daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 4th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #5421
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
It's not only in Italy, in Spain we have electronic tolls (Via-T) but also all the toll plazas have personal to collect manual tolls. We're not Switzerland at all. I think France has the same system I don't know surely.
In Italy we have the following methods of payiment:
- Manned cash lane (not present in exits with the sign "Stazione ad elevata automazione")
- Automatic cash lane
- Prepaid card called "Viacard", introduced in 1981. In the same gates you can pay also with credit/debit cards
- Electronic free-flowing system called "Telepass", introduced in 1989 for professional drivers only and since 1998 for everybody (also motocycles since 2005). With telepass you don't need to stop, just slow down below 30kph. It has however some additional fixed cost.
Only in Sicily and Campania, since 2006, is available the "Telepass ricaricabile" (prepaid telepass) that don't need to be connected with a bank account and has no rent costs apart the initial cost to buy the device. There are plans to introduce this system also in the rest of the country.

When you approach a toll station, you need to look at the signs above every single gate:

Telepass only

Cards only

Both Telepass and cards

Cash only (manned)

Cash or cards (unmanned)

Knowing those symbols is important, if you enter the wrong lane without having the device to pay in that way you have to drive reverse, that it's dangerous. If other cars lines behind you, then you have to call an operator and... receive a lot of cursing by drivers stuck behind you!

javimix19, Moravian liked this post

Last edited by italystf; July 4th, 2013 at 03:19 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #5422
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

Ok thank you for your information italystf, I think that the best system is in Campania and Sicily (the prepaid telepass).
Why this system is not implemented before in the North that in the South? Perhaps because in the South are less traffic? I think that this system is pretty good.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #5423
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
Ok thank you for your information italystf, I think that the best system is in Campania and Sicily (the prepaid telepass).
Why this system is not implemented before in the North that in the South? Perhaps because in the South are less traffic? I think that this system is pretty good.
Don't know. A my hypotesis is because the city of Naples has tolls on most his suburban motorways (A1, A3, A16, A30 and A56). Other big cities such Rome, Milan, Turin and Bologna have toll-free motorways and expressways around them. The entire Campania is very densely populated and has no many good roads so motorways are used often also by local traffic, more than in other parts of Italy.
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #5424
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Works for the enlargement to 2x4 lanes on the A4 west of Milan (16 km between Marcallo-Mesero and Milano Ghisolfa) started today. Works are expected to last 18 months.

More, today some inaugurations happened on A3. First, the conclusion of works on Piale southbound tunnel, between km 429,873 and 430,813; second, 5.3 km of renovated motorway (from km 408,500 to km 413,800) and new Rosarno junction (km 383,000), are opened.

EDIT: Last but not least, tomorrow the call for tender for lots 6,7 and 8 of autostrada A18 (section Rosolini-Modica) will be published.

Last edited by g.spinoza; July 4th, 2013 at 05:51 PM.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #5425
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

A18 is going to be great for Modica, Ragusa and nearby towns. It will provide a longer, but faster access to Catania, Messina and the continent.
Old July 4th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #5426
italystf

However the A18 till Gela is useless unless connected with the A29 in Castelvetrano (via Agrigento). However this motorway was never planned and probably will never be built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
More, today some inaugurations happened on A3. First, the conclusion of works on Piale southbound tunnel, between km 429,873 and 430,813; second, 5.3 km of renovated motorway (from km 408,500 to km 413,800) and new Rosarno junction (km 383,000), are opened.
The map on the previous page is already outdated.
Old July 5th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #5427
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
if you enter the wrong lane without having the device to pay in that way you have to drive reverse
NO! Absolutely not, NEVER even think of reversing. ALWAYS call the operator and everything will be sorted out.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #5428
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
NO! Absolutely not, NEVER even think of reversing. ALWAYS call the operator and everything will be sorted out.
Driving reverse, especially on the Telepass lanes, is very dangerous. One should always ask the operator for help on the intercom.
Old July 5th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #5429
Mauz®
Utonto

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
[...]
Knowing those symbols is important, if you enter the wrong lane without having the device to pay in that way you have to drive reverse, that it's dangerous. If other cars lines behind you, then you have to call an operator and... receive a lot of cursing by drivers stuck behind you!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You MUST NOT drive backward!!!!
It is STUPID, DANGEROUS and absolutely FORBIDDEN.

If you enter the wrong lane, you just have to press the "HELP" button and tell the operator where did you enter the motorway.
The barrier will be opened by the operator, a picture of your plate will be taken and you will receive the toll at home. It takes just a minute or even less.

Sometimes a receipt is also printed. You can use it to pay the toll at any "Puntoblu" store (in 15 days).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Driving reverse, especially on the Telepass lanes, is very dangerous. One should always ask the operator for help on the intercom.
I totally agree!! Countless times I found the usual idiot trying to go backward and pretending me to do the same.
Now I just refuse to do it. I usually hold my position and force him to ask the intercom!

Last edited by Mauz®; July 5th, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
Mauz® no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #5430
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I explained myself bad, I would have written that many people do that when they're in this situation because it's faster than call the operator, not that it's the right thing to do.
The worst thing I would do in this situation is moving to the next lane too late (close to the gate but well before entering it), but always using turning signals and without cutting in front of running cars.
If you drive reverse on a toll lane in the middle of the night with nobody around it's maybe not dangerous for your life but... for you driving license it is, since toll booths are always eqipped with CCTV and this violation is harshly punished in terms of fine and license points because it's potentially deadly if cars are arriving behind you.
Old July 5th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #5431
brick84

A3 Salerno-Reggio Calabria opened to traffic further 5.3 kilometers of highway between Scilla and Bagnara
04/07/2013

stradeanas.it

Also opened the new junction of Rosarno (Reggio C.)

EDIT

Already posted

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte

Last edited by brick84; July 5th, 2013 at 12:59 AM.
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #5432
italystf

The Trieste Lisert toll booth, at the end of the A4, is just few metes before Monfalcone est exit.
If you choose to pay at the lefternmost lanes and you have to exit at Monfalcone est, you'll have a hard time to turn without having an accident. But before the barrier no sign tell you to take a gate on the right if you have to exit at Monfalcone.

Before:
https://maps.google.it/maps?q=monfal...29.38,,0,-1.19

After:
https://maps.google.it/maps?q=monfal...131.94,,0,3.02
Old July 5th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #5433
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
It's not a stupid argument. It's not like there's plenty of jobs available around. You can fire all the people you want, but when they reach critical mass and go to the squares with pitchforks, you'd want you handled things differently.
It is a stupid argument. In Slovenia about 500 people who were not needed on toll gates anymore because of vignette introduction were relocated some to maintenance crews, others to vignette control crews and some were retired - no one lost job except some students which were mostly seasonal employees.

Similar could be done in Italy especially for fortifying maintenance crews - maintenance is in my opinion a weak point on many motorways in Italy. And benefit of simplified traffic flows over redesigned junctions and interchanges should far outweigh potential loss of few hundred jobs on toll collection not to mention millions if not even billions of hours, lost annualy in queues before toll gates.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #5434
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
It's not a stupid argument. It's not like there's plenty of jobs available around. You can fire all the people you want, but when they reach critical mass and go to the squares with pitchforks, you'd want you handled things differently.
It is a stupid argument. In Slovenia about 500 people who were not needed on toll gates anymore because of vignette introduction were relocated some to maintenance crews, others to vignette control crews and some were retired - no one lost job except some students which were mostly seasonal employees.

Similar could be done in Italy especially for fortifying maintenance crews - maintenance is in my opinion a weak point on many motorways in Italy. And benefit of simplified traffic flows over redesigned junctions and interchanges should far outweigh potential loss of few hundred jobs on toll collection not to mention millions if not even billions of hours, lost annualy in queues before toll gates.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #5435
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Got my VIA card. Can't go wrong...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #5436
Renzokuken
Highway fanatic

Likes (Received): 12

sigh... so many dangerous ramps like this in several italian highway exits.
When I exit from a toll booth I always fear for the worst.
Renzokuken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #5437
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I hate the Peschiera del Garda junction on the A4:
https://www.google.it/maps?ll=45.430...33.98,,0,-0.18

This double curve, blind because of the overpass, calls for accidents. This problem is worsened by the fact that this junction is very busy: it is used by everyone coming from Milan and going towards Brennerpass and A22, using SS 450 and saving a lot of km and toll, avoiding going to Verona.

SS 450, in my opinion is one of the worst bottlenecks in this area (probably second only to Gardesana occidentale between Salò and Gargnano in summer months). I hope it will be converted to autostrada one day, linking A4 and A22 directly.
Old July 5th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #5438
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I've never used it. I can't be bothered to go through toll booths twice, so I always use the A4, A22 interchange.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #5439
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I've never used it. I can't be bothered to go through toll booths twice, so I always use the A4, A22 interchange.
Apparently, you're one exception. But vast majority of people on that route, myself included, go thru SS 450. You save toll and fuel, and travel time is more or less the same when the road is clear. Garmin GPS always suggests this route.
Old July 5th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #5440
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Basicly, you don't even need to know the symbols, just the colours:
Yellow = telepass
Blue = cards
White = cash

I have reversed once a few years ago when I entered a blue/yellow lane, but the gate didn't open, despite having telepass. I tried the help button, but the operator couldn't speak a bloody word of english, I spoke barely Italian and there was a lot of noise of other traffic. So yes, I ended up reserving my truck...
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways