daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #8841
Pfosten

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I've got one of these...

It works for me, and I normally get through quick, apart from the A4 in Milan where congestion because of these booths are the norm. Only downside of that card is that they get damaged rather quick, making them unsuitable for the machines to read.
I thought that it is only for italian people or for those who have there bancing account there....?!
Pfosten no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2016, 11:07 PM   #8842
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Visa and Mastercard work flawlessly for me. Maestro debit card does not work.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 11:10 PM   #8843
mistikos

Likes (Received): 3071

State Road 18, from Paola to Torremezzo:

"Nessuno nasce odiando i propri simili a causa della razza, della religione e della classe alla quale appartengono. Gli uomini imparano ad odiare e, se possono imparare ad odiare, possono anche imparare ad amare perché l'amore, per il cuore umano, è più naturale dell'odio."
-Nelson Mandela

Il mio blog
Il mio canale youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
mistikos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 02:15 PM   #8844
stabia
user

Likes (Received): 900

Road trip through the city of SALERNO, in the Southern Italy (near Naples).

Stavros86, Luki_SL liked this post
stabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 12:45 AM   #8845
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Extension of A31 towards Trento

The project of extending A31 from its current terminus in Piovene Rocchette to A22 near Trento seems to be halted due to endless opposition from Trento provincial administration. However, they seems to agree to build that connection as a lower-standards road (maybe 1+1 or even 2+2 expressway).
http://www.ladige.it/news/cronaca/20...e-collegamento
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 01:08 PM   #8846
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Visa and Mastercard work flawlessly for me. Maestro debit card does not work.
Maestro is accepted too.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 02:32 PM   #8847
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Maybe it is accepted, but not about a month ago when I was on Milano Est tollgate.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 07:54 PM   #8848
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The project of extending A31 from its current terminus in Piovene Rocchette to A22 near Trento seems to be halted due to endless opposition from Trento provincial administration. However, they seems to agree to build that connection as a lower-standards road (maybe 1+1 or even 2+2 expressway).
On the "Giornale di Vicenza" (Vicenza's local newspaper), is reported that the motorway will be extended to the Regional border and than will be contiued as a tolled 2+2 highway (maybe also single carriageway with 4 lanes)

Been in: A, BiH, CH, CZ, D, E, ET, F, GR, H, HR, I, RSM, SLO, UK, V, VEC
Drove in : I, HR, SLO, VEC
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #8849
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn-mann View Post
On the "Giornale di Vicenza" (Vicenza's local newspaper), is reported that the motorway will be extended to the Regional border and than will be contiued as a tolled 2+2 highway (maybe also single carriageway with 4 lanes)
This is impossible. Such a configuration is forbidden under current laws.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 11:05 PM   #8850
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn-mann View Post
Do you mean something like this?
Old February 10th, 2016, 11:35 PM   #8851
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

yes. That was built in the 60s when rules were different.
Old February 10th, 2016, 11:41 PM   #8852
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

These roads are dangerous, no wonder it is not allowed to build new ones anymore. They are especially dangerous at level crossings.
Old February 11th, 2016, 01:23 AM   #8853
italystf

Road construction in Italy is currently regulated by Ministerial Decree n°6792 of 5th November 2001 (issued by Ministery of Infrastructure and Transportation).

Here the full text (96 pages in Italian)
http://www.mit.gov.it/mit/mop_all.php?p_id=06126

I haven't read it entirely, but I know that new (either built from scatch or upgrades) 2+2 or more highways in Italy must be either autostrada standard (cat. A, 130kph) or strada extraurbana principale standard (cat. B, 110kph, also with median, no U-turns, at-grade intersections and driveways and restricted to motorized traffic). Beside them, only 1+1 roads can be built (cat. C).
This law thus rules out the possibility of building 2+2 roads that aren't divided, have U-turns, at-grade intersections and driveways, are open to non-motorized traffic or are narrower than the minimum width (22m, 25m for autostrade).

This is probably considered important safety-wise, as having two lanes per direction encourages speeding, but at the same time the lack of a median or the presence of U-turns, at-grade intersections, etc... is likely to cause accidents at high speeds. So they want either to build full-standard motorways or motorway-like roads or 1+1 roads not suitable for high speed, rather than something in between.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old February 11th, 2016, 09:50 AM   #8854
F81

Likes (Received): 43

Would it be possible to build half-profile? As a cat. C road but with bends, gradients, and overpasses sized in such a way to allow the construction of a new carriageway which would upgrade the road to cat. B or cat. A ?
F81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 10:38 AM   #8855
narkelion
Brentered

Likes (Received): 16520

Yes of course.
Urban Area: 100611
Metropolitan Area: 175818

2nd in Marche / 44th in Italy / n-th in European Union per popolazione
1st in Marche / 18th in Italy per qualità della vita
narkelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 12:32 PM   #8856
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
That was built in the 60s when rules were different.
Should have been straightforward to install median barriers now. In fact, I often have a feeling that some superstrade were constructed as 1x4 roads and only given a median barrier later on. Though I have never seen pictures of such a situation - it's probably just a feeling driven by the rather narrow alignment of these roads.
Old February 11th, 2016, 12:39 PM   #8857
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I'm not sure you can just install some barriers to update old roads to modern standards. This road here near Brescia is going to be upgraded as part of the works linked to A35, but it is still untouched. I guess if they just had to install the barrier, works would already be completed. I think they have to enlarge lanes and do some more thorough works.
Old February 11th, 2016, 01:25 PM   #8858
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
Should have been straightforward to install median barriers now. In fact, I often have a feeling that some superstrade were constructed as 1x4 roads and only given a median barrier later on. Though I have never seen pictures of such a situation - it's probably just a feeling driven by the rather narrow alignment of these roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I'm not sure you can just install some barriers to update old roads to modern standards. This road here near Brescia is going to be upgraded as part of the works linked to A35, but it is still untouched. I guess if they just had to install the barrier, works would already be completed. I think they have to enlarge lanes and do some more thorough works.
The present-day A34 motorway between Villesse and Gorizia was opened in the early 70s as a single-carriaggeway 4-lanes road, similar to the SS407\E847 in Basilicata. Around 2007 they installed concrete 'new jersey' barriers in the middle, to improve safety, although it was still very narrow (14m, that means that two trucks could barely overtake each other) and it was still a category C road limited to 80kph.
Old February 11th, 2016, 01:43 PM   #8859
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Around 2007 they installed concrete 'new jersey' barriers in the middle, to improve safety, although it was still very narrow (14m, that means that two trucks could barely overtake each other)
Even overtaking a truck by car was quite claustrophobic.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 06:55 PM   #8860
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Maybe a little off-topic, but I will still ask
I will do an 8 day trip to Napoli and area last week of May.

I didn't book any accommodations yet, I have to figure out exactly what I want to do before that. Rough ideas would be 2 days in Napoli, 1 day Pompeii with Vesuvius or Herculaneum, 1 day Procida and Ischia, 1 day Capri, 2 days around Amalfi. Leaves me an unplanned day.

Do you think it's better to rent a car sometime during this trip or rely better on trains or buses?
I'm, not sure if driving around the Amalfi peninsula is better. Also not exactly sure which places to visit there and if they are remote. For Cinque Terre for example the train was great.

Or maybe you have better places to see than what I thought of
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways