daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #8661
Insulateshipper

Likes (Received): 493

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Yes, in fact the problem of Sicilian roads is mostly quality-related, not quantity-related, although a motorway along the southern coast and a proper bypass of Palermo would help.
Before to build new road, they need a real diagnostic of the road network in this region in order to repair and maintain the exiting roads in safetly condition. Same for railways. Same for a lot of things...
Insulateshipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2015, 04:43 PM   #8662
brick84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They had a couple of bridge collapses / subsidences as well. Maintenance seems to be a problem in Sicily.
One of them collapsed by a landslide, not by no maintenance. Anyway it's true.

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 12:32 AM   #8663
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
They had a couple of bridge collapses / subsidences as well. Maintenance seems to be a problem in Sicily.
That's exactly the point. Roads there are being built and then left alone for years and even decades. Time does its job. However there have been cases of highways built already with poor standards. The part of A20 that opened in 2004 appeared already in a poor shape just 5-7 years later.
The bridge over Simeto river on SS114 had been closed for a long time because of structural issues. I went there in summer 2009. That bridge was closed, the Catania-Siracusa motorway was still to be opened, so we had to make a long inland detour to go from Catania to Siracusa (around two hours between the two cities). Our driver tried to take a shortcut via a country road and we ended up in a barely passable road that only had some remains left of the old asphalt pavement.
Even where there aren't serious issues, most Sicilian roads look quite rundown, with bad pavement, vanishing road markings, old discoloured signs and edges full of wild weeds and garbage.
Another problem in Sicily is the lack of alternate routes in case of road closures. In many cases, the second available route between two towns is a narrow, winding and poorly-maintained mountain road, unsuitable for heavy traffic.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #8664
brick84

Quote:
That's exactly the point. Roads there are being built and then left alone for years and even decades. Time does its job. However there have been cases of highways built already with poor standards. The part of A20 that opened in 2004 appeared already in a poor shape just 5-7 years later.
The very problem is the managing body: Consorzio Autostrade Siciliane.

Quote:
The bridge over Simeto river on SS114 had been closed for a long time because of structural issues. I went there in summer 2009. That bridge was closed, the Catania-Siracusa motorway was still to be opened, so we had to make a long inland detour to go from Catania to Siracusa (around two hours between the two cities). Our driver tried to take a shortcut via a country road and we ended up in a barely passable road that only had some remains left of the old asphalt pavement.

It has been closed after over 60 years (Mussolini opened it) to be re-build with modern standards.

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Old December 5th, 2015, 11:10 PM   #8665
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

A1 Variante di Valico

The Aglio - Barberino segment (6.1 km) of the Variante di Valico project (A1 Bologna - Firenze) is reported to have opened to traffic today.

If I understand the schematics, they built a new carriageway with 3 lanes for southbound traffic, and rededicated the existing autostrada with 2+2 lanes for northbound traffic.

The cost was € 262 million which seems quite high for 6 km of new carriageway, even with all the tunnels and viaducts (€ 43 million/km).

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:28 AM   #8666
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

I think this was posted before, but still is the best "overview" of Variante di Valico project. Video is 17 months old, so obviously the road, being almost finished now, is not on that state. Recently opened segment visible from 2:10

Here the schematics

sponge_bob, arctic_carlos liked this post

Last edited by Suburbanist; December 7th, 2015 at 10:34 AM.
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:47 PM   #8667
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
The cost was € 262 million which seems quite high for 6 km of new carriageway, even with all the tunnels and viaducts (€ 43 million/km).

Viaduct Aglio is quite expensive: 80 m high, 2 spans 77 m each and 3 spans 148 m each.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #8668
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

No additional investmwnts in Sicily at all??? What the heck don't they invest in the poorest region in Italy??? Not a cent dotation??? Afraid of Etna eruption ??
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #8669
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Is the Variante project now complete????
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 07:26 PM   #8670
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

It's not yet opened for traffic...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #8671
Fab87
Dietrich von Welschbern

Likes (Received): 7153

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraroad View Post
No additional investmwnts in Sicily at all??? What the heck don't they invest in the poorest region in Italy??? Not a cent dotation??? Afraid of Etna eruption ??
Joking?

Sicily has a pretty decent motorway infrastructure (A18, A19, A20, A29 A29dir for a total stretch of 746km) and I don't see saturation in any of these routes.
I reckon for instance that A29 Palermo-Mazara del Vallo is one of the least busy italian highways, plus it is non-tolled.

I know they think they should get more from Rome, but what they need is better local governance and extension of tolls rather than new public investments.

poller1 liked this post
Fab87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #8672
mistikos

Likes (Received): 3062

My last 5 videos about Highway A3 Salerno-Reggio Calabria taken by me on Sunday 6th December:

From Cosenza to Rogliano

From Rogliano to Altilia

From Altilia to Falerna

From the viaduct over the Randace river to Pizzo Calabro

From Pizzo Calabro to Lamezia Terme
"Nessuno nasce odiando i propri simili a causa della razza, della religione e della classe alla quale appartengono. Gli uomini imparano ad odiare e, se possono imparare ad odiare, possono anche imparare ad amare perché l'amore, per il cuore umano, è più naturale dell'odio."
-Nelson Mandela

Il mio blog
Il mio canale youtube

sponge_bob, brick84, Suburbanist, Luki_SL liked this post
mistikos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 12:13 AM   #8673
brick84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab87 View Post
Joking?

Sicily has a pretty decent motorway infrastructure (A18, A19, A20, A29 A29dir for a total stretch of 746km) and I don't see saturation in any of these routes.
I reckon for instance that A29 Palermo-Mazara del Vallo is one of the least busy italian highways, plus it is non-tolled.

I know they think they should get more from Rome, but what they need is better local governance and extension of tolls rather than new public investments.
I agree.

I think the only saturation is onto Catania's Tangenziale and for this reason there's a plan for the construction of the third lane.

Quote:
Waiting for:

- complete of A18 Siracusa-Gela (from Modica to Gela)
- new 'Superstrada Ragusa-Catania';
- Palermo's Tangenziale
- Third lane in Catania's Tangenziale
- Gela's Tangenziale

and, new promis, upgrade of A19 Palermo-Catania:

Luki_SL, Fab87 liked this post
Old December 9th, 2015, 09:04 AM   #8674
ukraroad

i wonder about Messina bridge. Etna's awoken few days ago, so what are the odds the bridge to Sicily will be built like to 2022? Unluckily they have to know about the seismical activity. Is there any progress on it since Berlusconi was put off office?
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #8675
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

This project had been cancelled indefinitely after the fall of Berlusconi government. It probably won't be built in this half of the century.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:12 AM   #8676
ukraroad

Boats going on the strait till 2060??
Old December 9th, 2015, 12:27 PM   #8677
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
It's not yet opened for traffic...
Part of it was opened last 5th December, the rest *should* open before Christmas...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 12:44 PM   #8678
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

The opening of Variante di Valico will be an extra incentive for me to drive south again, last visits to Italy were limited to the surroundings of Conegliano / Treviso.
Old December 9th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #8679
brick84

Quote:
i wonder about Messina bridge. Etna's awoken few days ago, so what are the odds the bridge to Sicily will be built like to 2022? Unluckily they have to know about the seismical activity. Is there any progress on it since Berlusconi was put off office?
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post129194607

Old December 10th, 2015, 03:14 PM   #8680
Insulateshipper

Likes (Received): 493

MESSINA | Tangenziale - Uscita V.le Giostra / Annunziata (Futuro svincolo Ponte di Messina)

Crazy bridges in Messina

Suburbanist, 8166UY, FiveYears, Buffaboy liked this post
Insulateshipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways