daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #5761
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
By 2023 there will be 7 road tunnels with two tubes over 10 kilometers in length in Europe. There will even be a 2x3 lane tunnel with a length of 16.5 kilometers, almost the same as the Gotthard Tunnel.
What are these?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #5762
narkelion
Brentered

Likes (Received): 16488

I only know 2:

Gran Sasso and the future Brenner tunnel.
narkelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #5763
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
What are these?
Most of them are in northern Europe. The 16.500 meter 2x3 tunnel is part of the Stockholm bypass, where construction will begin later this year. (the bypass is 21 km long, of which 18 km underground and 16.5 km forms the southern tunnel with an underground interchange).

Then there is the Femern Belt Tunnel between Denmark and Germany, a twin-tube 2x2 tunnel with shoulders which is 18.2 kilometers long. There is also the 14.3 km Ryfylke Tunnel in Norway, a twin-tube tunnel which is currently under construction (the first explosives were used just this week) and will open in 2018.

But the big bang is the Bokna Fjord Tunnel in Norway which will begin construction in 2015. It will be a twin-tube tunnel with an underground interchange that is a staggering 26.5 kilometers long. It is both the longest and deepest tunnel in the world.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Coccodrillo liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #5764
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Meanwhile, Italy can't put its act together to build a mere 4km long suspension bridge
Old August 18th, 2013, 03:47 AM   #5765
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

there is also some Turkish very long double tubed tunnel, i forgot the name, but i think they have recently began the construction.
however, i still think that at least half of those projects won't be realized in next 10 years. especially i doubt about D-DK tunnel.
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #5766
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
there is also some Turkish very long double tubed tunnel, i forgot the name, but i think they have recently began the construction.
however, i still think that at least half of those projects won't be realized in next 10 years. especially i doubt about D-DK tunnel.
I think you can be quite sure they will be constructed before 2023. All of these projects already have government approval. The Femern Belt Tunnel is going through the last stage of environmental approval and construction will begin in 2015. The Bokna Fjord Tunnel is also going through environmental approval and the Stockholm Bypass Tunnel will begin construction late 2013, both have completion dates of 2023.

The Turkish tunnel is the Mount Ovit Tunnel, which is 14.7 kilometers long and under construction since May 2012. But it is not in Europe.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #5767
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkelion View Post
I only know 2:

Gran Sasso and the future Brenner tunnel.
Although there is a 2x2 road tunnel at the summit of the Brenner Autobahn, the future Brenner base tunnel is for railway.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #5768
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

The A31 Vicenza - Trento will include a 15km twin-tubes tunnel but unfortunately it won't open before 2023.
A "service tube" of the Frejus tunnel is U/C and there are rumors that it can become a traffic tube in the future.
There was a project of a Transalpine motorway from Brescia to Kempten via Austria with serveral 20km+ tunnels but of course is pure science fiction.
They also planned a 15km E-W tunnel below Milan with 6 underground interchanges and a 9km tunnel below the A57 in Mestre.
I've also seen an old (1980s) plan of an underground 10km motorway below Trieste from Prosecco junction to the port with several underground junctions in the city (again, very science-fiction like).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Last edited by italystf; August 18th, 2013 at 11:09 AM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #5769
narkelion
Brentered

Quote:
Although there is a 2x2 road tunnel at the summit of the Brenner Autobahn, the future Brenner base tunnel is for railway.
Oh, you're right! Actually I thought that the Brenner basis tunnel was for road traffic, and Ghottard basis for railway. But in facts they are both for railway.
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #5770
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkelion View Post
Oh, you're right! Actually I thought that the Brenner basis tunnel was for road traffic, and Ghottard basis for railway. But in facts they are both for railway.
You are probably mistaking with the Variante di Valico Bologna - Florence that will include a 8km tunnel to cross the Appennins at roughly 400m instead of the 700m of the A1 today. Opening 2015.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #5771
narkelion
Brentered

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
You are probably mistaking with the Variante di Valico Bologna - Florence that will include a 8km tunnel to cross the Appennins at roughly 400m instead of the 700m of the A1 today. Opening 2015.
Actually, no. I was sure about brenner tunnel, but I don't know why.
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #5772
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

It's much easier to ventilate tunnels used only by electric railways. I wonder what is the practical limit for highway tunnels now. Won't be a problem any longer when/if we move to electric propulsion.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #5773
Coccodrillo

The Laerdal and Rogfast tunnels are or will be around 25 km long, but with low traffic (around 2000 vehicles per day on the Laerdal tunnel), so ventilation is dimensioned to that traffic.

As far I know, the ventilation system of the Gotthard road tunnel was dimensioned for two lanes, but it is now said to be sufficient for two tubes and four lanes (with a few adaptations).

I think the limit of road tunnels' length is not technical, but economical (cost of ventilation system) and psychological (fear of staying underground for a lot of time).

Old August 18th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #5774
italystf

Quote:
I think the limit of road tunnels' length is not technical, but economical (cost of ventilation system) and psychological (fear of staying underground for a lot of time).
This is probably why the Channel Tunnel and the Seikan Tunnel (both over 50km) are just railway tunnels with rail shuttles for cars.
Old August 18th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #5775
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

What make very long road tunnels particularly expensive are the fire prevention and mitigation measures.

A railway carrying only passengers on electric trains has a limited potential for fire damage compared to thermo-activated trucks, tires, butter, fuel tanks etc.

I'm not totally sure, but I think there are restrictions about train hazmat and passenger trains travel at the same time on the Sempione and Frejus tunnels, aren't there?
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #5776
Coccodrillo

Just two off topic precisions:

* the Seikan tunnel doesn't have car shuttles, and even if it had them, its loading gauge wouldn't allow high trucks to be transported

* as far I know there are no limitations on the Sempione-Simplon and Fréjus rail tunnels, however the first is a double tube tunnel, the second has a low passenger traffic volume (just 6 trains a day); there are no restrictions in the Gotthard rail tunnel but again the danger is limited as within 4 years most traffic will divert to the new and safer tunnel

Old August 21st, 2013, 11:52 AM   #5777
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

A video of Complanare di Senigallia, a new road opened in Senigallia beside the A14, built within the enlargement works of the autostrada. First half of the road opened last 22 June, second half is still in construction:

g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:09 PM   #5778
narkelion
Brentered

Oh, so that's what that road was... I was travelling from S.Benedetto del Tronto to Ravenna some days ago, and I saw that road beside the highway...

Interesting!

I'm still waiting for the complanari on A24 from Togliatti to the toll in Roma Est, they should be ready for May 2014.
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:53 PM   #5779
Nikolaj

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think you can be quite sure they will be constructed before 2023. All of these projects already have government approval. The Femern Belt Tunnel is going through the last stage of environmental approval and construction will begin in 2015. The Bokna Fjord Tunnel is also going through environmental approval and the Stockholm Bypass Tunnel will begin construction late 2013, both have completion dates of 2023.

The Turkish tunnel is the Mount Ovit Tunnel, which is 14.7 kilometers long and under construction since May 2012. But it is not in Europe.
Just adding to Chris' comments, the tendering process on the Femernbelt tunnel is well under way. The prequalification process has been completed, and 9 large contractor consortias have been selected to submit bids. Bids for the tunnel construction will be submitted early 2014 according to the plan.

http://www.femern.com/service-menu/p...al-contractors

Further to add all EIA documentation has been prepared, and on the Danish side the final public hearing is running from 28 June 2013 - 20 September 2013
http://vvmdocumentation.femern.com/
Nikolaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:13 AM   #5780
italystf

Western beginning of the future Pedemontana Veneta (tolled expressway, de facto motorway apart for the 110 speed limit between Montecchio Maggiore and Conegliano connecting A4, A31, A27 and A28).

Opening planned for 2016 but it won't be useful for international traffic until they build the Pedemontana Friulana (A28 Cimpello - A23 Gemona), that it's still in planning stage.

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways