest of the north.
http://www.triesteallnews.it/index.p...-pauliana.html
http://ilpiccolo.gelocal.it/cronaca/...visori-1.19417
While we are at it I have to say that Rome, while a great city, is not exactly a paragon of cleanliness either. Not to my North European eyes at least...

I can't comment on South Italy too much as I'm yet to travel south of Rome (going to Naples in May, though), but judging by other similarly dirty places I have been to it's partially habit and partially already existing garbage. What I mean is that when it's already so dirty people don't think much of adding some more garbage...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:27 AM   #4964
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
While we are at it I have to say that Rome, while a great city, is not exactly a paragon of cleanliness either. Not to my North European eyes at least...

I can't comment on South Italy too much as I'm yet to travel south of Rome (going to Naples in May, though), but judging by other similarly dirty places I have been to it's partially habit and partially already existing garbage. What I mean is that when it's already so dirty people don't think much of adding some more garbage...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory
It's valid for everything: graffiti, illegal parking, littering, lazyness on workplace, tax evasion, rudeness in general,... When a large share of people surrounding you violates rules, you also are more likely to behave badly (should I be the only stupid who care to be honest?). And in that way illegal and immoral behaviours become socially acceptable, at least until something changes (example stricter controls that scary violators).
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #4965
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
What about Sicily?
Maybe I mistook "tectonic plate" for "continental rise".

Yes, time to go to bed
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #4966
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

This Italian fenomenom always amazes me: at accidents with injured people they block the closed lane(s) with fire torches... Sorry for the low-quality pics.

Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #4967
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

It' standard equipment for the police. Being filled with a (probably toxic) hydrocarbide, they burn in every condition like wind or rain. It's the quickest way to signal the accident fir tge first vehicle approaching the scene. When a proper highway service vehicle arrives it sets up a more elaborated and visible signal of course. Even too much. Those damn led arrows just make me flashblind. What do they use in other countries? I think I saw this in Germany as well.
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #4968
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Is there an official name for the 8590 meter long galleria Variante di Valico and when will it open to traffic? It will be the 4th longest tunnel in Italy (and the second longest entirely in Italy).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #4969
Jeroen669

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkTheWorld View Post
It' standard equipment for the police. Being filled with a (probably toxic) hydrocarbide, they burn in every condition like wind or rain. It's the quickest way to signal the accident fir tge first vehicle approaching the scene. When a proper highway service vehicle arrives it sets up a more elaborated and visible signal of course. Even too much. Those damn led arrows just make me flashblind. What do they use in other countries? I think I saw this in Germany as well.
I've never seen anything like this in other european countries. Using fire to make people go away from the lane is imo too unsafe for the goal it's meant for. Besides, people can still drive over it and crash into the scene.

Yellow and blue flashlights suit well enough imo, even if there's no arrow trailer available. I'd say, just put a police car with blue flashing ligths at least 50 - 100 meters before the scene in a 45 degree angle. If someone is really so blind to miss it, only the car will get damaged.

I think I can explain why Italy is using this unorthodox method though, since Italians are about the most impatient drivers in western europe..
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #4970
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Not impatient. Just temperamental. They never hold a grudge and retaliate, like you often see in Holland or Germany.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #4971
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Is there an official name for the 8590 meter long galleria Variante di Valico and when will it open to traffic? It will be the 4th longest tunnel in Italy (and the second longest entirely in Italy).
I suppose just Galleria di Valico (summit tunnel) or maybe Galleria di Base (base tunnel).

Even the 18.5 km railway tunnel between Bologna and Florence is just called "Grande Galleria dell'Appennino" (great Appennino tunnel).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #4972
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
This Italian fenomenom always amazes me: at accidents with injured people they block the closed lane(s) with fire torches... Sorry for the low-quality pics.
I must say, I saw a lot of accidents, was in one myself, but never saw such torches.

Quote:
Should be Galleria di Valico.
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #4973
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

I once saw them waving a flag on A7 near Milano.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #4974
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

That's much more common. Maybe the torch thing is done only at night.
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #4975
Jeroen669

Quote:
I must say, I saw a lot of accidents, was in one myself, but never saw such torches.
I've seen it at least 3 or 4 times in the past 2 years, only at night indeed.

An other thing I noticed this week in Italy: police officers that are regulating traffic near a primary school to allow children to cross a busy road. I don't know how common this is, though. In my country we have volunteers (older children and parents) with orange vests and a (sort of) stop sign that are regulating traffic during schoolstarts/-ends.
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #4976
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
I've seen it at least 3 or 4 times in the past 2 years, only at night indeed.

An other thing I noticed this week in Italy: police officers that are regulating traffic near a primary school to allow children to cross a busy road. I don't know how common this is, though. In my country we have volunteers (older children and parents) with orange vests and a (sort of) stop sign that are regulating traffic during schoolstarts/-ends.
Here in Brescia I see often, as you mentioned, volunteers (near my home there's a kind elderly lady) but never police officers.
Old January 27th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #4977
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
About its opening date, some say it can be opened this spring, but it's still rumors.
Old January 27th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #4978
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I see both torches and flags in Italy. Sometimes they don't even bother getting out of their vehicles, but wave their flags through an open window.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #4979
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Worst piece of (former) national road in Italy: SS 345 between Maniva and Crocedomini passes, through Dasdana pass:

couldn't find part 2.
Old January 28th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #4980
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

Quote:
Worst piece of (former) national road in Italy: SS 345 between Maniva and Crocedomini passes, through Dasdana pass:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvUKp4289R0">YouTube Link</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeNdjZ2x5TE">YouTube Link</a>

couldn't find part 2.
Home.

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways