daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #5781
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Roundabout interchanges on tolled motorways

In most motorways that use the closed toll system, exits are built as trumpet interchanges, that allow to group all 4 ramps (2 on ramps and 2 off ramps) in a single toll barrier. Roundabout interchanges are commonly used on untolled sections of motorway. Some more recent tolled motorways, like the Passante di Mestre or the Valdastico Sud, however have also exits with rondabout interchanges, with 4 small toll barriers (2 inbound, where you take the ticket and 2 outbound where you pay).
The roundabout interchange requires less land consumption and shorter detours to enter\leave the motorway.

Trumpet interchange

Roundabout interchange

In most Italian roundabout interchanges the roundabout is located below the motorway. On A31 the roundabouts are above, but there isn't practical difference.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #5782
bogdymol
bogdymod

Roundabout motorway exits are very good, but not for tolled motorways. You need to build 4 separate tolling stations on at a roundabout exit, instead of just 1 at the trumpet exit.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #5783
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

At the end of the day, physical tool booths are a thing of the past. They should do away with them, and adopt electronic or plate-based toll only.

I recognized, though, a positive unintended consequence of the expansive and expensive toll plaza space requirments in Italy: it avoids the building of excessive number of exists, which makes the autostrade less prone to become urban expressways for medium-sized cities.

g.spinoza liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #5784
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19424

EU should really move forward with license plate tolls and enforcement of bills sent to foreign drivers.

Congestion at toll plazas is entirely unacceptable. You don't want to be stuck in traffic to pay those tolls. A colleague of mine went to Croatia and had to wait an hour to pay about € 1 in tolls. Totally not worth it.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

g.spinoza liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #5785
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

The Pennsylvania Turnpike has opened three (that I know of) exits/entrances in the Philadelphia suburbs in the last few years that are E-ZPass only.* They're also incentivizing E-ZPass use by, when they increase tolls, increasing mostly the cash rate.
Hasn't the 407 outside Toronto been electronic-only since it opened about 20 years ago?
I believe the much newer Inter-County Connector in suburban Washington is E-ZPass only

*I'm not sure how I feel about that...making certain options completely unavailable to people without the pass...but in this instance there are other exits close by and the E-ZPass-only exits are at office parks where most of the users would be commuters.

All of which has nothing to do with Italy....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #5786
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Most open road tolling facilities with no cash options send out bills to drivers without transponders. That way you can still use the toll road without needing to register a transponder, but it will be a bit more expensive due to handling fees.

Most European toll roads do have some kind of free-flow transponder system, but these are often not interesting for tourists and incidental travelers because of the annual subscription fee and the requirement of a physical transponder in the car. Only Norway and Portugal have entirely free-flow, non-transponder toll systems.
Old August 24th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #5787
dpp33

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
EU should really move forward with license plate tolls and enforcement of bills sent to foreign drivers.

Congestion at toll plazas is entirely unacceptable. You don't want to be stuck in traffic to pay those tolls. A colleague of mine went to Croatia and had to wait an hour to pay about € 1 in tolls. Totally not worth it.
If he was at Lučko, he could have used the Demerje toll station for bank cards and avoided the wait.
dpp33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #5788
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpp33 View Post
If he was at Lučko, he could have used the Demerje toll station for bank cards and avoided the wait.
it must have been Bobovica (Bregana). foreigners in 99% pay more than 1€ at Lučko. maybe Rupa or something at A9, but there tolls don't make jams.
also, jams at Bobovica toll station are always combined with jams at border crossing.
Old August 24th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #5789
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It was near Rijeka, probably from Slovenia. Can't blame her though, it was her first time paying tolls ever
Old August 24th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #5790
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

so Rupa at A7. weird, I hear for the first time 1 h waiting time there (even 10 min waiting time would sound weird to me there). i used it only 2 times, it is very off route for me.
Old August 25th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #5791
italystf

Is there a specific name for this kind of interchange?
https://maps.google.it/maps?q=Azzano...ia+Giulia&z=16

I guess this one is a particular case with no specific name
https://maps.google.it/maps?q=Azzano...ia+Giulia&z=16
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old August 25th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #5792
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The first is a partial cloverleaf, or parclo. They are quite common in the Netherlands since the 1970s. The second is a mix between a trumpet and partial cloverleaf.
Old August 25th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #5793
italystf

This in an incomplete cloverleaf, the expressway is planned towards West
https://maps.google.it/maps?q=udine&...gl=it&t=h&z=15

This is a short of rounabout interchange (with a "roundabout" shaped like an 8. Is there a specific name?
https://maps.google.it/maps?q=udine&...gl=it&t=h&z=17

Partial cloverleaf with an additional right-turn ramp
https://maps.google.it/maps?q=udine&...gl=it&t=h&z=16

2 trumpet interchanges combined

???

Another kind of partial cloverleaf
https://maps.google.it/maps?q=udine&...gl=it&t=h&z=17
Old August 27th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #5794
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Here, according to the signs you can go both straight or left but if you go straight you have to pass a solid white line and enter the yellow lane.
https://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&ll...90.15,,0,12.88
Is difficult to read, but under the off traffic lights there is wrote "when the traffic light is red, or flashing, mandatory direction (turn) on left"

The italian highway code appoint that the traffic lights and vertical traffic signs were apply over a contrasting orizontal signs...
So the road is 2-way system when the traffic lights is turned off, and one-way (lane reserved to bus and taxi) when is turned on
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #5795
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 187

I've seen the photos of A32 (some pages back), amazing! I've run A32 twice, at first and late of 2000-decade... (the first time the stretch between Oulx and Bardonecchia was still to a one carriageway withy 3 lane!)
But I didn't remember that the shoulder/emergency lane was so narrow at the final stretch...
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #5796
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Yesterday the tender contract for the link Ancona harbour-A14 has been signed, the so called "West exit".
Contractor is a temporary association made by Impregilo-Astaldi-Pizzarotti-Itinera. Cost is 479,8 M€.
This is the project:
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #5797
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17507

There will be two long tunells on this link ?
Old August 28th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #5798
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Yes, this is the description:

Quote:
The project consists in a high capacity link among Ancona harbour, A14 motorway and SS16. The new road will connect to the existent harbour roads - near Via Enrico Mattei - by a new junction with Asse Attrezzato road, with connections also to the new dockyards and the old harbour.

The road begins with a viaduct and, basically straight, overpasses existing railroad near Ancona Centrale station, enters Palombella cliff by means of a tunnel, close to the former Benincasa school. Exiting from the tunnel, the road runs for 250 m halfway up the hill then bends westward, entering the second tunnel (3 km long). At the exit, the road continues inside Valle Lunga (Long Valley) to its south terminus, where toll booth and junction with A14 are located. Connection with SS16 is realized by means of a new road, along Barcaglione creek to the Madonna del Carmine junction.
translated from Anconanotizie
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #5799
bogdymol
bogdymod

Raccordo Gorizia - Villese, future A34 motorway.

Last exit in Slovenia on H4:

Entering Italy from Slovenia:

First exit in Italy:

Good-looking bridge:

The entire motorway is limited to 60 km/h and 1 lane. I almost felt asleep while driving so slow...

Too many speed limit signs:

Entering A4 in direction Venezia:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

hofburg, Verso, Galro liked this post

Last edited by bogdymol; August 28th, 2013 at 09:06 PM.
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #5800
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I see they opened the section between the new toll station and interchange with A4 itself. The MILANO on the asphalt is new, I wonder if it will apear also on signs?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways