daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #6021
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post
Folks,
2. Further west now, near to Turin. This photo shows two of my pet hates about driving on Italian autostradas: 1) Note the car sitting in lane 2 even though lane 1 is clear. Italian car drivers seem to have an aversion to using lane 1, even when it's clear. Maybe this has something to do with 2) There are three forward lanes here, but the arrows (now pointing down) only show Torino reachable in the left-hand two lanes here. There is no lane drop, though the signage might suggest so if you're not used to this quirk. This happens all over the place, and I constantly found myself changing lanes in case I got stuck in an exit-only lane.
image hosted on flickr

IMG_2637 by csd75, on Flickr

4. One positive thing about the A32 is the introduction of exit numbers. This is the only Italian autostrada I've seen with this -- does anyone know if it is being extended across the rest of the network? As a non-local, I always find it easier to remember an exit number than an exit name, especially when it's in a foreign language.

New exit numbering, A32 by csd75, on Flickr

/csd
It's the first time that I've seen a 130 km/h speed limit signs! It's the general speed limit, but I've never seen before the signs except for general speed limits signs on border crossings....

A thing that I really hate! the stupid car drivers that drove in central lane with the right free! and they also become angry if they were overtake on the right!

I've seen here on Skyscrapercity that have added the number of the exit on A32, I've travelled on A32 for 2 time, but at that time (2001 and mid 2000s years)
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #6022
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn-mann View Post
It's the first time that I've seen a 130 km/h speed limit signs! It's the general speed limit, but I've never seen before the signs except for general speed limits signs on border crossings....
I have noticed exactly the same thing watching that photo!

Autobahn-mann liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:25 AM   #6023
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Maybe it's posted at the end of a stretch with s.l. below than 130.
However they should have used this sign:
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 04:39 AM   #6024
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
^I bet you didn't go 90 kmh on this section of A4 (as nobody does) (except me ), did you?

https://www.google.si/maps?saddr=A4&...sz=15&t=m&z=15

I'm not even sure it's 90 limit all the way, but there isn't any cancelation before the one at the end of the marked section.
In Slovenia speed limit is cancelled (back to 130 km/h) after every interchange. Isn't it the same in Italy?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #6025
narkelion
Brentered

Likes (Received): 16520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
In Slovenia speed limit is cancelled (back to 130 km/h) after every interchange. Isn't it the same in Italy?
It is the same here: if the speed limit is not shown again, after every interchange it goes back to the road limit (in this case, 130 km/h).

italystf is right: if the speed limit is less than the official one, to set the speed limit to the original limit they have to put that sign, not the number.
narkelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #6026
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Interchange or also normal exit/entry?

I knew that you have to meet a cancellation sign on motorway.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #6027
narkelion
Brentered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post

I knew that you have to meet a cancellation sign on motorway.
From what I know, every time a road enter or cross another, after that point the speed limit (if it is not the official road limit) must be shown.

This because if I enter the motorway (that I know has a speed limit of 130) where the speed limit is 80 km/h, and I don't see the sign, I'll never know that the limit is different.
Old September 20th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #6028
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn-mann View Post

A thing that I really hate! the stupid car drivers that drove in central lane with the right free! and they also become angry if they were overtake on the right!

I've seen here on Skyscrapercity that have added the number of the exit on A32, I've travelled on A32 for 2 time, but at that time (2001 and mid 2000s years)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
I have noticed exactly the same thing watching that photo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Maybe it's posted at the end of a stretch with s.l. below than 130.
However they should have used this sign:
Technically speed limits in Italy can be as high as 150 km/h. Maybe they're gonna introduce such limits in that stretch and now are preparing other stretches with 130 km/h limit signs.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #6029
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I don't think the "crossroad cancelling the limit" rule applies to motorways. or does it?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #6030
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
I don't think the "crossroad cancelling the limit" rule applies to motorways. or does it?
This is how I knew it too, that you get a sign with a new speed limit or a cancellation for the old limit, or cancellation of all limits (most loved sign in Germany ).
Only to at level crossed roads, like normal national, regional, local roads applies the rule above.
Old September 20th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #6031
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkelion View Post
From what I know, every time a road enter or cross another, after that point the speed limit (if it is not the official road limit) must be shown.

This because if I enter the motorway (that I know has a speed limit of 130) where the speed limit is 80 km/h, and I don't see the sign, I'll never know that the limit is different.
If they put the speed limit sign on the entrance ramp, you'd see it and the people already on the motorway wouldn't. (Not that I'm claiming any knowledge of the fine points of European speed limit signage; just a stray thought....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #6032
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I usually saw in Germany that speed limit (if any) was signed right after entry on motorway, and also infos regarding distances towards different places.
Old September 20th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #6033
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
I usually saw in Germany that speed limit (if any) was signed right after entry on motorway
In case of I am not sure wheater a speed limit was cancelled I am always looking about there is a sign after a slip road. If not I am resuming to top speed.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #6034
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Both, but only after entries, not after exits.

Quote:
It does, because (as narkelion has said) if you enter a motorway with a reduced speed limit (less than 130 km/h in Italy), you don't know it's reduced, because you weren't on the motorway to see the speed-limit sign.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #6035
narkelion
Brentered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
If they put the speed limit sign on the entrance ramp, you'd see it and the people already on the motorway wouldn't. (Not that I'm claiming any knowledge of the fine points of European speed limit signage; just a stray thought....)
On the entrance ramp the speed limit is 40 km/h, if you put a 130km/h sign, people would be allowed to raise to that speed before entering the motorway.

Legally, I don't think you can put such a sign.
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #6036
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

40?!

I guess the idea of an "acceleration lane" doesn't apply there....

(Heck, if you're supposed to be doing 40 until the moment you merge onto the motorway, that may explain why people avoid the right lane. Seriously, do other European countries have a lower (far lower) speed limit on on-ramps than on the motorways themselves? I don't believe that's the case in most places in the U.S.... When I was learning to drive, I learned that you're supposed to accelerate to highway speed before you merge so you can do merge more easily.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #6037
narkelion
Brentered

Quote:
40?!

(Heck, if you're supposed to be doing 40 until the moment you merge onto the motorway, that may explain why people avoid the right lane. Seriously, do other European countries have a lower (far lower) speed limit on on-ramps than on the motorways themselves? I don't believe that's the case in most places in the U.S.... When I was learning to drive, I learned that you're supposed to accelerate to highway speed before you merge so you can do merge more easily.)
Oh, no wait. I thought you were referring to the ramps outside of the motorway, before merging them. In acceleration lanes, you can (and have to) accelerate to merge the stream of cars coming, of course.
Old September 20th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #6038
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

That sign implies cancellation of all non-standard regulations applying to that type of road.

It abrogates speed limits below the standard (130km/h), restrictions on overtaking by large vehicles etc. It essentially resets all road rules to the standard of that category. If only the previous speed limit is being cancelled, they will have a sign with the old limit on grey and the black diagonal sign.

This also applies in Germany indeed. The black diagonal over white sign is not - contrary to popular belief outside Europe - some "no speed limit" sign, but rather "from this point standard regulations to Autobahn applies" - which includes no blank speed limit.

You can also find this sign indicating "end of restrictions on overtaking":
, which cancels a previous sign like this:
Old September 20th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #6039
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
40?!

Some access ramps on motorway are very tight, so you can climb them only with very low speed, the same for some exit ramps. But once on the acceleration lane, you should press the pedal and merge. Some stretches with difficult merging have also lower speed limit 100 or 80 (on the actual motorway, not on the merging lane), to facilitate merging.
Old September 20th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #6040
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
That sign implies cancellation of all non-standard regulations applying to that type of road.

It abrogates speed limits below the standard (130km/h), restrictions on overtaking by large vehicles etc. It essentially resets all road rules to the standard of that category. If only the previous speed limit is being cancelled, they will have a sign with the old limit on grey and the black diagonal sign.

This also applies in Germany indeed. The black diagonal over white sign is not - contrary to popular belief outside Europe - some "no speed limit" sign, but rather "from this point standard regulations to Autobahn applies" - which includes no blank speed limit.

You can also find this sign indicating "end of restrictions on overtaking":
, which cancels a previous sign like this:
All I'm seeing is red Xes.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Autobahn-mann liked this post

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways