daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2016, 07:20 PM   #8861
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

I don't know the area very well, but I wouldn't rely on public transport very much. I was in Naples for a month or so for work some years ago, I remember asking to an elderly lady when the next train was due, she replied with a sigh: "Only God knows. Sooner or later."

I think I'd spend the extra day exploring the Amalfi peninsula. You'll want to see Sorrento, Positano, maybe a short hike to the tip of the peninsula.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2016, 07:33 PM   #8862
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Maybe a little off-topic, but I will still ask
I will do an 8 day trip to Napoli and area last week of May.

I didn't book any accommodations yet, I have to figure out exactly what I want to do before that. Rough ideas would be 2 days in Napoli, 1 day Pompeii with Vesuvius or Herculaneum, 1 day Procida and Ischia, 1 day Capri, 2 days around Amalfi. Leaves me an unplanned day.

Do you think it's better to rent a car sometime during this trip or rely better on trains or buses?
I'm, not sure if driving around the Amalfi peninsula is better. Also not exactly sure which places to visit there and if they are remote. For Cinque Terre for example the train was great.

Or maybe you have better places to see than what I thought of
Herculaneum and Pompeii are served by frequent (Every 30min) suburban trains of Circumvesuviana (they changed names I think). The station near the archaeological park is called Pompeii Scavi, appropriately. These are not the regional trains on the Trenitalia line, though. Trenitalia's Pompeii station is not within walking distnace of the archaeological park. You should consider a visit to the Archaeological museum in Napoli where many of the items removed from the excavation sites are located! Consider also the Paestum (Greek ruins), and you pack several centuries of archaeology in one trip! You can also visit Reggia di Caserta palace and gardens.

There are some private pay parking near the archaeological park. It is not difficult to reach both sites.

With a car, you can drive off-the-beaten path around the volcano as well. Or go to vantage points in the peninsula, higher than the coastal route. The main road in the southern side (SS163) narrows as you go eastward. It is not difficult to drive if you have patience. The issue along the coastal villages is parking, it is very limited. Some parking garages offer reservations in advance. If you want to go for scenic drives on that route, try to wake up early before the masses day-tripping from elsewhere pack the road.

cinxxx liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 07:43 PM   #8863
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Is May crowded? I think I should avoid as much as possible to drive on Amalfi on the weekend.
What about the islands? I read Capri is overrated and expensive. Procida and Ischia look beautiful.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 08:09 PM   #8864
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Is May crowded? I think I should avoid as much as possible to drive on Amalfi on the weekend.
What about the islands? I read Capri is overrated and expensive. Procida and Ischia look beautiful.
May is shoulder season, less crowded during weekdays (especially first half of May).

Capri is nice if you spend a night there, it gets quiet and interesting after people travelling for the day leave. That blue sea cave (grotta azurra), however, is a waste of time, money and aggravation IMHO.
Old February 12th, 2016, 09:32 PM   #8865
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

i took one day trip to Capri. well, I'd say it's worth to see. it is nice experience, although i was only at urban part of the island. nothing too famous to see, but nice anyway. boat Sorrento - Capri was expensive. it was something like 30€ return trip per person, now it is probably even more expensive. at the island rich tourists are being driven in island taxis (weird things, most of them are some Pullmanlike Fiat Mareas . i didn't ask for price, but i am sure that it is expensive as hell.
also, visiting that area without Sorrento is senseless, and to get to Sorrento you will need a car. and when you are there - yes, go to Amalfi coast, you will be sorry later for not visiting it.

btw, i remember when i was looking for accomodation, small cities in inner country were quite cheap. i got a hotel in Cassino for some 50€ double room (ok, hotel was totally shitty, but clean enough to spend night there, but all hotels had similar price).
Old February 12th, 2016, 10:18 PM   #8866
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Between April and November is illegal for Campania region residents to bring their own cars in the islands of Capri, Ischia and Procida. I don't know if it applies also to rental cars rented in Campania, you should check with the rental agency.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 10:42 PM   #8867
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Yeah, I read about that.
I wouldn't want to bother with a car on the islands, but I'm not sure how well buses on Ischia and Capri run, taxis are expensive from what I've read. Plan is to visit Procida and Ischia on the same day, and the first, being small, there's no need for a car.
Old February 12th, 2016, 11:55 PM   #8868
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

bus on Capri? does that exist? maybe some shuttle van between Marina Grande and Anacapri. that island i very road-trafficless. you are mostly supposed to walk and use that taxi there. (and funicular and cable car)
Old February 13th, 2016, 12:00 AM   #8869
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Yes, you're right. I was actually referring to Ischia...
Old February 13th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #8870
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I did a similar trip three years ago (6 days instead of 8). We didn't rent a car and didn't miss it either. It would have been a hindrance in Naples itself (no staying in city centre if we had one), obviously not in Capri either and to Pompei there are very frequent trains. Maybe to Amalfi coast, but then one of us would have had to concentrate on road all the time instead of looking at the views plus issues with parking. We took a train to Sorrento and then a bus to Salerno (three buses actually as we stopped in Positano and Amalfi). For a significantly longer trip I would consider a car for part of a trip to access some less popular spots.

Capri is beautiful and not really that crowded when you are away from the most popular parts. If your physical conditioning allows it I would definitely advise taking stairs from the port to Anacapri.

cinxxx liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #8871
italystf

I've realized that there will be hardly any new motoway opening in Italy in the next three years (2016-2018). Only A18 Rosolini - Modica is supposed to open in December 2017.
However, many expressway openings are scheduled.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old February 14th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #8872
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Highway construction tends to go through cycles. At some point a number of long-planned routes are approved and funded, so 3-5 years later a lot of them open to traffic. Sometimes it's due to a change in government, attitude towards road projects or economic stimulus.

France and Portugal are also constructing few new autoroutes / autoestradas these days. Only a handful of kilometers is under construction currently. Poland went through an extreme cycle, they had over 1200 kilometers of motorway under construction from 2010-2012, it then dropped to a low of 250 km in 2014 and is currently over 1000 km again.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 04:31 PM   #8873
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I've realized that there will be hardly any new motoway opening in Italy in the next three years (2016-2018). Only A18 Rosolini - Modica is supposed to open in December 2017.
Because no autostrada is u/c except A18. Which new autostrada constructions are expected to be started next?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #8874
Suburbanist
on the road

A12 is also under construction, if you call the upgrades to existing route like that.
Old February 14th, 2016, 04:45 PM   #8875
MichiH

No widening projects.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old February 14th, 2016, 05:23 PM   #8876
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Highway construction tends to go through cycles. At some point a number of long-planned routes are approved and funded, so 3-5 years later a lot of them open to traffic. Sometimes it's due to a change in government, attitude towards road projects or economic stimulus.

France and Portugal are also constructing few new autoroutes / autoestradas these days. Only a handful of kilometers is under construction currently. Poland went through an extreme cycle, they had over 1200 kilometers of motorway under construction from 2010-2012, it then dropped to a low of 250 km in 2014 and is currently over 1000 km again.
In Lombardy many motorways opened recently because of the Expo 2015. Moreover, we completed the long-awaited projects of A1var and A31 (south).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Because no autostrada is u/c except A18. Which new autostrada constructions are expected to be started next?
In January 2017 works for lots B2 and C of A36 (from SS35 to A51, 26km in total) should start. Openings is scheduled for July 2019.
http://www.stradeanas.it/index.php?/...ntana_lombarda

Also, SP46 dual carriaggeway north of Milan (6km) will become A52 when widenings work are completed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
A12 is also under construction, if you call the upgrades to existing route like that.
Beside the Civitavecchia-Tarquinia section, that opened last summer, and was built by upgrading the 1+1 SS1, there aren't other parts of A12 currently U/C.
That section filled the last 1+1 section between Genoa and Rome. SS1 is a full-standard expressway between San Pietro in Palazzi (A12 terminus south of Livorno) and just south of Grosseto, while it's a dual-carriaggeway with partial grade separation between Grosseto and Tarquinia.

Last edited by italystf; February 14th, 2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old February 14th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #8877
italystf

There's also the A33 Asti-Cuneo project still pending. It's supposed to be completed by 2021 (last data: November 2015), but there are still 35km missing and nobody knows when works will start.
Old February 14th, 2016, 07:27 PM   #8878
MichiH

Northern A31 extension is also "pending".

Old February 14th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #8879
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Northern A31 extension is also "pending".
That's even more uncertain. No route is clearly defined and it will probably become an expressway rather than a motorway.

There are other pending projects too, but they're very long term:
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passante_di_Bologna
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostrada_A14-A1
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gronda_di_Genova
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autost...nale_Cispadana
And also Nogara-sea, A35-A36 link, A18 till Gela, A27 till Pieve di Cadore, etc...

MichiH liked this post
Old February 14th, 2016, 08:09 PM   #8880
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Is there still anything going on at the SS106? Megalotto 3 would be a big one there, as it would complete the expressway between the A14 and the A3.

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways