daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2013, 07:40 PM   #5641
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
2x3 lanes on 18 km of A14 Pesaro - Fano. There is now 195 km of continuous 2x3 mecca.

http://www.autostrade.it/comunicati/...257BBA0042D7F7
Awesome, and congrats for your Italian, Chris.

I'm going to drive there in two days, I will report you. Let's hope that queues are things of the past.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:20 PM   #5642
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

If I'm correct this means that the entire widening project of A14 down to Porto Sant'elpidio is completed?

I think congestion near Rimini will be significantly reduced, but Bologna - Forli will still be a major problem. This segment has grown into one of the worst summer congestion spots of Europe. TomTom frequently records over 1 hour of delay with near-stationary traffic around Bologna and southeast to Forli on summer weekends.

A widening to 2x4 lanes is planned in the long term. At least in Italy they try to tackle congestion with large-scale expansion, quite unlike France where you pay 50 - 100% higher tolls, but there are far fewer widenings (on the other hand, France did construct more entirely new motorways than Italy in recent years, but they are outrageously tolled, up to € 0.14/km for a flat rural motorway).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:37 PM   #5643
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

To be fair, in Italy there are a slot of new alignment highways (Pedemontana, BreMeMi, Passante di Mestre, A31/A28) on the Po plains and nearby areas.

However, congestion on A14 is a particular phenomenon difficult to tackle. A14 south of Bologna is a summer bottleneck. However, even with increased highway capacity which is needed, there will be a lot of problems for internal traffic on the heavily developed Adriatic coast there.

They should have reserved ROW for an expressway closer to the beach back when tourism was booming there.
Old August 1st, 2013, 11:17 PM   #5644
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
To be fair, in Italy there are a slot of new alignment highways (Pedemontana, BreMeMi, Passante di Mestre, A31/A28) on the Po plains and nearby areas.

However, congestion on A14 is a particular phenomenon difficult to tackle. A14 south of Bologna is a summer bottleneck. However, even with increased highway capacity which is needed, there will be a lot of problems for internal traffic on the heavily developed Adriatic coast there.

They should have reserved ROW for an expressway closer to the beach back when tourism was booming there.
The most serious problem there is the lack of a motorway between Venice and Cesena. It would bring two major benefits: less congestion both on the A14 Bologna-Cesena and on the overcrowded and deadly SS309 "Romea". A such project would be more needed than the Pedemontana, Nogara-Mare, A31 North and A31 South all combined together.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:47 AM   #5645
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
I think congestion near Rimini will be significantly reduced, but Bologna - Forli will still be a major problem. This segment has grown into one of the worst summer congestion spots of Europe. TomTom frequently records over 1 hour of delay with near-stationary traffic around Bologna and southeast to Forli on summer weekends.
I will drive there 2 weeks from now, but on a Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully there will be no congestion.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:57 AM   #5646
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
If I'm correct this means that the entire widening project of A14 down to Porto Sant'elpidio is completed?
Unfortunately it isn't. Two lots are missing: Ancona Nord-Ancona Sud (works are ongoing but started later than on the other lots; last week they were working on the enlargement of tunnel Sappanico north), and Senigallia-Ancona Nord. The contractor went bankrupt and currently works there are stopped.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 05:07 PM   #5647
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This is the congestion I am talking about. 2 hours (!) delay.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:37 PM   #5648
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Southbound you can partly bypass the delay by taking the tangenziale extension that reaches Ozzano, halfway between Bologna and Castel San Pietro, then SS9 "Emilia", which can be very congested as well. Northbound I always preferred the so called "Stradelli guelfi", a non continuous local road (SP31 for the largest part) which is not signed and known only to few. At times, it can be faster than both A14 and SS9.

https://www.google.it/maps?saddr=Str...sz=13&t=m&z=11
Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:08 PM   #5649
bogdymol
bogdymod

You scare me Chris
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:27 PM   #5650
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Unfortunately it isn't. Two lots are missing: Ancona Nord-Ancona Sud (works are ongoing but started later than on the other lots; last week they were working on the enlargement of tunnel Sappanico north), and Senigallia-Ancona Nord. The contractor went bankrupt and currently works there are stopped.
I stand corrected, they are working on the enlargment of the much smaller tunnel Montedomini north, just south of Ancona Nord exit.

I drove today from Val di Sangro to Bologna and beyond, and indeed three lanes are continuous from Senigallia northwards. Pesaro-Fano section was opened in "construction site" mode, low speed limits (which nobody follows) and old bumpy pavement.

I was amazed by the number of foreign-plated vehicles on the entire route. Lots of Germans, Dutch, French, even 5 or Danish and 1 Belarusan vehicles.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:13 PM   #5651
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post

I stand corrected, they are working on the enlargment of the much smaller tunnel Montedomini north, just south of Ancona Nord exit.

I drove today from Val di Sangro to Bologna and beyond, and indeed three lanes are continuous from Senigallia northwards. Pesaro-Fano section was opened in "construction site" mode, low speed limits (which nobody follows) and old bumpy pavement.

I was amazed by the number of foreign-plated vehicles on the entire route. Lots of Germans, Dutch, French, even 5 or Danish and 1 Belarusan vehicles.
It's Black Saturday today. They're everywhere...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 08:54 PM   #5652
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

The northern Adriatic riviera (also Veneto and Friuli) is full of foreign cars in those weeks. Apart for the obvious Germans, Austrians, Dutch, Swiss,... I see an unusually large number of Russian cars and recently I saw a Finnish and a Lithuanian too.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #5653
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

CIPE (Comitato Interministeriale per la Programmazione Economica, Inter-ministry Committee for Economic Planning) approved last 2nd August the construction of motorway Roma-Latina.

The whole project consists in 186 km of new roads, divided in several sections:

* A12 - Tor de' Cenci (motorway, 16 km)
* Tor de' Cenci - Latina Borgo Piave (motorway 52,3 km)
* Cisterna - A1 Valmontone (motorway, 31.5 km)
* complanari (normal roads beside the motoway) Aprilia Sud - Latina (18.2 km)
* enlargement of SS 148 Pontina (superstrada, 22 km)
* other roads (46 km)

http://roma.corriere.it/roma/notizie...63689473.shtml
Old August 4th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #5654
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
It's Black Saturday today. They're everywhere...
Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The northern Adriatic riviera (also Veneto and Friuli) is full of foreign cars in those weeks. Apart for the obvious Germans, Austrians, Dutch, Swiss,... I see an unusually large number of Russian cars and recently I saw a Finnish and a Lithuanian too.
What is Black Saturday? Haven't heard this term before...

Honestly I don't understand those people. In my opinion the Tyrrhenian coast of Italy is nicer, but in a high season I wouldn't go there either...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #5655
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Black Saturday is a term mainly used in France, but pretty much incorporated in neighbouring countries as well. It's when all these countries get into their cars and either go on holiday or come back from holiday. Last Saturday was Black Saturday as the whole of France got into their cars to start their holidays, and the Netherlands and Germany were either starting as well or just finishing in their vehicles, causing major congestion everywhere. In France alone there was over 800 km of congestion at one point, but also all routes to the Alps and Italy were blocked. Black Saturday is basically a Europe - wide congestion...

Google Samedi Noir and look at the images...

Suburbanist liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #5656
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A3 status
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #5657
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Key:

Green = works completed
Yellow = under construction/renovation
Orange = contracts signed, works to begin soon
Blue = tender undergoing
Red = design phase and/or pending financing

MichiH liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #5658
Sunfuns

What are the red, green and white dots? Are those lot boundaries or maybe exits? If so why are some red, some white and some red on already completed sections?
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #5659
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Black Saturday is a term mainly used in France, but pretty much incorporated in neighbouring countries as well. It's when all these countries get into their cars and either go on holiday or come back from holiday. Last Saturday was Black Saturday as the whole of France got into their cars to start their holidays, and the Netherlands and Germany were either starting as well or just finishing in their vehicles, causing major congestion everywhere. In France alone there was over 800 km of congestion at one point, but also all routes to the Alps and Italy were blocked. Black Saturday is basically a Europe - wide congestion...

Google Samedi Noir and look at the images...
Thanks for the explanation. Fortunately we are not as keen here on going on vacation all at the same time. Particularly those of us not constrained by school holidays. I like to take part of mine in late May or early June.
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #5660
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Fortunately we are not as keen here on going on vacation all at the same time.
It's not like we want to; more, we have to. Factories close in August, because other factories they buy from close in August, because other factories they buy from close in August... so everybody's in the streets at the same time.

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways