daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2014, 10:41 PM   #6701
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Venice Mestre

image hosted on flickr

Camera Roll-92 by hofburgh4, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Camera Roll-86 by hofburgh4, on Flickr

bogdymol, brick84, Luki_SL, Moravian liked this post
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:49 AM   #6702
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

A34

hofburg liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 02:38 AM   #6703
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
This iron bridge was supposed to be part of a new railway line between Cormons and Fogliano Redipuglia, in order to short the rail distance between Udine and Trieste avoiding the detour via Gorizia (for freight trains, passenger trains would call at Gorizia anyway). Works started in 1949, proceeded slowly and were definitively stopped in 1989. The earthbed was completed, including a long iron bridge over the Isonzo river and two concrete viaducts for the junction with the existing railways at Cormons and Fogliano (the one in Fogliano was demolished recently). Part of the abandoned earthbed was used for the Mariano del Friuli bypass (SS305 var) opened in 2013.
With the enlargement of the RA17 into A34, that iron bridge was planned to be demolished because it created problems in that place. Then, they moved it few meters away to save it because they plan to build a cycle route along it.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:25 PM   #6704
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11131

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Region Lombardy and province Lecco are financing a feasibility study for the extension of A51 from current terminus in Usmate Velate to Olginate, just south of Lecco.

http://www.merateonline.it/articolo.php?idd=39279

here's a tentative map of the extension (link because it's huge):
http://www.merateonline.it/public/pu...le_est1big.jpg

Apparently it's almost totally in tunnel (dashed line). It's section B (superstrada) until Calco, then C1 (one-laned superstrada) to Olginate. Can't find a statement on length, but it should be 20 km, more or less.
Interesting news.
Northern terminus of Milano Tangenziale Est is almost like a dead end currently
Old January 22nd, 2014, 02:45 PM   #6705
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
This iron bridge was supposed to be part of a new railway line between Cormons and Fogliano Redipuglia, in order to short the rail distance between Udine and Trieste avoiding the detour via Gorizia (for freight trains, passenger trains would call at Gorizia anyway). Works started in 1949, proceeded slowly and were definitively stopped in 1989. The earthbed was completed, including a long iron bridge over the Isonzo river and two concrete viaducts for the junction with the existing railways at Cormons and Fogliano (the one in Fogliano was demolished recently). Part of the abandoned earthbed was used for the Mariano del Friuli bypass (SS305 var) opened in 2013.
With the enlargement of the RA17 into A34, that iron bridge was planned to be demolished because it created problems in that place. Then, they moved it few meters away to save it because they plan to build a cycle route along it.
Trains can go via Cervignano. This must be the same viaduct.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:44 PM   #6706
bogdymol
bogdymod

Last summer I did a roatrip through northern Italy. One of the towns where I stopped for a short visit was Sirmione, located on a peninsula on Garda Lake (Lago di Garda).

The town looks like this (aerial view):

(not my picture)

One interesting thing in Sirmione was the traffic. Cars are usually not allowed into this city, but there are exceptions (local people & tourists that have a reservation at a hotel located there).

All cars that enter Sirmione have only one way of doing it: through the main gate of Scaliger Castle:

Because of the narrow streets, traffic goes slowly between all the tourists.

There are some one-way streets, but...

... there are also some parts where only one narrow street is available, so they installed a traffic light and the traffic goes in one direction at a time. Yes, cars pass through that small pedestrian way under the building:

Driving in Sirmione it's an adventure... especially if you drive anything larger than a Fiat 500:

You can check more pictures from Sirmione (and other places in northern Italy) in my Travel thread.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

hofburg, Luki_SL, Galro, Moravian liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:59 PM   #6707
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

I remember, as a pedestrian in Sirmione, waiting to let a huge SUV with Russian plates pass me by. I talked to a lady who said to me "to wealthy tourists everything is allowed. I work here in Sirmione and not only I cannot enter the town with the car, I also have to park far away and pay the parking every day..."
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 10:09 PM   #6708
bogdymol
bogdymod

I also parked my car about 1 km from the entrance in Sirmione and payed [too much] for paking, but I didn't complain because it was a very nice area.

I read on those signs that are allowed to drive their cars into Sirmione only the people that live there (not work, but live!) and tourists that have booked a room in a hotel from Sirmione, but just for dropping/taking their luggage (since there's no parking places inside the town).

There weren't a lot of cars so they didn't bother me too much.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:19 PM   #6709
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

I am still reminiscent of massive traffic jams back in the days when I was young so I'd prefer to eat shit and die rather than trying the Lake on a summer weekend :grin: even though I'm living pretty close.

Tendentially I like the off season weekends for lunch and a relaxing day out. It's hard to explainm Bogdy, but the Mediterranean flair of the local landscape and the generally more pleasent weather has a sort of magnetic pull on us, forced to live long dreary, bleak and unpleasant winters.
It's like you lived in Bucharest and could get to Mamaia in 45 minutes.

I have to check, but I think they turn off the meters in Sirmione during the winter. Indeed they pull rubber hoods over the ticket machines and you can park for free.

Should you be back, and travelling with a special one, remember there's a free parking (I think in Lugana) where you can buy a ride on a Riva powerboat taxi for 3 euro round trip. It's cheaper than a day in the parking and quite romantic. Plus it saves you walking a kilometer under the scorching sun. A Riva is like a sporty powerboat. All polished wood.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 02:20 PM   #6710
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Some hours ago A12 was closed southbound between Sestri Levante and Deiva Marina due to a landslide:

This caused a 10 km queue.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:03 PM   #6711
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Some pictures I shot last summer on A3 between Verona and Sirmione
Maybe you meant A4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Note that in all the pictures the Fiat Panda and BMW 5GT are always in the middle lane. I drove constantly with 130 km/h and so did they, but I always tried to use the right-most free lane.
oh, I really hate that worst middle-lane hogging!
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #6712
hofburg
middle lane hogger

middle lane hogging is just lazy driving. no need to look back, no need to change lanes, and, at 110km/h, no need to ajust the speed.
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #6713
hofburg
middle lane hogger

making of A34 in video

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolego View Post
Dal canale youtube di Autovie Venete, la presentazione della nuova Autostrada:

bogdymol, cinxxx liked this post
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #6714
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Here's a really beautiful video of A36 shot by an automatic flying drone

http://www.affaritaliani.it/coffee/v...-un-drone.html

It flies inside tunnels too, ain't that awesome...

Last edited by g.spinoza; January 24th, 2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old January 24th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #6715
bogdymol
bogdymod

Some pictures I shot last summer on A4 between Sirmione and Verona-south:

I didn't knew why there were a lot of cars on the hard shoulder (emergency lane):

They were all waiting in the long queue formed at an exit because of toll booths:

Peschiera exit:

I exited at Verona-south. They have a lot of toll booths at this exit:

Bonus: on the road leading from Sirmione to A4 I encountered this signs. Which should be my driving speed?

Moravian liked this post
Old January 24th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #6716
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19412

The Peschiera exit is probably used by people who want to access A22 north via SS450, plus tourist traffic to the Lago di Garda.

This is another example of how archaic European toll roads are. I mean, being stuck in congestion just to pay tolls, that's ridiculous.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #6717
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This is another example of how archaic European toll roads are. I mean, being stuck in congestion just to pay tolls, that's ridiculous.
Yes, that's true. But after 1 week of driving on some Italian motorways I noticed that most of the people are stuck in a long queue formed at the cash-payment lanes. The telepass lanes were always free (like expected) and the card-lanes were all the time if not completely free, but with maximum 3-4 cars in a row.

Examples, besides that one I posted above with A4 exit at Verona-south:

Exiting A1 near Firenze:

Exiting A27 (northern exit):

Old January 24th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #6718
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Peschiera exit is probably used by people who want to access A22 north via SS450, plus tourist traffic to the Lago di Garda.

True, plus traffic to Gardaland amusement park. They should have built a motorway triangle, like between A11 and A12 in Tuscany.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #6719
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Viacard lanes are not adequately advertised. Until very recently I thought it was some kind of pre-paid debit card that Autostrade issued. Now that I know better I use them all the times...
Old January 24th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #6720
bogdymol
bogdymod

I still don't know what Viacard is (I assume it's something similar with credit/debit card), but I used those lanes because they also accept there credit cards (like I have).

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways