daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #5541
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
I always thought that Google Maps shows (at least in Europe) tolled grade separated roads with one or two thick dark orange lines (depending of the number of carriageways), untolled ones with light orange (beside the mistakes like the SS76).
I didn't think of that. I guess you're right.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #5542
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Some mixed news:

- A35 "Brebemi" will open in its entirety in May 2014, but some parts will be opened at the end of 2013 (Castrezzato-Fara Olivana);
- Preliminary project for the extension of Autostrada A26/A4 eastwards has been approved by "Conferenza dei servizi", which is made up of involved municipalities and provinces, and also ministries and utilities boards. Next step is VIA, "Environmental Impact Assessment". This stretch is going to be part of the planned Broni (A21)-Pavia-Mortara motorway, ultimately linking Broni and Ivrea.
- SS38 stretch Fuentes-Cosio in Valtellina (province Sondrio) is going to be opened at the end of July. This 9-km section is going to be a superstrada.
- A3 reconstruction: macrolot 3 section 3 of this autostrada will open next 22 July. This 11-km stretch, from Campotenese to Morano Calabro, is going to open 1.5 years ahead of schedule. Construction company "Tecnis" has been praised for its quick and accurate job, and also for reporting some mafia infiltrations (although on another project, SS106 enlargment also in Calabria).

EDIT:

- on the other hand, VIA rejected the project for Autostrada Cispadana, stating that there are lots of integrations to do on the basis of last year's earthquakes in the area.

Last edited by g.spinoza; July 8th, 2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old July 8th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #5543
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Not any more, since 2011. Now it is solely known as autostrada Ct-Sr.
why didn't use A18? are they crazy?
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #5544
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn-mann View Post
why didn't use A18? are they crazy?
I guess ANAS, who manages A Ct-Sr, wants to distinguish itself from Consorzio Autostrade Siciliane who mananges A18. Consorzio Autostrade Siciliane (CAS) has been center of numerous trials for its misconduct.
Old July 8th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #5545
Autobahn-mann

Quote:
I hate the Peschiera del Garda junction on the A4:
https://www.google.it/maps?ll=45.430...33.98,,0,-0.18

This double curve, blind because of the overpass, calls for accidents. This problem is worsened by the fact that this junction is very busy: it is used by everyone coming from Milan and going towards Brennerpass and A22, using SS 450 and saving a lot of km and toll, avoiding going to Verona.

SS 450, in my opinion is one of the worst bottlenecks in this area (probably second only to Gardesana occidentale between Salò and Gargnano in summer months). I hope it will be converted to autostrada one day, linking A4 and A22 directly.
They AutoBS-PD motorway's society says that will be construicted a new exit a Castelnuovo del Garda, to link directing to SS450...
I didn't rememeber where I've read this, maybe in a depliant of society and newspaper, but was in infrastructure list (how to do) of Veneto Region...
here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostr...aly)#Junctions
I didn't know why this is wrote only in english wikipedia...
maybe I will post other information..
but I didn't know when this will be really realised
Old July 8th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #5546
Autobahn-mann

Quote:
I guess ANAS, who manages A Ct-Sr, wants to distinguish itself from Consorzio Autostrade Siciliane who mananges A18. Consorzio Autostrade Siciliane (CAS) has been center of numerous trials for its misconduct.
I've understand but, I this is the "rule", the ID-number will be the same also if the society will be more than one...
Italian stuff...
Old July 8th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #5547
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
They AutoBS-PD motorway's society says that will be construicted a new exit a Castelnuovo del Garda, to link directing to SS450...
I didn't rememeber where I've read this, maybe in a depliant of society and newspaper, but was in infrastructure list (how to do) of Veneto Region...
here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostr...aly)#Junctions
I didn't know why this is wrote only in english wikipedia...
maybe I will post other information..
but I didn't know when this will be really realised
Exit Castelnuovo was scrapped in 2010... mayors and local authorities want it back, but it's not sure it's going to happen.
Old July 8th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #5548
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
An additional note about the T-roads: Mont Blanc and Fréjus tunnels were for a long time unconnected from the Italian motorway network, that's why the weren't numbered as part of A5 and A32, but as separate motorways called T1 and T4.
Technically, A5 is still not connected to the tunnel. The last 2 curves in Courmayeur were supposed to be made into 2x2 horshoe-shaped tunnel+tall viaduct with larger radii, but that has been abandoned (it would cost € 370 million and they ruled that out until some elusive uncertain date when/if they decide to build a 2nd bore on the tunnel).
Old July 8th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #5549
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I think it's not worth it. Last 2 curves of that road are practically deserted and serve their purpose more than well.
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #5550
Suburbanist
on the road

I think it would make sense to build a last curved tunnel+viaduct if and when a second Monte Bianco bore is put into service (else it would become an obvious and dangerous bottleneck). Until then, it makes not much difference, though I've been stuck behind a very slow moving truck once at speeds on the 20 km/h range
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #5551
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

It's 1.5 km... I don't think it's so serious...
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #5552
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Neither do I. It used to be a lot worse when you still had to go through Courmayeur, and on the French side it's still a lot worse.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #5553
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
It's 1.5 km... I don't think it's so serious...
Actually is less than that, it's only 750 m... the other half of the road is 2+1 (2 lanes upwards, 1 lane downwards).

https://www.google.it/maps?saddr=E25...p=1&sz=18&z=18
Old July 8th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #5554
Suburbanist
on the road

A5 is a quite interesting route. When driving on direction Aosta, you can hear all the trucks using their retard-brakes and what else.

A32 has better views and less tunnels. Its completion is also much more recent. However, it bothers me they use a plaza toll system there.
Old July 8th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #5555
friedrichstrasse
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2540

Quote:
I've understand but, I this is the "rule", the ID-number will be the same also if the society will be more than one...
Italian stuff...
Yes, the numer system seem to be made by crazy people...
friedrichstrasse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #5556
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Italian stuff...
It usually is: A4, A3, A12, each is managed by different companies. Sometimes it's not, though. Look at the disaster between Ivrea and Stroppiana, basically a single motorway managed by two companies, and each branch bears an absurd name: one is A26/A4, the other is A4/A5
Old July 8th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #5557
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Technically, A5 is still not connected to the tunnel.
The A5 does not end where the Mont Blanc Tunnel begins, but where the T1 "motorway" begins.

The best example showing that the T does not identify a tunnel, but a road, is the T2: https://maps.google.ch/maps?saddr=SS...sz=16&t=m&z=13 (two thirds of the Gran San Bernardo tunnel are part of the Swiss H21, not of the Italian T2)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #5558
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

So "T2"-nomenclatura is superfluous, since the SS 26 simply goes into the tunnel.

Yes, Italy really needs a a revamping of the road numbering system.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #5559
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
I think it would make sense to build a last curved tunnel+viaduct if and when a second Monte Bianco bore is put into service (else it would become an obvious and dangerous bottleneck).
With current toll pricing policy I believe there is no danger of "bottlenecking" Monte Bianco/Mont Blanc tunnel - and Frejus too.

hofburg, Suburbanist, g.spinoza liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #5560
Autobahn-mann

Quote:
A32 has better views and less tunnels. Its completion is also much more recent. However, it bothers me they use a plaza toll system there.
I've used for 2 times the A32 motorway, is very nice, but... Yes, the "open" toll system is very annoying / irritant...
sorry for my bad english

Last edited by Autobahn-mann; July 9th, 2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: some grammatical error...

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways