daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #5721
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19424

The Jesolo peninsula is very congested with tourists. The coast is lined with resorts and large camp sites, but there are no decent standard roads out of there. I don't think a causeway or tunnel under the lagoon is the most cost-effective option though. I do think the Jesolo area should have some kind of superstrada to A4.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #5722
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkelion View Post
I'd never park in the city center of Rome/Milan/Turin, for example.
It depends. I once quite successfully found a free parking spot within a walking distance of Duomo in Milan. No doubt it helped being Sunday midday.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #5723
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I once found a free parking spot in the centre of Rome for my 7 metre van. Also on a Sunday, 10 minute walk from the Vatican.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #5724
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
All Italian cities were "city without cars" until the turn of 20th century, when modernity arrived
I hope you know Venice is without cars not because it's still in 19th century, but because it has canals in lieu of roads...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #5725
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Jesolo peninsula is very congested with tourists. The coast is lined with resorts and large camp sites, but there are no decent standard roads out of there. I don't think a causeway or tunnel under the lagoon is the most cost-effective option though. I do think the Jesolo area should have some kind of superstrada to A4.
There's a project for that, "autostrada/superstrada" del mare:
http://www.ilgiornaledivicenza.it/st...n_superstrada/
Old August 8th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #5726
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
When visiting Venice by car, it's anyway cheaper to park on the mainland and take a train.
It depends by the number of people in the car. Autosilos near Mestre station are also costly, plus you have to buy train tickets that obviously are individual.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #5727
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11132

Quote:
I think they should have built an expressway through the city in the 1960s, when that would have been allowed, and then another causeway to the Lido.
You reminded me an old advertizing video

Old August 9th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #5728
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

For me, if there is a train/rail transport system present in that given area, I'll use it as much as possible.

But if there is no train, then that's where the automobile comes in. =)

P.S.
Question:
Where is the google maps location for this one:

The Maserati factory in Grugliasco

Thanks
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #5729
bogdymol
bogdymod

Speaking of car factories... I already have booked tickets to visit Ferrari Museum + Factory next week
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:36 AM   #5730
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Question:
Where is the google maps location for this one:

The Maserati factory in Grugliasco

Thanks
https://maps.google.it/maps?q=corso+...+Piemonte&z=15
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #5731
narkelion
Brentered

Likes (Received): 16520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
It depends. I once quite successfully found a free parking spot within a walking distance of Duomo in Milan. No doubt it helped being Sunday midday.
Now it is impossibile since there is the Area C (kind of Congestion charge like London): you have to pay to enter it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I once found a free parking spot in the centre of Rome for my 7 metre van. Also on a Sunday, 10 minute walk from the Vatican.
Good one! It is not always easy... Sometime I have to search for more than half an hour to find one...
narkelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #5732
Blackraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Thanks

Btw, I did some checking and it seems like a trip between the Grugliasco factory and the Maserati Headquarters in Modena would take around 3 hours or so.

The journey involves a lot of A1/E35 and A21/E70.

Now the new Maserati Quattroporte (Sixth Generation model) has a 3.8 liter Twin Turbo V8 with 530 Horsepower (or CV for our Italian folks) and 650 Newton Meters of Max Torque (up to 710 Nm with the overboost function)

The car has an 8 speed ZF automatic transmission/gearbox. 0-100 km/h in less than five seconds (manufacturer-stated).

Speedometer order in km/h is: 0 20 50 80 110 140 170 200 230 260 290 320 350

Since I use shift using speedometer increments, that would mean that I would be driving at the 200 km/h using 8th gear...................if road traffic conditions are good AND Italian law enforcement officials will let me be.

The journey could only costs 2 hours maximum

Otherwise, since Italian max speed limit is 130-150 km/h, then I could probably drive at the 140 km/h bracket using 6th gear.

If that happens, then maximum of 3 hours total driving time is possible.

@to the Italian forumers here
What do you think? Is it possible?
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #5733
narkelion
Brentered

Quote:
Thanks

Btw, I did some checking and it seems like a trip between the Grugliasco factory and the Maserati Headquarters in Modena would take around 3 hours or so.

The journey involves a lot of A1/E35 and A21/E70.

Since I use shift using speedometer increments, that would mean that I would be driving at the 200 km/h using 8th gear...................if road traffic conditions are good AND Italian law enforcement officials will let me be.

The journey could only costs 2 hours maximum

Otherwise, since Italian max speed limit is 130-150 km/h, then I could probably drive at the 140 km/h bracket using 6th gear.

If that happens, then maximum of 3 hours total driving time is possible.

@to the Italian forumers here
What do you think? Is it possible?
Those highways are controlled by the Tutor system, that checks average speed between two portals. So, it is really dangerous for your license to drive at that speed.

Going at 200km/h in higways means 821€ fine, 10 points less and suspended license for 6 months. I would not try it.

Just a quick thing: there are no higways with 150kph limit: our law permits that, but no-one uses it.
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #5734
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
I hope you know Venice is without cars not because it's still in 19th century, but because it has canals in lieu of roads...
you are missing my point.

all italian cities had to accommodate cars when they appeared (and electricity, and telephone lines). cities equally antique with milenia of history. the carved up streets, boulevards and expressways.

moreover, many other cities in Italy and abroad used to have canals that were filled up, walls that were torn down (and made into major traffic thoroughfares) etc.
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #5735
Blackraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkelion View Post
Those highways are controlled by the Tutor system, that checks average speed between two portals. So, it is really dangerous for your license to drive at that speed.

Going at 200km/h in higways means 821€ fine, 10 points less and suspended license for 6 months. I would not try it.

Just a quick thing: there are no higways with 150kph limit: our law permits that, but no-one uses it.
If that's true, then damn.

With such hefty penalties, I may not leave Italy without facing some criminal charges

Alright then:

How about the 140 km/h bracket @ 6th gear? Surely the local police can still tolerate that, right?
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #5736
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
If that's true, then damn.

With such hefty penalties, I may not leave Italy without facing some criminal charges

Alright then:

How about the 140 km/h bracket @ 6th gear? Surely the local police can still tolerate that, right?
We have 5% tolerance, so you won't be fined until 136km/h. If you drive at 140 all the way you risk the minimum penality, of you drive at 140 just in some moments nothing will happen because the Tutor calculates average speed and not spot speed.
You won't get any criminal charge for speeding, only for DUI or for running away after an accident.
Thanks God we have hefty penalities, I don't like people like you driving at 200 and sending innocent people to hospitals and cemetries.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #5737
Blackraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
We have 5% tolerance, so you won't be fined until 136km/h. If you drive at 140 all the way you risk the minimum penality, of you drive at 140 just in some moments nothing will happen because the Tutor calculates average speed and not spot speed.
You won't get any criminal charge for speeding, only for DUI or for running away after an accident.
Thanks God we have hefty penalities, I don't like people like you driving at 200 and sending innocent people to hospitals and cemetries.
Yo dude, sorry if I sounded like I was a speed freak. Granted 200 Km/h may be a bit of an overkill without me knowing and considering the specifications of the road I would be driving in (i.e. 85th percentile rule)

So I sincerely apologize to you italystf (since it's not really my intention to show recklessness).

I just wanted to know the maximum "legal" AND "allowable" speed that I can drive through the said journey.

Again I'm sorry if ever I offended you (or anyone else for that matter).

Anyways:
@italystf and to other Italians

So you guys mentioned that 140 km/h max speed is still too risky?

How about 110 km/h bracket @ 5th gear?

Still okay?
Old August 9th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #5738
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
moreover, many other cities in Italy and abroad used to have canals that were filled up, walls that were torn down (and made into major traffic thoroughfares) etc.
Yes, and that was wrong.

I'm surprised we're even talking about this.
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #5739
narkelion
Brentered

Quote:
@italystf and to other Italians

So you guys mentioned that 140 km/h max speed is still too risky?

How about 110 km/h bracket @ 5th gear?

Still okay?
140 km/h it's a speed that you can easily use: as I think you know, each car shows a bit more than the real speed, and so 140 km/h showed on the instrument is 135/137 real kph. That keeps you under the legal speed.

Of course, going at that speed, you will see many cars overtaking you, because many people don't follow rules.

Anyway, going less than 10km/h over the speed limit gives you a fine of 39€, and no suspended license.

There are no criminal offences in speed overtaking: as italystf said you can only have them with DUI, running away from an accident or driving with no license.

Moreover, the higways you will drive through are very straight, as you can see from google maps. There are no hard bends or hills to climb/descend.
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #5740
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Yes, and that was wrong.

I'm surprised we're even talking about this.
Some of it was wrong (for example Mussolini's "works" in Rome), but much of it was inevitable. We shouldn't forget that the primary task of the city is for living and doing business not just for tourists to admire how people lived in the past.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways