daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:30 PM   #6121
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
A Penn('s Woods)y for your thoughts.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=6053

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:31 PM   #6122
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

So you're free to turn a 3 lane motorway into a 2 lane one when you feel it? I don't think so. Besides, is explicitly forbidden by Italian code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Ok. But if you really are over this argument, you wouldn't feel the need to intervene just to say you don't want to intervene.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:33 PM   #6123
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Quote:
So you're free to turn a 3 lane motorway into a 2 lane one when you feel it? I don't think so. Besides, is explicitly forbidden by Italian code.
Geez.

I myself don't do that. I change lanes often while driving.

However, he is still passing cars here and there while driving on the middle lane. So I think he is doing right.

Changing lanes on curves is not always comfortable.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:36 PM   #6124
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Ok ok whatever. I will pass you on the right, like I'm forced to in these cases.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:53 PM   #6125
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
So you're free to turn a 3 lane motorway into a 2 lane one when you feel it? I don't think so. Besides, is explicitly forbidden by Italian code....
Sigh....

Continental lane-discipline fetishists are constantly critiquing American drivers, driving in the U.S.* (where - news flash - the Italian Code does not apply) - for "bad lane discipline." As if the only rational, sensible way to drive on a freeway that has four lanes going each direction is for everyone to sit in the right lane until the moment they're ready to pass, then get back into it the moment they're done passing. Thus creating a lot of weaving (which I find unnecessary and dangerous...well, dangerous anyway...unnecessary where the law doesn't require it) and leaving two lanes underutilized.

If that's what the law in Italy requires, do it. I would not presume to "turn a three-lane [Italian] motorway into a two-lane one." Even if it's not clear to me why the third lane exists under your system. But I routinely "hog the middle lane" in my country. I wasn't taught to do so, or taught not to do so: it just seemed intuitive to me driving on New York-area freeways where there are lots of entrance ramps feeding traffic into the left lane. If you're in the middle lane - driving a bit faster than those in the right - you're avoiding conflict and people can still pass you on the left. I've tried it your way and it just doesn't work here.

But we've had this argument before. If you really think that four lanes = one driving lane + three passing lanes, you're free to drive that way in countries where enough people feel the same way that you can do so safely. And obligated to do so on a country where the law says so. But if you insisted on driving that way when you were over here, on the grounds that you're the only one on the road who knows how to drive properly, I'd call you a menace.

[end soapbox mode]

*Often seen on videos, because said fetishists haven't actually been here.

Quote:
....k. But if you really are over this argument, you wouldn't feel the need to intervene just to say you don't want to intervene.
Consider it a feeble attempt to advocate for my I-just-want-to-look-at-the-pretty-pictures policy (even if it is out the window). :-) Was enjoying pretty pictures and then this came up.

Quote:
Ok ok whatever. I will pass you on the right, like I'm forced to in these cases.
What's preventing you from passing on the left?

[Sheesh.]

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:38 PM   #6126
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Back from the OT. I broke my New Year's promise and started an argument.

Never more, never more. From now on, my policy is I-just-want-to-be-informed-about-road-projects. I won't intervene no more in any matter beside this.

Last edited by g.spinoza; September 23rd, 2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:01 PM   #6127
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

My opinion is the driver from recording car drove fairly ok. He also switches right from time to time.
I saw some crazy dudes doing crazy things though
Like driving driving between lanes.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:59 PM   #6128
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Stupid signs pointing to a generic "Slovenia" around Trieste: They should instead signpost the Slovenian towns or the names of the border crossings.
I think it's good as long as Slovenia is in just one direction (you avoid several names). That's the SS202×SS15 interchange, so you turn right for Slovenia. The only negligence is Sezana instead of Sežana (and SS58 instead of SR58, but it's an old sign).

Last edited by Verso; September 24th, 2013 at 04:46 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #6129
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Back from the OT. I broke my New Year's promise and started an argument.

Never more, never more. From now on, my policy is I-just-want-to-be-informed-about-road-projects. I won't intervene no more in any matter beside this.
We all have our moments.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 24th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #6130
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

It is only possible to enter in San Marino by road SS72 and motorway A-14?

For example, if I go from Firenze, I have to go to Rimini and then take road SS72?
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #6131
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
It is only possible to enter in San Marino by road SS72 and motorway A-14?
No, but other crossings are on local roads.

Quote:
For example, if I go from Firenze, I have to go to Rimini and then take road SS72?
It's not the straightest route but probably the fastest.
Old September 24th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #6132
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I think it's good as long as Slovenia is in just one direction (you avoid several names). That's the SS202×SS15 interchange, so you turn right for Slovenia. The only negligence is Sezana instead of Sežana (and SS58 instead of SR58, but it's an old sign).
For people who don't know the road it's more reassuring to read "Fernetti-Sežana-Ljubljana" or "Rabuiese-Skofije-Koper" instead of a generic Slovenia. Nova Gorica it's in Slovenia too but you don't cross at Fernetti or Rabuiese to get in.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #6133
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

According to forumer SvenHassel from the Italian forum, who apparently is an insider, the Italian Ministry for Infrastructures is revising the names of autostrade, raccordi and diramazioni...
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #6134
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
For people who don't know the road it's more reassuring to read "Fernetti-Sežana-Ljubljana" or "Rabuiese-Skofije-Koper" instead of a generic Slovenia. Nova Gorica it's in Slovenia too but you don't cross at Fernetti or Rabuiese to get in.
This is on the expressway.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #6135
narkelion
Brentered

Likes (Received): 16488

Quote:
According to forumer SvenHassel from the Italian forum, who apparently is an insider, the Italian Ministry for Infrastructures is revising the names of autostrade, raccordi and diramazioni...
Is there any Thread on the italian forum about all highways? Where do you find these info?
narkelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #6136
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkelion View Post
Is there any Thread on the italian forum about all highways? Where do you find these info?
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1636
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #6137
narkelion
Brentered

Likes (Received): 16488

Thank you! I was asking if there was any single thread, not an entire part of the forum, but I'll start reading some of them.
narkelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #6138
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Not a single thread encompassing all Italian autostrade. SvenHassel is particularly active in the Pedemontana Lombarda thread.
Old September 25th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #6139
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

What is the current status of A31 / Valdastico Sud? According to Italian Wikipedia, the entire route should be completed this year.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #6140
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What is the current status of A31 / Valdastico Sud? According to Italian Wikipedia, the entire route should be completed this year.
Wikipedia is not updated, new deadline is end 2014, but it's possible they open some stretches earlier like they already did.

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways