daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:09 PM   #5901
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
The Variante di Valico was already U/C when I visited Italy back in 2010. But knowing how Italy is, I don't expect it is much more advanced now.
While driving I saw some tunnels and viaducts that looked 99% ready paralel to the autostrada I was driving on. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of them because of the side guardrails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Unfortunately, it's all or nothing, so a delay on a little piece of work is going to affect the opening day of the whole autostrada.
This will be one of the largest motorway openings in one day in Italy.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:14 PM   #5902
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19412

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
This will be one of the largest motorway openings in one day in Italy.
14 April 1973: 364 kilometers of A14 opens in one day (two stretches; 167 and 197 km).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:38 PM   #5903
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Most tunnels are also complete, including the 8.5 km Valico tunnels and the 2.6 km Sparvo tunnels. Not sure about the Val di Sambro ones (3.8 km), where all the trouble with landslide is. 51% of the whole autostrada lies on tunnels
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 01:11 AM   #5904
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
The speed limit is 100 km/h and there are many speed cameras:

Quote:
That sign is actually wrong. That sign is reserved for "strada extraurbana principale" - primary extra-urban road", while FIPILI is "strada extraurbana secondaria".
Some precisations to foreigners:

In Italy "strada extraurbana principale" is the technical and legal name for expressway (superstrada). The speed limit is 110 unless otherwise posted (but no higher than 110). Only vehicles that are allowed on autostrade can drive here.

Strada extraurbana secondaria is just any road outside city limits that it's not a motorway or a strada extraurbana principale. The speed limit is 90 unless otherwise posted (but no higher than 90). All vehicles and pedestrians are allowed unless otherwise posted. However some expressways are classificated as strade extraurbane secondarie because of lower standards: for example the FI-PI-LI, the FI-SI, the A1-Perugia, the Padova ringroad, the old raccordo A4-Gorizia, part of the Sardinian Y,...

Are you sure you saw a 100 speed limit on the Fi-PI-LI? It would be very weird since the maximum allowed by law would be 90.

Before entering a strada extraurbana principale you should have this sign:

When you leave it:

If a strada extraurbana secondaria is restricted to non-motorized traffic you should have these signs:

So, the sign above in Florence is simply wrong because they used on a "strada extraurbana secondaria" a sign reserved to a "strada extraurbana principale". The integrative panel below with "strada extraurbana secondaria" doesn't exist in the highway code and it's wrong.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

hofburg, bogdymol liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 01:44 AM   #5905
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2206

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
The Variante di Valico was already U/C when I visited Italy back in 2010. But knowing how Italy is, I don't expect it is much more advanced now.
Seeing as most of it is on a viaduct or in a tunnel in geologically adverse conditions and in an earthquake zone .....it is very advanced.

Bing maps aerial imagery shows most of the major structures are done. The imagery is from 2011
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:37 AM   #5906
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

A scheme for Variante di Valico

bogdymol liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:41 AM   #5907
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Green = original alignment
Orange = widening
Grey = decommissioned (look at old and new roadway here http://goo.gl/maps/Wf5gg)
Yellow = new roadway
Red = connections with local road networks
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:32 AM   #5908
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Are you sure you saw a 100 speed limit on the Fi-PI-LI? It would be very weird since the maximum allowed by law would be 90.
You are right. The speed limit was 90 km/h. But the 'blue autostrada' signs where there... you saw them in the pictures.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:20 AM   #5909
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
While driving I saw some tunnels and viaducts that looked 99% ready paralel to the autostrada I was driving on. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of them because of the side guardrails.
Completion percentages (updated 12.06.2013):

Casalecchio - Sasso Marconi (lot 0, 4.1 km) 100%
Sasso Marconi - La Quercia (lots 1,2,3,4, 19.4 km) 100%

these two stretches are already open since 2009 and 2007, respectively.

La Quercia - Badia Nuova (lot 5a, 7.6 km) 92.7%
La Quercia - Badia Nuova (lot 5b, 3.3 km) 74%
La Quercia - Badia Nuova (lots 6,7, 6.6 km) 69,2% (this is where Ripoli landslide is)
Badia Nuova - Aglio galleria di base (lots 9,10,11, 11.2 km) 94.5%
Badia Nuova - Aglio svincolo di Barberino (lot 12, 4.5 km) 100%
Aglio - Barberino (lot 13, 6.1 km) 95.8%

Total advancement: 86%
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:22 AM   #5910
bogdymol
bogdymod

When is the expected opening date?
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:26 AM   #5911
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

End 2015. I think they could open before this date, but probably Ripoli landslide suggests more caution.

EDIT: Autostrade per l'Italia plans on opening in 2014, but the contract with banks financing the works expires in 2015 (just in case )
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:38 AM   #5912
italystf

Quote:
You are right. The speed limit was 90 km/h. But the 'blue autostrada' signs where there... you saw them in the pictures.
These signs are probably old. Until 1992 there was no clear distinction between Autostrada, Strada extraurbana principale and Strada extraurbana secondaria.
So the SS280 (A3-Catanzaro), that is a strada extraurbana principale, has motorway signs:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Catan...00.87,,0,-3.02
Same the SS202 (Sopraelevata di Trieste)
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Tries...32.36,,0,-6.03
Tangenziale Est di Roma (Circonvallazione Salaria) (This isn't even an expressway, but a strada urbana di scorrimento - main urban artery)
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=roma&...56.71,,0,-1.46

Back to the FI-PI-LI, there were discussions in the past to classificate it as "strada extraurbana principale" and raise the speed limit to 110. But finally they didn't do it with the excuse of too many accidents there. I think they kept the 90 speed limit to earn more money with speed traps (who drives less than 90 on an empty freeway?)
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Last edited by italystf; September 3rd, 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:47 AM   #5913
narkelion
Brentered

Likes (Received): 16513

The same works also for SS1 Aurelia (from Tarquinia towards north), SS148 Pontina and many others...
Urban Area: 100611
Metropolitan Area: 175818

2nd in Marche / 44th in Italy / n-th in European Union per popolazione
1st in Marche / 18th in Italy per qualità della vita
narkelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:50 AM   #5914
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
(who drives less than 90 on an empty freeway?)
Since I was fined on E45, I do
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:55 AM   #5915
bogdymol
bogdymod

But Fi-Pi-Li si not an empty freeway. It has lots of traffic, but sometimes you can go faster. I drove all the time with about 95 km/h (on my dashboard, so less on the speed cameras).
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:59 AM   #5916
narkelion
Brentered

Quote:
Tangenziale Est di Roma (Circonvallazione Salaria) (This isn't even an expressway, but a strada urbana di scorrimento - main urban artery)
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=roma&...56.71,,0,-1.46

Tangenziale Est is not a freeway or a Motorway. All the road is 2+2 lanes with emergency lane, but the speed limit is 70 (in some part is 50 or 40) and signs are white.

Those in green are completely misleading... They refers to the A24 stretch from Verano to the toll in Roma EST. But it's actually a motorway controlled by a private society called Strada dei Parchi S.p.A.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:14 PM   #5917
italystf

Quote:
But Fi-Pi-Li si not an empty freeway. It has lots of traffic, but sometimes you can go faster. I drove all the time with about 95 km/h (on my dashboard, so less on the speed cameras).
Maybe at night or outside rush hour isn't so busy so the 90 speed limit is nonsense. Also on a 4x2 lanes motorway sometimes you have to drive slow because of congestion but a permanent low speed limit doesn't make sense.
90 is the speed limit in many 1+1 roads with curves, intersections, driveways,... I don't see why a 2x2 grade-separated highway should have the same speed limit.

Quote:
I mean who would drive so slow unless for the fear of fines.
The E45-SSbis, although being a "strada extraurbana principale" has the 90 speed limit (in most of for its entire lenght, don't remember) probably because of bad pavement and sharp curves especially in the Verghereto section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkelion View Post
The same works also for SS1 Aurelia (from Tarquinia towards north), SS148 Pontina and many others...
The SS1 Tarquinia-Grosseto couldn't be classificate as "strada extraurbana principale" because it has private driveways.
The SS148 Roma-Latina is 2x2 fully grade-separated but few years ago was downgraded from s.e. principale (110) to s.e. secondaria (90) because of substandard design and high accident rate.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:23 PM   #5918
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
Quote:
That's a good situation to have cruise control and set it to a speed and cruise .
I did it when the motorways in Bavaria were limited to 80 because of blow-up risk. Set it to 90 and achieved a great fuel consumption around 3L/100 in 6th gear. Still very boring to drive like that

In Germany I don't usually go more than 20 over the limit. On national roads when possible I drive on dashboard 115-120 (while limit is 100), maybe more when overtaking. On motorways I usually set +10..15, but on many occasions I also have to drive slower than the limit if congested, that's ok though, I prefer to go wit the flow on 60-80 limitations.

I will drive in Italy in a month in weekend trip to Venice. Was thinking to go +5..10 (dashboard) over the limit but not more. I did the same in Switzerland and it was ok.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:30 PM   #5919
narkelion
Brentered

Quote:

The SS148 Roma-Latina is 2x2 fully grade-separated but few years ago was downgraded from s.e. principale (110) to s.e. secondaria (90) because of substandard design and high accident rate.
Yes, I know, but instead of fixing the road, they lower the speed limit. It isn't a really fair behavior...
Urban Area: 100611
Metropolitan Area: 175818

2nd in Marche / 44th in Italy / n-th in European Union per popolazione
1st in Marche / 18th in Italy per qualità della vita
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:00 PM   #5920
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3841

No money no party
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags