daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:15 PM   #5881
bogdymol
bogdymod

A sign showing information about the works on A1. Maybe an Italian forumer will give more details about this works. I saw some new viaducts and tunnels almost completed close to A1.

Lots of destinations written here:

Exiting A1 near Firenze and going to Fi-Pi-Li 'blue autostrada':

Toll booths before Fi-Pi-Li:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

hofburg, Autobahn-mann, cinxxx liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:17 PM   #5882
bogdymol
bogdymod

Entering the Fi-Pi-Li 'blue autostrada':

hofburg, Autobahn-mann liked this post
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:20 PM   #5883
bogdymol
bogdymod

Here I think it's a design fault with this up&down road. Even on google.maps you can see it.

Arriving in Pisa:

hofburg, Autobahn-mann, Mircea_dogy liked this post
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:22 PM   #5884
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

FIPILI is no blue autostrada, not even a primary road, just a secondary one. It is loaded with traffic, though.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:33 PM   #5885
bogdymol
bogdymod

Fi-Pi-Li is a blue autostrada, as this sign says (sorry, but my photographer missed half of the sign). But you are right, it's very congested, but this is because is a free conection between Firenze and Pisa.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:57 PM   #5886
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
A sign showing information about the works on A1. Maybe an Italian forumer will give more details about this works. I saw some new viaducts and tunnels almost completed close to A1.
It's variante di valico, a new alignment of A1 between Firenze and Bologna - actually between Sasso Marconi and Barberino di Mugello. It's due to be completed in 2015, hopefully.

Quote:
Fi-Pi-Li is a blue autostrada, as this sign says (sorry, but my photographer missed half of the sign). But you are right, it's very congested, but this is because is a free conection between Firenze and Pisa.
That sign is actually wrong. That sign is reserved for "strada extraurbana principale" - primary extra-urban road", while FIPILI is "strada extraurbana secondaria".
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:03 PM   #5887
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It's variante di valico, a new alignment of A1 between Firenze and Bologna - actually between Sasso Marconi and Barberino di Mugello. It's due to be completed in 2015, hopefully.
Will this new alignment be for one carriageway, while the other carriageway will remain on the old alignment, or it will be for both directions?
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:20 PM   #5888
bogdymol
bogdymod

Some pictures with the same Fi-Pi-Li, but this time in the other direction, from Pisa to Firenze:

The speed limit is 100 km/h and there are many speed cameras:

Firenze is ahead:

Exit to A1 autostrada:

Special picture for g.spinoza - Fi-Pi-Li ending in Firenze:

Autobahn-mann, Suburbanist liked this post
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:21 PM   #5889
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Will this new alignment be for one carriageway, while the other carriageway will remain on the old alignment, or it will be for both directions?
Both alignments will be open in both directions.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:22 PM   #5890
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
but only for cars. old route remains active for the trucks, if i understood correct
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:25 PM   #5891
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 187

[QUOTE=hofburg;106707698]I do
QUOTE]
Also I do
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:25 PM   #5892
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Will the new aligment feature 3+3 lanes? What will happen with the old alignment?
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:28 PM   #5893
Autobahn-mann

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
No... this attitude is due to the fact that in Italy there are more trucks on the highways than the rest of Europe on an avarage.

During the week it is quite normal to see on the main motorways the right lane completely packed of trucks in a neverending queue running at 80 km/h
Every vehicle which run at higher speed pratically don't use it.

And that's why IMO Italians are not used to drive on the right lane even when it is free.

Authorities are aware of this attitude too and many signs warn to keep the right lane
It's ok, but during the weekend or when there isn't the "elephant running" (for german way to say the jam on right lane of the heavy vehicles) should be used but it's not!
my idea is that the controls, persuasion, information and an increase in the rate of sanctions should be done
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:32 PM   #5894
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Don't know what to add. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Quote:
Quote:
It's a bit more complicated than that:
- La Quercia-Aglio stretch (37 km): an entirely new alignment where drivers can choose between new road (2+2) and old alignment (2+2).
- Aglio-Barberino stretch (6 km): only the south carriageway (3 lanes) will be built anew; the existing stretch (both current carriageways) will be adapted and transformed into new north carriageway (4 lanes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
but only for cars. old route remains active for the trucks, if i understood correct
I heard that too, but I'm not sure how are they gonna enforce this.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:38 PM   #5895
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
- La Quercia-Aglio stretch (37 km): an entirely new alignment where drivers can choose between new road (2+2) and old alignment (2+2).
So there will be 2 paralel motorways. Will both be tolled? If yes, will the price be the same?

Quote:
- Aglio-Barberino stretch (6 km): only the south carriageway (3 lanes) will be built anew; the existing stretch (both current carriageways) will be adapted and transformed into new north carriageway (4 lanes).
So it will have a 3+4 configuration on this 6 km.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:40 PM   #5896
Autobahn-mann

Quote:

What?
the signal at the end of the main highroad with an additional panel that says "secondary country road"?
WTF?
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:42 PM   #5897
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

Quote:
- La Quercia-Aglio stretch (37 km)
funny names
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:43 PM   #5898
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

As far I know, it is predicted that trucks will use mainly the new road (except hazmat), cars mainly the old one. I don't know about toll level except that both will be tolled and traffic restriction (except probably for hazmat because of the 2x2, 8 km base tunnel).

In a second phase another part of new southbound carriageway will be built, including an 8 km tunnel, leaving the old one for northbound traffic.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:57 PM   #5899
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

I really liked the name FI-PI-LI (Which stands for Florence-Pisa-Livorno). I only have been in the last few meters of the Livorno (Leghorn?) branch. The international section of CBRD jokingly suggested merging it with the RA03 for a nice SI (Siena)-FI-PI-LI .

The Variante di Valico was already U/C when I visited Italy back in 2010. But knowing how Italy is, I don't expect it is much more advanced now.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:04 PM   #5900
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
So there will be 2 paralel motorways. Will both be tolled? If yes, will the price be the same?
Yes, both will be tolled, I think prices will be the same but I'm not sure...

Quote:
So it will have a 3+4 configuration on this 6 km.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
funny names
La Quercia -> oaktree
Aglio -> garlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
As far I know, it is predicted that trucks will use mainly the new road (except hazmat), cars mainly the old one. I don't know about toll level except that both will be tolled and traffic restriction (except probably for hazmat because of the 2x2, 8 km base tunnel).
Yes, but with my car I'm not going to take the old curvy stretch while there's a state-of-the-art new motorway at hand. Not unless they point a gun at me. That's what I mean when I said "not sure how they're gonna enforce it".

Quote:
In a second phase another part of new southbound carriageway will be built, including an 8 km tunnel, leaving the old one for northbound traffic.
[/quote]
Not part of Variante di Valico though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
The Variante di Valico was already U/C when I visited Italy back in 2010. But knowing how Italy is, I don't expect it is much more advanced now.
Ah-ha, very funny.
As a matter of fact many stretches are practically ready to be opened. Unfortunately, it's all or nothing, so a delay on a little piece of work is going to affect the opening day of the whole autostrada.

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways