daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #7621
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

The works are part of a concession. So I there is a financial incentive for works to be completed in a more efficient manner. However, there had been some bizarre twists on the project, like an administrative court order that effectively stopped works in a tunnel, but just till the region (Toscana-Emilia Romaga) border.

There had also been some geological issues, at one point in 2008 the most extreme scenarios envisioned a massive mountain slide due to shifting terrain...

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #7622
F81

Likes (Received): 43

The new alignment will have at least 3 lanes per direction of standard width (3.75m), although one will be used as a hard shoulder. I foresee a possible future use of it as "dynamic" 3rd lane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #7623
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
BTW, due to financial issue, the current deadline for the 3rd lane on A4 San Donà di Piave - Villesse is: 2031.
Lol, awesome.

Sent from my Commodore
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #7624
Alien x

Likes (Received): 3478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
So maybe in 20-25 years we'll see a project to widen the central sector of the new alignment to 2x3 :p
Actually emergency lane ( is a "dynamic" lane) on the new alignment will be 3,75 meters wide, including the tunnels and bridges, so its already predisposed for 2x3

and the final section will be a hybrid from Aglio to Barberino
as its 3 lanes heading south and 2+2 heading north. You can see it from 2:58 till 3:40 in the video.

www.autostrade.it

Coccodrillo liked this post
Alien x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #7625
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

The old route can be used in summer days when there is a big number of vehicles.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #7626
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by F81 View Post
The new alignment will have at least 3 lanes per direction of standard width (3.75m), although one will be used as a hard shoulder. I foresee a possible future use of it as "dynamic" 3rd lane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dynamic 3rd lane is a very bad idea for safety, since it doesn't keep a free path to emergency vehicles in case of accident.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #7627
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Dynamic 3rd lane is a very bad idea for safety, since it doesn't keep a free path to emergency vehicles in case of accident.
I used to think the same, but keep in mind that virtually no motorway in Italy have continuous emergency lane: in most cases they're missing on bridges and tunnels. Emergency vehicles risk getting stuck all the time. Rettungsgasse is a much better idea: unfortunately in Italy is not viable - you need disciplined drivers to form a Rettungsgasse.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #7628
pccvspw999

Likes (Received): 1883

Maybe it would help explaining it to the drivers first, or not? If nobody tell's that this shall be the behavior to be kept, nobody will accomplish.

"Rettungsgasse" ( or "fire lane"), was not innate in german drivers, for example, it was educated.
pccvspw999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #7629
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pccvspw999 View Post
"Rettungsgasse" ( or "fire lane"), was not innate in german drivers, for example, it was educated.
Of course, but German drivers follow the rules. That's the big difference.
Old October 28th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #7630
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

What's the concept of Rettunggasse? If you mean traffic is stuck and everybody moves to the right or left upon hearing sirens it's commonplace here. Indeed I wished the new Road Code imposed different kind of sirens so to be heard in cushy cars even when using a bloototh to make call like the "rumbler"
Old October 29th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #7631
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

Rettungsgasse means making a free lane for emergency vehicles in case traffic is stopped (vehicles from right lane go right on the shoulder, the rest go to the left). The trick is not to do this when the emergency vehicle comes, but just after traffic stops, so the emergency vehicle can drive through without having to wait.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 02:34 AM   #7632
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

yes, you can hardly move your vehicle after the traffic has stopped.

Last edited by hofburg; October 29th, 2014 at 02:40 AM.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 10:05 AM   #7633
pccvspw999

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Of course, but German drivers follow the rules. That's the big difference.
Are You sure? In my opinion italians are able to follow the rules also, just need to have them explained and not only "dropped from above" or just to make some money for the state.
Old October 29th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #7634
pccvspw999

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
yes, you can hardly move your vehicle after the traffic has stopped.
The main issue is to leave a little bit of space just to have the possibility to put your car a little bit more to right or left. Lanes are 3,50-3.75m wide, cars up to 2m: there is enough space to create a "emergency lane" also with a small movement.
That's why the system has been adopted: a defective car on the emergency lane cannot be easily moved and will oblige the rescue teams to diverge to traffic lane blocked by the standing cars: it's a problem! On the other hand stopped cars on traffic lane are all able to move, so the rescue vehicles can move not fast but steadidly. It's more effective at the end.
Old October 29th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #7635
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pccvspw999 View Post
Are You sure?
Yes, I am. I lived both in Italy and Germany, and the difference is abysmal.

Explaining the rules is not enough. The only way is the enforcing, and punishment for those who break the rules. In Italy there's no enforcement at all.
Old October 29th, 2014, 10:48 AM   #7636
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Explaining the rules is not enough. The only way is the enforcing, and punishment for those who break the rules. In Italy there's no enforcement at all.
C'mon, it is not like that!

Speed enforcement worked very efficiently to reduce crazy driving on most highways and many roads. ZTL enforcement also fines violators with incredible efficiency.

I have a theory, though, that says the original sin of Italian traffic law abiding culture (or lack thereof) is parking. Since parking management on most cities vary from spotty to wild, with rules often ignored or bend with, a situation caused by the sheer lack of parking in many places; drivers transcend their attitudes toward parking ("I gotta find a way, damn that yellow marking") to other aspects of driving as well.
Old October 29th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #7637
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Parking is one of the few things that's actually enforced, along with speeding as you correctly said. It's also correct that parking is enforced differently in different cities - the only two times I parked illegally, once in Brescia and once in Bologna, I got tickets. In Turin parking is much more wild and tolerated.

That said, no other violation is sanctioned. You can talk at the cell phone, overtake with solid middle line, forget the existence of blinkers and do whatever you like... you will never get a ticket.

Last edited by g.spinoza; October 29th, 2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old October 29th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #7638
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

What I noticed while driving in Italy:
- outside of localities in roadworks nobody obeys the speed limits (usually they just drive ahead as there where was nothing)
- on multiple lane roads some drivers don't seem to be able to decide which lane to use, so they just drive between them
- crazy scooteristi in cities - Italians don't seem to bothered though, I guess it just takes some time to get used to
- blinking is optional to many drivers (happens here too though)
- cars parked in any place that has a spot where car fits (nothing new to me, since I come from Romania). Funny thing was, if cars left decent space between them while parking along the road, a scooter would claim that place
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 11:45 AM   #7639
narkelion
Brentered

Likes (Received): 16495

The main unwritten rule is, exspecially in Rome, "la precedenza è di chi sa'a pija", which literally translates in "the way (at roundabouts, crossings, etc etc) is of those who take it".

Or, better, "the strongest survives".
Urban Area: 100611
Metropolitan Area: 175818

2nd in Marche / 44th in Italy / n-th in European Union per popolazione
1st in Marche / 18th in Italy per qualità della vita
narkelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #7640
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

What I don't understand though, is the relatively low fatality rate in Italy. In 2013 it was 58 traffic fatalities per 1 million people, which is right at the EU average. With the driving style and scooter chaos in cities you'd think Italy would be one of the worst. Greece, for example, had 81 fatalities per 1 million (112 as recently as 2010).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways