daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #581
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I've seen video, it was on news. Interesting, how easily did the truck cut through middle barrier onto other side of motorway. And I always thought, that Italian metal barriers are the strongest one. At least they look like that. Seems like, they aren't that safe.

Also, upgrading to 2x3 arangement from Venezia to Palmanova is very necessary. Huge amount of trucks are more and more making big problems.

Anyone,who wants to see video of this terrible accident from traffic camera, look at youtube under "incidente trieste venezia".
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #582
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

Wow, that's bad. Why did that truck just move to the left? Was the trucker blacked-out? Well, seeing that explosion, the truth is probably hard to investigate. It surprises me how easy the truck runs through the central barrier. We have those too in the Netherlands, however these kind of accidents almost never happen.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #583
ChrisZwolle
Road user

On another video, I saw that barrier was only 1 row. If a truck is crashing through a barrier, it surely shouldn't be with this kind of speed. They are supposed to be nearly stopped.
Old August 12th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #584
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 923

that was one of the most horrific things I've seen on TV

how could that happen ...
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #585
keber

Probably front left tire exploded. You don't need much for that kind of accident.
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #586
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Probably front left tire exploded. You don't need much for that kind of accident.
Seems plausible. The pressure of the explosion alone can damage a car driving next to it. To be frank, it also almost looks like a suicide attempt.
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #587
Skyprince
Asian boi

Italian highways are kewl

I think there is something "weird" about this kind of signboard ( as shown below ) - I think it wud be better if they use lower case , plus adding more places on the board. That will be kewler !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post

Afrit Magliano:
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #588
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
To be frank, it also almost looks like a suicide attempt.
Yeah, he targeted the truck on the other side...
(I don't think a tire defect could cause such a violent direction change)

Last edited by H123Laci; August 12th, 2008 at 11:36 AM.
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #589
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
well, i'm thinking aboutit for some time but somehow allways i give up because i rarely drive outside of Croatia, and here i know each goat path
Well, it's time to drive more often...

I prefer austria... (sorry italians... )
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #590
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, at least, I don't remember but are there any tables/maps/etc with Italian traffic volumes?
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #591
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

a thursday i'll make a journey in central and south Italy - i hope i'll do lots of photos of A1, A3, A24 and A14, just as SS76, SS3, SS75 and SS690
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #592
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3454

Nice pics from the way to the Mont Blanc. I drove that same way this summer
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #593
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

On some Italian gantry signs the arrows may point upwards, while they points downwards on other signs. Is there a reson for this? Do this occure for a reason or is it just a different design?
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #594
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
(I don't think a tire defect could cause such a violent direction change)
Actually, if you've missed "in other news", this week 13 people died in bus in USA, which drove off the road because of tire puncture.

Really, tire puncture can easily cause that sort of accident. Rarely, but if, then violently.
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #595
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsko View Post
On some Italian gantry signs the arrows may point upwards, while they points downwards on other signs. Is there a reson for this? Do this occure for a reason or is it just a different design?
Philosophy is like this: arrows point upward and left, if gantries are far from exit and down left (like: "you turn right very soon"), if they are close to exit ("now you turn on right exit lane")
Old August 15th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #596
trainspotting
trainspotting

Likes (Received): 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i have a question - are those blue lanes at toll stations (viacard) reserved for card payment (including credit cards)?
Yep; and yellow lanes reserver for TelePass (i have rechargeable TP).
There are also double-way tool stations, where you can pay with viacard and by Telepass client device, or cash pay + telepass toll stations.

MY IgnoreList UPDATED MAY 2016 (#10)

I VERI campioni NON giocano a pallone da calcio.
Old August 15th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #597
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
Well, it's time to drive more often...

I prefer austria... (sorry italians... )
How can we blame you, the landscape is like Hungary and the language is easier...
Old August 15th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #598
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
that was one of the most horrific things I've seen on TV

how could that happen ...
That's one old stretch of A4
I guess it was one of those "easy removing" barrr that could backup as emergency runways. It is no longer necessart. The standard, twin barrier with bracings would have stopped the vehicle.

Anyway...it swerved wildly so I guess we can rule out booze.A flat tire is na option, or a suspension braking. or just pot..pushing hime to avoid something that ---uhm---was not there.

Again I can rule it out. People can do that and much worse but the basic problem is a "no compromise" economy wanting everything and right now, the main cause of labor accidents in this country. I guess it was sleep deprivation. The guy thought he was hitting the cehicle in front of him, while it was still far away. Foreignn freighters are the courier of choice because of lower price, but there's little means to enforce the law upon them. Suggestion from other hi-intensity-traffic countries are welcome.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:41 PM   #599
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 923

what was the cause of the accident? did they find out already?
Old August 30th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #600
trainspotting
trainspotting

Likes (Received): 207

MOTORWAY A20 MESSINA-PALERMO (ITALY)

Hi.
I'm opening this thread because maybe many people (mostly italians) care about this motorway linkin' the Messina Strait to Palermo.
Here can be posted news about the management and maintenance of this road. We can discuss for a while this artery that me and other autists run it usually or seldom.

This motorway (or highway) uses pay tolls and it was completed in December 21th 2004. It's a very important road for the Region of Sicily, because connect Palermo to Messina Strait, necessary for who goes to Calabria or other regions. It was calculated a traffic of about 21 millions vehicles in the year 2003. It runs along two Provinces: Messina and Palermo.

The first road segment, the Messina Beltway with the following exits is toll-free. The exits are: Messina Sud - Tremestieri, Messina San Filippo, Messina Gazzi, Messina Centro, Messina Boccetta, Messina Giostra (in costruzione) Messina Annunziata (in costruzione) e Messina Nord - Villafranca Tirrena.

The existing Stations, or Service Areas beside the motorway are

To Strait/Calabria: Caracoli, Acquedolci Sud, Tindari, Olivarella Sud, Divieto.
To Palermo: Divieto , Tindari, Caracoli.

The main tool barriers are located between Villafranca Tirrena exit and Buonfornello exit and at every other exit/entry junction. Once upon a time there was the Furiano tool barrier, but temporary gate before the activation of all pay toll barrier included in the lane between Furiano (ME) and Buonfornello (PA).

All exits or entries junctions between Messina and Palermo Beltways are: Messina Nord-Villafranca Tirrena, Rometta, Milazzo-Isole Eolie, Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto, Falcone, Patti, Brolo, Capo d'Orlando, Rocca di Capri Leone, Sant'Agata di Militello, Furiano (temporary and no longer active), Reitano-Santo Stefano di Camastra, Tusa, Castelbuono, Cefalù, Buonfornello-Interc. A19-Termini Imerese Est, Agglomerato Industriale, Termini Imerese, Trabia, Altavilla Milicia, Casteldaccia, Bagheria, Villabate.

MY IgnoreList UPDATED MAY 2016 (#10)

I VERI campioni NON giocano a pallone da calcio.

Last edited by trainspotting; September 14th, 2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Adjust title
trainspotting no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways