daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #5401
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I am also wondering. The new A22 will only improve the connection to the north and to the west, but not to the east and not to Modena! Is the traffic from Sassuolo to Verona/Parma so high? Or are there plans for a further extension to the sea, to Massa or to Lucca?
Modena - Lucca was hypotized long ago, but it's unlikely to being built because of the harsh terrain and thus very high costs and NIMBY opposition. It's more realistic the TI-BRE corridor (Tirreno - Brennero), an extention of the A15 from Parma to the A22 at Nogarole Rocca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
- A4, third lane in Veneto: according to Autovie Venete, works are going slow because of many thefts in construction sites. In Noventa di Piave construction site alone, thieves stole 400k € worth of equipment (batteries, diesel oil, two excavators, many generators).
Such events will agevolate the motorway construction in Balkan countries.
Seriously, it's very sad that a company that employs several millions of €s for ambitious projects can't spend few thousands to secure its equipment, with anti-theft alarms and private guards.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #5402
narkelion
Brentered

Likes (Received): 16513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alqaszar View Post
This "Italian style" junctionplaning has some disadvantages, but also some nice plus sides.

It's of course sometimes complicated to get to the main route, but once aour are on it, local traffic won't bother you as much as it would e. g. here in germany, where junctions are close together and lotz of traffic uses the Autobahn for just going one or two junctions and thus hindering the non-local traffic.

I like the coillector-road concepts like Verona or Udine has them, with parallel, untolled lines for the local traffic. Milan doesen't have them, and driving the A 4 from Novara to Bergamo is consequently often a mess.

Of course, if traffic becomes to dense, the best concept of road construction will fail.
Yes, the "complanari" idea is pretty cool. They are building them also in Rome, on the A24, from Palmiro Togliatti exit to Lunghezza (Roma est toll point). They will solve many traffic problems on that part of Rome: almost 70/80% of the car doing that highway (which is free 'til Ponte di Nona exit) will exit at GRA or one of the urban road between the city and the GRA.

You can see some pic of the project under construction here: http://www.stradadeiparchi.it/media/...complanari.pdf It is in Italian, but is full of images explaining.

Works will end in May 2014.
narkelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #5403
brick84

A3 Salerno-Reggio Calabria

Viaduct Pecorone demolition

by Nitrex Explosives Engineering

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte

Verso, Suburbanist liked this post
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:00 PM   #5404
brick84

A3 Salerno-Reggio Calabria

situation in June 2013

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:13 PM   #5405
italystf

Green: completed
Yellow: U/C
Orange: works will start soon
Light blue: pubblic auction in progress
Red: still in planning stage

Purple dotted line: regional borders

White dot: completed exit
Yellow dot: U/C exit
Red dot: planned exit

MichiH liked this post
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:16 PM   #5406
narkelion
Brentered

I see no blue part... Where is it?

How long will it take to have the planning lots at work?
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:21 PM   #5407
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

I read that it is the most expensive project of road that is under construction in Italy.

- Section between Salerno and Calabria is not tolled to promote tourism and commerce in the South?
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:37 PM   #5408
Renzokuken
Highway fanatic

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post

I read that it is the most expensive project of road that is under construction in Italy.

- Section between Salerno and Calabria is not tolled to promote tourism and commerce in the South?
Well this was the plan when the original A3 was built. No tolls to help develop the Calabria region.
The new A3 still doesn't foresee toll barriers, but IMHO it can't last long without.
Renzokuken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:55 PM   #5409
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzokuken View Post
The new A3 still doesn't foresee toll barriers, but IMHO it can't last long without.
As ANAS plans electronic tolling in freeflow traffic I believe there is no need to plan any toll barriers which should be thing of the past.

brick84 liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 04:15 PM   #5410
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
As ANAS plans electronic tolling in freeflow traffic I believe there is no need to plan any toll barriers which should be thing of the past.
The electronic tolling ANAS is planning to introduce is not a real thing. It has been postponed a number of times, last but not least from Pedemontana Lombarda.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:09 PM   #5411
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

How will the Pedemontana be tolled then, if it will be tolled and really built? AFAIK it has a lot of delays and works have basically not yet started, except half of the two Como and Varese bypasses, and the A8-A9 section.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:16 PM   #5412
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
How will the Pedemontana be tolled then, if it will be tolled and really built? AFAIK it has a lot of delays and works have basically not yet started, except half of the two Como and Varese bypasses, and the A8-A9 section.
I guess toll booths will be built, as in other motorways.

EDIT: I was wrong, it was BreBeMi who abandoned electronic tolling and chose traditional booths. But I bet Pedemontana will follow.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:40 PM   #5413
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

I think toll booths are an expense Italian highways could do without.

They are expensive to operate, and much more so to install on new projects (they take up land, and impose complicated junctions).

However, I do see a silver lining: it avoid the proliferation of exits, which affects some un-tolled highways/expressways, like A3. If toll booths were abolished, some cities would start demanding more exits built, to serve local traffic, and that would increase congestion and force lower speed limits.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:43 PM   #5414
narkelion
Brentered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

They are expensive to operate, and much more so to install on new projects (they take up land, and impose complicated junctions).

However, I do see a silver lining: it avoid the proliferation of exits, which affects some un-tolled highways/expressways, like A3. If toll booths were abolished, some cities would start demanding more exits built, to serve local traffic, and that would increase congestion and force lower speed limits.
The smart answer to this thing is called "Complanare", which works pretty well, to separate the real highway from the free one full of exits to serve the city center.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:46 PM   #5415
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Yes, but that takes some money to build things like they've done with A14 in Bologna.

Chances of ending with a mess like A3 in Napoli are higher, once you "just" need some on-off ramps.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:05 PM   #5416
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

I think we aren't ready to a full-electronic tolling system, too many occasional drivers (people that use motorways once in a while), foreign traffic, elderly not familiar with technology.
The right thing to do is to abolish manned cash toll booths. Leave only automatic cash lanes, they're cheaper to maintain since they don't employ workforce. The problem would be how to fire a such amount of people without generating a revolt.
Old July 4th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5417
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The problem would be how to fire a such amount of people without generating a revolt.
Stupid argument. It's like when computers and word processors became readily available and could be used by everyone - what to do with an armada of typists.

They will do something different. We just need EU wide compatible system, then foreign traffic argument won't apply anymore. And I believe that today's automatic cash machines (especially many those on Italian autostradas) are much more complicated than electronic tolling could ever be. Look around the world.

Last edited by keber; July 4th, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #5418
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Stupid argument.
It's not a stupid argument. It's not like there's plenty of jobs available around. You can fire all the people you want, but when they reach critical mass and go to the squares with pitchforks, you'd want you handled things differently.
Old July 4th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #5419
italystf

They could stop hiring new toll collectors when the existing reach retirement age or change job. Then, with an investment of few thousands of euros, manned toll lane that remain unserviced, can be converted into automatic cash lanes. Within 30 years all manned cash lanes will disappear.
To speed this process, toll collectors, especially younger male, can be offered higher wages to change job and become contruction workers within the same motorway company.
Old July 4th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #5420
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

It's not only in Italy, in Spain we have electronic tolls (Via-T) but also all the toll plazas have personal to collect manual tolls. We're not Switzerland at all. I think France has the same system I don't know surely.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways